closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: You don't have to spend a lot...

You don't have to spend a lot...

... to get a high quality, interesting, in-house mechanical watch. Just go vintage.

This is a Seiko 6220-9970 Skyliner. Skyliner was a mid-range Seiko sub-brand back in the 60s, a step up from the basic Seikos but below King Seiko and Grand Seiko. It could be considered positioned at a similar level to the current Mechanical range. The Skyliner typeface shows real retro-futuristic flair, and is what initially attracted me to this range.

Like many 1960s Seikos, this Skyliner is conservatively styled. The classic styling and ample 36 mm diamater ensure that this 40+ year old watch is very wearable today. This example has a sea horse image in relief on the caseback, which Seiko used for a period to symbolise a degree of water resistance. Of course, back in the day it was perfectly acceptable to proclaim that a watch was WATER PROOF!

A rule of thumb for vintage Seiko mechanicals is that the quality and refinement of a calibre (within that movement family) is indicated by the 3rd digit of the calibre designation. Thus the 6220 is a step up from a 6217, for example. What makes this movement interesting and special is hinted at by the DIASHOCK text on the dial.

Check out the shock absorption Seiko has installed in there! I love the appearance of a ruby with a gold shock absorbing 'cap', and I wanted a 6220 from the first time I saw one naked. It's a shame that modern movements don't include such elaborate shock absorption measures, IMO.

It's all too easy, especially when starting out in this hobby, to be overwhelmed by the big money peices on show, and to assume that it takes big $$$ to get a 'good' watch. This Skyliner, all original except for the strap, cost under US$150. It definitely shows evidence of a long life, but much of the wear that is visible on a computer screen is less obvious in real life. The rough edges of most vintage pieces aren't for everybody, but for those of us who like vintage style, who can accept a bit of wabi-sabi, and who have an interest in mechanical movements, there is plenty to appreciate in this simple old Seiko.

Re: You don't have to spend a lot...

I do like that a lot, cracking photos and write up :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner

What makes this movement interesting and special is hinted at by the DIASHOCK text on the dial.
    Surely all modern era Seiko's have Diashock? It's just Seiko's patent name for a shock absorption system.

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner

Check out the shock absorption Seiko has installed in there! I love the appearance of a ruby with a gold shock absorbing 'cap', and I wanted a 6220 from the first time I saw one naked. It's a shame that modern movements don't include such elaborate shock absorption measures, IMO.

Looks fairly standard to me but please enlighten me.

I think all shock absorbing systems work in a similar way with a spring at the top of the staff including Incabloc and Kif.

Nice watch though.............. here's my Skyliner Calendar, a pretty old script dial J15019 (pre Seiko dating system) which also trumpets Diashock on the dial in much the same way older Swiss watches often have Incabloc on the dial.

Good to see a nice interesting old Seiko though, thanks for posting. I'm really interested in historical Seiko's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Surely all modern era Seiko's have Diashock? It's just Seiko's patent name for a shock absorption system.

I think all shock absorbing systems work in a similar way with a spring at the top of the staff including Incabloc and Kif.
    The shock absorption methodology is nothing unusual. The number of shock absorbers is, and is not seen on any modern movements with which I am familiar. Seiko went through a phase of whacking the caps on jewels all over the place, whereas nowadays they are generally on the balance wheel only.

The 4S15 was the last mainstream Seiko movement to feature such extravagant shock absorption, and I understand that calibre was related to a much older calibre (possibly the 56xx?).

You are correct that Diashock is a Seiko trademark for a shock absorber, and I understand it refers to the 'three leaved' type on the balance staff. The wheels use different caps, and I have a feeling Seiko uses a different name for that style, but it has slipped my mind for now.

Again very nice photos and very nice post - for me, though its either the KS, GS, or the Pogue.... or a diver.... Hell, Seiko makes a lot of nice things.... :D

Very nice.

Plus you don't mind taking the back off when they're out of warranty!

[quote=jason recliner]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C":azep86vv

The shock absorption methodology is nothing unusual. The number of shock absorbers is, and is not seen on any modern movements with which I am familiar. Seiko went through a phase of whacking the caps on jewels all over the place, whereas nowadays they are generally on the balance wheel only. [/quote:azep86vv]

I guess they realised they were superfluous? :wink:

TBH the staff being ultra thin is really the only part that of the movement that needs shock absorption for fear of breakage.

Strange old idea from Seiko. I have had later GS and KS without the extra bits.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman

Agree,
    that one s a beautie.

Craftsman

pretty insides lol

:D Very pretty insides and the watch is clean, simple and classy. You do get a lot of quality in a vintage Seiko for the money.

[quote=jason recliner]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C":1wnue5e2

The shock absorption methodology is nothing unusual. The number of shock absorbers is, and is not seen on any modern movements with which I am familiar. Seiko went through a phase of whacking the caps on jewels all over the place, whereas nowadays they are generally on the balance wheel only.

The 4S15 was the last mainstream Seiko movement to feature such extravagant shock absorption, and I understand that calibre was related to a much older calibre (possibly the 56xx?).

You are correct that Diashock is a Seiko trademark for a shock absorber, and I understand it refers to the 'three leaved' type on the balance staff. The wheels use different caps, and I have a feeling Seiko uses a different name for that style, but it has slipped my mind for now.[/quote:1wnue5e2]
    The 6220C calibre wasn't related to what we think of as the 62xx calibre series - 6205, 6206, 6217 and 6218. These were automatic winding movements that came in 17, 24, 26 and 35 jewel flavours:

The 6220C movement:

Was a development of the Marvel series of movements from the fifties:

Back when the Marvel was being developed the shock protection went through three phases, none as can be seen by the lack of any springing:

Then antishock, sometimes referred to as Nivaflex:

And finally Diashock with the familiar triple sprung cap:

Your Skyliner is a beautiful example Jason, and judging by the year of production must have been one of the last off the production lines - congratulations! I love seeing these early Seiko's. :)

Good looking piece, goes well with the old Pentax :D

(I had no idea a Skyliner range had ever existed )

Nice watch, inside and out, nice pictures and info too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop

The 6220C calibre wasn't related to what we think of as the 62xx calibre series - 6205, 6206, 6217 and 6218. These were automatic winding movements that came in 17, 24, 26 and 35 jewel flavours:

Good info as usual.

I find old good quality Seiko's so interesting and always pick up unusual oldies when I see them although I want them to be pretty near perfect. They are hard to find though as people obviously didn't look after something that was, "only a Seiko" so well. :?

BTW The 62XX's are lovely movements.

Here's a pic of my 35 jewel 6218C with micro adjustment.

Lives in here. 8)

Cheers,
    Neil.

Here's a pic of my 35 jewel 6218C with micro adjustment.

Lives in here. 8)

That's a superb Seikomatic Neil - the 6218 is a sweet movement indeed.

Yours is a beautiful example of a Seikomatic 6218 Neal, very nice. Does it have the dolphin and crown on the caseback? If so even better!

I must admit I have a weak spot for the 62xx calibre Seiko's, like you Neal I buy them when I see them. I think I have well over a dozen at the last count.The only one calibre I don't have yet is the 6218, I have only seen a couple on eBay that were in a condition I would bid on and they went for way above what I was prepared to pay. The one's the dealers have are out of my price range by default.
    One of these days! I suppose I should stop being such a tightwad really! :wink:

Right you can't get wrong with Seiko....

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    Yours is a beautiful example of a Seikomatic 6218 Neal, very nice. Does it have the dolphin and crown on the caseback? If so even better!
    No.

It's a 6218-8971 with the old type design on the caseback and dates to June 1965 but the centre disc is blank.

I have looked through a lens at it thinking it may have been worn down because as you know they are inscribed very lightly but I have come to the conclusion that it was always blank from new.

As usual there are no definitive answers with many vintage Seiko's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

It's a 6218-8971 with the old type design on the caseback and dates to June 1965 but the centre disc is blank.

I have looked through a lens at it thinking it may have been worn down because as you know they are inscribed very lightly but I have come to the conclusion that it was always blank from new.

As usual there are no definitive answers with many vintage Seiko's.
    I would imagine the centre was always blank, I have a couple of 6206-80xx's with the same type of back. They have the calibre-case number, waterproof and unbreakable mainspring around the perimeter but a perfectly smooth centre. Also the script doesnt look like a stamping, more of a deep acid etch.

I agree.

The trouble with vintage Seiko is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason for some stuff and you are never completely sure what to expect.

I have had one button chronographs from '64 with a sea horse back and '66 models with an Olympic back (the Tokyo Olympics were in '64) and the same model watches some with a plain back and some with a Sea horse, all original.

Make's it a bit more interesting though. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

for the price point i dont think you can go wrong with some of the vintage seiko's , esp the old chronographs (panda ,bullhead,one button, 'monaco' ).

What a beauty. Really like the lettering on the dial.

Journeyman

Lovely Seikos you have there!
    A couple of mine plus two vintage Citizen:

Quote Originally Posted by adim
    Lovely Seikos you have there!
    A couple of mine plus two vintage Citizen:
    A lovely set of early Seiko's, congratulations. The vintage Citizens look very good too, and a lot harder to find too.