closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Well, I'll fess up. I've always liked tobacco. I don't really drink at all, never done drugs, but a cafe creme blue cigar or several is my weakness. Or rather it was.

I was very slightly older than 39 this year, and although the missus didn't really nag, I could see she was getting less happy about my habit. And frankly it wasn't making me feel too great either. Twenty five years of enthusiastic smoking (the first fifteen or so of which were cigarettes) hadn't yet taken their toll, but I was pretty sure it was only a matter of not much more time and I was going to start paying (and not just the daft price any cigarette or cigar now seems to command).

The big problem for me was not during the day - I work long days and I haven't smoked during the working day for years. My weakness started when I left for home and in the evenings. A little cigar or if I'm honest, a number of little cigars, was my reward for working hard and making it through the day. Oh, and I did inhale as well.

So I did a little googling, and youtubing about electronic cigarettes and cigars. Lots of videos of people saying how once they had bought one they never smoked another real cigarette again.

"Boll*cks" was my immediate and fairly emphatic reaction.

Despite my utterly immense skepticism I ordered a £27 Halo e-cigarette starter kit from these folk (please note - I have absolutely no affiliation with them whatsoever):

http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/

There are lots of others on the market but this seems to be the most impressive.

It arrived a week ago with some trepidation I charged it up and I haven't touched a cigar since. It is utterly, utterly incredible. This latest generation of ecigarette smokes the same, tastes the same, hits the back of your throat the same, gives you the lift the same, creates "smoke" the same... and it contains no carcinogens or tar at all. All it contains is nicotine in a cartridge that is vapourised as you drag on the cigarette and tuned to vapour. This does you no more harm than a coffee, probably less, and what is even more astonishing is that there is no burning of anything. So you can have a few drags, blow some smoke rings, then pop it back in your pocket.

The smoke has no smell, doesn't stink up the house or your clothes, and has no secondary effects on anyone. All you actually inhale and exhale is water vapour.

I have since discovered that amongst the enlightened who use these, smoking is now referred to as "vaping". :)

See it on David Letterman with a nice hottie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_wr0X_3wpA

My biggest problem with tobacco was that I actually really liked it. I liked having a drag. I like the ecigarette just as much because I genuinely cannot tell the difference - so I don't feel like I am depriving myself of anything.

And as a final clincher - it costs less than a third the price of tobacco and you can legally use it anywhere including pubs, workplace, public transport etc.

So why have I written all this? Simply because having found this totally life-changing product I wanted to share it and hopefully help a few of you (come on, own up) as well.

Buy one - it will be the best money you have ever spent I absolutely promise.

Happy vaping,
    TFB
    :D
    So clever my foot fell off.

Re: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Well done mate :)

I always like your stories :P

Keep it up!!!

Blog Entries

Interesting, I've seen a few people with these of late and a mate of mine recently got one in an attempt to give up.

The issue I have, is that i do really enjoy my smoke and a shot of espresso, however I don't smoke alot at all (5-8 a day) so these electronic replacements always seem to be a little harsh as they appear to be designed more for the 20-40 a day boys and girls!. That said it would stop my hissy fits when I loose my only remaining lighter! :D

Alex, I would be genuinely interested in how you get on with this long term, as I'm seriously considering getting one and kicking the habit for good.

A friend of mine uses these at work! its funny watching them sitting at their desk, have to double take sometimes to check its not real!

I think you can get cartridges without nicotine in to swap between to help stop completely if you ever chose to.

Sounds like you have found a great step to take though - well done!

I got one and they are VERY good. However, I broke the bugger and went back to smoking Like you, I really enjoy cigars and had a £15 a day habit. Decided I needed an incentive to quit so went and bought a watch from Goldsmiths on 0% finance, so now happily spending a few days worth per month on a nice watch.

Still got the E-cig and occasionally take a (nothing in it) hit when I'm in the car, seems to satisfy me.

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    Interesting, I've seen a few people with these of late and a mate of mine recently got one in an attempt to give up.

The issue I have, is that i do really enjoy my smoke and a shot of espresso, however I don't smoke alot at all (5-8 a day) so these electronic replacements always seem to be a little harsh as they appear to be designed more for the 20-40 a day boys and girls!. That said it would stop my hissy fits when I loose my only remaining lighter! :D

Alex, I would be genuinely interested in how you get on with this long term, as I'm seriously considering getting one and kicking the habit for good.

I will certainly keep this thread updated - and welcome any posts from others who give these a try.

You can get different strength cartridges for them - from strong to mild, or completely nicotine free. Also available are menthol, and mad flavours such as chocolate pie etc..

To be honest I am not interested in the others - all I want is something that tastes and "smokes" the same as regular tobacco. And quite incredibly, this does.

Spend the £27, or even try the mini starter kit which is cheaper. I promise you will be gobsmacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ted
    A friend of mine uses these at work! its funny watching them sitting at their desk, have to double take sometimes to check its not real!

I think you can get cartridges without nicotine in to swap between to help stop completely if you ever chose to.

The thing is, I like smoking. I don't actually want to stop. I just want to smoke without all the nasty side-effects (and cost these days).

So now, with one of these, I am actually not smoking at all! But I am carrying on as normal - which is really weird to get your head around until you try it.

Craftsman

Another convert to the marvellous world of vaping, well done sir...

ties in quite nicely with this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197801 , enjoy

I am another who enjoys smoking and I must admit I am seriously tempted to try these.

My only hesitation is the fact that vaping may get the nod of approval from the anti-smoking brigade and I wouldn't want to give them any more cause for satisfaction :)

Grand Master

as an iverterate smoker, often of hand rolled though not always, i'd be interested to see how one of these compares to a rollie!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ted

The thing is, I like smoking. I don't actually want to stop. I just want to smoke without all the nasty side-effects (and cost these days).

So now, with one of these, I am actually not smoking at all! But I am carrying on as normal - which is really weird to get your head around until you try it.
    You are almost making me want to take it up and I don't even smoke!

Well, partially, done. :) Are there plans on the horizon for giving the vapes up? :)

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf
    Well, partially, done. :) Are there plans on the horizon for giving the vapes up? :)

No, none at all. Why should I? As far as I am concerned this isn't smoking, the risks are minimal, and I enjoy it.

:D

Interesting.

How do you know when to stop a vaping sesh? I mean with a normal cig, once it's finished, then it's finished. With an everlasting cig like this, you could go on vaping for half an hour, or more.

Can you use it on a plane?

And what about refills? Is it mail-order only, or can you schlepp down to the newsagents?

SCAM warning - tread carfully

I heard loads about all the different companies doing these Electronic Cigs to get peoples Credit Card details - check it out online as there's alot of dodgy dealings afoot. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo

I heard loads about all the different companies doing these Electronic Cigs to get peoples Credit Card details - check it out online as there's alot of dodgy dealings afoot. :shock:
    Ok - the one I linked to above is perfectly legit, UK based, and you can even pay through Paypal.

I suppose if you want to get off the tobacco for health reasons and can't quit vaping makes sense. It still seems an expensive pursuit though when ultimately you are vapourising your money instead of burning it because you have a nicotine addiction?

Master

I've made the move too, works out cheaper even after outlay for kit.

Tried to quit lots of times and this is the only way that has lasted; still early days but tobacco free since NYE, I use liberty flights website, lots of flavour choice - prefer non tobacco flavours as they taste better to me.

I just gave up a bit of nicorette gum when my body was suffering the rest of the time it was just a problem in my head took 10 days haven't smoked in 16 years and wouldn't want to but giving up my watch habit well..........

Craftsman

I've tried this and been through several solutions. It may work if you smoke a few a day but if you do 20 like me sometimes the old ways are the best.

E-fags are certainly less harmful than tobacco but ... those that contain nicotine pass nicotine to your bloodstream and thence to your brain and cause the same adrenalin rush as regular cigarettes. OK, so it is probably not carcinogenic ... but is it wise to continue overloading your body with adrenalin?

We do need adrenalin to help us deal with stressful situations but too much can cause overload and thus stress the heart. Heart attacks can be triggered by too much adrenalin. Irregular heart rhythms can be triggered by adrenalin rushes and thus put unnecessary strain on the heart. Whilst you are young or relatively young you might not notice the strain but as you get older the effects become more noticeable.

If you become addicted to E-fags containing nicotine you risk the same adrenalin rush consequences as when you smoked tobacco. Unfortunately adrenalin rushes can become addictive because they cause the brain to produce dopamine -and too much dopamine can affect the central nervous system.

After giving up smoking over 20 years ago I can look back and see myself then and picture how I was affected by those regular adrenalin rushes. I was even prescribed propananol to overcome the anxiety attacks caused by too much adrenalin.

Please do not get too complacent and think that the nicotine in E-fags is never going to harm you ... it can and it will ... more so because it is addictive.

E-fags containing nicotine are not "the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever," .. and anyone who believes they are needs to get a little wiser.

Best wishes

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

Interesting. I had my last smoke on new year's eve and have not touched one since, no patches, gums, hypnotism or e-fags. However, if I find myself tempted back in I would certainly give one of these a go.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Interesting.

How do you know when to stop a vaping sesh? I mean with a normal cig, once it's finished, then it's finished. With an everlasting cig like this, you could go on vaping for half an hour, or more.
    I'd wondered this. I'm in the embarrassing position of having given up 6+ years ago, but recently re-started. Nothing beats a cup of black coffee and a Marlboro in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun

I think you'll be ok if you use the company in the Op's post.. :wink:
    defo

Was just warning folk to tread careful and not so about looking for deals you know how tight some watch folk can be :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Interesting.

I'd wondered this. I'm in the embarrassing position of having given up 6+ years ago, but recently re-started. Nothing beats a cup of black coffee and a Marlboro in the morning.
    I don't find it an issue at all. You just have as much or as little as you want. Whenever you want. Easy peasy.

Master

Always thought you were older...must have been the smokin' :mrgreen:

Craftsman

Ok - the one I linked to above is perfectly legit, UK based, and you can even pay through Paypal.
    Plus the alternative payment methods are also through third-party providers, so the company quoted don't receive your credit card details at all.

I've just ordered a kit based on these comments. I'm a lifelong smoker who recently gave up for four years until one of life's odd turns led to me finding an excuse to take it up again.

When I've tried to quit over the years, I've tried every nicotine replacement available, but none of them stuck. Cold turkey was the only thing that worked for me (albeit only for those four years). I'd like to give up again, and I've had a few half-hearted attempts, but I know how my brain works and that I have to be in the right frame of mind to give it any chance of a realistic shot. That's not right now, and I don't see these e-cigs as any kind of support in giving up. I'm just hoping they'll be a healthier alternative to the real thing until I can get myself disciplined enough to have another honest go at giving up.

And besides, just before typing this, I've been freezing my arse off in the back garden at 2 o'clock in the morning, having a crafty fag, so if these don't let off any smoke or harmful vapours then I won't need to evacuate the premises, which is a bonus in itself!

The thing is, like others have opined, I do thoroughly enjoy smoking and even when I gave it up I always swore that I'd allow myself to take it up again when I reach a certain older age. I'm not convinced by the promise of these e-cigs, but hell I'm willing to give them a try! I'll report back on my experience... :D

Good on you - I think you are going to be amazed.
    :)

Let us know how you get on.

Master

Anyone who thinks this is a harmless pursuit is delusional.
    It may be less injurious to health than tobacco smoking, but I suspect the long term effects of administering regular doses of a poison that's a very effective insecticide are unlikely to be therapeutic.
    I'm not criticising electronic cigarettes, but I think it's silly to claim they're not harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar
    It may be less injurious to health than tobacco smoking, but I suspect the long term effects of administering regular doses of a poison that's a very effective insecticide are unlikely to be therapeutic.
    I'm not criticising electronic cigarettes, but I think it's silly to claim they're not harmful.
    Yep - coffee can be harmful.

According to info on-line they are reckoned to be 99% less harmful than normal tobacco. Believe me, I'll happily accept that.

You are right but it's probably a total waste of time trying to tell them how harmful nicotine in any form can be ... after all, they think it's NEVER going to happen to them ... they are IMMUNE!! :x ... and you have to take into account they cannot survive without their titty bottle substitutes.

dunk

Banned

Must admit, I find this post in bad taste Alex.

I smoked 50 a day for 30 years and gave up completely 7 months ago. Just worked that out and I've gone through over half a million smokes :shock:

Fine, go on about electronic ciggies, but the title

I suffered a heart attack on Tuesday. Long (or short as the case may be) diagnosis is yet to be confirmed, but some form of lung disease is kicking about.

The greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever, for smokers, is the cessation treatments.

Master

Really sorry to hear about that Steve. Fingers crossed everything will be OK.
    I smoked 20 a day for over 25 years and thankfully gave up about 5 years ago.
    Touch wood, I did it in time.

Yep - coffee can be harmful.

According to info on-line they are reckoned to be 99% less harmful than normal tobacco. Believe me, I'll happily accept that.
    Also, according to information on-line, there is a strong link between nicotine and elevated blood sugar levels which can lead to diabetes ... and people with diabetes are known to ... "lose their feet"

dunk

Steve,
    I'm very sorry to hear that and I hope all is ok soon.

Believe me, I know how addictive smoking is and the possible effects. I know how damned hard it is to quit.

That is why I posted this thread and the title - as far as I am concerned these devices are so good that to me they are the greatest invention ever. They have the potential to save many lives of people like me who cannot really give up tobacco.

It is a smoking cessation device, because a user is no longer smoking. I haven't touched tobacco for a week now, and have utterly no desire to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

I smoked 50 a day for 30 years and gave up completely 7 months ago. Just worked that out and I've gone through over half a million smokes :shock:

I suffered a heart attack on Tuesday. Long (or short as the case may be) diagnosis is yet to be confirmed, but some form of lung disease is kicking about.

The greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever, for smokers, is the cessation treatments.

I'm sure the OP was just using hyperbole and exaggeration to share his excitement about what he feels is a product that can help him shake off a dangerous habit. I doubt he really thought this was better than pennicillin, running water or electricity. I wish the OP all the best, and hopefully these e-cigs may in time make it easier for him to quit.

The timing of this post was actually pretty good, as I was about to give it a go myself; not as a long-term substitute for cigarettes but more to wean myself off of any kind of need for nicotine whatsoever.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what they're like. And Steve, answer your bloody phone!

Master

I've been vaping for 9 months now, and feel a lot better than when I smoked 30 rollies a day. I've got my sense of smell and taste back, and I don't get out of breath as easily.

Quitting completely will always be the best option health-wise, but, for people like me that don't have the will power or real inclination to stop, vaping is safer than smoking.

Grand Master

:shock: take it easy mate and hope you get better soon!

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Steve, I´m sorry to hear that, hope everything works out well.
    Alex, I read your review with great interest, I stopped smoking just over two years ago but, reading of others who stopped for 4-6 years then started again put quite a dampener on my euphoria, but if I have the alternative of these E cigarettes, should I ever think of starting again this would probably keep me from smoking.

I think they’ve got to be worth a try: what has a smoker got to lose by not having a go?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    And Steve, answer your bloody phone!
    "What do you think of this strap" will put me into an early grave, so

Thanks all :wink:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    And Steve, answer your bloody phone!
    "What do you think of this strap" will put me into an early grave, so

Thanks all :wink:
    Get well soon mate, i'm missing you :)

Craftsman

I had a go on one a couple of days ago - made me cough a lot - having said that I haven't smoked (tobacco) :shock: :shock: :drunken: in four years so it's not surprising really.

They really do taste like cheap and nasty cigs though - definitely worth trying if you smoke regular fags.

Good for you, OP.

Glad to hear that is works and hope you can quit smoking on a permanent basis.

Also happy, that you explained the term 'vaping' prior to just putting the word out there.

My mind would have sprung into overdrive otherwise as it sounds vaguely obscene..... :wink: :lol:

Ok - one week in and I haven't touched tobacco once. Not even felt the need or desire to at all. If anything, I now find the idea f actually lighting something and having it burn rather odd and unpleasant... :shock:

I have no cigars in the house, and haven't carried a lighter for a week either.

Mouth feels great, chest feels great.

Freedom tastes and vapes good.

:)

Just ordered the kit, hope it keeps me off the ciggies

Are these available in bricks and motar shops anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Dad
    Are these available in bricks and motar shops anywhere?

They've started appearing in service stations and Tesco's apparently - not specifically the Halo brand ones though.

I would recommend buying on of the decent Halo kits as I understand there is quite a bit of variance in terms of quality.

Cheers TFB,

Which kit should I order then?

How long did delivery take?

Stopped for years, re-started a few months ago for reasons I don't know.

>VERY SCEPTICAL<