closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Miyota

Miyota

Anybody out there, that has insight into the Miyota 9015 movement?
    It is obviously being compared to ETA2824, but how does it stack up?

Craftsman

Re: Miyota

Thanks. Obviously, it seems as if Citizen are serious about it this time. And about bloody time ETA got some competition.
    :)

However, I was more interested interested in whether someone actually has taken one apart and made a direct comparison to a 2824.
    That would be very interesting.

I would certainly have no problem with a Miyota equipped watch.

Grand Master

I worked on a Citizen mechanical recently; watch was approx 15yrs old and I ended up getting a new movement (couldn`t get individual parts) at a cost of £36 inc postage! This was a 8203A movement sourced from http://www.creativewatch.co.uk, after Cousins claimed it was NLA/obsolete.

I digress, the point I`m making is what a good quality movement the Citizen looks to be. This one had only broken because it received a very hard knock which resulted in a broken jewel. The balance still looked OK.

I`ve got a new-found respect for Citizen mechanicals.

Paul

It also seems that Eddie is moving (no pun intended) in the same direction with the PRS-18.
    Perhaps someone should nudge Steinhart and the likes in the same direction.... :?:

I was just reading this interesting thread on WUS ...

Miyota 9015 or ETA 2824-2
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/miyota ... 60305.html

With both of these movements if the worse comes to the worse just buy a new one and get somebody to replace it.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Right Behind You Laughing ! A proud Yorkshire man too :)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    I rolled the dice on a cheap breitling off ebay a few months back...

I was 95% sure it was a dud / fake but had to bid just incase , As
    i have dropped on in the past with an omega....

Anway i took the back off and it had a miyota movement in it :shock:

And i got my money back through Paypal too :D

I've got a watch with a Miyota 9015 movement in it and the only thing I've got against it is the single direction auto winding. One flick of the wrist sends the weight spinning round wailing like a banshee (does anybody else's do this?). That is a little disconcerting. Apart from that it does everything I want: hacking, hand winding, keeps good time.

I've an Invicta with a miyota movement. It's quieter than my sub and keeps time just as well!!!
    But hey I don't know about watches
    Just wear what I like and buy what takes my fancy!!

Just watched it, yeah only spins the one way, will fly round several times.

I've got a 9015 in a Benarus remora. It's accurate, winds about as smoothly as a base 2824, maybe s littsmoother. Crown stem is a little wobbly but all my watches are. Seconds hand is smooth as you would expect. So in general a fine substitute for a base 2824. It would be nice if miyota offered levels of decoration and adjustment, like eta. It would also be nice if it had micro-adjustment on the regulator.

The unidirectional winding is a non-issue imo. Power reserve is a bit poor compared to a 6r15, but it is no problem to get it fully wound in normal usage.

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner

The unidirectional winding is a non-issue imo. Power reserve is a bit poor compared to a 6r15, but it is no problem to get it fully wound in normal usage.
    Studies by JLC have shown that there is very little advantage in having the rotor wind in both directions. A fact which allows for the reversing gears to be eliminated.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush
    I've got a watch with a Miyota 9015 movement in it and the only thing I've got against it is the single direction auto winding. One flick of the wrist sends the weight spinning round wailing like a banshee (does anybody else's do this?). That is a little disconcerting. Apart from that it does everything I want: hacking, hand winding, keeps good time.
    Citizen's take on this is that it is better than ETA's dual direction winding. The argument goes something like this:
    Usually, hand movements are quite small, so you need something that works with this. Dual direction winding systems are need quite a big 'push' to get started, so during normal operation they are not as effective. Single direction systems, however, use the effect of a pendulum: easy to swing in one direction, but when it swings back, it provides enough force on the movement to wind it.

It makes perfect sense to me and is a typical Japanese engineering take on things.
    But I agree. I have a Laco Flieger with a Miyota 8215 and it seems just ... wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDY
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    I rolled the dice on a cheap breitling off ebay a few months back...

I was 95% sure it was a dud / fake but had to bid just incase , As
    i have dropped on in the past with an omega....

Anway i took the back off and it had a miyota movement in it :shock:

And i got my money back through Paypal too :D
    So you came out smelling like roses then! :mrgreen:

Your money back AND a quality movement! :mrgreen:

Miyotas are really quite impressive movements, they are nearly bulletproof. The 8215 has proved itself to be a fantastic workhorse and the 9015 might be the boutique watch worlds guardian angel should ETA truly stop supplying movements outside of SWATCH.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I would trust that Miyota 9015 movement just as much as I trust an ETA 2824.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helledi
    It also seems that Eddie is moving (no pun intended) in the same direction with the PRS-18.
    Perhaps someone should nudge Steinhart and the likes in the same direction.... :?:
    I think Steinhart are strongly committed to Swiss only, so I guess they are more likely to source from Sellita if ETAs become hard to come by.

But for anyone who doesn't want or need "Swiss Made" then the 9015 is a fine choice imo.

The new Smiths Everest is a 9015 isn't it?

I've got one of these and it's excellent.

I've got a Lum-Tec with the miyota movement on order. Can't wait for it to arrive in April to see what its like. The comments on here are certainly encouraging though!

I take back what I said about the crown on my Remora. I'm wearing it today and it actually is very solid. Is that a movement quality or watch quality though?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    I would trust that Miyota 9015 movement just as much as I trust an ETA 2824.
    No reason why not to (Citizen is the world's biggest movement manufacturer I think?). It might not be a stretch to suggest that this Miyota movement is actually designed to replace both the 2824 and 2892. It's thin, within 0.3mm of the 2892, has the same stem height as the 2892 (1.53mm, with an additional dial ring to bump it up to 2824 thickness), and according to some watchmaking types on other fora, is somewhere between the two in terms of ease of timing.

Raw performance, though, of the sum of the parts - not sure. The 2892 is pretty tough to beat in this respect.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I'm not watch bof but, I've an Invicta with miyota movement it's not missed a heart beat in 12 years and has never been serviced let alone opened.
    I rate it. :bounce:

Blog Entries

Fact is that those Miyota powered watches, even the ones with the new(ish) 9015 movement are all very affordable.
    Just wear them for ten years without a service and see what happens. Most will run just fine, and can even be serviced for not to much after that period. A win win situation I guess :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I also have come across a number of miyota auto movements which have very little resistance on the rotor and as such the slightest movement sends it spinning for eternity. Otherwise they really are spectacular!