raf - gshock

not sure if this has been posted before

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/03/g-shoc ... y-enemies/

Re: raf - gshock

I love that :D

Quick google brought up no places to purchase though :twisted:

Master

A mate of mine is at the same base as the RAF guy who was the point man for Casio on this watch (although on a different squadron). I'll ask him to find out a bit more...

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Looks pretty sweet that...

The £500 price tag may put some off though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY

that is a bit high.

I'm guessing this is a product that has come out of the RAF marketing department as opposed to a replacement contract for the issue watch....a bit like 'The RAF Collection" or those trainers that came out a few years ago.

Nice that they have created a 'design partnership' concept with a pilot, this kind of marketing works well (look at Bremont and MB). If that is the final product though, it looks worse than other G-Shock models. The hands are awful.

Looks pretty nice, agree with the price tag being a tad high...

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink
    Quick google brought up no places to purchase though :twisted:
    The 'standard' GW-A1000-1ADF isn't due to be released until April/May. (It was only just launched at BaselWorld).

I'm guessing the RAF version might be around the same time.

Edited to add: just read the article. The last line says:

"The GW-A1000RAF-1AER is in a limited edition of 2000, set for a June release. Retail price is around £500."

Banned
    Blog Entries

That is a lot of extra money for a 8) model number.

Makes a change from ´stunning´; a shocking chrongraph :wink:

Master

I like that a lot, but not enough to part with 500 notes for one.

Maybe it's the poor photo, but I can't see the appeal when compared to other tie-ins:

Compare it to another brand tie-in Casio, the Red Bull F1 watches:

£500 ltd edition:

or

£350:

The article writer's name is muslim... :glasses5: :glasses5:

anon
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

anon

if that "goes" for humour its in poor taste......

Very nice GShock, I suspect that design will end up in a cheaper model eventually.

anon
    I don't get this comment. How is it relevant to the G shock?

Sunnie (not a Muslim name although some people confuse it)

I wonder if Eddie can make a £500 watch which is 'resistant to centrifugal gravity' :albino:

Quote Originally Posted by docd
    I wonder if Eddie can make a £500 watch which is 'resistant to centrifugal gravity' :albino:
    Yep, also interesting that they discarded features like 'locator beacons' because it had 'been done before' whereas the function 'to measure the temperature in the flight cabin' was deemed a useful feature. Not sure why an RAF pilot needs to know the temperature of the air trapped between his wrist and flying suit/glove? Surely cabin conditioning zone temperature, TAT and SAT are the important values?!

Well the poor RAF have been decimated by the bastards running the country so any new means of funding/financial assistance are much sought after.On a sidenote My Cousing is a training Capt with Emirates he recieved an invite to offer his services to his mother country(Iran)and retrain on the. . . . .F-14A tomcat he ofcourse told them where to stick their offer but what worried him was how they managed to track him and secondly why the invite?Me thinks impending possible scenarios.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver
    On a sidenote My Cousing is a training Capt with Emirates he recieved an invite to offer his services to his mother country(Iran)and retrain on the. . . . .F-14A tomcat he ofcourse told them where to stick their offer but what worried him was how they managed to track him and secondly why the invite?Me thinks impending possible scenarios.
    Very intriguing. I'm not surprised they could track him down: That's what intelligence agencies are for, not that I would have thought that finding a specific individual would be all that difficult even with mostly open sources and conventional networking -- it's how civilian job recruiters work, afterall.

Were they really specific about training for the F-14? That's surprising to me... I would have thought that all their remaining Tomcats would be in the hands of extremely experienced pilots and that they'd have a competent internal cross-training programme for experienced pilots on other types. Perhaps they were using the lure of a more exciting aircraft to get him back, only to plonk him on a C-130 or a 707.

Personally I reckon the Iranian F-14s are on US's list for early and thorough destruction and I suspect the AWG-9 is going to be something of a missile magnet every time it's switched on.

Blog Entries

This looks like a really nice watch. I don't think £500 is excessive for a limited edition such as this one. It will surely sell out. Indeed, if I have the money when it's available, I'd happily buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY

that is a bit high.
    its just in line with the top of the aviator range
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    On a sidenote My Cousing is a training Capt with Emirates he recieved an invite to offer his services to his mother country(Iran)and retrain on the. . . . .F-14A tomcat he ofcourse told them where to stick their offer but what worried him was how they managed to track him and secondly why the invite?Me thinks impending possible scenarios.
    Very intriguing. I'm not surprised they could track him down: That's what intelligence agencies are for, not that I would have thought that finding a specific individual would be all that difficult even with mostly open sources and conventional networking -- it's how civilian job recruiters work, afterall.

Were they really specific about training for the F-14? That's surprising to me... I would have thought that all their remaining Tomcats would be in the hands of extremely experienced pilots and that they'd have a competent internal cross-training programme for experienced pilots on other types. Perhaps they were using the lure of a more exciting aircraft to get him back, only to plonk him on a C-130 or a 707.

Personally I reckon the Iranian F-14s are on US's list for early and thorough destruction and I suspect the AWG-9 is going to be something of a missile magnet every time it's switched on.
    The IRIAF still trains Pilots on the F-14A and each year new Pilots(Around 8 each year) are presented with their unit emblems at Mehrabad My cousin flew 24 sorties on the F-14A he shot down 1 Iraqi Mig-23 and a Mil-8 helicopter during the Iran/Iraq war he also barely survived being executed by his own side that's gratitude for You.The Senior Guys including My cousin and his WSO both managed to leave with their lives intact but around 35 very Senior Pilots were executed for crimes against the Islamic state.Out of the original batch of 70+ aircraft around 50 are left in full flying state the Iranians used some as Airborne early warning platforms due to the powerful AWG-9.

Blog Entries

The IRIAF still trains Pilots on the F-14A and each year new Pilots(Around 8 each year) are presented with their unit emblems at Mehrabad
    For the avoidance of doubt, that's what I would have expected. I was simply surprised that, given a (presumably very competent) ongoing training programme, they would want to or need to pursue an outsider to augment the ranks of their own trainees on their most famous fighter. However, you go on to say...
    My cousin flew 24 sorties on the F-14A he shot down 1 Iraqi Mig-23 and a Mil-8 helicopter during the Iran/Iraq war
    ...which changes things. Clearly he's not an outsider at all. In that case I can certainly see why they'd want him back!

he also barely survived being executed by his own side that's gratitude for You.The Senior Guys including My cousin and his WSO both managed to leave with their lives intact but around 35 very Senior Pilots were executed for crimes against the Islamic state.
    Good grief. They've got some chutzpah in inviting him back after all that. Did they seriously expect him to come back after that? I guess they must be desperate.

Out of the original batch of 70+ aircraft around 50 are left in full flying state the Iranians used some as Airborne early warning platforms due to the powerful AWG-9.
    And I would definitely not fancy being in that aircraft with F-22s hunting especially for me. I'm sure the AWG-9 makes a fantastic AEW system but it's also a huge shoot-me sign. :-(

Your cousin is well out of it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bully
    not sure if this has been posted before

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/03/g-shoc ... y-enemies/

No not seen it before, wish I hadn't now, thanks! :evil: :lol:

The IRIAF still trains Pilots on the F-14A and each year new Pilots(Around 8 each year) are presented with their unit emblems at Mehrabad
    For the avoidance of doubt, that's what I would have expected. I was simply surprised that, given a (presumably very competent) ongoing training programme, they would want to or need to pursue an outsider to augment the ranks of their own trainees on their most famous fighter. However, you go on to say...
    My cousin flew 24 sorties on the F-14A he shot down 1 Iraqi Mig-23 and a Mil-8 helicopter during the Iran/Iraq war
    ...which changes things. Clearly he's not an outsider at all. In that case I can certainly see why they'd want him back!

he also barely survived being executed by his own side that's gratitude for You.The Senior Guys including My cousin and his WSO both managed to leave with their lives intact but around 35 very Senior Pilots were executed for crimes against the Islamic state.
    Good grief. They've got some chutzpah in inviting him back after all that. Did they seriously expect him to come back after that? I guess they must be desperate.

Out of the original batch of 70+ aircraft around 50 are left in full flying state the Iranians used some as Airborne early warning platforms due to the powerful AWG-9.
    And I would definitely not fancy being in that aircraft with F-22s hunting especially for me. I'm sure the AWG-9 makes a fantastic AEW system but it's also a huge shoot-me sign. :-(

Your cousin is well out of it.
    He is quite adamant that he did his bit as his training was terminated at NAS Miramar in 1979 the first time he fired a sidewinder 9B was during actual conflict but You are right those old F-14s would not stand a chance against the current crop of fighters seeing that the Tocat was retired by the USN a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Top
    Very nice GShock, I suspect that design will end up in a cheaper model eventually.
    There is a 'standard' version of the same watch being released in April/May: the GW-A1000-1ADF.

And it's going to be a bit cheaper - £425ish, apparently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73
    And it's going to be a bit cheaper - £425ish, apparently.
    Which results in a surprisingly small premium for the special edition.

Journeyman

I don't think they have many servicable F14's left after the US stopped supplying parts many years ago and sent all theirs to the crusher to prevent spares getting out, it would be lambs to the slaughter anyway!

anon
    Turkish actually.

Well the poor RAF have been decimated by the bastards running the country
    I can't remember a time I've not seen a jet while on a dog walk but I do live in the middle of the back of beyond a few miles from RAF Boulmer and I suspect they have one jet covering the whole country! I like the watch but way too pricey for my liking. I do agree with the decimation comment though and the bastards "running" the country. Sadly, the great really has gone :(

Master

I really like this watch but there's something you've missed... The dimensions:

54.1 × 51.7× 16.4 mm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It sounds massive so I'd have to try one on first :roll:

Master

I cannot see the RAF paying £500 per watch. But saying that Arrow Pilots were issued with Breitlings.

It's not a bad looking watch, as G-Shocks go, but, from a military watch perspective, I'd still prefer a Marine National-issued version. They typically come in at quite a bit cheaper too.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    It's not a bad looking watch, as G-Shocks go, but, from a military watch perspective, I'd still prefer a Marine National-issued version. They typically come in at quite a bit cheaper too.
    +1

I'd much prefer one of the RAF Seikos. Even though RAF reined Casio in a bit, they still managed to put a load of unnecessary growths on it. The Seikos were much better looking watches, and I can't imagine that the G-Shockness of the Casio really makes that much of a difference. A quartz is a tough beast to begin with.

I like it too but not enough to part with 500 smackers with discount might see it for around 375-400 mark there's also the GW4000 currently out in Japan i may get one if i end up on flying duties to Narita.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG
    I cannot see the RAF paying £500 per watch. But saying that Arrow Pilots were issued with Breitlings.
    They were not issued with them. Breitling watches are not (and have not been) issued items.

Breitling gave them to the national aerobatic teams of several countries as part of their marketing strategy to get more recognition in the aviation community (it's why they sponsor chalets at the bigger airshows). They did (for a while) let the RAF commission LEs with Squadron/Aircraft markings at a substantial discount but when a mate enquired a while ago, they would not budge on the list price. These days Christopher Ward are doing quite a bit of business in small bespoke runs for units of the RAF and RN, and Bremont have made custom watches for 29 Sqn (Eurofighter Typhoon), 99 Sqn (C-17 Globemaster) and 3 Regt AAC (AH64-D Apache Longbow) as well as their models for a few US units such as U2 and the US Navy Test Pilot School at Patuxent River.

Master

We live and learn, thanks for the info.

I like it too but not enough to part with 500 smackers with discount might see it for around 375-400 mark there's also the GW4000 currently out in Japan i may get one if i end up on flying duties to Narita.
    Even these are quite chunky. I think the aviation range looks have gone downhill since the gw2000 series. Timer was better on the 2000 over the 3000 too. Not sure about the ana-digi ones.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by judeep
    Well the poor RAF have been decimated by the bastards running the country
    I can't remember a time I've not seen a jet while on a dog walk but I do live in the middle of the back of beyond a few miles from RAF Boulmer and I suspect they have one jet covering the whole country! I like the watch but way too pricey for my liking. I do agree with the decimation comment though and the bastards "running" the country. Sadly, the great really has gone :(
    Well - that's not the fault of the ba^X^Xpeople running the country. They have to make the best of what they have in terms of resources.

Master

:evil: FFS, I want the RAF version but with the hands off the normal model now I've seen it.

Grand Master

That will come in handy at Salsa class!
    RIAC

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    That will come in handy at Salsa class!
    I didn't know you were taking lessons.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    I'm guessing this is a product that has come out of the RAF marketing department as opposed to a replacement contract for the issue watch....a bit like 'The RAF Collection" or those trainers that came out a few years ago.
    The RAF have a merchandising agent (http://www.imgworld.com/news/news/2009/ ... force-(raf)-announce-img-as-new-licensin.aspx) So that's where this one came from.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    They did (for a while) let the RAF commission LEs with Squadron/Aircraft markings at a substantial discount but when a mate enquired a while ago, they would not budge on the list price.
    Both Andrew Michaels and Lime Blue (John McIntyre & Sons) and perhaps others I'm not aware of (but certainly those two) can interrupt a Breitling run subject to a minimum of 40 pieces for customisation, including adding cap badges etc, etc, noting that they are all registered as trade marks by MOD so the jeweller and Breitling need licences to add them on (and they know the people at MOD who can let them do this- which helps as it means they get the right graphics).

I don't think they get a discount on the retail (save perhaps VAT if going to a BFPO), but I don't think there is a premium to pay above it (which given it is an officially produced, and therefore warrantied watch, is a nice touch if you're coming back from tour).

Like this one:

Seems a bit pricey compared to the other models, but then again.... :?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DS3R

The RAF have a merchandising agent (http://www.imgworld.com/news/news/2009/ ... force-(raf)-announce-img-as-new-licensin.aspx) So that's where this one came from.
    So this RAF G-shock is like a Comex sub :?: :idea:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

So this RAF G-shock is like a Comex sub :?: :idea:
    That may be stretching the analogy a bit far.

I don't think they'll have a problem shifting 2000 of the watches (even at 500 notes- it's a limited run worldwide and there are enough collectors to pick that lot up before Joe Public gets to see them- I doubt there will be a huge number in high street stores in the UK), but I suspect if there's ever a time they are selling for £40k a pop, it's because inflation has led to graduate starting salaries being in the millions, not because of uber-rarity and desirability.

Master

I don't think they get a discount on the retail (save perhaps VAT if going to a BFPO), but I don't think there is a premium to pay above it (which given it is an officially produced, and therefore warrantied watch, is a nice touch if you're coming back from tour).
    I think that's the case on pricing and numbers now but when the LE Aerospaces were done for a few squadrons in the early 90s they were about half list price. Breitling also made runs of less than 40 back then as we had a run of 30 done for No. 30 Sqn. The price had gone up by 2001 when I bought a C-130 LE watch, the discount was more like the VAT only figure you mention, I think that in the early days of unit LEs they were a bit more flexible.

Breitling also got the colour scheme wrong on a badge for the Jaguar fleet and one of my mates picked up one up at a heavily discounted price.

Journeyman

I'm sorry to resurrect this oldish thread, but I'm wondering whether anybody has seen any announcements about this RAF-linked G-Shock, which was slated for launch around now. Jura Watches have started listing it on their website but marked as out of stock. I guess stock may be coming; my question is whether it'll come in time for my birthday. ;)

Rumours, news, gossip or hard facts would all be welcome!