closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jogging......

Jogging......

I'm having a keep fit year this year, and have been jogging on the running machine for a few weeks now.

I'm doing around 3 miles a day, takes 30 minutes, and currently doing it 6 times a week.

My question is, is this a decent distance in a decent time? Is it too much or too little?

Cheers lads ;)

Re: Jogging......

Quote Originally Posted by gilford
    I'm having a keep fit year this year, and have been jogging on the running machine for a few weeks now.

I'm doing around 3 miles a day, takes 30 minutes, and currently doing it 6 times a week.

My question is, is this a decent distance in a decent time? Is it too much or too little?

Cheers lads ;)
    To much imo , i jog to to the car...from car to shops.....from car to home , :o
    On a serious note i would do what your comfortable with and add a little every few goes

Craftsman

10 minute miles are OK, depending on your age and fitness of course.
    Depends again if you want to lose weight or just get fitter.

If you can run for 30 mins without stopping that's good, plan might now be - depending on provisos above - to increase the time you run for, not to run the 3 miles faster. Build up to maybe 50 minutes or an hour if you can 2 or 3 times a week, make sure you give yourself time to recover after the run.

Good luck, running gets addictive! :toothy8:

Grand Master

Where do you want it to end? Are you intending racing or just general fitness?

I would recommend that you go along to your local Parkrun http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ After completing that you will see where you rank in the area and UK amongst other runners. Best bit is that it is free and you receive rewards for the more you do

Enjoy
    RIAC

Master

Bearing in mind I'm training for a half-marathon so our goals may differ, and also I suspect you are a tad younger that me :D ...

I might suggest a little less often and mix it up a bit more. For example during the course of a week I tend to do one easy run (now about 45 mins), a tempo*/interval run, one run about an hour and then a longer run outside at the weekend (12k this weekend).

If you do 4 runs a week that implies 2 are on consecutive days which is good, the second run being a "recovery" run which means training fatigued to improve recovery.

I'd say you should consider one half hour "normal" run, one half hour tempo and a couple of 45 min or so runs a week.

I'd also recommend at least one run a week outside - I actually prefer being outside but have to ration myself because of impact.

*Tempo run = interval run where you run say 4 minutes at easy pace, 4 minutes at a pace where you would struggle to say more than a short sentence.

Craftsman

Try some short (3-4 minutes) bursts of speed to keep your heart rate up and also make sure you have a testing (but not taxing) incline aswell.

Getting your heart rate into the correct zone (and keeping it there) is more important than outright speed or distance, aim for around 150 bpm :wink:

First things first, how old are you & how much do you weigh?

1. Nobody jogs - you're a runner. :)

2. Six days a week is too often. Recovery is just as important as training. At your level, running three times a week is ample. If you want to train on more days, do other activities such as swimming, boxing or rowing.

3. Start stretching yourself a little - gradually extend the distance or up the tempo, or both.

4. Make sure you're comfortable at all times but if you can speak easily while you're doing the last 500m, you're not putting in enough effort.

5. If you must use the running machine, put it on a slight incline. This will mimic the difficulty you'll find outside the gym.

:)

**EDIT** By the way, if you haven't had a medical or a gym assessment for some time, make sure you take the time to have one - helps to avoid injury or over-stressing the body too quickly. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    I'm 34 and weigh just over 12 1/2 stone. I'm not doing this to lose weight per se, I'm 6'1 so I'd rather bulk up a bit but I have a bit of a beer belly I've accumulated since Macy arrived a couple of years ago which I'd like to shift ;)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    I'm 34 and weigh just over 12 1/2 stone. I'm not doing this to lose weight per se, I'm 6'1 so I'd rather bulk up a bit but I have a bit of a beer belly I've accumulated since Macy arrived a couple of years ago which I'd like to shift ;)
    Running should sort that mate, although far quicker results if you road run, only problem is, it obliterates your knees.

I use the x trainer quite a bit and find this as a good (pain free?) alternative to running. Even tread mills take their toll over time. Focus on time rather than distance, you may find 3x45 minutes a week every bit if not more effective than 6x30

Ryan, how the devil are you mate! Not heard from you in a while :)

I may buy some more equipment if I really get in to it, but at the moment I just want to shift my expensive pot belly ;)

Welcome to running, now get outside and do it! Far better that way and I always do it wherever I am, from Afghanistan to Reykjavik.

There are lots of schools of thought on running and so once you go get of the hamster wheel and outside I'd encourage you to google minimalist running and barefoot running (not really barefoot necessarily) and enjoy the read.

Master

Ryan, how the devil are you mate! Not heard from you in a while :)

I may buy some more equipment if I really get in to it, but at the moment I just want to shift my expensive pot belly ;)
    I'm good thanks Marcus!

Ahh doing from home, wish I could but now that I can't road run I have to use the x trainer at the gym, you will shift that belly...... And still slip in a few cheeky pints at the weekend. What works for me is eating well and avoiding booze during the week, gym 3 times approx 1.5 hours a time, cardio + weights and than at the weekend I eat and drink WTF I like :D

Barefoot running, as mentioned by Viking72 - absolute revelation. Seriously, don't be put off because it looks like some new fad. Basically, don't land heel first, that's not how the leg is designed to work. The treadmill will be absorbing the impact for now, but hit the road and you're not doing yourself any good.

If you want to lose the tum (within a decent timeframe - i.e. before summer!), 30 mins is not enough. Slow down your pace or shorten your gait if you need, the distance is wholly irrelevant unless you're training to run a certain distance - but you'll need to elevate your heart rate and keep it there for 40 mins before fat burning kicks in.
    Basically, your body at the onset of exercise, begins burning up muscle protein as it's easier to break down, and a quicker energy hit. After 30+ mins it realises that your for the long haul and it begins burning Fat, as this gives far greater energy rewards. It doesn't need to be 180bpm or anything daft, just get your heart rate higher than, say, from walking, and keep it ticking over there.

Don't do this 6 times a week (unless you really have to!) - 3 is adequate and you do need the rest.
    Chuck in a bit of alternative training as already suggested. Do a sprint session (4 x 100m, once a week, fast as you can - that's all you need. 15 mins tops!)
    If you're not a gym queen or keen on other classes (boxing/spinning etc) at the least try a few kettlebell excercises - you can do this from home, build actual usuable strength, it will beast your cardio as well as muscles, and you can do it in 20 min sessions or less. (This is the fastest result training i have ever seen - EVERYONE should use kettlebells!)

Good luck matey. And keep on it!
    (out of interest, you're same age, height and weight as me)

If you feel good for it fine. Your body soon starts telling you if you're overdoing it. Only problem I see is boredom.