closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Refinishing pads

Master

Refinishing pads

There are a few of these on eBay claiming to be a 'proprietary material', but they look like a different coloured brillo pad (dark red vs. green).

Anyone any experience with them? Any better than a brillo pad?

My old Longines needs a minor rub down...

Re: Refinishing pads

I bought some of these a while ago which really did the trick. Never tried a brillo pad for comparison but similar I would imagine

http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/Watch-T ... ISHING-PAD

Craftsman

Hi, the dark red material is Scotchbrite, and works very well for refinishing cases and bracelets.
    I would advise that you practice on a scrap case, if possible, as this will allow you to gauge the
    correct pressure to achieve different effects.

The Green Brillo type material I also use, as this is slightly finer, and produces a finer effect, I
    use this after the Scotchbrite, to 'tone down' the brushing.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

P.S. don't pay ebay prices for this Scotchbrite, visit a local machine shop or suppliers, and blag
    a bigger piece for next to nothing!!

Master

So, essentially, they're the same thing made by the same company. :D

Thanks - looks like I'll simply grab the green version from the kitchen then...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mab

I used a pad straight from the kitchen with good results. Takes a while to get the correct pressure though and under a harsh spotlighting you can see the imperfections compared to the machine brush finish.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2
    Quote Originally Posted by mab

I used a pad straight from the kitchen with good results. Takes a while to get the correct pressure though and under a harsh spotlighting you can see the imperfections compared to the machine brush finish.
    I've done quite afew case refurbs and always find that a small dab of tcut works well to get rid of those small imperfections ( scratches ).

Craftsman

I agree what others have said, they work well for brushing etc. regarding makes of pad, the different grades that you get in black and decker mouse sanders are very close those i bought originally from "boston watch exchange"
    There are two types the red and a grey, for SS and titanium, the latter being a slightly harder material.