closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on this Seiko 6139 - franken?

Thoughts on this Seiko 6139 - franken?

Quite keen on the 6139 since discovering them a few days ago!! Been looking around and prices seem to vary, possibly on the up.

Anyway, spotted this one on ebay, but the more i look at it, I wonder if I should avoid it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220954810567? ... 97.c0.m619

Looks to have an aftermarket crown, and sub dial pointer should be red i think. Possible the dial is non-original or just a late one. Shame i'm on my mobile as the pictures aren't totally clear. I've contacted the seller but heard nothing back yet.

Bezel is clearly original as it's well worn, but not sure on the rest!!

Any thoughts?

Re: Thoughts on this Seiko 6139 - franken?

Quote Originally Posted by amh82
    Quite keen on the 6139 since discovering them a few days ago!! Been looking around and prices seem to vary, possibly on the up.

Anyway, spotted this one on ebay, but the more i look at it, I wonder if I should avoid it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220954810567? ... 97.c0.m619

Looks to have an aftermarket crown, and sub dial pointer should be red i think. Possible the dial is non-original or just a late one. Shame i'm on my mobile as the pictures aren't totally clear. I've contacted the seller but heard nothing back yet.

Bezel is clearly original as it's well worn, but not sure on the rest!!

Any thoughts?
    Hi
    You are right to be a little doubtful about that one, hour and minutes hands are wrong, minute register hand is wrong, crown is also wrong, dial is probably original.
    there are many 6139's like this on ebay with a multitude of either wrong or aftermarket parts, most of the asian sellers will tell you what parts have been changed but not all, there are also a couple of UK sellers who make a point of being vague about what aftermarket are fitted, and that's being polite, you can easily spot the UK sellers of the junky ones by their use of the words "Huge" and "excellent" in their auction titles, it's also worth checking the feedback of individuals from the uk who are selling vintage seiko chronos for feedback from the two main UK sellers of tat as sometimes these people are selling their watches as all originals because of what they have read or been lead to believe by buying from those two jokers, there is at the moment a 6138-0030 being sold on the bay which if you check the questions asked bit you will see someone has asked about aftermarket parts and has been told it's all original, this is cobblers, I can't say whether they are really aware it's not original or they are just selling it on using the same misleading description unaware it's a dogs dinner. either way be aware
    wookie

There's something odd about the inner bezel as well, and the bracelet is just plain wrong. He does mention the movement hasn't been serviced though, so it's not all bad news. Oh, sorry, yes it is :)

The Seiko forum often have them for around this price, maybe a little more, in much better original condition.

Craftsman

Save your money!, there is always another one to be had, this one looks like a lemon :mrgreen:

arrgh...that's scary!

Cheers for the advice guys, glad i was doubtful now!!

Must admit i've not really looked over on the Seiko forums, i'll take a look :)

There's very little that's "right" about that, so I'd give it a (very) wide berth.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.