closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: REGISTRATIONS - FAO MODS

Master

REGISTRATIONS - FAO MODS

Hi... A pal of mine would like to register but can't... is the site closed to new members or something??

Rob

Re: REGISTRATIONS - FAO MODS

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy
    Hi... A pal of mine would like to register but can't... is the site closed to new members or something??
    Nay, you only must register during UK working hours, otherwise it does not work. Got me as well.

Hardly the subject for a shouting post in all capitals, is it? The forum is open for registration every day during UK working hours and has been for 9 years, how hard has he been trying?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    <snip>... how hard has he been trying?
    Well as for me I've been trying for months :D - I also never found the notice about the working hours. If the error message were changed to give this information, there would probably be less questions like this...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the purpose of this limitation? After all, people can join only after you have approved them - whether they submit their request during work hours or in the middle of the night is of no relevance, right?

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac
    Well as for me I've been trying for months :D - I also never found the notice about the working hours. If the error message were changed to give this information, there would probably be less questions like this...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the purpose of this limitation? After all, people can join only after you have approved them - whether they submit their request during work hours or in the middle of the night is of no relevance, right?
    Would you like to stay?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Hardly the subject for a shouting post in all capitals, is it? The forum is open for registration every day during UK working hours and has been for 9 years, how hard has he been trying?

Eddie

Sorry, not shouting... just clumsy. Have restricted ability these days so typing not as easy as it was and sometimes caps lock gets left on. Could be my pal is just not 'doing it right' - will get him to have another go.

Rob

If he's like me and a quick reader, there is a time delay between attempting the registration and the"I agree" button actually appearing to click.

Imagine how much of a **** I felt when Eddie originally took the time to email me and explain that one.......

Master

Would you like to stay?

Eddie
    :lol:

I do mind you asking because that's how I chose it to be but here's why: If I leave registration open overnight, the forum is swamped with registrations from those countries where spammers and scammers are endemic. I can have as many as 250 registrations to check through in a morning, 95% of which have a prior history of forum spam (I use http://www.stopforumspam.com to check IPs, usernames and e-mail addresses). This takes more time than I can spare so I restrict registration to UK working hours and the number of bad registrations is dramatically reduced.

I would have thought that would have been obvious to your querying and analytical mind had you taken a few nanoseconds to consider it.

Eddie

I do mind you asking because that's how I chose it to be but here's why: If I leave registration open overnight, the forum is swamped with registrations from those countries where spammers and scammers are endemic. I can have as many as 250 registrations to check through in a morning, 95% of which have a prior history of forum spam (I use http://www.stopforumspam.com to check IPs, usernames and e-mail addresses). This takes more time than I can spare so I restrict registration to UK working hours and the number of bad registrations is dramatically reduced.

I would have thought that would have been obvious to your querying and analytical mind had you taken a few nanoseconds to consider it.

Eddie
    And I don't think it's the first time that we have had this explained.

Master

Would you like to stay?

Eddie
    Harr harr cackle :smilebox:

If I leave registration open overnight, the forum is swamped with registrations from those countries where spammers and scammers are endemic. I can have as many as 250 registrations to check through in a morning, 95% of which have a prior history of forum spam (I use http://www.stopforumspam.com to check IPs, usernames and e-mail addresses). This takes more time than I can spare so I restrict registration to UK working hours and the number of bad registrations is dramatically reduced.
    I never knew that, but now you say it, it makes perect sense! I know these forums are a big deal to manage / moderate and never once thought of that. It's good to know why things are the way they are. Thanks for posting it / sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    If he's like me and a quick reader, there is a time delay between attempting the registration and the"I agree" button actually appearing to click.

Imagine how much of a **** I felt when Eddie originally took the time to email me and explain that one.......
    Yeah, i didnt see that either the first time i tried. It's good to have hoops to jump through though as it surely must stop loads of spammers / scammers trying to get through the net.

. . . I would have thought that would have been obvious to your querying and analytical mind had you taken a few nanoseconds to consider it.

When I see this thread I imagine people in Parkas with mopeds festooned with mirrors. It's good to know they're protecting us.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant reading, although, Eddie, you are in a gentle mood, giving the man nanoseconds
    to read it :D .

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Eddie

Maybe GCHQ can add a spam filter save you sifting through :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    The silence is golden. :lol:
    & unusual :wink:

Best

Den

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    When I see this thread I imagine people in Parkas with mopeds festooned with mirrors. It's good to know they're protecting us.
    Same here.
    I thought it was a V5 question to help register someones Lambretta at DVLA.
    What a let down. :cry: