closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PO & Rolex..

Journeyman

PO & Rolex..

tried one on today for the first time..the full size version..

brought it home and the Blue Seamaster Auto from John Pass in Crewe..was told by my old dear it looks like a "black mans" watch! :shock: :lol:

anyone else think it's to chunky/big? it's quite high as well from the wrist..haven't seen another design that's to similar..I definently know I dont want the Seamaster as the strap's a bit feminine to me :lol:

obviously the standard seamaster's sit like any normal watch I've tried on in the past..

also tried on a Rolex sea dweller as well which is a lovely watch..

I'd only go for one of them and it would be on a 0% interest free payments..

PO is 3,800 IIRC as well..I'm not a fan of the orange numbers so would go for the sliver number details..

can't remember what the Rolex stands at cost wise..

I can't decide between the PO or the Rolex..

also one last thing..is there much difference from this current model PO and the one's on the beaverbrook's website? as by looking at them they don't look that different at all..apart from £1,000!

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... 84e0b9.jpg
    http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... CN0186.jpg
    http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... CN0182.jpg
    http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... CN0181.jpg

Re: PO & Rolex..

You'll be lucky to get 0% IFC on a steel sports Rolex.

Alright Rossy...

Can you guess who it is?

:bounce:

Go for the Rolex - by the time you have paid for it the difference in value between it and the PO will be more than made up in the additional value the Rolex is worth over the Omega.

Otherwise buy a used Omega.
    It's just a matter of time...

Go for the Rolex Ross. Generally people who buy Omega end up selling them, for a substantial loss in order to fund a Rolex a year or two later anyway. With the yearly increases on Rolex if you buy a sport model it's often better than money in the bank. Especially if you buy per owned!

Journeyman

it's a difficult one anyway..took them back earlier anyway as he hasn't got the one I want in at the moment..so will have to have a think I reckon.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372
    Alright Rossy...

Can you guess who it is?

:bounce:
    aup big man!! :bounce: :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    You'll be lucky to get 0% IFC on a steel sports Rolex.
    All day long in Ernest jones, goldsmiths etc.....a sale is a sale either cash or IFC......

Honest question: what would make you consider buying a watch with borrowed money?

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero
    Honest question: what would make you consider buying a watch with borrowed money?
    If you can get IFC on a sports Rolex, it's effectively a discount off an appreciating asset.

Master

agreed save up the money and buy it when it costs more :lol:

If you were in Pass' the Sea Dweller was probably the deep sea so you are looking at £7070. You can pick one of them up on here for £5,400 currently or a new one was at £5,950 the other day.

I own the Seamaster and I think it just looks a bit girlie compared to the size of the PO. I love mine but the bracelet is off and its on a nato at the mo.

That PO is nice, but again its £3800. You may be able to get it for around £3K if you are lucky but he won't give it to you on 0% at that. Again there was a nice PO on here last week at £1500.

Are you really sure you want brand new? I can't see me buying new unless I really have to although I do have my £2K stuck away for the Black Bay which is out next month.

Interest free credit is a nobrainer imo ( if the price is right) , you dont miss the payments as much as a big chunk of wonga and when you have paid you have an asset that dosnt feel like its burnt your pocket through

Quote Originally Posted by rossylad92
    was told by my old dear it looks like a "black mans" watch! :shock: :lol:
    What does that mean ????????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    If you can get IFC on a sports Rolex, it's effectively a discount off an appreciating asset.
    I'll grant that they hold their value quite well, but it's a luxury item and - at least to me - a financed Rolex is a contradiction in terms and wouldn't sit well psychologically. I would have been very uneasy buying my GMT before I could truly afford it and had cash in hand. Given the truly temporal nature of watches, if I'd be caught out by the money blowing into the sea, then I wouldn't spend it on - if we're being entirely honest and can put aside the evocative outdoor adventurer associations - men's jewelry.

Having said that, in most people's cases, the money that evaporates with interest and depreciation on a new car would easily cover the cost of a desirable watch that will be likely worth something in the future. I just happen to think that a financed Rolex is a bit lame... of course, that's just my opinion.

Edit: Of course, if you have the cash available and can still get 0% financing, that's a bonus, though I still wouldn't personally do it on philosophical grounds.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alessi156
    It's a older chav type thing/saying, the type that say's stuff like, niggers lips = bag of chips, sambo, etc.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/fjelstud/prince ... s?s=mobile

Journeyman

0% interest free credit for me is a no brainer..

I can't save that much dosh up..and know I'd spunk it on something else :mrgreen:

10% deposit..and I wont know the monthly payments gone to be honest..

easy for me really.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/product/ome ... h-17330223

dont think I'd go for the latest model as I could get this model a grand less..and I don't see much difference to be honest..apart from the crystal back on the latest version.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    It's a older chav type thing/saying, the type that say's stuff like, niggers lips = bag of chips, sambo, etc.

:D think she meant the likes of P-diddy & 50 Cent wearing them..gangster ish..

Grand Master

I think thats a slightly inappropriate statement to be sharing
    RIAC

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey

I think thats a slightly inappropriate statement to be sharing
    :D :D :D all tongue in cheek

In reply to your original question, I prefer the Sea-Dweller by a substantial margin. I doubt the flashier Omega will retain its allure and value nearly as well, and I find the design rather busy. Also, I consider a sapphire caseback on a watch that's ostensibly intended for diving to be a drawback, not a benefit.

Journeyman

In reply to your original question, I prefer the Sea-Dweller by a substantial margin. I doubt the flashier Omega will retain its allure and value nearly as well, and I find the design rather busy. Also, I consider a sapphire caseback on a watch that's ostensibly intended for diving to be a drawback, not a benefit.
    very true mate..doubt I'll be doing much diving in Crewe..Muff diving maybe..but not sea diving! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Master

How's about this for a reason...

Currently my £7070 is sitting in a bond with Birmingham Midshires.... That bond is paying 4.12% per year... So as a non tax payer, my £7070 earns me £291 per year in interest....

So if I use someone else's money to pay for my watch on 0% over 2 or 3 years... I earn between £582 or £873 in interest.

I won't miss the monthly payments, and my original £7070 is still safe, and I don't have to save it up all over again :)

Interest free money is a no brainer :D

Blog Entries

Have both.......

I have just picked up a T<25 14060 off SC (cheers Chris) and still felt the need for an XL PO which I collect in two weeks. £4k and a little change for the brace.

Very happy indeed and if they pair lose me £500 over the next twelve months, a tenner a week for the privilege is small change.

Buy wisely and enjoy

Ta
    Pitch

OP if you cannot decide between a DSSD and a PO, and don't know the differences between the current 8500 and previous 2500 PO models, I'd suggest hanging onto your money until you've completed some more research, tried your choices on a few more times and considered whether you may want to flip the watch you do choose or intend to keep it for many years. No need to rush into anything.

Good luck to you!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

By the ceramic submariner or the Deep Sea - I would rarely buy an Omega new, unless I could also secure a fair discount.

The Sub is the safer bet - the Deep Sea is going to be around £5500-£5700, as soon as you walk out of the shop. The Sub will be worth around £4500 and the Planet Ocean around £1k less too! In a few years time the PO will be worth a little more, maybe £2k ish - but I would put good money on the Sub being north of £5k and the Deep Sea being north of £6k.

So, all in all, you pay more for your Rolex - but it will be worth a higher percentage and ultimately you end up with a much nicer watch imho.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Go for the Rolex - by the time you have paid for it the difference in value between it and the PO will be more than made up in the additional value the Rolex is worth over the Omega.

Otherwise buy a used Omega.
    +1 Sound advice indeed.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

If you love it then buy the Omega as then the financial aspect does not matter, otherwise buy the Rolex for the reasons already stated by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110
    I have just picked up a T<25 14060 off SC (cheers Chris) and still felt the need for an XL PO which I collect in two weeks. £4k and a little change for the brace.
    You did good there 8)

All sound advice but I would trawl SC for some superbargains. For 7 grand on SC you could get an SMP + Speedy + PO + a mint 14060. Variety and (as you're getting the Omegas at the bottom value) a pretty decent chance of making some money down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by eduk
    If you love it then buy the Omega as then the financial aspect does not matter, otherwise buy the Rolex for the reasons already stated by others.
    +1

0% IFC means you forgo any discount because you've already had it. Better to put down as much cash as you can and negotiate the price which could easily save you £1000

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut
    0% IFC means you forgo any discount because you've already had it. Better to put down as much cash as you can and negotiate the price which could easily save you £1000
    Bingo. It's a business, not a charity. "0% financing" comes at a cost.

Decision made then I see Ross :D............... Good choice mate :thumbup:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110
    You did good there 8)

All sound advice but I would trawl SC for some superbargains. For 7 grand on SC you could get an SMP + Speedy + PO + a mint 14060. Variety and (as you're getting the Omegas at the bottom value) a pretty decent chance of making some money down the line.
    Cheers bud, but I would add the 14060 was NATO mounted and I now feel the need for a bracelet which I was positive when purchasing that I would never need :!:

Still live and learn and should remember that our desires and tastes change daily with this hobby of ours.

Ta
    Pitch

I almost thought it was only me with such oldfashioned views. I would never consider for one second to borrow money for a luxury item. Also, if you don't know whether its an Omega or a Seadweller you are longing for, why not buy a Harley Davidson instead? They come with silver numbers, too.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.