closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How on earth...

Master
    Blog Entries

How on earth...

...do you manage to have a car crash in a petrol station that leads to 'both cars firing'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68533270

I'm not sufficiently au fait with car models nowadays but although one car looks like it has exhaust pipes, is the other car an electric car?

Fiat 500 and a BMW 1 series?

You'd imagine both are ice powered.

Collision while one car is refuelling petrol - who knows what the person holding the nozzle might do, and you just need one spark.

"Firing"...?

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Fiat 500 and a BMW 1 series?

You'd imagine both are ice powered.
    500 Abarth looking at the badge. Both definitely ICE and obviously there’d be no reason for an EV to be anywhere near a fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Both definitely ICE and obviously there’d be no reason for an EV to be anywhere near a fuel pump.
    Probably just parked against the pump while they head inside to do their shopping and grab a frappalattachinno, like they all seem to do at my local filling station.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Probably just parked against the pump while they head inside to do their shopping and grab a frappalattachinno, like they all seem to do at my local filling station.
    Yes, I've seen a Tesla at a pump quite often at our local BP/M&S station - but if the Fiat was an ICE vehicle, the idea of a collision whilst it was being fuelled seems most likely

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Yes, I've seen a Tesla at a pump quite often at our local BP/M&S station - but if the Fiat was an ICE vehicle, the idea of a collision whilst it was being fuelled seems most likely
    Of course, when two vehicles catch fire at a petrol pump, the most obvious cause is bound to be an EV battery fire!

They’re probably to blame for tumble drier fires too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    That’s just payback for all the ICE vehicles parking in EV charging bays or the fact that a lot of people don’t have any consideration for anyone but themselves these days

I can't see any massive crash damage on either car (slight crumpling on the back of the Fiat?), so a low speed impact at worst.

Of course, when two vehicles catch fire at a petrol pump, the most obvious cause is bound to be an EV battery fire!

PMSL
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I wouldn't have wanted to get caught in that jam

Master
    Blog Entries

My bad - it's a distraction from my main concerns.. how on earth do you have a collision at garage forecourt speeds and then how does that lead to a fire like that. But as someone suggested, if someone (the Fiat driver) was in the process of filling his car when he was hit, that could explain the fire. But I still fail to understand how they were hit in a forecourt (though maybe a medical incident?).

All in all, it seems a pretty bad outcome for trying to fill your car.

Master
    It looks like the BMW possibly hit the pump rather than the Fiat. I can imagine the customer filling the Fiat to be sufficiently startled to swing around with the nozzle spewing petrol over the back of their car and down onto the tailpipes, then whoomph. A scary place to be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    It looks like the BMW possibly hit the pump rather than the Fiat. I can imagine the customer filling the Fiat to be sufficiently startled to swing around with the nozzle spewing petrol over the back of their car and down onto the tailpipes, then whoomph. A scary place to be.
    A very likely scenario.

That’s just payback for all the ICE vehicles parking in EV charging bays or the fact that a lot of people don’t have any consideration for anyone but themselves these days
    To be fair, it is generally the older generation who do that at my filling station, rather than EV or ICE specific, as they just don't want to walk the extra 4m from the regular parking spaces - which basically reinforces your second point!