closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Date between 4 & 5... any good?

Date between 4 & 5... any good?

Admiring Monet's Zenith Rainbow just now (http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=213610) reminded me how much I like watches with the date window between 4 & 5. I know many of the vintage Zenith models had the date there, but I'm surprised it isn't more common as there's never much going on there on a dial, and it means no sub-dial/register cutting or loss of an hour marker.

Any other "4.5" dates out there? Old or new, Zenith or otherwise? ... and in the interests of balance, if you don't like 'em, why not? (You're obviously wrong, but I'll hear you out. :mrgreen:)

The only one I have is also from the vintage Zenith stable, this Movado Pilot.

Rich.
    Last edited by Richie_101; 18th August 2013 at 17:50.

Re: Date between 4 & 5... any good?

The example above isn't too bad but in general no, I don't like them as I prefer a dial to be symmetrical.

Master

at 4:30 isnt bad.... those ones at closer to 5 is pretty annoying :lol: :lol: :lol:

seems like a logical and appropriate place to put the date window, otherwise it would interfere with the sub-dial at 3.

Master

my UTS has a 4-5 discreetly out of the way!

Check out the Sinn 656. It has the date pretty between 4-5 but more towards the centre of the face. Looks good in my opinion.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I've just the one watch with a date 4-5...this Ball EMII Diver.
    I like it...doesn't suit every watch though.

4:30 seems like the best place to put it as it doesn't interfere with the symmetry (well not much)....and IMHO it looks better there than the couple I have (Anonimo and Sinn) with non-chronograph dials where the date windows are close to 3:30 :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by McTeflon
    Check out the Sinn 656. It has the date pretty between 4-5 but more towards the centre of the face. Looks good in my opinion.
    Looks good, yes. However, it's so small I find it unreadable even with reading glasses on!!

Master
    Blog Entries

I've never considered that dial layout myself, as being a right wrist wearer it's uncomfortable cranking the neck to the required angle to read it. I prefer symmetry too.

It's popular because the dial looks symmetrical otherwise.

Couple here

One here

But if the date is at '3', then I think the look can also be "right".

Yeah, on automatics with no complications or on tricompax layouts of 3-6-9, it can make a lot of sense. Often it doesn't unbalance the dial because the date ring background in the same color as the dial.

Craftsman

Think all of those posted with the date between 4 and 5 look very good.

couple more 4.30 date beauties :drunken:

Banned

Very nice indeed!

Tag chronos at 4 oclock dont look to bad

Craftsman

The date window at 4-5 broke the symetry of the dial .
    Some purists may find it unconventionnal.

IMO a date window between 4 and 5 is possible on sport watches or tool watches.
    It's not so fine on dress watches...

More 'modern' watches than I was expecting, good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by esm
    at 4:30 isnt bad.... those ones at closer to 5 is pretty annoying :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I hadn't noticed that before, but in those cases I suspect that the calibre/date ring used is designed to have the date displayed at '3' (i.e. when the dial is removed the date will be perfectly lined up at '3') whereas the Zenith's and some of the others were designed with a date at '4:30' from the start.

I see the symmetry argument, but surely if you put a date window in place of a 3 marker and then put a big cyclops over it, the symmetry is blown anyway isn't it? :?

Rich.

Tri-compax designs don't need a date at all - they really have no space for it IMO :|

The date at 3 would only be symmetrical if you had an identical date window at 9. I think having the date at 6 is perhaps my fave.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin10
    couple more 4.30 date beauties :drunken:
    Now describing that as a beauty has to be one of the biggest understatements going :) :) :)

Halios Bluering looks OK.
    Long gone.

Master

Revue Thommen made the very nice Titanium Airspeed Chronograph, with both auto (Lemania 5100 and then Valjoux 7750) movements, and the quartz 251.262 version, which emulates the L5100, but loses the day/date window at the 3, and instead has a date only window at 4. Interestingly, the date disc used here provides for the numbers to be upright in the widow, rather than at an angle as some others shown above.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    Revue Thommen made the very nice Titanium Airspeed Chronograph, with both auto (Lemania 5100 and then Valjoux 7750) movements, and the quartz 251.262 version, which emulates the L5100, but loses the day/date window at the 3, and instead has a date only window at 4. Interestingly, the date disc used here provides for the numbers to be upright in the widow, rather than at an angle as some others shown above.

Now you have added another element to the discussion, horizontal or angled date window at 4.30. The horizontal one does look very neat.

Yes I agree. For me it has to be horizontal. The dates on an angle seem almost like lazy/poor design..as if they couldn't be bothered redesigning the date ring to make the numbers horizontal when at this position.

Fine place for a date in my opinion.

Well, OK, that one's actually at 4, but still..

..that one's at 4 too...

Quote Originally Posted by McTeflon
    Yes I agree. For me it has to be horizontal. The dates on an angle seem almost like lazy/poor design..as if they couldn't be bothered redesigning the date ring to make the numbers horizontal when at this position.
    I don't think it's a case of not being bothered, rather a case of economics. Having a different date ring design would mean a change from the standard calibre and a special order from the movement supplier, increasing costs.

That didn't worry Breitling when they made this Chrono-Matic in the 1970's with a date at '6 and a third' - the resulting date ring has numbers at a very weird angle.

Not exactly a watch for the symmetry fans either, but I like it. :wink:

Rich.
    Last edited by Richie_101; 18th August 2013 at 17:56.

Here's one at 4.30...

But i prefer the date at 6...

not sure if this counts, its somewhere between 4 and 5, i love it! 8)

Here's three, the first two at 4.30, the last at 4:

I think white on black date wheels help hugely with these configurations. The white date wheel on the Zeno jars a little to my mind but I have no problems otherwise with its placement at 4.

Martin

In general, I don't like it. The convention of placing the date on the hour makes the half-hour positioning (or even worse the 3/4 hour!) confusing when you just glance at the watch-face. This is especially pronounced where the the date is bold and the hour markers are low-key:

There's only one proper location for the date - on a calendar. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza

But i prefer the date at 6...
    Also prefer the date at 6- makes for a cleaner dial I think. I find it mildly annoying that more don't do this.

My Bremont is between 4&5, would be nicer at 6 but dont think it would look right in the P

Hmmm that Bremont dial does look a bit cluttered IMHO...

Just noticed that most of the watches that have a date at 4.30 the numbers are in line with the bezel rather than horizontal, which IMHO is confusing and difficult to read quickly.

In fact my B&R and the Glashutte seem to be the ones that have the numbers horizontal and looking at it, (apart from how inset it is due to the small size of the movement) I think B&R have executed the date at 4.30 really well...

This example is very nice, but in general they appear off balance. I guess it's a little OCD, but it bugs me.....even worse if they make it round :shock:

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. As long as it's not showing three days at a time and isn't in a watch too big for the movement (so the date is too far away from the edge of dial) then I'm fine.

What it will indicate in some watches, usually chronographs with a tri-compax (3-6-9 layout), is that it could be a modular chrono movement which would prompt me to find out for sure what movement it's using.

Seems like good place to me, but it's a good point that it works better when the number wheel is the same colour as the dial and when the digits are rotated to the horizontal. I've always liked the way the digits on my Steinhart Aviation lines up nicely with the 'automatic' text -although parallax in the photo makes it look like it doesn't :)

(with apologies for shoddy photo)

Craftsman

I like it. A couple of mine have it....
    Strela has it the "wrong way" up, so orientation suitable for a date at 6 o'clock.

And Tag Monza has thebmore usual date orientation suitable for a date at 3 o'clock

All my watches have the date, and I like a bit of variation in where it sits

Master

Chrono with date at 6

Chrono with date closer to 5 than 4:30

Quartz with date at 4 o'clock

Another quartz with date at 4 o'clock

Thought I'd throw in something abit different - quartz with date at 2 o'clock :lol:

Have a couple chrono with no date, they are pretty boring :lol:

Craftsman

I used to own a Ball EHCI that had the date window between 4 & 5 ...

... and then sold it for a Bell & Ross BR02-94, with a similarly positioned date window :lol:

I do like the fact that the date on the B&R is not skewed at an angle though!

Quote Originally Posted by pashmolean
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. As long as it's not showing three days at a time and isn't in a watch too big for the movement (so the date is too far away from the edge of dial) then I'm fine.

What it will indicate in some watches, usually chronographs with a tri-compax (3-6-9 layout), is that it could be a modular chrono movement which would prompt me to find out for sure what movement it's using.
    I find the most reliable ways of telling are distance of the date from dial surface (ie. tunnel effect from module height) and if the pushers are in line with the crown.

Watches that typically have date at 4:30 in my experience are the el primero and valjoux 7750 with the 3-6-9 layout.