closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Am I taking this watch lark a bit too far?

Craftsman

Am I taking this watch lark a bit too far?

A question for you all - is this normal?

I'm going on holiday in ten days and rather than worry if everything is packed, the passports up to date, will the hotel be as good as we think, are we taking enough money, will the kids be OK on a nine hour flight, will the weather disrupt our travel plans; the only thing on my mind is what watch do I take, do I take my dress watch for evening wear, shall I go nato or rubber for my diver (day watch) and, even worse, I'm entertaining the thought of just buying a new watch for my holiday.

I just want reassuring.

Is this normal?

Re: Am I taking this watch lark a bit too far?

No it's not normal - you'll need far more than a dress watch and a diver for a holiday :wink:

Not to mention a range of straps for every occasion.

Blog Entries

Absolutely normal :) .
    The main thing to do before going on holiday, is making a fuss about what watch(es) to wear and take with you.
    Who cares about forgetting a kid or two? as long as you have the right watch with you............ :D

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

You own more than one watch and you are here, it's waaaaaay too late to be asking questions like this!
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master

On holiday who cares what time it is, go naked and when you arrive and realize how vunerable you feel use it as an excuse to procure a new one (tax free of course)
    RIAC

Stop worrying, just stay home 8)

Master

When I travel for work I take one 'decent' watch for the office/days/evenings and a G-shock for the pool / going to unsavoury areas / everything else.

When I travel for holidays I follow the same principle.

Easy.

When I am travelling for work/holiday I always take 3 watches.

1 for the pool/unsavoury locations
    2 for daytime evening alternate according to what I am wearing.

Cheers

You need more options
    Gray

Craftsman

I'm getting into Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen territory here but I'm thinkink my white dial Victorinox Ambassador xl will complement my tan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pudspud2005
    I'm getting into Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen territory here but I'm thinkink my white dial Victorinox Ambassador xl will complement my tan.
    :lol: :lol:

Thanks for letting us know :D

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    No it's not normal - you'll need far more than a dress watch and a diver for a holiday :wink:
    +1 Completly normal behaviour, in fact i'm not sure you have thought of all the complications involved. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Pudspud2005
    You were doing ok, but you just corssed the line
    Gray

Firstly, which watch to take on holiday is the most important decision you're going to make after you've decided where you're going.

On a more serious note, I took two watches on holiday many years ago and I made the mistake of putting one of them in my suitcase on the way back. The watch was stolen and, much to my dismay, it turned out I wasn't insured as it wasn't "on my person". You need to be aware of the stipulations of your insurance policy before taking more than one valuable watch on holiday.

I now only ever take one watch on holiday.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by robcat
    Firstly, which watch to take on holiday is the most important decision you're going to make after you've decided where you're going.

On a more serious note, I took two watches on holiday many years ago and I made the mistake of putting one of them in my suitcase on the way back. The watch was stolen and, much to my dismay, it turned out I wasn't insured as it wasn't "on my person". You need to be aware of the stipulations of your insurance policy before taking more than one valuable watch on holiday.

I now only ever take one watch on holiday.
    Never thought about that. I might just stick with the Seiko diver.

My rule of thumb is one watch for every different type of footwear you take, as i usually match my watch to my shoes so this makes perfect sense to me. G-Shock with the flip flops, Seiko with the trainers, speedy for the smart casual look & UG or precision for posh eating.
    Or you could just take the sub/PO which will do everything.

Craftsman

Completly normal , I always use a holiday as an excuse to buy another watch just for travel you understand :D

Screw the vacation - just think about how many watches you could have bought with that cash... :twisted:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I think you're normal, plus I feel your pain.
    If its any consolation, I'm off to London for 10 days tomorrow.
    Weekends = highdays and holidays, weekdays = training course for work.

Which bloody watch then?
    My options are pam 112 which i :drunken: , or prs-50b which i just bought as a work watch.

Minuses for pam = don't want to clang it while arsing about with suitcases on public transport, don't want to murder it if I FINALLY get to go sledging, it's high maintenance in that I have a 3 day strap habit, don't want to leave it in a hotel room as I'm exiting with a hangover, don't want to get axe murdered for it in south London.

Minuses for 50, it's not my pam.

Here's wishing you great relief that there's at least one idiot as barking as you. :D

(ps, I still don't know which one to take)
    (I've been musing this for over 48 hours)

Craftsman

Personally if I am going somewhere hot then I want a "swimmable" watch. This would mean it needs a pool/sea friendly strap too. So no leather, nothing too fragile / old. Finding a multi- purpose watch that will do all these things is part of the fun no?

G-shock or diver for the daytime, something dressy for the evening.

Since I also don't like the idea of taking something expensive like the PO and having it around the place in the daytime to avoid getting knocked about, my preferred route these days is to take a cheap Chinese dressy watch for the evening. I have a Jaragar (£0.99) for this purpose and might buy a Parnis or suchlike as another option.

I have to say though, if I had a black monster instead of orange, I would just take that for all situations.

I took a pam 250 and a gshock to Argentina. I strapped the G shock onto my kids pram so my ever loving fiancée could tell the time (and the temperature read out was useful/interesting) and wore the 250 till it got stolen at which point I switched to the G Shock. Insurance covered the pam new for old and now I have a brand new pam 352. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    I think you're normal, plus I feel your pain.
    If its any consolation, I'm off to London for 10 days tomorrow.
    Weekends = highdays and holidays, weekdays = training course for work.

Which bloody watch then?
    My options are pam 112 which i :drunken: , or prs-50b which i just bought as a work watch.

Minuses for pam = don't want to clang it while arsing about with suitcases on public transport, don't want to murder it if I FINALLY get to go sledging, it's high maintenance in that I have a 3 day strap habit, don't want to leave it in a hotel room as I'm exiting with a hangover, don't want to get axe murdered for it in south London.

Minuses for 50, it's not my pam.

Here's wishing you great relief that there's at least one idiot as barking as you. :D

(ps, I still don't know which one to take)
    (I've been musing this for over 48 hours)
    So you'll be taking Pam with you then, but what will she wear ;-)
    Gray

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie
    My rule of thumb is one watch for every different type of footwear you take, as i usually match my watch to my shoes so this makes perfect sense to me. G-Shock with the flip flops, Seiko with the trainers, speedy for the smart casual look & UG or precision for posh eating.
    Or you could just take the sub/PO which will do everything.
    Really haven't thought this through, have you ? If you are wearing blue swim shorts and white flip flops (with a white t-shirt) a black G just doesn't cut it ! A nice blue bezel or dialed Diver is more in tune, no ?

I avoid problems by taking black shorts, vests & t-shirts as well as flip-flops thus allowing my PVD Glycine KMU 48 on black rubber and my Railmaster to fit. I have a fantastic pair of linen Nicole Fahri casual trousers (in case I get invited anywhere posh) too. If I am wearing non black flips then I tend to wear black shirt or shorts.

The fact that I'm basing my wardrobe on watches also means I'm being WIS and my mrs can't call me Gok .....although what she calls me sounds a lot like it :shock: :o

Grand Master

Yep, the OP's got it bad :)

My rule is simple: Rolex Explorer 1 for somewhere civilised. Seiko 5 for everywhere else. Both black dial steel watches, look smart with any attire. Explorer 1 is easy to refinish if it picks up scratches too.

Paul

GMTII all the watch ull ever need to go on holiday with, dual time, waterproof, looks good with speedos or an Armani suit...

If you forget your watches, you'll have a "goog" reason to buy some on the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by MORRI
    Personally if I am going somewhere hot then I want a "swimmable" watch. This would mean it needs a pool/sea friendly strap too. So no leather, nothing too fragile / old. Finding a multi- purpose watch that will do all these things is part of the fun no?
    This always tends to swing it for me as inevitably I will swim on holiday at some point. As you say, this excludes any conventional leather strap or non-WR piece. I also think that sporty watches dress up better than dressy watches dress down - so the former tend to be better all-rounders. Similarly you don''t want anything too fragile for fear or damaging it.

This means I normally have always taken my Sub Date on holiday. This year though I may be tempted to take my PAM 312 - I would take a couple of straps to allow for swimming (and for a bit of a change), the only other issue is that since the watch sits very high, I'm going to have to be careful not to knock it. (Other candidate is my Fifty Fathoms as the strap is water resistant - wouldn't want to clang that on anything though!).

I understand your dilema and would fall back to one important point ,

TAKE 1 WATCH AND MAKE IT COVER ALL THE BASES !

My reasoning , if the watch is on your wrist then you will always know where it is. I am very consevative when it comes to security and find its always better to err on the side of caution when going on holidays and securing your watches. The only way i could take more than one watch on holidays would be if my hotel room had a safe where you can create your own combination number.
    I hope you take my advice.

Have a great holiday - Darren

Absolutely normal :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Cal.11/12

There really isn't an need to shout squire. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Cal.11/12

My reasoning , if the watch is on your wrist then you will always know where it is. I am very consevative when it comes to security and find its always better to err on the side of caution when going on holidays and securing your watches. The only way i could take more than one watch on holidays would be if my hotel room had a safe where you can create your own combination number.
    I hope you take my advice.

Have a great holiday - Darren
    If one watch could cover all bases we'd not be here :P ...

Forget to take one is the best option and purchase one while on holiday never miss an opportunity to get another watch may be two one for evening of course!

My SKX007 is my holiday and weekend away watch. On a rubber or non-stretchy NATO as I will undoubtedly wear it in the shower, pool or sea while I am away. I can put it on in the morning and forget about it, it can easily handle anything I am likely to get up to. The lume lasts all night so that caters for places that don't have decent clocks in the bedroom.

I also take whatever Casio is currently in my watch box as a back-up and a time source. That tends to kick around in a pocket in my bag.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Craftsman

Sounds like you need an all rounder.