closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Prospex MarineMaster quartz - educate me?

Seiko Prospex MarineMaster quartz - educate me?

Seiko Prospex MarineMaster quartz - educate me?
    I have seen this watch on a few diver watch forums and quite like the look of it.
    My main concern is that they seem quite expensive for a quartz. What am I missing?
    This model:

http://www.creationwatches.com/products ... -1741.html

Craftsman

Re: Seiko Prospex MarineMaster quartz - educate me?

Are you talking about the SBDD001?

No, the Seiko Prospex MarineMaster Professional 300M Quartz SBBN015, also called the Tuna Can

Tunas are always a little bit more expensive than you would like. Why? Because itīs a Tuna :)

There are also automatic Tunas, but they cost even more. You canīt make mistake with either of them.

I think I'd go for an auto version myself, I know the quartz movements are fine- I would struggle to pay that much for a quartz watch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ODP
    My main concern is that they seem quite expensive for a quartz. What am I missing?
    It is a classic professional diver. 300m, great lume, and very robust. Thats why. If you think it's too expensive, then don't buy it.

The problem for me is that the 300M Tuna was a $450-500 watch when labeled SBBN007. Seiko put nicer shroud screws on it, a signed crown, and Voila! its now the SBBN015 and it costs over twice as much. It is a great tool watch, fantastic lume, tough as nails, and the domed crystal is very easy to see underwater. Its still a good value considering how well it does its job, but it grates that Seiko has upped the cost in the manner they did. These same arguements apply to the more expensive 1,000M titanium monocoque cased quartz Tuna.

The 7C46 movement in these was purpose-built for diver's watches, with metal gears, rate adjusters, high-torque motor. Not used in anything these days apart from the the Tunas. It's a proper professional dive watch with a good pedigree and one of the most robust watches on the market. I don't care much for the silly prices they sell for in their latest incarnations but plenty of second hand ones around. Personally I prefer the titanium/ceramic 'Darth Tuna' because of the monocoque case, no separate case back seal to perish, but on the other hand the stainless steel version take impacts more kindly than the ceramic shroud of the Darth. Plenty of refs out there out there if you search for 7C46, sbbn007, sbbn015, sbbn017, sbbn011, sbbn013 etc.
    Steve

Super accurate; I have two quartz tunas and since the clocks last changed (nearly four months?) my silver tuna is absolutely spot on to the second and my golden tuna has lost nearly three seconds.

Feelin' the Seiko lurve :)

Mark