timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shoes again

Master

Re: Shoes again

Quote Originally Posted by whoami
    Which style did you buy? ^^^^
    Hi, They are 'New York', here are the fellas (nicked internet pic), mine look loads shiny-er than this pic! .........PS I did get a pair :lol:

great photos of the cheaney factory here

http://stylesalvage.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... eaney.html

I've a couple of pairs of Church's, Grensons and recently while in Northampton I was looking to get a pair of Trickers(brogue boots), actually bought a couple of pairs of Barker's, pretty good quality, the brogue boots from the Harrison range are very nice and pretty reasonable cost wise, think they are excellent and well worth a mention!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Shipton and Heneage shoes are all made for them by other manufacturers- for example, the Addington wholecut is made by Cheaney.
    I know this as I've just ordered a pair, and their customer services dude filled me in on which last, width fitting etc- so all I had to do is go and try on a pair of Cheaneys somewhere to get the right size ordered. Very helpful in fact, so simply on their openness I would say they're worth a shot.
    I've just heard back from them that the Skye Oxfords are made by Cheaney as well. Given that the Cheaney Lime is £225 and the Skye's are £199, with a further 10% discount if you Di Facebook, then that's around £45 difference! :shock:

Hi,

Give Shoehealer, Doncaster a ring, they also have a web site. Richard will certainly help you.

Here are a few he sold to me and yes i think trickers are the best.

Regards.

Keith.

Master

Grenson for me

Ive found Grenson to be the best mix of quality, durability and price.

Had my first pair over ten years ago when I was at school, would play football while wearing them every lunch time! Still have that pair, in fact I wore them to work today!! Since then I buy Grensons when I want a shoe that can take a beating.

Barkers are also smart and I like Sweeney's and Crockett & Jones but none are as tough as Grenson.

Also, I have Jones shoes and although they are much cheaper I always feel that they are of a poorer quality.

Banned

Well I've gone for a pair of Loake Aldwych from Pediwear, mainly because I get free shoe trees with the shoes and some other goodies from joining their loake club. Let's see how they match up! ;)

Craftsman

Another vote here for C&J, they make great shoes. Not cheap, but well worth it. I've never tried Grenson shoes, but after the previous post I might take a look. Not even sure if they're available in Ireland to try out?

Can't recommend Loakes enough.

Had my pair for over a year now and they fit so nice. Make sure you go for the made in Britain range, as they have started to make a cheaper range which I am told do not last anywhere near as well.

Note: They often take a little time to wear in, mine hurt for about two weeks (worn bi-daily) but then once the leather adapted to my feet were so sweet!

Tom

The only Loake that are made in England are the 1880 Collection. The Aldwych is from this range.

A note regarding Grenson; the previous Rose and Rushden collections are now, under the ownership of Tim Little, G1 and G2 respectively. Most of what you see about is the former Rushden series, aka. G2.

Specifically, this refers to those Archie / Dylan / Stanley brogues etc.
    Sadly, these are Made in India.

edit - a tip, Want to find out which you have? Does it say Made in England? If not, then it isn't. Has it got a red leather footbed (i.e the embossed Grenson 'G' heel portion)? Made in India.

Master

Well.. just ordered a pair of entry level loakes from for an upcoming wedding (not mine!) as a first foray into the world of decent shoes.. looking forward to seeing what they are like!

Journeyman
    Africa/Wales. British by birth, Yorkshireman by the Grace of God

From my experience Church are the best, then Barkers and then Loakes, i find the Loakes uppers are not has good as the other two.

I would love a pair of Churches but cannot quite get the urge to spend £300 on a pair of shoes.

Blog Entries

You boys know Nowt :)

You're not a real man unless you have invested in a pair of Oliver Sweeney's finest

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    You boys know Nowt :)

You're not a real man unless you have invested in a pair of Oliver Sweeney's finest
    A workmate used to say the same about Vass bespoke!

Worth checking out George Cleverley ready to wear range in the royal arcade. You can get really good deals in their sale.

http://www.gjcleverley.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip
    A workmate used to say the same about Vass bespoke!
    I'd agree with him, except that Vass doesn't do true bespoke shoemaking. They do make exceptionally good shoes, however. My first pair is still my favourite:

And of course, when you get a good collection going, you need somewhere to keep them...

http://www.styleforum.net/t/121126/my-s ... oe-cabinet

Master

Thanks again to the TZ community!

Ordered a basic pair of Loakes from Herring Shoes. They were not in stock until friday and I needed them for a wedding yesterday. The sent them special delivery at no extra cost and they were here saturday AM. Initially a little stiff, I wore them all day yesterday and they fit beautifully. Was expecting some rubbing initially, but nothing and they feel like slippers now!
    well recommended!

For those in the london area I can't recomend Mens traditonal shoes in camberwell highly enough Fred has been around for decades and has the best price bar none e.g a pair of black suede alfred sargent brouges (uk9) for 120!!! Not even slight seconds, shame they are a siz2 too small for me.

I've just had a pair of loake 747's off him for 89quid and a pair of 758's for 100 can't beat that price anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77
    The only Loake that are made in England are the 1880 Collection. The Aldwych is from this range.

A note regarding Grenson; the previous Rose and Rushden collections are now, under the ownership of Tim Little, G1 and G2 respectively. Most of what you see about is the former Rushden series, aka. G2.

edit - a tip, Want to find out which you have? Does it say Made in England? If not, then it isn't. Has it got a red leather footbed (i.e the embossed Grenson 'G' heel portion)? Made in India.
    I thought its only the L1 series loakes that were made in india?

For example loake state that their 758 are "made in england" http://www.loake.co.uk/758.html?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla
    And of course, when you get a good collection going, you need somewhere to keep them...

http://www.styleforum.net/t/121126/my-s ... oe-cabinet
    Comment rhymes with clucking bell...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dtc2
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR

Fact of the day - Church's is actually owned by Prada.
    and churchs own cheaney but let then run as an independant business.
    Cheaney were owned by Prada when they took over Church shoes. Two of the Church cousins bought the Cheaney operation from Prada, left the board of Church shoes and now run it as an independant concern.

Banned

Well, I now have the Loake Aldwych on and they are as if they are tailored for my feet; Pediwear get special praise for their handling of the transaction and the goodies you get.

In keeping with the advice to get two pairs, I've also bought a pair of Cheaney Hector II; which whilst £275, come with a free refurbishment voucher worth £90 which brings the shoes down to £185 (given that I would pay for the refurbishment in the future anyway.

These arrived today from Herring.

Built like bomb shelters : likely to last a lifetime.

Box included shoe bags, cloth, polish, shoehorn and spare laces.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp

For example loake state that their 758 are "made in england" http://www.loake.co.uk/758.html?
    That is interesting. I'm not sure that I entirely believe it, certainly not at the price. The 758 is part of the 'Shoemakers' range, and even if this model is honestly made in England I wouldn't be convinced it's reflective of the rest of the range. 'Design' and 'L1' for instance are not for the most part English made shoes despite the Loake 'Jack' as an example claiming made in England -the 'Design' range by and large being made overseas e.g. India...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian
    These arrived today from Herring.

Built like bomb shelters : likely to last a lifetime.

Box included shoe bags, cloth, polish, shoehorn and spare laces.
    Nice one David.

I got a pair of Cannings in Walnut a few ago :D
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I did a bit more digging it seems as though you're right the 1880 range are the only shoes that are 100% made in england the others are 90% assembled overseas in countries like poland or italy then welted over here in england. In doing so it means loake can still add the made in england monkier to these shoes

However this is not a slight on loake even buying a pair from the shoemakers range will mean you have better quality shoes than 90% of the population in the 'rat race'

That is interesting. I'm not sure that I entirely believe it, certainly not at the price. The 758 is part of the 'Shoemakers' range, and even if this model is honestly made in England I wouldn't be convinced it's reflective of the rest of the range. 'Design' and 'L1' for instance are not for the most part English made shoes despite the Loake 'Jack' as an example claiming made in England -the 'Design' range by and large being made overseas e.g. India...

I did a bit more digging it seems as though you're right the 1880 range are the only shoes that are 100% made in england the others are 90% assembled overseas in countries like poland or italy then welted over here in england. In doing so it means loake can still add the made in england monkier to these shoes

However this is not a slight on loake even buying a pair from the shoemakers range will mean you have better quality shoes than 90% of the population in the 'rat race'
    Yes for sure, they are still good shoes no doubt and eminently preferable to the high street pseudo designer tat out there.

I guess the ‘made in England’ tag they can use from simply stitching the sole on over here isn’t too far removed from a watch company using ‘Swiss’ on the dial despite that perhaps amounting to not much more than final inspection. Disappointing, but the way it is.

Craftsman

Got these On today

Great shoes :)

Loake 1880 Ashby

Master

I just bought these Grenson "Oscar" desert boots.
    They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Master

I am thinking of buying a pair of tan brogues to wear with a navy blue suit next month at a wedding. I like the look of the Loake's, do these pair up nicely with jeans as well? I haven't been able to try any on yet so not sure how they look with different trouser wear. I see some brogues are thick soled, some not etc so any help is appreciated as I tend to not wear a suit often but would like to wear the shoes :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM
    I am thinking of buying a pair of tan brogues to wear with a navy blue suit next month at a wedding.
    :shock:

Look here

The salient bit is at the end of point 4:

Just remember to wear a shade of brown that is as dark or darker than your trousers. No tan shoes with navy suits please.
    (seriously though, you should wear whatever you feel comfortable with)

Cheers,

Master

Think a dark tan looks fine with navy blue, agree a light tan could be dodgy

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    If you can get into the West End easily I would recommend a trip into John Rushton in Wimpole St. John is an absolute gent to deal with and his stock consists of a standard range (quite a lot of Alfred Sargent if I remember correctly) at a permanent 20% reduction. John has lots of contacts in Northampton and on the left hand side, as you go in, he has a constantly changing variety of shoes he has picked up himself at factory shop prices. Sizes are a bit of a lottery but I've been lucky; it's where most of my shoes come from. It is worth ringing ahead if you're an odd size.
    http://johnrushtonshoes.com/index.html
    I'll second the John Rushton recommendation... excellent shop and John definitely knows his shoes.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned on the site but Pediwear is a good website for buying shoes (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/)

Craftsman

Got these Oliver Sweeney's to wear with a navy suit

Master

Decided I am going to go for some Loake Chesters - does anyone know if anywhere has a sale? Found some here for £115 but not surprisingly sold out :x http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-i ... lourid=593

Have to go with a number of posters on this thread..............Oliver Sweeney is the way to go! have bought various styles over the years from Sweeney and will not wear anything else. :D

Can any one recommend me a good shoe cleaning kit for my shoes

I've had my loake 758's 3 days and already managed to put a feint scuff on the toe thankfuly no damage to the leather but on that waxlike finish they put on shoes when new is where the scuff is almost invisible unless you know where to look for it and its bugging me as all I look at now is that scuff also my other shoes could do with a tidy up

Thanks

Banned

Shoes again

I've had my loake 758's 3 days and already managed to put a feint scuff on the toe thankfuly no damage to the leather but on that waxlike finish they put on shoes when new is where the scuff is almost invisible unless you know where to look for it and its bugging me as all I look at now is that scuff also my other shoes could do with a tidy up

Thanks
    Saphir cream should sort you out! ;)

Master

Thanks
    Agree with the Saphir recommendation. Buy some Saphir Polish and polishing brush and you're away.
    http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk seem as cheap as anywhere and their customer service is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar

Thanks
    Agree with the Saphir recommendation. Buy some Saphir Polish and polishing brush and you're away.
    http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk seem as cheap as anywhere and their customer service is excellent.
    If you're placing a large enough order then buying from Valmour directly is your cheapest option....
    http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-product ... vices.html
    Free shipping to the UK on orders over 75 euros... (can be done if you pick up a few different colors of Medaille D' Or polish and cream, some Renovator, a few brushes, and then a couple of other accessories like laces, shoe trees, shoe horns, etc. or easily clear the hurdle by picking up a polishing mat/apron or storage box/case). However, if you aren't going to spend enough to qualify for free shipping then going w/ a fine pair of shoes is probably your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo
    Got these Oliver Sweeney's to wear with a navy suit

Cough- homo, oops
    Sorry tought they werre oxblood

I recieved my first pair of real shoes/boots on friday, Loake bedale and i love them, already looking at a second pair

If you're ever in London, a walk down Jermyn St is the best way to decide on which marque/style to go for. So much selection from the best British shoemakers currently going (I settled on Crockett and Jones for my first 'proper' pair of shoes - couldn't be happier)