closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shaving.... agian.... Need some advice please

Master

Shaving.... agian.... Need some advice please

Hi... Mistakenly posted this one in the Boys' Room. The response it got involved some pictures that whilst interesting were not quite what i expected..... :shock: So I'm posting it here hoping for some good feedback from you lot...

I'm approaching 60 now and I've been shaving since I was 14 or so - and I'm heartily fed up with it all. 'Senior Management' has totally vetoed the idea of a beard on the grounds that it would make me look like Father Xmas, or even worse, Wille Nelson. So it's a shaver I must remain. Now over the years I've tried just about everything except a cut-throat which is a total no-no for someone who suffers from occasional bouts of mild spouse-induced depression. I've tried single blade safety razors, disposables, twin and three bladed jobbies and the best of the lot (and by best I mean pain and cut-free) is my current Wilkinson Sword triple blader. Now I'm also heartily fed up with being shafted by the likes of Gillette, Wilkinson Sword etc. vis-a-vis the price of razor blades which are now rapidly appraching three quid a pop, and give me probably half a dozen decent shaves before losing their edge. The answer to the cost issue is, of course, electric shaving.

Now I have tried it - about 20 years ago I bought a very decent Phillips razor that worked fine, except on my neck, which got incredibly sore and swelled up so badly my shirt collars woudn't do up. I tried several different pre-shaves but had to give it up as a bad job. Since then Senior Management has found a use for the electric razor keeping her legs nice and smooth so it's not a total loss.. Recently I was told about a new (well new to me, anyway) type of electric razor that you can use with shaving gel, even in the shower, to avoid just this problem.

So... do any of you guys use one of these? Can you honestly recommend them as a possible answer to my problem? And if so which make/model? I've done a little research and it seems that you can pay 40 to 50 quid or hundreds and hundreds for one. I appreciate that to a great deal you get what you pay for, but what's the Seiko 5 of these things? Which one give the best 'bang for the buck'?

Pleased to hear.
    Rob

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Re: Shaving.... agian.... Need some advice please

Yes, the Philips Coolshave system works for me.

Just buy the cheapest model - they all work in the same way, although the higher-priced ones have more 3-D movement in the shaving heads plus all kinds of bells and whistles.

You don't even have to buy the pukka Nivea Coolshave lotion (a rip-off in my view). I get aftershave balm and rub it in with a bit of hot water before shaving and it works fine. In fact even just hot water works, though not as well.

Braun now produces a similar electric wet-shave razor. It's very sturdily engineered but I find the Philips rotary shaving heads work better - but which is best probably varies individually.

Good luck if you try it.

No not used electric for a few years.. I still recommend a simple safety razor and a visit to Badgerandblade forum for tips...

My advice - go with the grain of your beard if you are getting very sore when shaving, light pressure and let the razor do the work. As you get to know how your hair grows you can increase the number of passes with hopefully as little irritation as possible.

But good luck with whatever you try :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    No not used electric for a few years.. I still recommend a simple safety razor and a visit to Badgerandblade forum for tips...

My advice - go with the grain of your beard if you are getting very sore when shaving, light pressure and let the razor do the work. As you get to know how your hair grows you can increase the number of passes with hopefully as little irritation as possible.

I'm closing in on 60 years of age.... reckon I've tried all that.... my beard seems to grow in all directions so shaving's not an easy thing for me. And I very much dislike the sight of my own blood so safety razors are a no-no - been there, done that, bought they styptic pencil.

Rob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Newbear

Just buy the cheapest model - they all work in the same way, although the higher-priced ones have more 3-D movement in the shaving heads plus all kinds of bells and whistles.

You don't even have to buy the pukka Nivea Coolshave lotion (a rip-off in my view). I get aftershave balm and rub it in with a bit of hot water before shaving and it works fine. In fact even just hot water works, though not as well.

Braun now produces a similar electric wet-shave razor. It's very sturdily engineered but I find the Philips rotary shaving heads work better - but which is best probably varies individually.

Good luck if you try it.
    Does it have to the balm stuuff? Can you use these things with ordinary shaving gel (not foam, gel...)?

Rob

Master

I too had enough of paying stupid prices for razor blades, and the more blades in each head the higher the price and the quicker it clogged up in my opinion.
    Then I stumbled across this: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Twin-B...d-Razor_42126/ with replacement blades at £1.45 for 10!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bloater
    I too had enough of paying stupid prices for razor blades, and the more blades in each head the higher the price and the quicker it clogged up in my opinion.
    Then I stumbled across this: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Twin-B...d-Razor_42126/ with replacement blades at £1.45 for 10!
    Nice find, I'm going to try these. Has anyone tried Aldi razors? My brother in law swears by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy

I'm closing in on 60 years of age.... reckon I've tried all that.... my beard seems to grow in all directions so shaving's not an easy thing for me. And I very much dislike the sight of my own blood so safety razors are a no-no - been there, done that, bought they styptic pencil.
    I have the feeling you might have been doing it wrong. If you use them like you are used to with the one-way and multi-blade systems you will cut yourself. You need almost no pressure, just enough to get them close enough, when they "bite" they will suck themselves onto the face. Press them on the face, bleed. They are much sharper than the newfangled stuff. Now I understand that you consider having given those a fair chance, but perhaps with more informations about proper technique, you might want to give it another go? I think it pays, a proper blade beats an electric shaver any time.

(I myself use a cut-throat straight razor by the way, for non-bearded parts of my face and my scalp - it's brilliant)

Banned
    Blog Entries

+1 I tried a DE for the first time last summer and haven't looked back since. Finding the perfect combination of blade and razor does take some time though.
    It cannot be over-emphasised that you really don't need to press the razor into your skin !!

Master

Does it have to the balm stuff? Can you use these things with ordinary shaving gel (not foam, gel...)?
    I've always wet-shaved, but quite like the idea of an electric razor for the gadget appeal. But any time I've tried them, I've never got on with them - they aren't satisfying to use and have left my skin a bit sor and bumpy.

But I did see a Philips electric in a branch of Boots at the weekend that explicitly claimed to be compatible with shave gel, and was quite intrigued. Not sure if it was this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-RQ1180- ... B003M2WWK4

I'm 61 and tried the DE shave a while ago with Merkur (34C and Futur), but I have reverted to Mach III - however I have retained the brush and shaving bowl and I find that far superior to any gels or creams.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Good luck if you try it.
    Does it have to the balm stuuff? Can you use these things with ordinary shaving gel (not foam, gel...)?

Rob
    I've used all kinds of shaving balms and moisturisers - whatever is on offer at the time I'm buying (currently a Tesco-own product). They all work well.

I wouldn't use shaving foam or gel personally. Although you might get away with it, I think something without soap but with oil (like the emuslions that are shaving balm) is better for the razor.

But I can honestly recommend the system. It works for me at least, whereas both wet-shaves and dry electric create a rash. Of course we are all different...but we are worth it.

At Christmas, I bought a Braun Series 3 360 wet/dry shaver and haven't looked back. With some shaving gel, it is very nearly as good as a wet shave. My skin is no longer irritated by a dry shaver going over and over the same area to try and get a decent cut. Highly recommended.

I used to do all the multi bladed stuff, tried the DE thing, now just using a single bladed white BIC, which I find as good or better than the above. I'm using the soap and brush that I bought for the DE, and enjoy that.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj
    I used to do all the multi bladed stuff, tried the DE thing, now just using a single bladed white BIC, which I find as good or better than the above. I'm using the soap and brush that I bought for the DE, and enjoy that.
    It probably can not be stressed enough how important proper preparation is - making your own lather (properly, with enough water) and taking a couple of minutes to apply it with a brush is probably the greatest improvement compared with the modern stuff. The canned foams and gels are way too dry to hydrate the hair in any useful way, and the way most people use it (smear on the face, shave immediately) does not help either.

well I'm only 38 and have also tried all the options. Never got on with Electric, 3 blades gave me ingrowing hairs once a week without fail (and cost a fortune) and I've finally settled on DE shaving. I occasionally nick myself but more through carelessness or tiredness rather than them being significantly worse than cartridges. Give it time, let the weight of the razor do the work and shave in the direction of growth on the first pass and you're guaranteed a good shave.

Current set-up:
    Future (?) DE razor
    Wilkinson Sword blades (3 euro for 10)
    Men-U shave cream (2 squirts and it lathers up beautifully with plenty of lubrication (and having seen the Boys Room thread pictures I'd say that's quite important :D )

The only shaving advice I can offer is don't. Keep calm and grow a beard. The nay sayers will get used to it. It's your face and your right to grow a beard if you chose.
    Gray

I've got a Philips Sensotouch. Came with a travel pouch and stand and is completely waterproof, so you can wetshave with it. I was skeptical at first, as I thought I'd never bother wetshaving with it, but was quickly convinced once I'd tried. I now electric shave with gel whenever possible!

The philips website has some useful comparisons and tips for wetshaving with their kit
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...scy=GB&slg=ENG

I've got a Philips Sensotouch. Came with a travel pouch and stand and is completely waterproof, so you can wetshave with it. I was skeptical at first, as I thought I'd never bother wetshaving with it, but was quickly convinced once I'd tried. I now electric shave with gel whenever possible!

The philips website has some useful comparisons and tips for wetshaving with their kit

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -L-

Never used this system myself - but I did see one on half-price sale in Superdrug today.

Journeyman

Used to use the electric razors in the distant past and then went to the wet shave for many years until recently. Multiple blades, costing a fortune and shaving gel, with all types of formulations.

Went down the DE road a few months ago and love it. The best shave yet. And now I actually enjoy shaving. Current setup is:
    Merkur 20c
    Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap with Aloe and Green Tree
    Semogue Badger Shaving Brush
    Timor Solingen Double Edge Blades

And another thing is, it cost so little once you have the razor.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cul a Cnoic
    And another thing is, it cost so little once you have the razor.
    That's what you think lol. You get drawn into the just a better brush, just another razor, more blades, more creams. Until all of a sudden you need more bathroom cabinet space than your wife! That's without the lost souls who then progress onto cut throats.....

Either the DE option or when in a rush this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Shaver-Tri ... B000HDZAVY

no shiit, tried all electric shavers and disposables and always had either red skin or ingrown hairs after, the only option was to grow a beard and trim it or use a shaver specifically designed for black skinned people. It doesn't shave as close as a wet shave but neither is it a stubble trimmer, it gives a true 5 o clock shadow shave which works fine for me! No more ingrowing hairs or burning neck! It's a great little gadget!

Good luck if you try it.
    I use a Coolshave when I'm travelling and occasionally at home. I've found it to be the best of the electric shavers. I also use a King of Shaves "thing" in a very small green bottle of which you only need a couple of drops and it works really well but I can't remember what it's called...

A