closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Casio

Journeyman

Which Casio

Hmm, been looking for a nice tech watch that also shows the tide & moon change. The only make I can see that has it all is a Casio but not too sure which one to go for.
    PRW-1500 or 2500 seem to look pretty smart & some nice features.
    Can anyone give me some details on the differences between these 2 & how accurate the the tide charts are?
    Also any other watches you may think I should have a look at.

Thanks

Re: Which Casio

Hi there. You could try looking at the G-Shocks: GLX-5600 , G-7900 , GW-7900 , GF-8250 , GWF-1000 , GLX-6900

Journeyman

Hey, thanks for your input. Didnt know there was so many different models :shock:
    Whats the main differences between G's & Protreks?

Im surprised I havnt seen much more input to this thread as I've seen allot on here who love thier Casio's :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon69
    Hey, thanks for your input. Didnt know there was so many different models :shock:
    Whats the main differences between G's & Protreks?

Im surprised I havnt seen much more input to this thread as I've seen allot on here who love thier Casio's :wink:
    Moon and tide aren't exactly sought after functions- even if a watch has it, few will be able to comment on it. For casio, look at the G-Lide range (usually begin with "GLX"). Pro-trek, as the name suggests are built for hikers so they have things like compasses and barometers and they're dinner-plate size. A number of Suunto's have tide thingies as well.

Journeyman

I've had a look at the G-lide & number of them others & Im not too keen on their looks. I think thats the main reason why I like the protreks. I do like the Frogman (GWF-1000) though, looks pretty sweet but sadly has a too higher price tag with it for me :?

Yeah its a shame, I didnt think many here was too interested in the tide charts :| But I still would like to know if there are any that you could input long & latt to get a good reading rather than per city?

Which suunto can show tides?

Also, why is the GWF-1000 so damn expensive?? :shock:

Which suunto can show tides btw?
    My mistake, they don't- in fact the Suunto website specifically says they don't, which is odd as I thought a friend of mine had one. I think I confused it with this thing, a Nixon Outsider which does have a tide function and to my eyes looks Suuntoesque:

more here: http://www.watchismo.com/nixon-outsider ... watch.aspx

Out of interest what would you use it for? sailing? surfing?

Journeyman

Ah, I thought I hadnt seen one with it on. Would be a nice addon though :P
    Yeah I've seen that Nixon about but it does look very, errr plain.

Well I do sea fishing, beach & boat and would come in handy for the weekends we do it.

Regarding that Frogman, just thought I wouldnt be able to wear it anyway as I see its designed for left wrists :roll:

Journeyman

Ok, so looked at most of all the casio's and I think its between one of these ones

Protrek:
    PRW-2000
    PRW-2500

G-Shock:
    GW-9200 Risemen
    GW-9300 Mudman

GWF-1000 Frogman - Would be in the list if it wasnt too expensive & designed for the left wrist

So which one of these would you go for :?:

______

​Jim.

Journeyman

hehe thanks, yeah I saw that but dont really like the looks of any of them. Plus looking in to tide charts on watches, I think all of them go via major cities i.e London. So I cant really see the point of them, as where is the nearest coast to London????

The things I've now started to look for are atomic & solar powered plust the usual ABC features. Oh and also looks :)

Master

I like mine : GW7900MS

tide function, solar, radio signal

and good price

Have the PRW2000, highly recommended. Unexpectedly comfy (very thin, which for me it's quite important, I rather dislike thick watches), very accurate (synchronizes each night even if not directly at the window) and quite a looker by itself.

Which Casio

Quote Originally Posted by rogerf
    Hi there. You could try looking at the G-Shocks: GLX-5600 , G-7900 , GW-7900 , GF-8250 , GWF-1000 , GLX-6900
    I bought my 11 year old son a red GLX5600 at the weekend - don't really understand the tide graph at all but it certainly looks very cool and chunky on him. His mates think it's great, and I have to admit the display and general display layout is very crisp - I've got a few G shocks but he can't carry off a 6900 yet!

Blog Entries

via major cities i.e London. So I cant really see the point of them, as where is the nearest coast to London????
    The nearest coast to London is in London: The Thames is tidal in London. :-)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    via major cities i.e London. So I cant really see the point of them, as where is the nearest coast to London????
    lol, just what ya need when your going there then :?

Blog Entries

Depends where you park your car in certain places or if you're a professional mudlark. ;-)

G-9100 gulfman also has these features. Wears smallish for a g and is super cheap for a 'master of g'.

Journeyman

Thought it had to be a GW to have atomic?

Correct - I didn't realise you're looking for atomic reception too. There is a GW-9100 Gulfman. Presumably it too has tide and moon phase functions. Gulfman is marketed as the 'marine' focussed Master of G.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    Correct - I didn't realise you're looking for atomic reception too. There is a GW-9100 Gulfman. Presumably it too has tide and moon phase functions. Gulfman is marketed as the 'marine' focussed Master of G.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah have decided this would be a nice feature to have. That one actually looks like a nice watch. Looks like the tide/moon feature on the GW gets replaced with the atomic.

I've looked at some vids and have noticed that G have made some with wings that makes it supposably sit on your wrist better. How good is it & what watches have them?

On hearing about some G's can create a shadow at some angles in the screen i.e 9200. Has anyone else seen this & what other watches get effected with this?

Also are G-Shocks all rust resistant? Would this stop them oxidising via salt?

Journeyman

Depends where you park your car in certain places or if you're a professional mudlark. ;-)
    Man, thats easily their best selling point feature then :lol:

Journeyman

Right, after more research & vids. Now the GW-9300 Mudman is def in the running list and above the Riseman :lol: