closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Czech Airforce Precista PRS-9 unboxing and first thoughts ..

Grand Master

Re: Czech Airforce Precista PRS-9 unboxing and first thoughts ..

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

This is the new 43mm Hamilton Jazzmaster Cushion based on a 1923 model. Very CAFesque. It looks like 'the cushion' is coming round again.
    Here's another SwatchCo product: the Tissot "T-Lord" automatic. One of them even has small seconds, but it suffers the usual modern problem of being up against the centre pinion because the 42mm case is too big for the 25.6mm movement:

Happily there is one without the awkward subdial, but again, the small movement is given away by the inboard placement of the date window. This watch would be much better served by the 36.6mm Valgranges movement.

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Czech fighter pilot gets a helping hand from his dog

It is July 1941 and Czech fighter pilots are marking the first anniversary of their service in the UK alongside the Royal Air Force, which has included intense air fighting during the Battle of Britain. Here, as a Czech pilot climbs into his Hurricane to go on patrol, his alsatian, Drak, sits, as he always does, on the port wing of the aircraft, carrying his master's flying helmet and goggles

CZECH IT OUT
    http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/czechlongines.htm

Czech Lemania - years issued ?
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8926

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Just received my PRS-9 today and I am grinning like a loon.

Looking at the Longines pics in the links from Abraxas' above post joins the dots and makes a real emotional connection.

Eddie, congratulations, this watch is a masterpiece. :salute:

Cheers,
    Steve.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing
    That's just the ticket, great colour for the watch.

How would the CAF look on a sub 7 inch wrist? Ok or hideous? FYI it's my wrist size. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by halfdome
    How would the CAF look on a sub 7 inch wrist? Ok or hideous? FYI it's my wrist size. 8)
    Hi there

I have smaller wrists too and it looks (and feels) fine - it's biggish but far from hideous or stupid looking; this is brought about by the elements of classic design coupled with superb workmanship.

Cheers

Ewan

Quote Originally Posted by ewan.w
    Hi there

I have smaller wrists too and it looks (and feels) fine - it's biggish but far from hideous or stupid looking; this is brought about by the elements of classic design coupled with superb workmanship.

Cheers

Ewan
    I think that it would fit sub 7 inch wrists fine, though the strap is sized so that you would need to put another hole in it or fit another one.

Journeyman

Well I have a 6.25inch wrist and it fits and looks great. Actually, it sits perfectly as the lugs hug the wrist...

Pete, I'm in the same wrist-league - would You be so kind and post a few wristshots from various angles?

Thank You
    Brane

Quote Originally Posted by kfman
    http://stachstraps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/30-04-2012-strap-418-prs-9.html

A new strap is ready :)
    Ooh, that looks the dogs danglies - look forward to seeing a picture of it on the watch.
    The Stach strap arrived yesterday and I had the chance to take a few pictures tonight.

I also had a mess about with macro and tried some closer up shots of the watch face.

Ewan, how's the review going?
    I'm looking forward to seeing it and I've added a few more photo's into the CAF photobucket album.

Ooh, that looks the dogs danglies - look forward to seeing a picture of it on the watch.
    The Stach strap arrived yesterday and I had the chance to take a few pictures tonight.

I also had a mess about with macro and tried some closer up shots of the watch face.

I'm looking forward to seeing it and I've added a few more photo's into the CAF photobucket album.
    Nice strap!!

Review coming along well, it's a long job though :-)

Won't be too long now.

Looking forward very much. It's a joy to read Your reviews and it's magic how they often influence the balance ...

Cheers
    Brane

Quote Originally Posted by ewan.w
    Review coming along well, it's a long job though :-)

Won't be too long now.
    Likewise Ewan Your reviews are always a delight and i cannot wait.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoCop
    Pete, I'm in the same wrist-league - would You be so kind and post a few wristshots from various angles?

Thank You
    Brane

Will do, just give me a few days. Trust me, I really think it suits the smaller wrist...

Gorgeous strap and some of the best pics of the CAF but ... the buckle side of the strap is too long bringing the buckle too high on the inside of the wrist ... and something that will annoy me no end.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Gorgeous strap and some of the best pics of the CAF but ... the buckle side of the strap is too long bringing the buckle too high on the inside of the wrist ... and something that will annoy me no end.

john
    This was (is) my issue with the supplied strap, so I have asked Stach to make me one of these but to make it such that the buckle sits in the middle of the underside of my wrist. He has my wirst size, so fingers crossed, I don't get this issue.

That Stach strap is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by david stinson
    That Stach strap is stunning.
    They used the whole cow. :D

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

The emergence of the whole artisanal strap thing is really interesting.

The Stach is closer to what would have been fitted to the original CAF, i.e., a cut-edge strap which is more suited to a tool watch. I did not, however, expect the Precista CAF to be worn as a tool watch and I chose soft glove leather from Pittards tannery. Because the leather is comparatively thin it's not suitable to make a cut-edge strap, remborde construction is more appropriate so that's what you got.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

If you don't mind me asking Eddie, did Pittards take an interest in the project and it's historical setting or was it just another transaction to them? I think I remember you saying they had never done a strap before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    If you don't mind me asking Eddie, did Pittards take an interest in the project and it's historical setting or was it just another transaction to them? I think I remember you saying they had never done a strap before.
    I doubt they even knew what the leather was purchased for, Pittards didn't make the strap.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoCop

Thank You
    Brane

OK here are a few Q&D to try and show how it sits on 6.25in wrist:

Funnily enough, it sits and feels better than it looks in the pics...

Of course, as others have noted the strap is certainly too long. But I'm used to this (straps are almost always too long for me; certainly on bigger watches they are). I invested in a leather hole punch years ago...

HTH

Blog Entries

Great watch and nice pics.. loving it on the Toshi avacado to be honest.

They compliment each other so well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Well I have a 6.25inch wrist and it fits and looks great. Actually, it sits perfectly as the lugs hug the wrist...
    Thanks for the assurance. Now it becomes a money problem.

Master

Received mine this week,very classily packaged with nice touches such as the inscribed box and Leather travel pouch.
    It's more than a great value for money watch,it blends retro with modern superbly even the missus likes it for this reason.
    Ordered a couple of Crown and Buckle vintage leather straps to try with it,though the Pittards strap is a delight also.
    Very impressed.

Nice strap I have a Czech Longines that I been looking for a better strap for.Liked the looks of your strap and found the Stach site and emailed him with this address.
    pan-stasiu@wp.pl and it was the wrong address it's what he has posted at his site any one have better contact info for Stach straps thanks.

pan-stasiu@wp.pl works fine for me and I've emailed several times with this one.

Re: Grandfather and Son

Quote Originally Posted by Finkaudio

wonderful!!! i love the prs9 but i like very much also the third and the fourth clock.
    what brand are they? and models? I can not find them anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Thanks for the assurance. Now it becomes a money problem.
    Pete, thank You for indulging me - and others too it seems ... :D

Your pics and Ewan's reassuring review now combine forces against my balance ...

Cheers!
    Brane

sergio65

I also went for the Stach strap.... very nice fellow.

Very nice strap too, and very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio65

Great choice and I see by Stach's blog that he's been making of few of this style recently. Has anyone else here got one through also?

Master

Great choice and I see by Stach's blog that he's been making of few of this style recently. Has anyone else here got one through also?
    Just picked mine up today. Very happy with the quality and the way it looks on the watch and on the wrist. If I had one ask, it would be to taper (thin) the leather at the buckle end (as is done on the PRS20 strap) so that the whole thing is not too thick on the underside of your wrist, but that is a minor niggle.

Just picked mine up today. Very happy with the quality and the way it looks on the watch and on the wrist. If I had one ask, it would be to taper (thin) the leather at the buckle end (as is done on the PRS20 strap) so that the whole thing is not too thick on the underside of your wrist, but that is a minor niggle.
    That was my original plan, to have it tapered though unfortunately Stach was out of 22mm buckles at the time.

Thanks.What I did wrong was put a period at the end of his email address I copied and pasted his email address from his web site and the period got copied.Now it worked after I removed the period and Stach made this one for my Czech Longines with open end for the fixed lugs like how he aged the hardware and the darker brown leather.Should get it in a week or two.
    http://stachstraps.blogspot.com/2012/05 ... n-end.html

pan-stasiu@wp.pl works fine for me and I've emailed several times with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    Thanks.What I did wrong was put a period at the end of his email address I copied and pasted his email address from his web site and the period got copied.Now it worked after I removed the period and Stach made this one for my Czech Longines with open end for the fixed lugs like how he aged the hardware and the darker brown leather.Should get it in a week or two.
    http://stachstraps.blogspot.com/2012/05 ... n-end.html

Looks great, though I'm now tempted to get something like that in 18mm for either the PRS-53 or PRS-6

Hi - I'm new around here, but the proud new owner of PRS-9 no. 85.

I don't see a lot of love for the supplied strap of Prittards leather. It's lovely, imo. Buttery soft, flexible, the bronzed hardware looks fantastic and I like a slightly longer strap so it's perfect for my 7.5" wrist. The color is total class, as well.

At the moment, it's the only leather strap I own and I wouldn't have this watch any other way!

(I've been trying to get a photo at the office on my Blackberry, but it's not so good for watches...)

Cheers - Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc67
    Hi - I'm new around here, but the proud new owner of PRS-9 no. 85.

I don't see a lot of love for the supplied strap of Prittards leather. It's lovely, imo. Buttery soft, flexible, the bronzed hardware looks fantastic and I like a slightly longer strap so it's perfect for my 7.5" wrist. The color is total class, as well.

At the moment, it's the only leather strap I own and I wouldn't have this watch any other way!

(I've been trying to get a photo at the office on my Blackberry, but it's not so good for watches...)

Cheers - Jeff C
    Welcome to the forum Jeff. I do like the supplied strap and it is fantastic quality, I just fancied something a bit beefier.

Thanks, Carl, and thanks for this thread... if you hadn't posted those great shots, I might not have pulled the trigger on this beauty.

It's probably the most "beautiful" watch I own (I have a box full of tool divers). Completely smitten.

Cheers - Jeff

ps. How do I get promoted to Sergeant? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc67
    Thanks, Carl, and thanks for this thread... if you hadn't posted those great shots, I might not have pulled the trigger on this beauty.

It's probably the most "beautiful" watch I own (I have a box full of tool divers). Completely smitten.

Cheers - Jeff

ps. How do I get promoted to Sergeant? ;-)
    Your welcome Jeff, it is a beauty.

Promotion to Sergeant comes after a certain amount of posts. You reach certain ranks after certain amounts of posts and access to other areas of the forum. The most popular and controversial being sales corner after 250 posts.

I just posted on the Sewills Marine Chronometer thread about bezel serrations and the PRS-9 ... did you know that one way of turning the bezel of watches such as the PRS-9 is to cup the palm of the other hand on the crystal, and turn? Try it. :wink:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I found out about stach straps here on this thread and I got it a while ago.Here are a few photo's.I like how he aged the hardware and the leather looks like the strap was on this watch for years looks all most original to the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat
    I found out about stach straps here on this thread and I got it a while ago.Here are a few photo's.I like how he aged the hardware and the leather looks like the strap was on this watch for years looks all most original to the watch.

That is a beauty :love5:

There are some pics of the "9" in this thread that we haven't seen on this forum.

Czech this out. Lots of Pictures.
    http://christopherwardforum.com/viewtop ... =8&t=12598

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

3 years on

I see it's been three years already since I first posted on here.

Since then Ewan did a great review: http://www.watcharoo.co.uk/prs9.htm

It's been featured on Worn & Wound: http://wornandwound.com/2014/06/19/a...ech-air-force/

Eddie's sold out and it doesn't look like they'll be anymore.

Longines themselves have produced their own CAF reissue which I have to say doesn't compare to the Precista from what I can see. They've spoilt the lugs and chucked in a date. Shown here: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introdu...h-pilots-watch

Gerlach the Polish watch company have one in the works and are still in the early stages of design:

I thought I'd update this a little as yesterday I received a new strap for the CAF from pavstraps.

Previously I'd been wearing this mostly on an Avocado Toshi or Stach strap but I found it a little bulky. So I contacted Pav to make this one with a 24/22mm taper. I really like it and it's given the poor old CAF a new lease of life.

So how is everyone else getting on with theirs?
    Last edited by dowsing; 7th May 2015 at 15:31. Reason: Added worn & wound

Apprentice
    Lovely looking watch that.

Is that model still available Carl?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    Is that model still available Carl?
    Sold out I'm afraid Max, some still come up for sale now and again.

Craftsman
    Looks very smart! Wear in good health :-)