closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Comparison/ Review: IWC MK XV vs PRS22 Speedbird GMT

Banned
    Blog Entries

Comparison/ Review: IWC MK XV vs PRS22 Speedbird GMT

Ive put this here for traffic. I thought it may get moved to the reviews sub forum if deemed of sufficient value.

IWC MK XV vs PRS22 Speedbird

March 2012.

I have recently traded this and that and ended up with an IWC MK XV (white dial). I have owned a PRS22 GMT for over a year now and thought it may be fun to write a comparison of the two pieces and try and get some fruity pictures for your perusal. I have named the review as I have because its my intention to try and compare these two watches and review them from my point of view at the same time. I intend to purposely ignore the obvious differences and essentially treat the PRS22 GMT Speedbird as if it did not have a GMT hand at all. I won’t be mentioning that feature at all and also I will avoid any sort of comparison of the dial as I think being different colours they really to different for their to be any kind of fair comparison.

My photography skills of late have not really gone much further than the Iphone photobucket app so I’ll give my apologies in advance!

I’ve looked at some other reviews here and on other sites and I’ve decided to break this one down into sections to try and make it easier to read and to allow the reader to skip any section they may not be worried about. It’s my intention to try and point out likes and dislikes that I’ve have about each piece in a factual way. Its not going to be possible to present this in a totally impartial way as obviously everything I say is going to blatantly be my opinion but Il try and keep it to a minimum so hopefully you can make up your own mind.

The case number on the IWC dates it t0 2001-2003. The PRS22 Speedbird GMT was brand new in 2011.

I hope you enjoy reading and looking.

Case:

On first inspection the cases look very similar but on handling them you very soon start to notice differences between the two. The Speedbirds extra 50g or so is noticeable straight away and gives the watch a more utilitarian feel. The IWC does feel a little more “dress watch” and this is emphasised by more streamline position on the wrist. The Speedbird’s has a larger case at 39mm to the IWC’s 38mm but this is diminished when looking at the watch on the wrist because the SB sits higher. I can’t really tell the difference while wearing, but when side by side of course its noticeable.

When looking at the watches from the side the Speedbird somehow flows better in its design, The IWC’s lugs cut down at quite an angle to clear the area where the case back screws in. The sides of the case on the IWC are not as deep as the PRS22GMT, which of course we know from the measurements, but somehow when looking from the side the IWC looks somehow crude. Almost like the movement and dial / crystal are poking out of a case that’s too small. Turn the watch around to the crown side and you notice straight away that the PRS22GMT does not have a signed crown, which is unfortunate I think, but perhaps dictated by the price point of the watch. It does though look as if it has a raised area that would in fact have been designed to have an emblem of some kind engraved into or cut out of it without using the main body of steel in the crown its self. The IWC’s crown is signed with the fish emblem IWC use to signify that the watch has some water resistance and has been tested during manufacture. The only other thing I’ve noticed while playing with these is that the IWC’s crown fits slightly in to a recess in the case, which when screwing it down does give a much nicer feeling of “screwing it in” and sits beautifully on the side of the case. I do prefer this to the Speedbird as I do feel I’m not really sure if I’m screwing too tight or not tight enough.

This whole “side on” thing is of course totally unimportant when wearing the watch or looking at it from anything other than directly side on, which if wearing the watch of course you will very rarely do, but again I’m always playing with my watches and so I have noticed in my normal daily wearing.

The bezel of the IWC has a polished area at its top, which is flat. This gives the watch a dressier feel than id expect from a Pilot/Military watch and its at this point I start to wonder if IWC had it in mind that this watch should be a pilots/dress watch. Perhaps there was some crossover of marketing strategy at IWC HQ with the MK XV. I know this is a controversial thought and IWC would no doubt aggressively defend themselves against such a claim taking into account the heritage on the MK X and XII, and I accept of course I may be barking entirely up the wrong tree, but the question remains for me, why is it there? This does mean that by comparison the PRS22GMT is far more military in style simply because of this seemingly tiny detail. When looking at the time you don’t notice, but if you start to study the watch (as I spend much of my time doing with whatever piece I’m wearing) your eye is very much drawn away from the dial by this feature on the IWC. This polished surface is also a negative for me because it picks up marks that you would just never see if the thing was brushed. The IWC has a little protrusion of the crystal above the bezel, which no doubt is due to the design allowing for the flat area that’s polished. The Speedbird’s crystal is very nearly flush, but the bezel has more slope and less flat area at its top.

The IWC only has 60m of water resistance while the Speedbird has 100m, perhaps in no small part related to the difference in height of the cases. Both however provide ample protection from the ravages of the shower.
    (I have risked it!)
    I’ve worn my Speedbird at the swimming pool though and I’m not sure I’d do the same with the IWC.

Both watches have screw backs. The IWC’s has a polished outer edge and circular grip holes on the centre part, the PRS22 has them at the outer edge. Ive no preference really here, but the polished back picks up scratches easily. The PRS also has lots of info about the watch stamped in the back, a nice touch if you’re always playing with it as I am.

The IWC has a 19mm lug the SB 20mm. This makes the PRS22 Easy to accessorise and the MK XV not, but IWC have changed this with the 1mm larger case MK XVI.

Dials:
    As the watches are not really 100% of the same design, one having a white dial and one a black I thought not best not really to mention the dials as any comparison would be unfair. All I thought id say on the issue is that the Dial on both watches are very legible and easy to read. As you can see they are very similar in their design, both of case and bracelet and if the PRS22 was a non GMT they would be even closer.

I don’t normally get on with white dial watches, but this one has managed to undo that pattern in my behaviour. The dial is not glossy so I think it may be Matt, but I’m not 100% sure. I know this is irrelevant really but I thought id mention it.

The IWC has white metal surrounds (white gold?) around the lume and the triangle at 12 o’clock, the PRS does not which for me gives it a less cluttered and more utilitarian feel.

My only comment here that would satisfy my taste a little is that the IWC has a white date window with black writing. This works so well with the white dial. For me if the PRS had a black date window with white writing it would blend a little better with the rest of the dial. Of course if I was comparing the PRS22 with a black Dial MK 15 id be saying exactly the same about the IWC as they also have a white date but the PRS22 has a black on white. It’s not a fair comparison.

Bracelet:

On first glance the two bracelets here look similar, but as soon as you pick them that’s up the similarity ends.
    Both bracelets have 5 links across. The SB links are 0.4mm thick, the IWC 0.3. This sounds like a very small difference, but it gives a very different feel in the hand and on the wrist. The centre clasp on the SB is a double clasp that sits inside the bracelet against the wrist. This is sometimes described as a double butterfly. The IWC has a single butterfly that has a hidden release button under an IWC signed buckle. This has the single pin held by a spring loaded “pusher” design, very similar to the one you will find on an Omega Bond style strap with hidden clasp.

SB

IWC

There is an element of finishing on the IWC clasp that gives a feeling of extra care (or time) in manufacture. Neither strap has a micro adjustment like you would find on an oyster style bracelet.

The IWC uses a very simple system for removing the links and the watch is supplied with the two push tools to do it. I think this is the most user-friendly strap adjustment system I’ve ever seen for removing links and IWC must have spent a fortune developing it. By contrast the SB has quite a fiddly method for removing links with the pins that require a screwdriver each end to adjust them.
    (Picture of removed links and pins from both straps.)

The IWC bracelet does feel incredible on the wrist. It’s without doubt the most comfortable bracelet I’ve ever worn. It just feels superb on the wrist and oozes quality. It does however again lend its self, through its aesthetic, towards a dressier style, not in the way it looks on the wrist so much, but with its polished sides and almost delicate feel. Don’t get me wrong with this point when I say that undoubtedly the IWC strap is in every way superior to the SB, but the SB bracelet has a more rugged, tool like feel which I like equally to the dressier feel of the IWC.

What is absolutely not superior on the IWC is the end links. Both watches have solid end links, but It makes absolutely no sense to me how IWC can get theirs so wrong in comparison to the rest of this so over engineered piece of art that is the rest of the bracelet. The end links fit the 19mm lugs in width but are too short in both height and length to fill the case. The picture here will show a comparison and hopefully explain what I mean. This is such a pity and the SB end links just fit so perfectly to the PRS 22’s case that its clear IWC have absolutely no excuse!

Movements:

Both watches are fitted with movements made by ETA. The IWC movement is altered to their own specifications, but as the watch is not a chronometer I’m not sure what the grade of this would have been to start with, but according the IWC website it is then renamed a 37524 and will be nickel plated. While researching I’ve also read it contains 30110 which is gold plated.

The PRS22 GMT has an ETA 2893-2 which is an “elabore” version. This is the version second only to the chronometer. The non GMT Speedbird 3 has had a chronometer grade 2824-2 (first 50) if you can find one and the current “stock” f TF have a “standard” version of the same calibre.

I’m no Horologist and I cannot comment on the quality of the movements with any real authority. They are both fitted with ETA calibres that I understand are good quality movements used extensively throughout the industry and respected by many. I’m told the ETA calibres in both these watches are also straightforward to service and source parts for.

As far as decoration goes I think it’s a nice thought but actually completely unnecessary on watches that have no see through case back. The only purpose I can imagine that such decoration serves on a non-display back watch is to pass a chronometer certification and as neither of these watches have that I don’t really see the point.

Lume:

Both watches are very bright after being in direct sunlight or under a lamp. The SB has both blue and green lume which is a nice touch.

The PRS22 is easily legible at 6am after all night in the dark. The IWC is just about visible at 4am but by 6 is not. This is after going into the dark at about 10pm.

I used my three year old sons night-time “Daddy I need a wee wee” to get an accurate idea of this. He’s pretty regular!

Time Keeping:

The proof of the pudding. . . . . . . . . . .

The PRS22 GMT is gaining about 0.25 seconds in 24 hours on the wrist.

The IWC is loosing 1 second in 24 hrs on the wrist.

Both are superb as far as I’m concerned. In fairness to the IWC it is past its service interval, but with time keeping like this I will hang on for a bit.

(Pictures of movements. )

This is a link to the IWC site with this info.(http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/19273/)

IWC MK XV: (These are my own hand measurements)

Material: Stainless Steel
    Diameter: 38mm, 40.5 including crown.
    Lug to Lug Height: 45mm
    Thickness: 8.5mm
    Anti-Magnetic: ??
    Water reisistance: 60m
    Weight: 116g (Bracelet fitted to 7.5 inch wrist).
    Features: Screw back, crown tube screwed to case, Unique serial number
    Dial:
    Colour Black or White (Mine is White).
    Luminous: Super luminova, (all green)
    Movement: ETA 2892-2A (unsure of grade)/ IWC 30110 or 37524
    Hands: Polished white metal hands, Blued steel second hand.
    Luminous: Super luminova
    Crystal: Domes sapphire with AR coating on underside.
    Strap: IWC 5 link SS strap with butterfly clasp (decorated).

PRS 22 (Speedbird GMT): Eddies specs lifted from http://www.timefactors.com

MODEL SPEEDBIRD GMT - PRS-22GMT
    CASE
    Material 316L stainless steel, brushed finish
    Diameter 39mm, 42.6mm including crown
    Lug to lug height 46mm
    Thickness 11.9mm
    Anti-magnetic 80000 A/m with anti-magnetic movement cover and movement retaining ring
    Water resistance 100 metres, also negative pressure tested to 0.4 ATM
    Weight 175 grammes including steel bracelet
    *(163g bracelet adjusted to 7.5 inches.)
    Features Screw back, crown tube screwed into case (not pressed), unique serial number
    DIAL
    Colour Semi-matte black soft iron anti-magnetic, white painted numbers and triangle
    Luminous Hour markers blue Super Luminova
    Day/Date Date at 3 o'clock (quick-set)
    HANDS
    Style Frosted silver minute & hour hands, orange GMT hand, all luminous filled. White seconds hand.
    Luminous Super Luminova C3
    CRYSTAL Domed sapphire with anti-reflective on underside
    MOVEMENT ETA2893-2, 21 jewel automatic elaborée version (Swiss)
    BATTERY N/A
    STRAP Stainless steel bracelet with custom fitted solid end links and centre clasp;screwed links for adjustment.

Value for money:

Well we all know where this paragraph is going so il just say it as it is.
    The IWC is insured for a replacement value, albeit for a current model MK XVI, for £4100. The SB PRS22 is £340 and a GMT version £415.

There is just no comparison between those prices and to be honest I just can’t see where the value of the 11 extra PRS22’s goes in the IWC.
    I know many will disagree with this, and perhaps strongly, but in honesty, I think you would find it difficult to argue that much difference. Both ate ETA based and both are stainless steel with sapphire crystal.

Of course many including myself get caught up in the importance of the brand we wear and IWC is a heavy weight with the heritage and time tested quality to demand that price, and probably in fairness any price they wanted. If someone was in a position to make a list of component prices, manufacturers wages, and man hours in that manufacture between these two watches we may reach a greater understanding of where the £3760 I going in the IWC. I of course would make no argument that its “not worth it” I’m a WIS after all, and I really like both watches so I think they are worth it, but in the cold light of day, looking at the facts as I can see them the PRS22 and PRS22GMT just offer such good value for money its almost impossible to ignore. And of course if comparing these watches as I am it’s probably in fairness the knock out blow.

In the Box:

PRS22 GMT,

Although the actual box that you receive from Timefactors is not branded, or grand, it is probably the most useful box I’ve ever had supplied with a watch. It’s a double travel case and allows the user to carry 2 watches inside safely. This is a really thoughtful and welcome addition to the package.

Yu also receive a business card size warranty which is hand written by the owner of timefactors. An A4 folded instruction manual is also supplied which gives really handy do’s and don’ts to help you get the most from your watch.

You also receive a speedbird nato, a polishing cloth (not in my picture) and your invoice. All delivered to your door in a matter of days after purchase.

IWC MK XV,

Having enjoyed all the comforts of a warm AD, and hopefully at least one cup of coffee you will leave the shop with an inner and outer box, tags, warranty booklet, a polishing cloth with its own cardboard envelope, Instructions (not in my picture) and your tool kit for adjusting the strap. All presumably nicely placed in a brown paper bag so no-one knows what your carrying home on the bus!

General Thoughts and Conclusions.

I’ve owned the PRS22GMT for just over a year and the IWC just over a month so its fair to say that my honeymoon period with one well and truly over and perhaps ongoing with the other. This aside, I don’t really think that either watch would stand out as being massively ahead or “better” in any way.
    The IWC is slightly dressier, but perfectly functional as a pilots watch as is the PRS22, while leaning more to the military working/tool side of the pilot watch genre.

I suppose in the end and trying to be completely impartial the watches are more or less level pegging. I prefer the case of the PRS22, but the bracelet of the IWC. Both keep time as well as each other, although the PRS22 is newer and was sent back to Germany for some TLC a year ago. The IWC is as it left the factory.

It’s a toss up for me between these two and I think in fairness with the price differential it probably shouldn’t be. It’s of course unlikely these two watches would ever be directly compared as purchase options. They sit in completely different market segments financially and are presented to possible buyers in totally different arenas of retail for the main part, but if your considering a new IWC purchase remember that for the price of the IWC BRACELET (albeit fitted to a MK XVI now) we discussed above you can actually buy the PRS22GMT, PRS22 Ivory dial and very nearly the Black dial version too, it has to be worth a second glance.

Many of the issues of case design and lightness are reduced with the new MK XVI, and of course a review of a MK XVI would be a far better tool for anyone considering buying a new watch today. I realise this, but haven’t quite managed to raise the funds to buy a new black dial IWC MK XVI UTS to write a direct comparison. If anyone would like to lend me one id be delighted to compare them for you. ;-)

Here is a link to some more MV XV pics.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iwc+mk ... 24&bih=545

Here is a link to some PRS22 Pics:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=PRS22& ... 24&bih=545

I’ve finished this in a bit of a hurry so I’ll be looking for mistakes over the next few days, please bare with me. If there is any info you can add or anything I’ve got blatantly wrong please don’t hesitate to let me know. PM may be best. ;-)
    Cheers for reading.

Jp.

Craftsman

Re: Comparison/ Review: IWC MK XV vs PRS22 Speedbird GMT

Thats a very fair and concise comparison. Its really incredible the price difference as you cannot see where it is. Both nice watches.

Master

Thanks for excellent review.I have had the Speedbird for a couple of months now and remain very impressed and can't see how i would pay approx x10 for the iwc .

Excellent review, i have a chronometer grade SBIII and am more and more dissuaded from parting with it, so in a way am glad i had no takers recently when i hesitantly put it up on SC.

I think for the price you really can't go wrong and the overall package is fantastic.

Regards

Ben

Great review Jon :D

Andy

A great and honestly written read, thank you for taking the time :)

Craftsman

Great comparison, really enjoyed reading it. Thanks!

Apprentice

Very nice comparison (and review)! Of course now I want that which I cannot get (PRS22 GMT) even more....THANKS. ;)

Nice comparison, thanks.

I like your side on shots.. as you say not many people see this angle in library or random internet pictures and it can sometimes give a lot of information about the way the watch will wear. I really like the longer lugs and domed sapphire on the IWC, but am going through a phase where I prefer really slim watches.

It is difficult to justify the price differential, but then again little about this hobby is rational.

Good read!

I love IWC, and sometimes simpler is better. So I do like the Mark series of watches. (I agree IWC bracelets really are great kit).

What is interesting (but not really that surprising) is the bang-for-the-buck you get from the PRS22. That's a lot of watch for the money.

Journeyman

Excellent review, I have the PRS 22 (LE) and considered the IWC MKX XV but considered it out of my price range. Eddie's offering or right up there in my book and I'm pleased I went with the PRS.

Great article, you put a lot of time and effort into that.
    It's IWC all the way for me, but I am slightly biased.

Both great timepieces though.

Craftsman

Comparison/ Review: IWC MK XV vs PRS22 Speedbird GMT

Great review and shows the great value of the Speedbird. Shame the bracelet didn't quite fit my wrist...

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    My only comment here that would satisfy my taste a little is that the IWC has a white date window with black writing. This works so well with the white dial. For me if the PRS had a black date window with white writing it would blend a little better with the rest of the dial. Of course if I was comparing the PRS22 with a black Dial MK 15 id be saying exactly the same about the IWC as they also have a white date but the PRS22 has a black on white. It’s not a fair comparison.

Jp.
    I agree on the date colour, but it also made me realize for the first time that the date is at 3, while I think all previous Speedbirds have had it at 6.

Master

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to put it together :)

Master

Lovely watches. Thanks :)

Blog Entries

Fantastic comparison review, well written and a very enjoyable read, thanks.

I'm a big IWC fan and have a couple in my current line up. But also had my eye on the Speedbird for a while to join the other of Eddies I own, so it was with interest that I read your comparison... Personally I don't like the inner ring and small GMT hand, (just my personal taste) and prefer the look of the Speedbird 11, especially the dial text :drunken: .

Your review, (and the pics in the 'Eddies' thread) have convinced me to seriously look out for a Speedbird.

Thanks again, this definately deserves to be moved to the reviews forum for future reference.

Rob

Craftsman

Wow, what a fantastic comparison and review!
    Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'm unlikely to be in the market for an IWC, but I could afford an SBIII. Not much between them, apart from the price.

:)

Master

Nice review. Had a white dial XV myself (one of the original 'Gadebusch' 50).

There's a piece here on the movement - I understand it's substantially refined from the standard ETA.

http://watchotaku.com/display/swr/IWC+30110

I agree about the polished surface around the sapphire crystal picking up superficial scratches - it definitely does. My XII has that, as well. But at the same time I think it's a nice touch.

I've never worn a Speedbird GMT though I did handle one briefly when I met another TZ-er a while back. Superb value for money without a doubt, but (as you'd surely be entitled to expect, given the asking price) the IWC is a class apart.

Master

Very nice and well-considered comparison, I have the standard PRS 22 (rather than the GMT version) and every time I pick it up I just consider it amazing value for a really solid watch.

Master

Awesome review and a thoroughly enjoyable read. This is what I like about TZ-UK.

Master

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive review.

Enjoyable read.

Cheers.

Having owned a SB3 and now a Mk XII, they are very different watches. The IWC is more refined whereas I would agree that the Speedbird feels like more of an everyday tool watch. I just couldn't get on with the sterile dial. If there was some text, I'd probably still own one.

Journeyman

Great !!! Thank you for taking time to write the review... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Craftsman

Great comparison. Interesting watch this Speedbird, looks really good value for the money.

Thanks for all the time that you have put in making this review.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover

There's a piece here on the movement - I understand it's substantially refined from the standard ETA.

I agree about the polished surface around the sapphire crystal picking up superficial scratches - it definitely does. My XII has that, as well. But at the same time I think it's a nice touch.

I've never worn a Speedbird GMT though I did handle one briefly when I met another TZ-er a while back. Superb value for money without a doubt, but (as you'd surely be entitled to expect, given the asking price) the IWC is a class apart.
    I thought I would have to end the review with a sentence something like that, but after the study and thought I just couldn't. In my humble and honest opinion it just isn't. And it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover

I thought I would have to end the review with a sentence something like that, but after the study and thought I just couldn't. In my humble and honest opinion it just isn't. And it should be.
    Indeed and having spent a little time with both - I would say elements of the IWC display a more expensive watch - however, I far far prefer the PRS GMT - it's a keeper.
    It's just a matter of time...

Interesting review. Thanks for taking the time. :thumbright:

Is the IWC really worth the extra cash. I know it's difficult to compare these beacause of the price difference. They both still have "only" ETA movements. Will the white dial XV be hard to find in the future? Is it grazy to pay 2000-4000 euro of watch that have "only" ETA movement when you can get more in house movement at the same price?

That white dial IWC XV looks awesome. I have to hope that there will be white dial XV on the sale corner in the future because funds aren't allowing to buy that right now.

Thanks for the great review.

Great review; many thanks for posting. I am clearly going to have to haunt SC till someone else gets bored withtheir SBIII. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to produce a great review. A really interesting comparison between watches with wildly differing price points.

As a newcomer to this watch collecting malarky I've not yet developed an affinity for any particular brand. Reading your comparisons it seems the two watches are close in components used, quality of finish etc. so for me it's a no brainer, looks like I'll be fighting with a few others when the next SB comes up on SC :lol:

Unless Eddies gonna produce another batch of GMT's???

Craftsman

Thanks fot that great review. Two watches I have owned myself before and there is nothing to be added.
    I wonder why I discovered your thread just today while it had been here for a while now...

Btw. I had my Mark XV tested and it's well waterproof for 100m...so recreational swimming should not be a problem.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Updated. Spelling.

Craftsman
    Nice review! Thanks.

Apprentice
    Nice review and comparison! Thank you..

Journeyman
    Excellent post - your time is appreciated. I am a new SBIII owner and could not be more pleased.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the review; I think the bracelet on the SB is great...