closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Czech Airforce Precista PRS-9 unboxing and first thoughts ..

Czech Airforce Precista PRS-9 unboxing and first thoughts ..

Warning this thread is a bit of a modem burner as there are a lot of pictures!

*EDIT* Please also see bestak's great review of the CAF here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=220659

Today I was lucky enough to receive a parcel in the post, I put an order in early Tuesday morning to Eddie just after the PRS-9 CAF became available online. I received tracking confirmation yesterday and it's here now.

As always with Eddie the packaging was great and could survive a fight with Chuck Norris.

Ok, here comes the opening.

Here I am greeted by the nice pine box with the legend "PRECISTA MAJETEK VOJENSKE SPRAVY"

Underneath the box there is an envelope that has the instruction leaflet for the watch.

Banned

Re: Czech Airforce Precista PRS-9 unboxing and first thoughts ..

nice box,where is the watch?

Next it's down to business let's get this box out and open it!

The first thing I see is a handy big blue polishing cloth. I open this and there is a timefactors pen (which my other half has now stolen, she has good taste so it must be good) and a strap changing tool which is very useful for me as my other one is a bit chipped. Please ignore the green NATO, that was ordered in addition for another watch.

Next I remove these bits to see what is next.

Even Bettie the cat is interested now, what's this?

Quote Originally Posted by soapy
    nice box,where is the watch?
    Patience soapy I'm getting there :)

Next I find the card with the watch details and one of Eddie's business cards. I'm really chuffed with this as I get the number I was looking for and as chance would have it, it's dated for my birthday next week.

I now take out the leather pouch made by aero next, this is very fitting with the box and I like the style as it really gives the package a great retro feel.

In the pouch the watch is carefully wrapped in another polishing cloth.

The back and front of the CAF have protective stickers on

I quickly compare it the watch I'm wearing which is a Stowa Marine Original

Stickers off and and next to the Stowa

Here's a closer shot of the case back

Now the first wrist shots

It fits very nicely and comfortably. I have previously owned a Zeno Retro Carre CAF homage and the Prectista's lugs drop a bit sharper

The bezel turns easily with friction, no clicks on this one.

The crystal is a highish acrylic with a very low dome.

The dial is very legible with the Cathedral hands. Nicely put together with "Great Britain" at the bottom under the seconds sub dial. I like that the sub dial is complete without being chopped at all and that Great Britain fits underneath it nicely.

Now all my other Precista's want to meet their new brother, so I introduce them and then compare them size wise.

From left to right here are a PRS-20LE, the CAF, a PRS-50LE and a PRS-18Q
    This can give you a bit more of an idea how the CAF compares size wise to Eddie's other watches.

Next some of Eddie's smaller models with the CAF, a PRS-53 and a Broadarrow PRS-6 from left to right to compare with

It's a shiny thing!

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I thought that I'd try out a few straps to see what they look like on the CAF. I must say that the strap it comes with is of great quality, though please do check the rivets as mine were a bit loose and I think another member found the same. I will probably get a Stach strap made for this one in time.

Here are some different looks from what I had strap wise available in the watch box.

First up was a brown leather NATO

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it :)

At last, a picture with the bezel turned and the red marker away from 12! :D
    F.T.F.A.

Next was an avocado Toshi

Finally a grey 3 ring Rhino/Zulu strap

What straps do you find work best with this watch?

Since selling my Zeno CAF homage I found that I missed it a lot, I am now very happy to be replacing it with the Precista. The acrylic crystal, movable bezel, waterproofing, super smooth winding, quality case and whole package make this a watch that I plan on keeping.

Thank you Eddie for a great creation, persisting with it when you felt like packing it in and give yourself a well deserved pat on the back...or pint :salute:

Banned

very good thank you,the attention to detail is secound to none.

can you tell me the idea behind the red marker/bezel moving around?

Quote Originally Posted by soapy
    very good thank you,the attention to detail is secound to none.

can you tell me the idea behind the red marker/bezel moving around?
    Thanks soapy, the red marker bezel is for a timer either to mark the start of something or to where to finish. An earlier and simpler version of the divers numbered bezels.

Nice review. Just like to know when you said bezel turn easily - is it too easily turn (loose)?

Thanks very much for the comprehensive review and all those real life photos!!! The watch looks great!

BTW, you might want to edit the "Mercedes hands" thing... it's cathedral hands :mrgreen:

Oh, and Bettie is a beauty!!

Quote Originally Posted by kempoman
    Nice review. Just like to know when you said bezel turn easily - is it too easily turn (loose)?
    No it's pretty much ideal, not at all sloppy or to stiff. It turns well with a firm grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov
    Thanks very much for the comprehensive review and all those real life photos!!! The watch looks great!

BTW, you might want to edit the "Mercedes hands" thing... it's cathedral hands :mrgreen:

Oh, and Bettie is a beauty!!
    Thanks Kutusov, I've edited it accordingly to change it to Cathedral hands.

Yep, Bettie is a beauty and she knows it :)

Carl, nice work for us undecided. Thanks!
    All I need is - what's Your wrist size, and - a report on "lume behaviour"!
    Enjoy the CAF
    Brane

Master

Expect mine to arrive on the morrow. Only thing I'm unsure of is the gap between the strap and the case - looks a bit big. A NATO would sort this out if it bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoCop
    Carl, nice work for us undecided. Thanks!
    All I need is - what's Your wrist size, and - a report on "lume behaviour"!
    Enjoy the CAF
    Brane
    My wrist size is about 7 inches and the lume appears to be pretty good, though it's bit early to say for sure.

Here are a couple of lume shots after charging up the lume with a mini UV torch.

Quote Originally Posted by kfman
    Expect mine to arrive on the morrow. Only thing I'm unsure of is the gap between the strap and the case - looks a bit big. A NATO would sort this out if it bugs me.
    I found with the Zeno CAF there was less of a gap, but it annoyed me as it was to little to fit certain kinds of straps (such as the leather NATO pictured in the review). With this you can fill the gap by getting a beefy strap or going the NATO route.

Nice review, and very nice watch. I like it on the leather NATO in particular, but the strap it came on looks ace too.

Master

Beautiful British watch - well done Eddie. And is that Beautiful Bettie a British Blue?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    Beautiful British watch - well done Eddie. And is that Beautiful Bettie a British Blue?
    That's a mouthful, try saying that three times fast :D

No, she is in fact a Russian. This is her on the right and Dita on the left

Thank you for such a detailed post Carl, I'm sure it will help many members decide whether the PRS-9 CAF has a place in their collection, especially with the useful comparative shots. It's not a watch for me, but i'm struck again by the care and attention of the design, the packaging and extras included in TF watches - not forgetting the VFM. Congratulations to Eddie for bringing another project to a successful conclusion and Carl I hope you enjoy your new watch.

Cheers

David

P.S. Just spotted the Latin motto on the case back, "non multi, sed multa" - literally "Not many but much." In other words, quality not quantity - "The Few!"
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    P.S. Just spotted the Latin motto on the case back, "non multi, see multa" - literally "Not many but much." In other words, quality not quantity - "The Few!"
    A-ha, thanks for translating that! My Latin classes 1982-1984 failed me, Mrs.Bowie wouldn't be happy :lol:

Thanks again Carl and enjoy wearing the CAF!
    Brane

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing

I remember green went particularly well with the Zeno. Perhaps that's why I like the avocado .

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Did you do a Youtube video as well? :wink:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Nicepost Carl, Cheers 8) and congrats Eddie, a lovely watch well realized :D

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Did you do a Youtube video as well? :wink:

Eddie
    Afraid not Eddie, I've yet to ever do a YouTube video. Well done on all your hard work with the CAF.

Really great review - thanks for taking the time to do it!

Very very tempted - maybe potential for a passaround perhaps...

Mine just arrived. First thoughts, wow! If this is what you had in mind Mr Platts, I am now no longer surprised that you didn't want to sell the Zeno. :lol:

It is an excellent watch and hangs just right from every angle. You might as well close down all your other models and only sell this watch. I remember you saying (those days) that it was strange that nobody was using this design ... and guess what? Still nobody is using it. :D

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Mine just arrived. First thoughts, wow! If this is what you had in mind Mr Platts, I am now no longer surprised that you didn't want to sell the Zeno. :lol:

It is an excellent watch and hangs just right from every angle. You might as well close down all your other models and only sell this watch. I remember you saying (those days) that it was strange that nobody was using this design ... and guess what? Still nobody is using it. :D

john

Will be good to hear more of your thoughts over the next few days John! from what I have read, you have been waiting for this one...

The early shots do show a stunning watch. Cheers

Master

That's great work, the pic with the other Eddies was useful as well. Excellent pictures and comprehensive coverage, couldn't ask for more!

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD

Will be good to hear more of your thoughts over the next few days John! from what I have read, you have been waiting for this one...

It's a million miles from the Zeno. The way the metal changes direction in 3 dimensions is exceptional work. At a certain angle the lugs drop-off and disappear, making it look like a quality cushion-watch. The polished hands work and reflect light at the same angle as the cushion surround.

I am not even sure if the original Longines was as good. It doesn't look 'vintage' at all. It is a totally modern watch. Up to yesterday I was lamenting the Zeno but today it is like the Zeno never happened.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

john

Yes please do post up some more of your thoughts on the CAF. Any other owners for that matter, I'd be most interested to hear your thoughts and see your pictures.

john

Yes please do post up some more of your thoughts on the CAF. Any other owners for that matter, I'd be most interested to hear your thoughts and see your pictures.

Your picture on Friday thread makes it look stunning Carl!

BTW - Love the cat picture. I also have a Russian :drunken:

It's a million miles from the Zeno. The way the metal changes direction in 3 dimensions is exceptional work. At a certain angle the lugs drop-off and disappear, making it look like a quality cushion-watch. The polished hands work and reflect light at the same angle as the cushion surround.

I am not even sure if the original Longines was as good. It doesn't look 'vintage' at all. It is a totally modern watch. Up to yesterday I was lamenting the Zeno but today it is like the Zeno never happened.

john
    Praise indeed but you can stop now John, I'm filling up :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Hi Carl

Thanks for posting these.

I do love the "slow reveal" when it comes to a new watch... :-)

Great comparison with the Stowa... I was thinking it would be larger but I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    deano

Master

It's a million miles from the Zeno.

john
    :lol: I'm looking forward to comparing them :!:

Your picture on Friday thread makes it look stunning Carl!

BTW - Love the cat picture. I also have a Russian :drunken:
    Thanks, you have great taste in cats as well as watches :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper

john
    I'd be interested to see a direct comparison Alan and I found the Davosa comparison interesting. Though as John said it really does make the Zeno redundant.

I've got some pics of my old Zeno here:
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ ... rre%20CAF/

Here you can kind of get an idea of it on it's own. The Zeno is a very nice watch though Eddie takes the CAF to a much better level.

I remember green went particularly well with the Zeno. Perhaps that's why I like the avocado .

john
    I wish someone would do two straps:

a) a green EXACTLY the colour of the NATO - the Toshi avocado isn't quite that colour:

b) a dark british racing green (perhaps with black stitching?).

Quote Originally Posted by david stinson

john
    I wish someone would do two straps:

a) a green EXACTLY the colour of the NATO - the Toshi avocado isn't quite that colour:

b) a dark british racing green (perhaps with black stitching?).
    The avocado is an unusual strap as it is a bit chameleon like and can appear different colours at different times. Sometimes it is a British racing green shade.

I had the camera at work today and felt I had to take a quick sneaky pic with a bit more light when it was 10.10am.

Craftsman

Superb photos... and a stunning watch - definitely worth the wait!

:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper

john
    I'd be interested to see a direct comparison Alan and I found the Davosa comparison interesting. Though as John said it really does make the Zeno redundant.

I've got some pics of my old Zeno here:
    http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a394/ ... rre%20CAF/

Here you can kind of get an idea of it on it's own. The Zeno is a very nice watch though Eddie takes the CAF to a much better level.
    There's another one here under Mechanic Instruments
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/info-19 ... 02704.html

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I thought that I'd try out a few straps to see what they look like on the CAF. I must say that the strap it comes with is of great quality, though please do check the rivets as mine were a bit loose and I think another member found the same. I will probably get a Stach strap made for this one in time.

Here are some different looks from what I had strap wise available in the watch box.

First up was a brown leather NATO

Great review & pics, thank you for your time and efforts.

I see you have a nice NATO calf, it looks great on the CAF, wear it well.

PS And give Bettie a big hug:)

As I said ...

At a certain angle the lugs drop-off and disappear, making it look like a quality cushion-watch.
    It's not a great pic but it took me ages to 'capture the cushion'. :D

john
    THIN is the new BLACK