closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko MM vs. Rolex DSSD; some facts - your opinion please!

Blog Entries

Seiko MM vs. Rolex DSSD; some facts - your opinion please!

I was searching the 'net for a proper review of the Seiko MM vs. the Rolex SD. I found only one on WUS and sadly, the pics are removed, leaving only the text. (Half the fun!).

Here are some facts (found them on WUS http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/com...ml#post4226612

----------------------------------------Rolex DSSD - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Seiko MM300
    Case Diameter - - - - - - - - - - - - 44 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 44
    Case Length - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 52 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 50
    Thickness - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 17+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 15
    Dial Diameter - - - - - - - - - - - - - 28 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 30+
    Lug Width - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 21 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --20
    Clasp Width- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 17 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 20
    Bezel OD - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 43 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 42
    Bezel ID - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 31+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 31
    Weight - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 212 gr. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -209 gr.

I will not include the price, because I don't know the actual price of a SD. Furthermore, I'm unable to come up with a proper looking chart

Furthermore, using Google, I only found one pic of a MM next to a SD.

I really would like to read your opinion -or better- review (!) comparing both watches!

Master

Re: Seiko MM vs. Rolex SD; some facts - your opinion please!

you need to edit your title
    a better comparison would be the DSSD and the MM600 the mm300 is more suited to the SD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    you need to edit your title
    a better comparison would be the DSSD and the MM600 the mm300 is more suited to the SD
    Yes DSSD and the MM. Title changed. I added the (confusing - I know) pic of the MM600 - the MM300 and the Sea-Dweller because I was unable to source a better pic.

There's one comparing to a Sub here:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 8619&rid=0

As said above, I don't think the two really compare. They're very different watches, differing sizes and the one cost 4 times what the other does. MM600 would be a reasonable comparison.
    Thanks for the link! I had missed that one!
    I think they can be compared size-wise (see the chart above). The difference prise-wise makes a comparison between those watches even more interesting. Your statement about 'they're very different watches' is the most interesting part (imho). That's what I would like to read!
    I agree that comparing a SD with the MM600 is very tempting, but I don't own one. I do own a MM and I sometimes think of saving up money for... you guessed it.

Menno

EDIT: few pics added, including a pic explaining why I left the MM600 out of the equation, the thickness of the MM600

Master

No SD I know, but just in case you missed this review comparing a mm300 to a 16610 LV: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/co...lv-296162.html

Master

Re: Seiko MM vs. Rolex DSSD; some facts - your opinion please!

I've owned a couple of MM300s and have tried the DSSD on quite a few times. The latter seems to wear much larger for the followings reasons:

1. The bezel of the MM looks smaller and the dial size especially so.
    2. The case sides of the DSSD are relatively flat, making it appear more slab-sided than the MM300, which although 44mm at its widest point appears more like 42mm due to the case shape
    3. The taper of the MM300 bracelet is less pronounced than that of the DSSD

In my view they can't be regarded as comparable in size, but as others state the MM600 is closer in dimensions and apparent size to the DSSD. The MM300 makes a SD look small, but is itself dwarfed by the DSSD.

I've tried to fall for the DSSD but it's too large for my daily wear, whereas the MM300 has done duty on a daily basis, dressed up and down no problem.

Ant

The SD is a completely different watch than the other two. It's significantly (!) larger. If you want a daily wearer and you usually wear shirts, then DSSD or MM300.

A nice review here:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/me ... edition%29

Master

Quote Originally Posted by emvy
    The SD is a completely different watch than the other two. It's significantly (!) larger. If you want a daily wearer and you usually wear shirts, then DSSD or MM300.

A nice review here:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/me ... edition%29
    Think you may have that the wrong way round, in terms of size DSSD > MM300 > SD

Not sure where the MM600 fits in, but suspect its the biggest of the lot.

Ant

In comparison the MM is a bit of cheap tat, simple as that - the bracelet is awful (not just the clasp) the rubbers look crap and cheap - the bezel action isn't great, the crown action isn't great (and I've read quite a few issues on that as well) - the lume on the face isn't applied that well - at least not on around 5 I have seen in person - that said, I love the look of the dial and it is one of the best watch dials lookswise I've seen.

The DSSD is thicker and heavier and feels it - but is also more comfortable.

Not sure it is too fair to compare - but there are a lot of flaws which bug me on the MM300 and if they built a better quality version and charged more I'd buy it - but Seiko need a decent clasp and bracelet feel, at least Rolex have now managed that.

Just moving the bezel, or winding the crown on the DSSD provides a tactile feel of high quality and solid construction - no other traditional cased watch I have played with feels as secure and robust.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    In comparison the MM is a bit of cheap tat, simple as that - the bracelet is awful (not just the clasp) the rubbers look crap and cheap - the bezel action isn't great, the crown action isn't great (and I've read quite a few issues on that as well) - the lume on the face isn't applied that well - at least not on around 5 I have seen in person - that said, I love the look of the dial and it is one of the best watch dials lookswise I've seen.

Not sure it is too fair to compare...
    Funny how opinions differ. My MM300s were some of the best built watches I've owned and must admit the greater allure of the Subs I currently have is as much tribute to the brand as much as anything else. I prefer the trip lock crown, but the bezel action of the MM300 was/is better, the lume glows FAR better and I believe is applied by hand hence the lumpiness. But for me this is character and a reason for the hefty glow. And the case of the MM300 has much more fine detail and a one piece design. The Seiko bracelet is better than the traditional Sub Oyster (which feels cheap, though works well), though admittedly not as good as the revised Rolex bracelets.

The merits of the Sub vs the MM300 have been discussed at length by many more knowledgeable than me. But at the price point for me they are a very good quality watch vs the classic Subs, for me only the crown looks a bit weedy. I wear the Rolexes for the feel good factor, not because they are the best manufactured black dial divers.

However I eagerly await the new Sub ND and expect that for me will be the ultimate black dial diver. But I might yet acquire another MM300 for when I don't want to worry about damaging it :wink:

Ant

In comparison the MM is a bit of cheap tat, simple as that - the bracelet is awful (not just the clasp) the rubbers look crap and cheap - the bezel action isn't great, the crown action isn't great (and I've read quite a few issues on that as well) - the lume on the face isn't applied that well - at least not on around 5 I have seen in person - that said, I love the look of the dial and it is one of the best watch dials lookswise I've seen.========
    The 20mm lugs on the MM300 don't work either. They have stopped me getting one on a number of occasions.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by frp422

Not sure it is too fair to compare...
    Funny how opinions differ. My MM300s were some of the best built watches I've owned and must admit the greater allure of the Subs I currently have is as much tribute to the brand as much as anything else. I prefer the trip lock crown, but the bezel action of the MM300 was/is better, the lume glows FAR better and I believe is applied by hand hence the lumpiness. But for me this is character and a reason for the hefty glow. And the case of the MM300 has much more fine detail and a one piece design. The Seiko bracelet is better than the traditional Sub Oyster (which feels cheap, though works well), though admittedly not as good as the revised Rolex bracelets.

The merits of the Sub vs the MM300 have been discussed at length by many more knowledgeable than me. But at the price point for me they are a very good quality watch vs the classic Subs, for me only the crown looks a bit weedy. I wear the Rolexes for the feel good factor, not because they are the best manufactured black dial divers.

However I eagerly await the new Sub ND and expect that for me will be the ultimate black dial diver. But I might yet acquire another MM300 for when I don't want to worry about damaging it :wink:

Ant
    Personal preference counts for a lot - I much prefer the bezel action on every uni-directional Rolex I have ever tried over the MM300's I've tried. The lume I could live with - it is after all a completely different price bracket - but for a £1.5k watch should not be like that. The bracelets on the Rolex are much better, only the older clasp could be compared and come out wanting compared to the MM300 - the links of the Rolex are much better imho.

Don't get me wrong, I would quite happily have an MM300 in my collection, I've tried a couple out with one on loan but still haven't put the cash down on the table for one.
    It's just a matter of time...