closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Master

Re: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    I realise that because I was smoking mini-cigars (Cafe Creme Blue) making the sudden switch might have been a bit easier for me that someone on 20-30 cigs a day, but two cig smoking friends have now also switched and are finding it very easy.
    It's funny you should say that; the smell of the things reminds me of Cafe Cremes (not that I've ever actually smoked them!).

I had a 'vap' with a coffee this morning, and it was pretty good. I felt the need for a 'real' one shortly after though, but I think that there are two reasons for that; firstly, it's a change. More like changing brands than changing to a substitute. Secondly, I think I'd be better off with the stronger refills.

I've had a drink or two this evening, and it's still holding it's own. I thought this would be a good substitute for most of the day's cigarettes, but it's looking like it could be a complete substitute

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    I realise that because I was smoking mini-cigars (Cafe Creme Blue) making the sudden switch might have been a bit easier for me that someone on 20-30 cigs a day, but two cig smoking friends have now also switched and are finding it very easy.
    It's funny you should say that; the smell of the things reminds me of Cafe Cremes (not that I've ever actually smoked them!).

I had a 'vap' with a coffee this morning, and it was pretty good. I felt the need for a 'real' one shortly after though, but I think that there are two reasons for that; firstly, it's a change. More like changing brands than changing to a substitute. Secondly, I think I'd be better off with the stronger refills.

I've had a drink or two this evening, and it's still holding it's own. I thought this would be a good substitute for most of the day's cigarettes, but it's looking like it could be a complete substitute
    I I am on the 2.4mg capsules, which are the strong ones, as being used to cigars the medium was too weak at the moment. I find these ones just about perfect. Plenty of throat hit, vapour and taste.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Grand Master

well i've been mostly vaping today, just 2 proper fags all today. and i'm getting used to it...it does tend to leave a nicotine taste in the mouth for me, but i always inhaled smoke into my mouth and then into the lungs, i was/am never a "breathe thorough the fag" smoker, despite being a 20 a day man, either taylor made or quite often, hand rolled.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket-roy
    Okay chaps, I thought I would give this go and I have ordered the Halo starter kit.

Still a little skeptical as I have stuck to a similar brand of cigarettes for years!

What will this e-cigarette taste like? Will I still have the urge to smoke my old cigarettes?

It has a hint of vanilla in the taste which is not at all unpleasant.

Yes, you will probably have an urge for your old cigarettes, but much less often. I have yet to make the jump to e-cigs only but I am down to two or three real cigs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    Secondly, I think I'd be better off with the stronger refills.
    If you stay with Halo, you could try the 2.4% double coil atomizers.

Or have a look at this site and check out the video on the home page of Jason Cropper explaining his new Dual Coil Tank system:

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/

Master

Good to see pics of a proper personal vaporiser on here - the Lavatube. I've got 3 of those now, to go with my 2 Provaris. The Lavatube is, IMHO, the "factory" vaping product of the year, and comes within a gnats of the Provari's performance, at 20% of the price. The eGo-T is a pretty good starter kit too, for someone who wants a device that isn't too big.

I mostly use CE2 clearomisers, in my own home-made tanks. Rebuildable atomisers are all the rage currently, with my RTA and RDA designs doing quite well on the UK forums, and demand is increasing worldwide, from Germany in particular for some reason. Did quite well in the "mod of the year" and "modder of the year" polls on UKV - not bad, seeing as how I've only been vaping for 9 months.
    Anyone who likes collecting stuff and talking about collecting stuff (that surely includes nearly every member of this forum!), and wants to cut down their tobacco usage, will feel at home on UKV.

Craftsman

I've been reading UKVapers a lot - very useful info on there. I've ordered yet another new toy too - an SD keyring - for stealth vaping. :D The one downside of the LavaTube is that it's bit too unsubtle to whip out in public! Also have some of those CE2 clearomisers in the post as I liked the sound of them. I've also even managed to convert my 70 year old Mum who has been trying to give up smoking. She's just ordered a Riva 510!

Today is my first day without any real cigs at all and I'm not feeling very tempted to give in at all to be honest.. I had 2 yesterday and a similar number the day before. Fingers crossed that's me done with them.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    ..... The one downside of the LavaTube is that it's bit too unsubtle to whip out in public! Also have some of those CE2 clearomisers in the post as I liked the sound of them......

Have you seen the Lavatube Mini? Takes an 18350 battery, so it's around 30mm shorter.

If you have any problems with the CE2 clearos (I assume they are the "Ultimate" version?), search on UKV for tips on how to improve them by trimming the silicon cup seal.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    ..... The one downside of the LavaTube is that it's bit too unsubtle to whip out in public! Also have some of those CE2 clearomisers in the post as I liked the sound of them......

Have you seen the Lavatube Mini? Takes an 18350 battery, so it's around 30mm shorter.

If you have any problems with the CE2 clearos (I assume they are the "Ultimate" version?), search on UKV for tips on how to improve them by trimming the silicon cup seal.
    I hadn't seen the mini when I ordered the original, but I have since. Might have to consider one for a future upgrade, but as I've already ordered 3 PVs in my first week of vaping then I'm going to make myself wait. :) A tank is the next thing I really want to try. Can you recommend one for the LavaTube?

Not sure about the version of the clearomisers - it's these ones I've ordered: http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yx ... -510XL-R6- - thanks for the tip though, I'll have to read up on that.

Master

They look like revision 3 or 4 CE2s in the pics. Hopefully what you'll actually receive is the revision 5, with a single strand of thick wick, which works a bit better. I didn't think that anyone had stock of those left, as they have recently been discontinued. If you like them when they arrive, stock up before they run out!

I got my latest batch of CE2s direct from China - the short revision 5, same as what you should receive. To me, they are the best off the shelf atomising device, with excellent flavour. They will last a few weeks, too, as long as you take care not to let them run dry. Give them a wash and "dry burn" every week, and they keep going until the wick falls apart.
    Sometimes they work properly straight from the box, but often they don't wick too well. Pop off the top cap, the doughnut seal, and the cup seal. Make the wick cutouts in the cup seal twice as big, then put it all back together.

Are you asking about tanks to put clearos/cartos inside, or atomising devices with a tank built-in? Tank atomisers get mixed reviews, so I've avoided them. I make my own tanks to fit CE2 clearos and Boge cartos. Several vendors sell carto tanks, but not many sell them for clearos. I've sold a few of my "mini CE2 clearo tanks" via UKV, but I don't actively push them, as building the RTA and RDA takes up most of my spare time. I could sell you a CE2 tank - send me a PM if interested - but try the "stock" CE2s first.

Craftsman

Sorry, I posted the wrong link originally and edited my post to update it - they're revision 6 apparently - XL size.

I may well get in touch about a tank after I've given the CE2s a try - thanks for the tips. :)

Master

They are the "Ultimate" version - same innards, but stronger tubing. You'll probably find that the XL version holds enough juice to keep you going for 6 to 8 hours, and you probably won't need a tank.
    Something to be aware of with the XL versions: as the juice level drops, it helps to up-end them every few puffs. The wick can struggle to draw the juice up more than 20mm or so (true of most devices), and tipping keeps the coil wet.

Crikey! All the above is rather technical! :D

Interesting stuff though. However, I don't think I could be bothered to start lugging tanks around, or some of those contraptions shown on vaping forums...

Anyhow, I'm now twelve days in and still no tobacco or even the slightest hankering for it. I'm no longer a smoker, I'm...er.... a vapour...

:wink:

Christ, the last few posts are like trying to understand a carp fishing forum.

Anyway, first day today without a real cig!

....and tomorrow I am getting one of these:

TW 3.5ml Dual Coil Tank

Plus a couple of Tornado 1000mah manual batts and some low resistance cartomizers and a bottle of vanilla e-juice.

I'm beginning to sound like a carp fishing forumer, aren't I?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Dad
    Christ, the last few posts are like trying to understand a carp fishing forum.

Anyway, first day today without a real cig!

....and tomorrow I am getting one of these:

TW 3.5ml Dual Coil Tank
    First, well done mate!

Second, I am getting very lost here with all these talks about dual coils, tanks, atomisers. CE2s, etc

I smoke about 20 fags a day, strong cigarettes, 10mg Tar, 0.9mg Nicotine.

I have ordered the Halo starter kit. Yet to arrive.

What else would I need to sustain my habit on e-cigarettes? Would I need a dual coil, tank, CE2?

Many thanks

I feel like I going diving :lol:

Rocket-Roy,

I am certainly not the most knowledgeable here, but my advice would be:

Don't give up your real cigs immediately, gradually replace them with e-cigs.

If you feel your Halos aren't giving you enough, try their 2.4% high capacity cartridges, more vapour, more nicotine. If you stick with Halos you might want to think about a couple of spare batteries.

If that is not enough, try an alternative supplier like totallywicked, they have equipment that produces more vapour also Super High 36mg nicotine and also strong tobacco flavours.

Craftsman

Yep, the Halos are all you need. Everything else is to add options to improve the experience - not required unless you want to go there. Personally I'm a gear-geek - whether it's diving, watches, computers, hi-fi... I love playing with new toys. Vaping seems to offer a world of opportunity in that respect, but I'd wager that the majority of people who switch to e-cigs don't go down the route of mods, tanks etc. Congrats on making the decision to switch anyway. :)

Banned

Cheers guys :)

I will keep you all posted on developments.

Many thanks again.

Roy

Well I got my DCT from totally wicked today and it is amazing, tons of vapour and great 'throat hit' as vapers call it.

Anyone interested in one of these and not sure what parts to order (it can be confusing) here's what I got:

3.5ML DCT (Dual Coil Tank)

3.5ML Dual Coil Tank Decorative Plinth (goes between the battery and the tank)

4 Dual Coil Tank replacement Cartomizers, this bit goes through the middle of the tank and changes the liquid into vapour (these are the parts that wear out, apparently they only last about seven re-fills of liquid)

Tornado eGo-C 1000mAh Manual Battery - Black & Brushed Steel (I got one of each)

Tornado Mega USB Charger

30ML Bottle Of Totally Wicked E-Liquid, I chose Vanilla Flavour (nicotine strength to suit)

The whole thing assembled looks like this (although my batteries are longer)

Master

It can all get a bit confusing, and there's plenty of jargon - bit like coming to TZ for the first time! Spend a few hours on UKV or AAEC, and all will become clear.

Plenty of people try e-cigs, but not many make it as far as a dedicated vaping forum. I guess that the ones that don't join a forum are either happy with their cig-alikes, give up nicotine totally, or go back to the fags. It's a shame that no-one knows how many fall into each category.

Like watches, e-cigs follow a certain hierarchy, and different levels of "geekiness" satisfy different users. Try a starter kit (cig-alike or Riva/Tornado/eGo) and see how it goes. If you need more flavour or hit, go up the scale to something bigger and better.

Grand Master

anyone got a decent source for disposables? i'm not sure i'm ready for a full kit yet but a decent budget disposable source would be good....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    anyone got a decent source for disposables? i'm not sure i'm ready for a full kit yet but a decent budget disposable source would be good....

I think your best bet is the Halo kit I recommended at the start. The cartomisers are disposable, while the batteries are rechargeable.

Blog Entries

I think your best bet is the Halo kit I recommended at the start. The cartomisers are disposable, while the batteries are rechargeable.
    Chaps,

I hate to be such a girl, but has anyone else felt sick, heady and slightly odd, after using their Halo? I appear to really struggling with mine.

I'm using the low strength kit and it knocking the crap out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap

Chaps,

I hate to be such a girl, but has anyone else felt sick, heady and slightly odd, after using their Halo? I appear to really struggling with mine.

:shock:
    Not in the slightest! That is a bit odd as I can't see what would be doing that - it is just water vapour with a little bit of nicotine in it.

Are you used to smoking very low tar cigs? In the starter kit comes two types of cartridge - high and medium. Are you using the medium?

Blog Entries

Chaps,

Not in the slightest! That is a bit odd as I can't see what would be doing that - it is just water vapour with a little bit of nicotine in it.

Are you used to smoking very low tar cigs? In the starter kit comes two types of cartridge - high and medium. Are you using the medium?
    Normally Silk Cut Purple or Malb Lights. I'm using a medium refill from the initial kit, and I also have a light refill that I'm using. Both are really having a weird effect on me (headaches and a real spacey feeling) after use, even on a single drag!

Banned

You tart!

As TFB says, it's just a 'little bit' of nicotine :roll:

In fact, pop round to my squat tonight. We are chasing the beetle with just a little opium.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

You tart!

As TFB says, it's just a 'little bit' of nicotine :roll:

In fact, pop round to my squat tonight. We are chasing the beetle with just a little opium.
    Bugger, I'm washing my hair

Normally Silk Cut Purple or Malb Lights. I'm using a medium refill from the initial kit, and I also have a light refill that I'm using. Both are really having a weird effect on me (headaches and a real spacey feeling) after use, even on a single drag!

I have absolutely no idea - but a quick google finds this - I don't know if it applies to you though. I have zero medical experience, but it almost sounds as if your problem might be psychosomatic if it is happening after just one drag. Odd - maybe you just need to "adjust" to them? But I can see it probably isn't very pleasant for you. :(

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ ... aping.html

Blog Entries

I have absolutely no idea - but a quick google finds this - I don't know if it applies to you though. I have zero medical experience, but it almost sounds as if your problem might be psychosomatic if it is happening after just one drag. Odd - maybe you just need to "adjust" to them? But I can see it probably isn't very pleasant for you. :(

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ ... aping.html
    Cheers mate, I'll have a look

thattallchap,

Halo do a Low Nicotine option cartridge of 0.6% nicotine that may work for you.

Strange though, if you are used to smoking normal cigs.

TFB,

Two days now for me without a real cig (including a night shift last night), like you said the best invention ever, I have absolutely no inclination to light up a real fag even though they are within arm's reach. I really love and prefer the vanilla taste of my e-liquid. Just incredible, two days and I'm off the fags, forget all that nicotine patch and chewing gum misery.

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman for showing me the true path to no-fag enlightenment. :hello1:

Blog Entries

thattallchap,

Already using it, as mentioned in the last post

Craftsman

Some folk are allergic to the Propylene Glycol which forms the bulk of the content of most e-liquid. I'm not really sure whether your symptoms are consistent with that but it's worth considering. Have a google on that and see what you think. Many of those sufferers have success with using Vegetable Glycerine as an alternative - this is available in e-liquid form through most of the main retailer's websites. Might be worth a try...? I've got some VG liquid myself and it's OK - doesn't dry your mouth out as much as PG and produces more vapour, but seems to have less of that "throat hit" feeling.

Master

It's quite easy to get a nicotine rush when you first start using e-cigs. There's the temptation to hit it too hard, a lot harder that you would a cigarette, because it "isn't bad for you". The feeling should subside if you put it down for an hour or so. Give yourself a few days to used to it.

Good point about the PG/VG thing. I thought that PG caused an allergic reaction - rashes, mouth ulcers, etc - rather than a headache, though.

Blog Entries

It's quite easy to get a nicotine rush when you first start using e-cigs. There's the temptation to hit it too hard, a lot harder that you would a cigarette, because it "isn't bad for you". The feeling should subside if you put it down for an hour or so. Give yourself a few days to used to it.

Good point about the PG/VG thing. I thought that PG caused an allergic reaction - rashes, mouth ulcers, etc - rather than a headache, though.
    Fair point, I'm taking about 1 or 2 drags on my Halo, and it seems to send me into a spin, however this morning has been better. Ive just had my morning smoke, which is great, so hopefully I can cut down the 7-8 per day that i normally have, and rely more on the Halo.

I'll see how it goes this week.

thattallchap,

Strange though, if you are used to smoking normal cigs.

TFB,

Two days now for me without a real cig (including a night shift last night), like you said the best invention ever, I have absolutely no inclination to light up a real fag even though they are within arm's reach. I really love and prefer the vanilla taste of my e-liquid. Just incredible, two days and I'm off the fags, forget all that nicotine patch and chewing gum misery.

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman for showing me the true path to no-fag enlightenment. :hello1:

Your post has absolutely made my week. Seriously. :) :)

All the very best to you. Keep us all updated.

Alex

Master

Didn't realise that you only smoked 7 or 8 lights a day. It could be that even the low strength carts are a bit strong for you. Maybe consider getting some 5 or 6mg/ml juice, and cutting it with PG or VG. Use the juice to refill the carts that came with your e-cig.

Blog Entries

Didn't realise that you only smoked 7 or 8 lights a day. It could be that even the low strength carts are a bit strong for you. Maybe consider getting some 5 or 6mg/ml juice, and cutting it with PG or VG. Use the juice to refill the carts that came with your e-cig.
    Cheers or the advise, i'll bear it in mind. As mentioned today has been much better, only one smoke so far today :)

Banned

I got my kit.

However, I am not too impressed with my smokes on the Halo. It taste different, having problems with consistency of drags, lack of smoke on exhallation.

Now should I go for something else or "Keep calm and carry on!"

I got my kit.

However, I am not too impressed with my smokes on the Halo. It taste different, having problems with consistency of drags, lack of smoke on exhallation.

You sound like you're having a similar experience to me, although I quite like the hint of vanilla taste

What I did was persevere with the Halos, replacing at least some of your regular smokes throughout the day (to get your money's worth, if nothing else).

If you can see some potential in vaping then you could think about getting a twin coil tank system in a high nicotine, strong tobacco flavour.

Although I don't think vaping will ever be exactly like your old cigs, this type of setup should get you a lot closer.

Depends really on how much you want to spend, how much you want to compromise and how much you want to quit tobacco.

Persevere chaps! Some will find it easier to make the switch than others, but believe me it is worth it.

I am nearly two weeks in and I haven't touched tobacco once since mine arrived.

I genuinely feel one hell of a lot better for it! I didn't realise the benefits would be so apparent so quickly.

Blog Entries

Well, I've had a total of 9 smokes this week, so the vaping is obviously working, the headiness and sick feelings appear to be subsiding as well, so maybe, just maybe this could work.

I just wish I knew how much to vape, as an equivalent to a single fag!

Well, I've had a total of 9 smokes this week, so the vaping is obviously working, the headiness and sick feelings appear to be subsiding as well, so maybe, just maybe this could work.

I just wish I knew how much to vape, as an equivalent to a single fag!
    Well done mate, I take about 12 drags from an e-cig to represent one fag's worth. Although I hit my 'crack pipe' (as they laughingly call it at work) harder first thing in the morning.

Everytime I feel like a smoke, I have a vape and the craving goes away.

Fifth day now tobacco free, actually my e-liquid feels a bit strong and I am going to reduce the nicotine content on my next bottle ordered.

Ideally I'd like to slowly reduce the nicotine content to zero, might take a while though.

Master

I got my kit.

I found that at first, but by the time I was on my second refill I'd either adjusted to the different smoke/nicotine content, or changed my 'smoking' style to suit.

Bit disappointed with the refill capacity though-I checked with the seller, and the kit I got was supposed to come with high-capacity refills-but I got nowhere near the claimed 400-odd drags, more like 200. I've ordered some high-capacity ones now, and am hoping that the ones in the kit were the wrong ones.

Progress update:

Started the tank system on Monday and my first cartomizer just failed, which is OK, that is within the time they are supposed to last and they are £8.99 for four.

I have found a Chinese website for much cheaper e-liquid.

Not had any tobacco since Monday and don't feel the need for any. :brave:

I have reduced the nicotine content in the e-liquid already.

Very happy. TFB, I owe you a :occasion5:

Craftsman

Well done SD. I've been fag-free since last weekend too and have genuinely had no desire for one. Mind you, as I work mainly from home I've found I've been chain-vaping most days - it's hard to put it down, particularly with all the different flavour liquids I've bought to try. Not worried at the moment as anything to stay off the smokes, but I'll look at tapering down my use over the next few weeks. Not planning on giving it up completely anytime soon though.

Very happy. TFB, I owe you a :occasion5:
    As do I. And I think the e-cig e-tailers owe him a rather hefty chunk of commision! 8)

This is great news guys - I really am chuffed!

This was exactly the reason I started this thread - because in all seriousness if it helps some others make the change I am truly delighted.

Now, keep spreading the word!
    :) :) :)

I started vaping back in march 2010, still at it :D though not as much. I never had any intention at the time of giving up the fags, ecigs were not as advanced 2 years ago as they are now so it took a bit of time and research but I was off the fags within a month and haven't smoked a fag since. I have absolutely no craving for a cig and didn't have one single 'weak' moment since getting on these. They are great....some people ask why I haven't completely broken the connection to nic? ...but why bother, I only do it on occasion now, once or twice a day, there are days when I don't bother.
    My fitness 100% back to non-smoking levels, they were within about 6 months. I can do high rep heavy squats now whereas when smoking I used to nearly have seizures doing any squats. :D

Ecigs are truly are a great way to get off the smokes, I tried everything before these and nothing came close. You have to get the right combination to work for you but it's not rocket science; a good few batteries (for spares) plenty of atomisers and carts and the right strength juice (very important) and you are away.
    I still use the ego/riva batteries and 510 atomizers and just use unflavoured 6mg nic now(it's cheaper). When I started I needed 24mg nic for it to work, I smoked about 15-20 golden virginia rollies a day back then so was heavy enough. I hope anyone at wits end trying to quit sees the benefit in going down this route, sometimes cold turkey just doesn't work for everyone or will just leave you miserable. When I gave up the fags with these it was just seamless, I just stopped and told myself 'well these are my new cigs' :) I never felt that kind of 'something's missing?' gnawing feeling that you get when I previously tried patches or gum or cold turkey. If you are one of those sort of cig quitters counting the minutes since going off then these ecigs may well work for you. Much less stressful :)

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    When I gave up the fags with these it was just seamless, I just stopped and told myself 'well these are my new cigs' :) I never felt that kind of 'something's missing?' gnawing feeling that you get when I previously tried patches or gum or cold turkey.
    An excellent a inspirational post. The above quote is absolutely spot-on and very well put. I have had exactly the same experience - these are my new "smokes", and nothing is missing - just a little different. Nothing feels "missing" at all.

I also love the way "vaping" is so much easier than smoking ever was. Anytime I fancy a couple of drags I just whip it out of my pocket (!) enjoy it, and then carry on with whatever I was doing. No going outside and lighting up, or grabbing a couple of crafty minutes when out with the family (I never smoked in front of my kids).

Life is a lot easier now.

Just got a trial pack through from totally wicked. How many drops should I use? 3 or 4 doesn't really seem like a lot, or is this really all that's needed?

Well, Mr Banana, thank you for raising this again. I had tried e-cigs last year when on holiday in the US and it was absolutely horrible. (Too early in the development and too cheap I suspect).

The Halo is much, much better. The taste is good, the throat hit is OK and all round it works pretty well. I ordered a kit on your recommendation and have been on it for about a week.

I am delighted it is working for you and for the other guys, but I am finding it great but not quite doing it for me. I put this down to a) I am a 30 year heavy smoker (say 30-a-day) and b) I switched to a pipe about 5 years ago. Pipe smokers like huge volumes of tasty smoke. I mean huge. The Halo can't quite do it.

I have got down to the equivalent of 5-6 cigarette-equivalent 'real' smokes a day within a week, which is amazing for me.

Being the forum and internet junkies we all are, I of course set off on a bit of research and discovered all the vaping forums.

<RANT MODE ON>

Australia has seen fit to ban e-cigarettes and vaping. You can buy e-cigarettes here, but only in 0% nicotine. You cannot buy nicotine e-juice and it is illegal to sell it. It is classed as a grade 7 poison and if anyone tries to sell it they will be prosecuted. Fortunately, you can import it in reasonable quantities for personal use, but what the **** does the health lobby think it is playing at?

All tobacco promotion is banned here, including point of sale (no tobacco products visible at all in shops - including tobacconists) and we are very close to generic, no-branding, plain packaging on all tobacco products ( so no more Marlboro, Embassy or John Player). I understand (but disagree with) all that, but banning a viable smoking cessation product? I am speechless.

<RANT MODE OFF>

As some previous posters have mentioned, if you forget 'it looks and feels like a cigarette', there are some great alternatives out there. I have a load of kit due to arrive in the next few days that I hope will give all the volume and taste that I want. Of course, I have a bit longer to wait until the nicotine laced e-juice arrives from overseas...but I have the Halo to tide me over.

I'll report on my success (or otherwise) as I progress.

Meanwhile, if you are throwing away the cartomizers (filter tip equivalents) on the Halo when they run out, don't. Use a small screwdriver (1.4 mm is good - we all have them right?) to prise the end cap off. They can be refilled with e-juice much more cheaply than buying new ones. Ecigarette Direct (in the UK) sell the e-juice.