closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Antivirus recommendations

Antivirus recommendations

My antivirus software licence is due to expire within the week so I'm wondering what the IT crowd would suggest. I've currently got Kaspersky installed on a Vista machine; am I just as well getting the latest version of this or is there any other recommended programmes. What's the opinion on cloud-based applications?
    Would be handy if costs and / or links could be provided with suggestions.
    Thanks.

Grand Master

Re: Antivirus recommendations

windows live essentials seems good and it's free, also ive used avast in the past and that was also good.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

I use the free version of AVG which seems good enough. I have been meaning to check out Windows Live Essentials though...

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download

Windows Live Essentials has low CPU overheads and seems pretty good, it's also free. That plus some common sense with opening email attachments and care where you go surfing should be sufficient.

+1 Microsoft Security Essentials it's excellent :)

Rod

I'm very happy with Avast.

Quote Originally Posted by hotblack944
    I use the free version of AVG which seems good enough. I have been meaning to check out Windows Live Essentials though...

Been using this for years and never had a problem.

Craftsman

I've been using Bullguard for 6 years now. no problems either.

I've got the free version of Avira. Only negative point about is twice a week a pop up in your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by hotblack944
    I use the free version of AVG which seems good enough.

+ 1

microsoft security essentials, superantispyware, malwarebytes, all three are free, the first updates itself, the other two do not, run them each week then your bloatware will eventually disappear.

norton has always worked forme

Using avast free seems ok

Apprentice

Have been using Kaspersky over the years & it has not let me down
    Is light on CPU as well so performance does not takes hit

Craftsman

I use Microsoft Security Essentials with Malwarebytes and Spybot search and destroy.

Every 2 weeks I download the latest version of Microsoft safety Scanner and run the full scan, takes about 4 hours.
    Microsoft update Safety Scanner every 2 weeks, it doesn't install on your PC it just runs in memory and does an indepth scan.

Have been using them for the past year after AVG free failed to pick a trojan on my wife's laptop. Using the above programs, ensuring updates are downloaded and weekly scans, I haven't had any problems since.

Master

Using MSE on the laptop now, as the free version of AVG seemed to slow it right down.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was dubious about free versions as I can't see what's in it for the provider, but I'm tempted to give the MS version a go now.

Interesting comments on the performance of Kaspersky - I hadn't noticed any significant slowdown up until it started flashing reminders about the expiry, but now it takes an age to do most things.

Been using AVG Free for 10 years with no probs.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Been using BullGuard for the last 3 to 4 years with no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    +1 Microsoft Security Essentials it's excellent :)
    Yup, probably the best free option currently.

Avira has the best detection algorithm, especially heuristics (for detecting new threats by suspicious behaviour). MSE scores well here too, but it does not have the same proven track record, whereas Avira has been consistently excellent for years.

After that, AVG, which is still pretty good, but is also best in terms of CPU and RAM usage, as well as running on the most platforms (although for most people reading this they'll all work). Also the free version doesn't have ads or nagware like Avira.

Another thing worth looking at is Trusteer Rapport, which is a fairly simple but effective anti-phishing system to protect your passwords. Some banks (I get it from RBS) give it away free to their online banking customers, not sure if there is actually a personal version or any free equivalent. Their site seems to be targeted entirely at enterprise customers.

Finally, if your the sort of person that routinely clicks on everything then you should check for rootkits occasionally. Most AV software these days will check for rootkits as part of a full scan, but won't be as thorough as a purpose-built scanner like Rootkit Revealer. I haven't checked recently to see if RR is still the gold standard though.

AVG Anti virus free addition, highly recommended.

Craftsman

Tried loads over the years and can't look past Norton tbh. Time it right and its easy to find big discounts for consistently the best product out there i.e. before the next release.

Go research on the internet tbh. I tried MSE but (after a good launch) reviews of it headed south.

How much do you value your data security?

Using free Avast at home and I am more pleased than with Avira.

At work I have paid Eset, so far so good...

I would go with Kaspersky. 3-PC copy of Internet Security for £20.10 at Amazon.

On installation have 1 month to register so 13 months for this price. If your Vista Kaspersky licence soon to expire (or you have other PCs) price per PC is not expensive.

Not instrusive or resource hungry. Would avoid Norton and McAfee.

Quote Originally Posted by Redd
    Tried loads over the years and can't look past Norton tbh. Time it right and its easy to find big discounts for consistently the best product out there i.e. before the next release.

Go research on the internet tbh. I tried MSE but (after a good launch) reviews of it headed south.

How much do you value your data security?

If you value it at all, stay away from Norton! Not Peter of course: he's a god. Unfortunately he had to sell his company to Symantec, who turned his name into a joke.

To be fair, Norton isn't the least secure, but it certainly isn't the best either and it has by far the worst performance. It's also a massive pain to uninstall and is responsible for a significant number of problems (causing other applications to crash, run too slow, etc.)

It's also top of the virus writer's test list, which tends to make it very bad for zero day threats.

If your a Barclays bank online customer you can get Kaspersky free for 12 months, log in to Barclays online banking to activate it and download for free, I have found it to be excellent

Previously I had Avg with no complaints

Interesting to read so many recommendations for windows live essentials. Currently running McAfee but I'm tempted to switch when the license runs out.

Antivirus recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Plake
    Interesting to read so many recommendations for windows live essentials. Currently running McAfee but I'm tempted to switch when the license runs out.
    That's exactly what I did. There was a noticeable improvement in the speed of the PC, so I assume McAfee has quite high CPU overheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    Using MSE on the laptop now, as the free version of AVG seemed to slow it right down.
    I notice the new AVG version was slowing my XP PC down too :? Changed to MSE and it certainly made a difference.

Rod

Thought I'd ditch McAfee and switch to MSE plus Spybot SD yesterday anyway - wow :shock:

Outlook no longer stops responding every time I move an email. Photobucket no longer hangs with multiple uploads.

Brilliant :D

Personally I use Sophos but I get a free copy through work (and my guys helped develop it :D ). As has been said, stay away from Norton (Symantec ruined it).

Cheers,

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

AVG 2012 here, no problems been using it for a few years and all is OK.

Can't remember the last time I had a virus but still use Clam anti virus on ubuntu and clamwin on windows, the only anti virus I've come across that doesn't slow down windows. http://www.clamwin.com/

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by avantgardaclue
    Can't remember the last time I had a virus but still use Clam anti virus on ubuntu and clamwin on windows, the only anti virus I've come across that doesn't slow down windows. http://www.clamwin.com/
    "Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware."

That'll be why then.

Master

Nod 32 works for me and the pcs at work

I use AVG as suggested by others, its free and does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Personally I use Sophos but I get a free copy through work (and my guys helped develop it :D ). As has been said, stay away from Norton (Symantec ruined it).

Cheers,
    Another vote here for Sophos - an indication of how effective it is, is that if you hear of a virus outbreak chances are the BBC go to Sophos for accurate comment and information. I've used it on servers running Windows, NetWare and Linux and desktops on all OSes. It's highly effective.

And Mark, if your guys assisted in its development, "Thank you" I've been using it for years and years.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations