closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

business to business sale are unaffected so might be a work around for some folk.

Battery Advice

With thanks to Brighty for the recommendations, I referred my battery question to both Fogstar and Torchy.

Both agree that my setup (160W / 0.15Ω, so close to 5V / 32A) is pushing the limits a little, so maybe I'm just expecting too much from my cells.

Fogstar rubbished the AWT cells supplied with the Alien mod, whereas Torchy rated them as pretty good and gave me a link to their test results, which suggest they performed rather well when tested.

I found Fogstar's recommendations confusing (first a much lower capacity cell, and then one rated at only 25A), but Torchy reckoned Sony VTC5A or VTC6 might give me longer vaping time per charge, so I think I'll give them a go. Significantly more expensive, but they did give me a 15% discount code

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    I'm starting to find that the 3.7V 3,000MAH 40A 18650 batteries I use in my mod are going flat before the end of the day.

Both agree that my setup (160W / 0.15Ω, so close to 5V / 32A) is pushing the limits a little, so maybe I'm just expecting too much from my cells.

I might be mistaken but on a regulated mod, with you using dual 18650 rated at 3.7 volt, I think your calculation would actually be 160(W) / 7.4(V) = 21.62(I).
    That strikes me as pretty high.

It's a different calculation than that used for mechanical mods which would work out the amp draw (I) based on V/R, which is what's used on most online calculation engines and therefore flawed when using it on regulated circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Just a reminder to all current, new and prospective vapers.

The new TPD laws come into effect at midnight tomorrow night.

After that, it will be illegal to sell, so you won't be able to buy

Liquid above 18mg/ml, that includes high strength (54 or 72mg/ml) nicotine base that you use to mix your own liquid
    Liquid of any strength in bottles bigger than 10ml
    Tanks/clearos/atomisers that hold more than 2ml

So get your orders in today/tomorrow, or just go back on the fags like they want us to

Brighty
    I have to say that this makes no sense to me, given the restriction now on retailers selling fags and tobacco in 10 packs and the smaller 12.5g pouches - forcing sales of 20 packs and 30grams instead! Vape small, smoke big is what I take away from that.

Anyway, screw the TPD and screw EU legislation. Todays set-up; second attempt at a dual coil on my new Norbert Origen RDA.

Dual 28AWG, 7 wraps on 3mm id, combined at a little north of 1ohm.
    Mrs Lord & Co's rather yummy Victoria Sandwich.
    Last edited by howie77; 18th May 2017 at 21:17.

Really not sure - I'm no electrical expert but this is what the mod is showing after my last puff:

Yup, that's showing the current delivered to the coil, not drawn from the batteries; 5.123(V) / 0.156(R) = 32.84(I).

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Yup, that's showing the current delivered to the coil, not drawn from the batteries; 5.123(V) / 0.156(R) = 32.84(I).
    Understood - any idea where that leaves me in my quest for longer-lasting batteries?

Hm, can't really help there as I'm currently using:

Sony VTC4 at 2100mAh
    LG DB HE4 at 2500mAh
    Samsung 25R at 2500mAh

The latter two were from https://eu.nkon.nl so you could try there? Although none of the above are going to offer the capacity you're looking for.

You could have a look through https://batterybro.com though for tested recommendations perhaps.

Incidentally here's the report on the HE4;

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...s-newer-better

One caution is to always check the max continuous discharge rating - I'd keep it up at 20A - don't go by the capacity alone!

Cheers - I'll take a look at those but now I'm a little clearer on what's going on, the recommendation made by Torchy definitely seems worth trying.

Incidentally, couldn't agree more with you on the TPD, and hope that build's going well 😀

Yeah, that's the numbers the coil is seeing, V= IxR
    Current to the coil is coming from 2 batts, so each one is supplying 16.4 ohms

✓ Gotcha. Hoping a quality 3000mAh / 30A as per Torchy will get me sorted. After a lot of T&E with the mod, I've found the sweet spot for me and just need to nail the battery life.

✓ Gotcha. Hoping a quality 3000mAh / 30A as per Torchy will get me sorted. After a lot of T&E with the mod, I've found the sweet spot for me and just need to nail the battery life.
    Ignore my previous post about halving the current, i was talking bobbins.

Because the alien is a 'regulated device' it has altered the voltage, therefore the current will change, so ignore the current and voltage at the coil

The thing that will not change either side of the regulating gubbins is the power, power in W is like energy (W/second = Joules of energy), so it cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed, i.e you can transform the voltage/current, but the Watts stay the same.

So, to get the battery current, you just need the power (160W) and the voltage, then use I=P/V to get the battery current, as per Howies post

The batteries are 3.7V, but they can be wired 1 of 2 different ways, series or parallel, either way, the current per battery is the same

For series, the voltage gets doubled to 7.4V and the current flows through both batteries, so 160/7.4 = 21.6A
    For parallel, the voltage stays at 3.7V, but the current is shared between the 2 batteries so 160/3.7 = 43.2A, so 21.6A per battery

However, the batteries will only be 3.7V when fully charged, as they drain, the voltage will drop, therefore current will rise to keep the required 160W. The alien should cut off when the batteries get too low, probably about 3V

So 160/3 = 53.3A, 26.7A per battery, add 10% to cover losses in conversion etc and you're knocking on the door of 30A

Therefore, as you say, get yourself some good 30A jobs

Maybe consider dialling the power back a smidge?
    Last edited by Brighty; 19th May 2017 at 09:09.

Lol yes we got there in the end between the three of us I think - thanks both for helping to straighten this out for me.

Ordered in the Sony VTC6 from Fogstar last night at less than £12.50 delivered for the pair after the discount code, and thanks again for that.

Lol yes we got there in the end between the three of us I think - thanks both for helping to straighten this out for me.

Ordered in the Sony VTC6 from Fogstar last night at less than £12.50 delivered for the pair after the discount code, and thanks again for that.
    Aren't the VTC6 only rated to 20A?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Aren't the VTC6 only rated to 20A?
    Yes - I chose them on the basis of Torchy's advice and what's been discussed here, suggesting that the current drawn from each of the cells is below 20A. I also did a little research on the Sony cells and they seem to be well regarded, so I bit the bullet and bought a pair.

After reading your earlier post, I've confirmed that the Alien connects the batteries in series, and that the low voltage cutoff point is set to 2.8V per cell. According to this article the way to calculate the maximum current draw on a regulated mod is:

Max amps per cell = Max wattage per cell / Min voltage per cell (+ 10% overhead to allow for inefficiency in the regulator)

In my setup at 160W, that's 80W / 2.8V / 0.9 = 31.75A per cell.

So the VTC6 cells may do me no good after all...
    Last edited by DMC102; 19th May 2017 at 11:17.

Incidentally, I've just had an email from gosmokefree.co.uk who are offering some good reductions on non-TPD-compliant liquids, tanks and kits.

I've just picked up a spare 6ml tank for about half price with free delivery, so might be worth a look - some prices reduced by over 70%.

Today only, of course, and no doubt there'll be deals to be had everywhere else. No affiliation.
    Last edited by DMC102; 19th May 2017 at 11:33.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I've been vaping now for about 6 months, started off with an innokin cool fire iv+ with an innokin isub apex tank. The apex tank is brilliant, never leaks, can top up juice with it in place and no need to empty it when swapping coils, the cool fire mod is pretty damn good too. The only criticism of the tank is that it can be a little tough to see how much juice you have left in it in poor light.

The wife joined me a few months later and went for an endura t18, another good quality product from innokin however it charges from the bottom so cannot be kept upright easily whilst charging and being slim and round has a tendency to fall over and roll. The tank must also be emptied in order to change coils and can leak. Unfortunately this rolling behaviour caused the tank to break when it rolled off a table. This prompted me to buy a new cool fire iv TC100, a temperature controlled mod where all you do it tell it what temperature you want and what coil material you are using and it handles all the rest. She now uses myu old mod with another t18 tank as she doesn't want to sub ohm.

I've also started 'brewing' my own juice as I've weaned myself off the nicotine. A bottle 500ml of PG/VG mix is about £7 on line and concentrates are about £2 for 10ml, a cheap syringe pack off amazon was £5 and some dropper bottles £2.50.
    I've stuck to simple flavours so far but my results even at this early stage are comparable to shop bought juice. I aim to get more adventurous soon.

All in all it's a very good alternative to cigarettes.
    I have managed to drop the nicotine to zero, could you give me some pointers to mix at £7 and the flavours please

Master
    I'm now quit from cigs and vape. The vape was instrumental in getting me off for good.

Now that the new legislation has kicked in and a 10ml bottle of juice that used to be had very cheaply now costing about a fiver, where are the vapers on here buying there juice to achieve the best deals?

Anyone tried this idea?

http://www.simplyeliquid.co.uk/produ...icotine-shots/

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Now that the new legislation has kicked in and a 10ml bottle of juice that used to be had very cheaply now costing about a fiver, where are the vapers on here buying there juice to achieve the best deals?

Anyone tried this idea?

http://www.simplyeliquid.co.uk/produ...icotine-shots/
    I diy, always have. That link seems pricey, and it only gets you 3mg strength, may as well not bother

Been considering making my own juice. I vape at 3ml so the link I provided appeals as it's certainly better value than what I am paying currently..

DIY is the way to go. Although the problem you have now is scourcing a decent strength nicotine supplier. Business to business sales are still ok in the U.K. But other than that it will be taking your chances and getting it from China.
    That's why I stocked up with 4 litres if 72mg nicotine prior to the new regs coming into force.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I'm now quit from cigs and vape. The vape was instrumental in getting me off for good.
    Well done that man!

I didn't realise people actually got off vaping! It almost seems like a fashion statement and who can have the biggest cloud of smoke bellowing from their car. A mate of mine started it as an excuse to get off smoking but he's now more hooked on vaping constantly looking at expensive machines and batteries. It's enabled him to constantly toke on it as he works now too, seeing if he can fill half the room with smoke!

I was behind some pretty young lady in her car the other days, she had one of the fandango vape machines and was just toking and blowing non stop out her side window. Looked so cool...

I know a lot of people use them to get off smoking but all you'd ever need is one of the slim ones and use it when you would smoke. Getting one of these smoke machines and toking on it non stop? I don't get it, unless it's for effect?

You're basically just saying 'look at me' or is it a 'stars in their eyes' fantasy that people want to feel like they're walking on stage... tonight Matthew...

If anyone truest wants to try one to give up, I will send you one for a small fundraiser donation. I will list it in for sale later. Brand new, I'll even send 6 extra bottles of liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Well done that man!

I didn't realise people actually got off vaping! It almost seems like a fashion statement and who can have the biggest cloud of smoke bellowing from their car. A mate of mine started it as an excuse to get off smoking but he's now more hooked on vaping constantly looking at expensive machines and batteries. It's enabled him to constantly toke on it as he works now too, seeing if he can fill half the room with smoke!

I was behind some pretty young lady in her car the other days, she had one of the fandango vape machines and was just toking and blowing non stop out her side window. Looked so cool...

I know a lot of people use them to get off smoking but all you'd ever need is one of the slim ones and use it when you would smoke. Getting one of these smoke machines and toking on it non stop? I don't get it, unless it's for effect?

You're basically just saying 'look at me' or is it a 'stars in their eyes' fantasy that people want to feel like they're walking on stage... tonight Matthew...

If anyone truest wants to try one to give up, I will send you one for a small fundraiser donation. I will list it in for sale later. Brand new, I'll even send 6 extra bottles of liquid.
    I partly agree with you that vaping has been hijacked by the massive cloud brigade. But the majority of folk use simple devices that produce a moderate amount of vapour. And just want to stop or reduce the amount of cigarettes they use. And have no interest in the latest Facebook group cloud machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    Been considering making my own juice. I vape at 3ml so the link I provided appeals as it's certainly better value than what I am paying currently..
    If you're happy with 3mg, then diy is possible for you, even with the new regs. Be much cheaper to mix from scratch and really isn't much harder than mixing those 2 little bottles into a big one from your link

Take a 100ml bottle

Add whatever % you want of VG, i get mine from boots, can get VG cheaper in bulk online, but the boots stuff is good quality and comes in a handy 200ml glass bottle. Cost 40p or so per 100ml of finished juice
    http://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy...200ml-10021858

Add 15ml or so of Pinkman concentrate, £5
    https://www.vampirevape.co.uk/e-liqu...ncentrate.html

Add 2x10ml 18mg nicotine shots. I used to buy my 72mg nic from these guys, looks like they now do the 10ml bottles, 2 will cost £1.78
    https://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/nic...s-10ml-18mg-ml

Then make up the rest of the 100ml with PG, available cheap enough online from either where you get your nic or flavouring, will cost pence per 100ml of finished juice
    https://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/sho...opylene-glycol
    https://www.vampirevape.co.uk/pg.html

So you can make your own juice for a little over £7 per 100ml for not too much more work than doing it as per your link for £17

Just a thought, if you were happy to make 200ml at a time, you wouldn't even need to do any measuring. Buy a 200ml bottle of boots VG, pour half down the sink(or however much you want depending on your preferred PG/VG ratio), throw in a whole 30ml bottle of concentrate, then 4x 10ml nicotine shots, then just top up the bottle with PG, done.
    Last edited by Brighty; 19th July 2017 at 09:48.

Apprentice

Newbie in vaping

Hi guys I dont know whether this is the ideal place to ask yet I essentially expected to ask regarding whether it is possible to smoke marijuana strain like this in http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/frostbite/ through a vaporizer? I never tried using a vaporizer yet im needing to get one. Do you guys have any beginners advice to tell me? Much thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Osmund View Post
    Hi guys I dont know whether this is the ideal place to ask yet I essentially expected to ask regarding whether it is possible to smoke marijuana strain like this in http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/frostbite/ through a vaporizer? I never tried using a vaporizer yet im needing to get one. Do you guys have any beginners advice to tell me? Much thanks!!
    Nice first post.

Journeyman
    The only leaf that I have in my vape is mint! 88 Vape stuff from Iceland (the shop!) £1 for a 10ml bottle....

Quote Originally Posted by Osmund View Post
    of course it is. take a look at these guys might find what you're after

https://arizer.com

I've just noticed that iQOS products are now available in the UK.

I guess I'm way behind the curve on this - would be interested to know if anyone has tried HNB and to hear impressions vs. vaping and cigarette smoking.

Journeyman
    I tried one of those puffa things and could not get on with all the faffing about, One day I just woke up and did not smoke ever again. I had some bad moods for the first week then nothing, no cravings or coughs just smoke free.

Giving up the fags or a puffer thing is quite easy, as they say. Just do It !

A long time since I've been on this thread, but I have now been using a simple ecig for over two years now. I've been using a blu pen type device and, overall, it's been fine for my needs, but recently I have had a lot of trouble with coils (clearomisers) burning out after merely days. They're not cheap at £5 a pop. I have a feeling that the quality of the product has now gone downhill for some reason, so was wondering if anyone could recommend an equally slimline 'puffer' that's of good quality and economical to run - there's such a lot of stuff on the market that I wouldn't know where to begin looking! TIA

Mouse, you could do a lot worse than the S17 from JacVapour.

https://www.jacvapour.com/series-s17-tf

^^^^

Thanks. That looks a good candidate, as does the S22 which has the bigger battery. I like the fact that you can buy coils (cheaply) separately, whereas with the blu you have to buy the whole inhaler device.

Just a note, you can actually recoil the Blu pods if you were inclined to go the rebuildable route.

I don't have one personally but only use RBA's and genesis atomisers, haven't used stock coils in years.

Just a note, you can actually recoil the Blu pods if you were inclined to go the rebuildable route.

I cant' personally so don't use RBA's and genesis atomisers, only used stock coils for years.
    FTFY bud

I smoked from 1997 until 2004 and had the odd one between then and 2016, when my degree brought me to a near meltdown and 10 Marlboro Lights out of the Spar shop.
    That was me smoking again and pretty quickly got back to nearly 30 per day. I started vaping properly in early 2017 and I haven't touched a fag since (apart from the 'holiday fags' which my ex-girlfriend told me were obligatory....)
    I started off with a vape pen and went to a sub-ohm kit, building my own coils and mixing my own juice. I thought I was using it out of habit, but I know that I'm addicted to the nicotine. I've got it down to 3mg/ml and the plan this year is to stop using it altogether, but I vastly prefer vaping to smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestarp View Post
    FTFY bud
    Straaaaap!

Straaaaap!

Anyone looking to buy a rebuildable?

Ive got a Kayfun Lite I will be shifting tomorrow(ish)?

One of the best you can buy, reasonable condition and works perfectly, £32 delivered (was over £100 new).

I've just noticed that iQOS products are now available in the UK.

I guess I'm way behind the curve on this - would be interested to know if anyone has tried HNB and to hear impressions vs. vaping and cigarette smoking.
    Just bought IQOS today.

I tried vaping on and off for 2 years. I couldn't find liquid I like, people around complained about smoke and smell. Fell back to cigarettes month ago and decided to try IQOS. I think it is closer to smoking than vaping. There is slight smell of heated tobacco, but no big smoke.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    A long time since I've been on this thread, but I have now been using a simple ecig for over two years now. I've been using a blu pen type device and, overall, it's been fine for my needs, but recently I have had a lot of trouble with coils (clearomisers) burning out after merely days. They're not cheap at £5 a pop. I have a feeling that the quality of the product has now gone downhill for some reason, so was wondering if anyone could recommend an equally slimline 'puffer' that's of good quality and economical to run - there's such a lot of stuff on the market that I wouldn't know where to begin looking! TIA
    i've been vaping for 5 weeks now, and have gone from 20 a day to zero fags, using an Endura t18. it works perfectly so far and and i've only had to change the coil once so far. the coils are 5 for £7.99 toll.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

It’s now seven years since I started this thread, and I’ve not lapsed once, ever.

Easiest thing I’ve ever done and in health terms certainly the best.

I urge anyone and everyone to watch this:

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry...w_entry_recirc

For those who have already switched to vaping it will make you feel really good about yourselves. For those considering changing for the new year it may provide the final impetus you need.

Happy vaping in 2019!
    So clever my foot fell off.

I quit tobacco for vaping on 20 February 2014 and I doubt I would still be here if I had continued smoking.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It has been two years for me since swapping 20 Marlboro a day to now using a 30w istick eleaf and a mini Nautilus, saved a fortune and improved my health no end.

Journeyman
    2 years past October for me, switched from Golden Virginia to a Coolfire IV with Innokin t20 tank.

Biggest thing I noticed was getting my taste buds back, I can actually taste things now!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    It’s now seven years since I started this thread, and I’ve not lapsed once, ever.
    Same for me - 7 years and still vaping. Your thread was the reason I packed in the fags.

Now using a RTA (Kayfun Prime) and making my own joose - have done for years. Gave up buying kit and hardly think about vaping at all now, the same way I regarded smoking. The annual cost is peanuts!

A big thanks, yet again TFB!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Easiest thing I’ve ever done and in health terms certainly the best.

I urge anyone and everyone to watch this:

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry...w_entry_recirc

For those who have already switched to vaping it will make you feel really good about yourselves. For those considering changing for the new year it may provide the final impetus you need.

Happy vaping in 2019!
    Started vaping this summer, after 25(?!) years of smoking. Yes.. I have started smoking in 15 and smoked for 25 years.

Now Aspire PockeX and various juice.

Total cost for the month is around 15 £, including sub ohm vaporiser (on this gadget it can last for a month) and 100 mil mixture with low nicotine.

Taste buds are back, I do not stink anymore - actually I started to nag about smokers pubs since my clothes reek after them - and I have saved a lot of money.

Oh.. and I can breathe much easier after years and years of caughin.

Nice to see this thread resurrected
    I went Vape only (from about 10-12g of rolling baccy a day) in 2012 thanks to this thread, and vape free about 18 months later (having worked down the nico scale vaping, then realising it was just a muscle-memory habit after that and stopping altogether).
    I am feeling better all the time as a result, and even though I am turning 50 in 2019, am keeping up with (now) U12s at the rugby club I coach at more and more easily.
    Thanks again TFB
    Dave

About 5 years vaping for me, could never go back to cigs now, the idea of it turns my stomach. I’ve resisted the urge to go down the rabbit hole of complicated builds and am happy with a cool fire and Aspire tank using Clapton 1.8 ohm coils at 16w. Still buy made up juice from a pal who owns a vape shop but still can’t get down from 12mg but haven’t made a concerted effort to do so.
    Cheers..
    Jase