closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1953 Omega Cal. 283

Journeyman

1953 Omega Cal. 283

Evening all,

I was recently given my Grandfathers Omega. This was left to be many years ago but I have only just received it about 2 months ago.

The watch was in excellent condition given its age and the fact that it probably had not been used in over 25 years. I sent it of to STS for a service and clean up and it has just returned and I am very happy with the results.

I spent slightly more on the service etc than I was anticapating but given the watch will never be sold the cost of the service vs the value of the watch is basically irrelevant. I also requested STS to supply a brown leather omega strap to replace the shabby aftermarket strap that I received it on.

In terms of the model I am not so sure, It is certainly dated to 1953 and is powered by the calibre 283

All in all I am over the moon to be able to wear my grandfathers time peice in all it's glory - It is keping great time too!

Journeyman

Re: 1953 Omega Cal. 283

Anyone know if this has a model name?

Obviously not a Seamaster..

Journeyman

Congratulations for owning this beautiful 60 year old Omega :D and what a fine job STS has done on it bet it is a joy to wear it.

Journeyman

STS did a fantastic job, I feel they will be getting quite a bit of business from me this year
    !!
    Just purchased another early 70s Omega - I'm sure it will be making a trip to to STS for a service and clean up when it arrives.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 86latour
    STS did a fantastic job, I feel they will be getting quite a bit of business from me this year
    !!
    Just purchased another early 70s Omega - I'm sure it will be making a trip to to STS for a service and clean up when it arrives.
    Agreed, it's a nice watch and it's been properly restored.

I`m not knocking the service STS offers; on the right watch I`m it's worthwhile and can be good value. However, on the more basic Omega models like this one, which doesn`t have any elaborate case finishing and a straightforward movement, there are cheaper options that could've produced a similar result.

STS can be the best choice if a watch requires several major new parts (balance, auto-winding rotor and post etc) because they have a supply of good second-hand bits which they refuse to sell to anyone else. However, where a watch doesn`t need replacement parts but simply needs a clean, re-oiling and adjusting, I think the STS option is extravagent overkill.

I have a collection of 10 vintage Omegas, all of which will be serviced and refurbished by myself over the next few months as time permits. I`m not quite a perfectionist but I set high standards and I`ll replace parts where necessary. However, there's a decision to be made here that relates to the value of the watch and the owner's expectation. Usually, a vintage watch can be made to run fairly well and reliably without replacing anything. The watch will run fine but won`t be as good a performer as when it was new. It can usually be regulated to keep reasonable time but will probably suffer with positional errors which will make the timekeeping erratic; I`m talking about +/- 20 secs/day here, not minutes/day! My point is that, in many cases, this is acceptable for a vintage watch provided it runs reliably, particularly if it's a family heirloom or a dress watch that doesn`t get worn routinely.

Before committing to the expense of STS or Bienne restoration I`d advise the owner to ask himself what he really wants from the watch......and to consider the cheaper alternatives which might be equally acceptable to him. I guess there's no substitute for the 'warm feeling some folks get from Bienne (or STS).....but it's costing them.

Personally, I`ll take great pleasure in sorting out my own collection and getting the satisfaction of doing them myself.

Paul

Journeyman

Well I have no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to servicing and refinishing a case etc so would always want my work to be carried out by a professional. I tend to choose the people and companies that work on my watches through personal recommendations.
    I have had some amazing work completed by various people.
    When considering my grandfather's watch, nearly 60 years old, I was keen to have this serviced and lightly restored to its former glory. Given the sentimental value of this watch, I would not even consider undertaking the work myself, to ensure a professional result.

It's true I may have overpaid in the past but I'm happy to pay good money for good service.

Grand Master

I was lucky to get some professional training courses (BHI) paid for as part of my redundancy package in 2010. That's given me enough knowledge etc to teach myself from that point onwards. Knowledge/undertanding is one thing, skill is another. Watch-repairing is a skill and the only way to develop it is by practice. Since taking early retirement I`m fortunate in having penty of time to do this and I`ve now reached a standard I`m happy with. I spent many years taking my watches to a repairer for servicing because I couldn`t do them myself. Wish I`d learnt a lot earlier but I didn`t have enough time when I was working.

The cosmetic/case restoration side of it is relatively easy, albeit time-consuming; that's the part people so it is important. Many watch repairers hate doing case restoration because it is laborious. A good repairer can strip and service a movement in a short time and most of them prefer this type of work.

Whoever is doing the work on a watch, it is vital to establish exactly what they're doing and how they're doing it. There are still 'repairers' around who will cut corners and not strip the movement completely. Some still won't use modern lubricants and don`t follow the up to date manufacturers spec sheets in this respect. The guy who I dealt with for many years is guilty of this.......I caught him out when I'd learnt enough to ask the right questions!

Paul

Journeyman

Thanks for your comments, some good points to consider.
    For now I have no inclination to learn to service my own watches, I simply don't have the time.
    I may be spending money that could otherwise be spent elsewhere but I'm not too concerned.
    Maybe in the future I will learn a bit more, particularly some of the basic techniques.

Beautiful. Your grandfather would be proud.

I like that very much.

Just got my Stepfather's Zenith a couple of weeks ago and I will wear it on special occasions....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

8) 8) very nice indeed

You certainly have one to cherish there....

Absolutely stunning - its a great thing to have something like this with that kind of history attached to it... :)

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    Beautiful. Your grandfather would be proud.
    ^^^^nothing more to add^^^^

Just wonderful!

Craftsman

Back in the day not all Omegas were manufactured/sold within a particular model range. I think your watch comes within that category. Do you happen to know the watch case/reference number. If not, a quick call to STS should provide the answer. Armed with that info you can search Omega's vintage database for more details of your watch. Based on your photos it could be a ref CK2640, here's a link to the database for that watch

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/hist ... FtcDtzcD02

Master

Lovely. Just my sort of thing, that. Delightfully classic.

I have a 10 year younger vintage Omega seamaster auto that I inherited from my grandfather. I fully understand the joy you get from your grandfather's watch. I even wore mine on my wedding day.... here's an appalling pic of a great watch! It's so great to keep 'em worn. I wonder whether I will ever have a grandson to leave this one to...!

Master

Omega really nailed the dress watch in the 50's. Never bettered since.

Very nice indeed, congratulations. I really need to get myself a grown up watch soon...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by RickS

Back in the day not all Omegas were manufactured/sold within a particular model range. I think your watch comes within that category. Do you happen to know the watch case/reference number. If not, a quick call to STS should provide the answer. Armed with that info you can search Omega's vintage database for more details of your watch. Based on your photos it could be a ref CK2640, here's a link to the database for that watch

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/hist ... FtcDtzcD02
    Many thanks for this, I have the movement number but not the case. I'll call STS given I can't be ar#ed to take the back off.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd
    I have a 10 year younger vintage Omega seamaster auto that I inherited from my grandfather. I fully understand the joy you get from your grandfather's watch. I even wore mine on my wedding day.... here's an appalling pic of a great watch! It's so great to keep 'em worn. I wonder whether I will ever have a grandson to leave this one to...!

Hello Merlin, fancy this eh? You and I discusing vintage Omegas...
    I'm loving this watch and wouldn't be at all surprised if this one is on wrist for my wedding day!