closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Illogical dislike

Illogical dislike

There are two watch brands which I have no love for, but I can't put forwards any logical reason.

They are Breitling and Tag Huer.

Now Huer I do like, but put Tag in there and you would have to pay me.

Now Breitling, I've owned 2, an Aerospace and a Navitimer, both of which I had coveted for a long time.

When I got them though I just couldn't love them.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Re: Illogical dislike

Mine would be Rado, never worn one, never will.
    and Breitling.

ish

Banned

You want to love a watch :?

I'd worry about something else to be honest.

Milk gives me heartburn.

Blog Entries

I find it difficult to generalise brands.

Breitling make the wonderful Superocean Heritage 46, and Tag Heuer make the beautiful Siffert re-issue. Both by the brands which, in general, I am not a total fan of, but I still drool over those two pieces.

The same with Omega. I have loved so many of their pieces over the years, and my 2 favourite owned watches are by them.. but the modern range.. I would not touch.

I think Seiko make some hideous designs, but have my beady eye on a lovely pvd Sports 5 at the moment.

I get what you're saying.. but a lot of the time, I always end up finding one (with most brands) which I would bag in a lottery second.

Quote Originally Posted by luddite
    There are two watch brands which I have no love for, but I can't put forwards any logical reason.

Now Breitling, I've owned 2, an Aerospace and a Navitimer, both of which I had coveted for a long time.

I used to feel the same way - but since then I have tried a few Breitlings and as a used purchase they are a good watch. I've also bought a few Tags and whilst I don't have one to wear I'd have another Monaco - the rest of the range leave me cold though.

There are lots of brands that do nothing for me that are decent well built watches - but at the price of luxury watch these days I have to have more than a simple like of the design.
    It's just a matter of time...

Heur is the noise I make when I throw up.

I am merely not interested in Tag Heuer. Some of their designs are ok but they're very expensive. Breitlings however are ugly and tacky. Very few modern designs interest me, the only ones I actually dislike are Breitling and Panerai.
    "A man of little significance"

Have to agree on Breitling, a lot of brands I'm just indifferent to but when I catch a Breitling on someone's wrist it seems to stand out to me in a bad way.

Yep...

Seiko

AP

Not a fan of Tag, but I blame this forum for that 8)

Journeyman

I like Tag Heuer. Off course it does not have the charme that the old Heuer had, but it at least makes watches that have their "own" appearance,unlike a lot of other brands today. Marketing wise they are pushing the celebrity envelope too much, but that seems to be best practice today.

I especially like their Carrera Jack Heuer edition...

Illogical dislike is Hublot.

breitlings seem to be hideously over styled when i look at the modern range in the store window, the same stores usually carry tag and some of these are quite nice, but only the ones that seem similar to other people's watches.....

it must be hard to make a good looking new design.....

i thought about designing my own watch (not for real) ie what watch would i love to look at and i found it very hard to be original... but then its not my job to design, its my job to wowed by the product and very few watches around today seem to do that, the ones that do are general quite old designs :-)

I like most brands but usually not all watches in their range. Hublot I'm not keen on, mainly as not a fan of fussy watches. Unusual but not for the sake of it. But then I'm a Seiko fan but there's not much in their current range I like bar the Marinemaster. Just depends what floats your boat I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 20veetee
    I like Tag Heuer. Off course it does not have the charme that the old Heuer had, but it at least makes watches that have their "own" appearance,unlike a lot of other brands today. Marketing wise they are pushing the celebrity envelope too much, but that seems to be best practice today.

It's interesting that it's badged a Heuer and not a Tag Heuer. I realised that it's simply because fewer people would buy it if it had Tag on the dial.
    "A man of little significance"

Master

I simply do boot like Breitlings, Rado, Tag and I really do not understand the designs of AP watches.

Grand Master

It's Omega for me. Objectively (despite a couple of iffy recent movements) their watches are technically good, but they're big, increasingly tacky and give Breitling a run for its money in the shiney-shiney stakes. Subjectively, I look, and think "smug". And their corporate behaviour is poor, although admittedly that's an uncommon reason to shun a brand altogether!

Shame, I like the black Bond Seamaster on a Speedmaster style strap, but I'll never buy one - I can't handle the image.

AP (bleurgh) and Vacheron Constantin (groo) get the WIS nod but to me they're gross. Still, no-one's forcing me to buy 'em, so...

Rado - big in the East. The UK market is clearly not a goldmine for them. But in the West people do love their TAGs, and I'd be very happy to wear a modern Jack (TAG) Heuer anniversary.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Quote Originally Posted by 20veetee

It's interesting that it's badged a Heuer and not a Tag Heuer. I realised that it's simply because fewer people would buy it if it had Tag on the dial.
    No, that's a Level 2-4 WISinternet thing (representing about 0.0001% of TAG-H's market judging by the slagging it continues to get). It's because their throwback specials tend to be badged just Heuer.

To like something because it says just "Heuer", but then suddently and instantly shun it because they ran the dial through the print machine once more and dropped a microgram of ink on it in the shape of the word "TAG" has to be, truly, one of the most abject reasons to dislike something. It does, at least, confirm to the viewer that that person's tastes are 100% driven by brand prejudice and preference, and 0% by technical or horological interest. Which is nothing to do with WISdom at all, really! Can anyone suggest why the omission of a microgram of ink instantly transforms the appeal of a given watch, for any reason other than branding, belonging and validation?

AP for me

Have to agree with you there, Tags & Breitlings just don't float my boat.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master

I don't think there's anything illogical about having an aversion to Breitling and Tag Huer. I think Breitling's are almost uniformly ugly and Tag Huer really ruined their brand in my eyes with watches like the F1.

it's one of the most logical things to dislike Breitling and Tag Heuer...
    Those Breitlings are so bombastic i'm surprised they don't throw in a fanfare orchestra when you buy one :?

Illogical dislike

Rado, Tag (though Heuer without the tag bit are mostly great), Cartier, the whole Panerai 1950 series (and don't get me started on people who call them "fiddy"!), B&R, Graham... All of those I dislike for no obvious reason.

There are a few brands who make nothing / almost nothing I like, but I don't think I've an "illogocal" dislike of them. It's either aesthetics, faux heritage, stupid pricing or poor quality etc.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

It's probably only IWC who have virtually no model I'd consider. The brand does nothing for me.

Even brands like Tag or Breitling, I've managed to bag at least one model that I've liked even though almost everything else they do doesn't appeal to me.

Master

I see Breitling is the most hated watch around this forum. I find Rolex to be an ugly watch... Breitling too but for me every Rolex looks the same.... Ugly that is

Grand Master

Now't wrong with this Tag..........

Master

Don't like Breitling but own 4. Illogical and mad :)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

To like something because it says just "Heuer", but then suddently and instantly shun it because they ran the dial through the print machine once more and dropped a microgram of ink on it in the shape of the word "TAG" has to be, truly, one of the most abject reasons to dislike something. It does, at least, confirm to the viewer that that person's tastes are 100% driven by brand prejudice and preference, and 0% by technical or horological interest. Which is nothing to do with WISdom at all, really! Can anyone suggest why the omission of a microgram of ink instantly transforms the appeal of a given watch, for any reason other than branding, belonging and validation?
    Nope, 'cos its illogical. :mrgreen:

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

Frank Muller. God awful.

Illogical dislike

Based purely on aesthetics (which I think is the point, or at least the direction, of this thread) I dislike a few brands in general. IWC and Breitling to name two. But even they have some models I'm attracted to. It's like women I guess. I don't prefer blondes in general, but then...

Master

So this thread is about dislikes based on style, not so illogical, because no one has really commented on poor CS, technical demerits or otherwise.

I will say and would put money on it, if Tag Heuer removed the TAG, I would bet sales would increase at least from the naysayers in this thread. I would add my name to that list as well. You know what they say about it all being in the name :wink: .

I thought "huer" was how you described of a woman of ill repute in Mississippi. FWIW, I've always liked Heuers. Huers, too. :D

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin
    I thought "huer" was how you described of a woman of ill repute in Mississippi. FWIW, I've always liked Heuers. Huers, too. :D
    :lol:

Does an in-house heuer movement come from the huer house?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    So this thread is about dislikes based on style, not so illogical, because no one has really commented on poor CS, technical demerits or otherwise.

I will say and would put money on it, if Tag Heuer removed the TAG, I would bet sales would increase at least from the naysayers in this thread. I would add my name to that list as well. You know what they say about it all being in the name :wink: .
    Oh I absolulely agree. And you are at least being honest ;). For me, I would buy an Omega Seamaster 300 Ceramic if it was badged Victorinox, or perhaps Certina. Not because that way I could avoid the brand image (I'm not a management consultant in my late '20s), but because it would be the same watch for half the price...

Personally I think TAG needs applauding for snatching Heuer from the jaws of death, but around here you'd think they were responsible for the Holocaust, not Heuer (hey, we're on page 3, it's time for Godwin :lol:).

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    :lol:

Does an in-house heuer movement come from the huer house?
    That is actually very good.

A few people from Calibre 11 went to the factory in Cornol to see movements being manufactured. You could say they went a-Huering.

I always thought I wanted a Bell & Ross, but after handing some of the larger range ones I put myself right off.

I can't get breitling. Just seem tacky to me. The whole tag thing I can see and wouldn't buy another one even though the tag I do own has had the hardest life of any of my watches and performed perfectly threw out.

Nope, 'cos its illogical. :mrgreen:
    I don't think it's that illogical though. Branding is a big deal to some people and being associated in any small way with some brands puts people off. To me, Tag Heuer is a predictable fashion brand and the obvious choice for some who walk into Goldsmiths wanting an expensive brand name. But I fee the same about Omega and I love my PO, just as I really like some of Tag's watches, the 1887 in particular.

When you're spending thousands of pounds, the name and branding is a consideration. That doesn't mean it's not possible to respect the watch as a WIS, you can respect and dislike something at the same time.

On the watch front I find it very hard to like Tags for all the same reasons as above.

On a similar vein for some reason I can't stand Katherine Jenkins - all the ingredients are there (Blonde, not a stick figure, sings, pretty enough) but I just don't like the girl. I don't think she's distraught about it though.

I dislike most watch types, not any brand in general. This makes the ones I do like more adorable :D

Know what you mean about Tags - I did own one but PXd it - I think they devalue their brand - can't think of any other brand that has stores in outlet malls.

I like Breitling though!

Well, I certainly won't miss spell Heuer again.

Illogical dislike

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY
    Now't wrong with this Tag..........

To start with, it's got Tag written on the dial. ;)

Patek - never seen one I have liked.

Rolex - I know many have the love, but just too plain and predictable, just like an M&S shirt.
    Nothing actually wrong with it, but just middle of the road and unexciting. the choice of Mr 2.4
    kids when he gets his first bonus. But probably the best choice for retaining value if that is a
    concern.

Rado also for me and those BRM watches that look like a car crash.

Illogical dislike

Quote Originally Posted by Mokarran

Rolex - I know many have the love, but just too plain and predictable, just like an M&S shirt.
    Nothing actually wrong with it, but just middle of the road and unexciting. the choice of Mr 2.4
    kids when he gets his first bonus. Bur probably the best choice for retaining value if that is a
    concern.
    That's my illogical dislike too. I know Rolex make some good watches with good movements, but I just can't like them. Mostly because they are Mr Man-in-the-street's idea of the 'best' watch.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jk103

Personally I think TAG needs applauding for snatching Heuer from the jaws of death, but around here you'd think they were responsible for the Holocaust, not Heuer (hey, we're on page 3, it's time for Godwin :lol:).
    Agree 100% Andrew - Tag seems to be very poorly regarded on this forum (plus a few others) and I'm not sure I completely understand why tbh......
    They make/made some decent looking watches IMO.
    Oh well...... Can't all like the same stuff but I'm guessing there may be a little of 'follow the crowd' with regards to the dislike of Tag Heuer?