closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    That works well. Thanks.
    Try googling, "sub ohm vaping chart", then go to the axis with resistance of your coil in ohms and read across to the preferred wattage selection, normally in the middle of the green section, if you then look up to the other axis it gives you the volts that your mod should be operating at for that wattage. These things are subjective but it gives you a ball-park figure and confirms whether you are on the right track or not and helps your understanding of what your mod is doing.

He's not sub homing though , or is the chart generic for all vaping?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Sorry I assumed he would have the sub ohm coils in the kit? If not just google, " vaping wattage chart", pick any of theses for above one ohm resistance coils. I am not really into straight to lung (and sub ohms) but they appear to be the latest thing and trendy. I prefer mouth to lung (with the airflow turned down and a 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coil fitted). If you prefer to reproduce what you were experiencing with a cigarette then try mouth to lung.(You don't use nearly as much juice either).

Ah, I think you are talking about Si's post, I was referring to el marinero. Not tried the sub ohm route myself yet, I'm trying not to go too far down the rabbit hole that it would inevitably become!
    Cheers..
    Jase

No, I was referring to el Marinero's post as well. I was wrong, I thought his tank used sub ohm coils but they are listed as 1.6 or 1.8 ohm. So "vaping wattage chart" would be worth a look.

This may be helpful to some: http://www.steam-engine.org/
    Last edited by millie-mail; 28th October 2016 at 11:32.

Quote Originally Posted by millie-mail View Post
    Sorry I assumed he would have the sub ohm coils in the kit? If not just google, " vaping wattage chart", pick any of theses for above one ohm resistance coils. I am not really into straight to lung (and sub ohms) but they appear to be the latest thing and trendy. I prefer mouth to lung (with the airflow turned down and a 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coil fitted). If you prefer to reproduce what you were experiencing with a cigarette then try mouth to lung.(You don't use nearly as much juice either).
    The Nautilus Mini can use sub-ohm coils, yes. So if I've got this right, the advantage to sub-ohm coils is that because the resistance is low you can put more power through them and therefore generate more heat and more vapour. Not sure I want to go there, you wouldn't be able to use the thing outside of the house, some of the videos I have seen of these guys, well, you'd scare kids out on the high street.

So I am happy now with between 7 and 8 watts which doesn't generate too much vapour and feels more like dragging on a ciggie.

Would there be any advantage in setting the mod output in volts (corresponding would be about 3.7 volts)? This would then be the same voltage each time I press the button as opposed to the mod calculating the voltage to achieve my desired 7 watts. Why does the watts option exist, does the reistance of the coil change with use? Or is it to stop people frying their coils with incorrect volt settings?

Learning quickly with all your help, thanks.

Just ordered this

Looking forward to testing the wattage and voltage with the Nautilus Mini – start low and work up I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just ordered this

Looking forward to testing the wattage and voltage with the Nautilus Mini – start low and work up I guess.
    Been looking at this one myself for my next upgrade.

Would be very interested to know how you get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    The Nautilus Mini can use sub-ohm coils, yes. So if I've got this right, the advantage to sub-ohm coils is that because the resistance is low you can put more power through them and therefore generate more heat and more vapour. Not sure I want to go there, you wouldn't be able to use the thing outside of the house, some of the videos I have seen of these guys, well, you'd scare kids out on the high street.

So I am happy now with between 7 and 8 watts which doesn't generate too much vapour and feels more like dragging on a ciggie.

Would there be any advantage in setting the mod output in volts (corresponding would be about 3.7 volts)? This would then be the same voltage each time I press the button as opposed to the mod calculating the voltage to achieve my desired 7 watts. Why does the watts option exist, does the reistance of the coil change with use? Or is it to stop people frying their coils with incorrect volt settings?

Learning quickly with all your help, thanks.
    There are many ways to explain this and different people understand it and remember it in different ways. There was a time when some devices had vv but no vw. If you think of vv as a more manual way of controlling the heat output at the coil, then vw is a more automated way. We alter the heat output at the coil to produce flavour and vapour and throat hit to suit us, given that juice being used and the coil are constants. Once we get a heat setting we like we stop adjusting.
    If we are using VV and we put in a coil of a different resistance we would have to alter our voltage to attain our preferred heat.
    If we are using VW and we put in a coil of a different resistance the device adjusts V and A automatically to attain our preferred heat.
    That is the theory and to help remember it you could test it out on your device.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm back on the vaping again.
    Kanger kbox 200 set to 9.5 watts, nautilus tank and 1.8 liquid.

Also got an eleaf istick tc40w and another nautilus as backup.

Apparently I'm a mouth to lung smoker type vaper so can't do some massive cloud forming high ohm straight to lung kit thing because 1.8 nicotine would hurt.

Eeh its all changed since the first time round.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0832kq6

R4 'Alan Carr' programme … scroll forward to 12 minutes for an interesting argument ref nicotine replacement.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I'm back on the vaping again.
    Kanger kbox 200 set to 9.5 watts, nautilus tank and 1.8 liquid.

Also got an eleaf istick tc40w and another nautilus as backup.

Apparently I'm a mouth to lung smoker type vaper so can't do some massive cloud forming high ohm straight to lung kit thing because 1.8 nicotine would hurt.

Eeh its all changed since the first time round.
    The higher the wattage lower the nicotine otherwise you'll probably end up with a bitch of a headache too, but my opinion of the ohm is that it's unnecessary all l look for is a decent tank and battery that gives out a decent vape and keeps me off the ciggies, l have sub tanks here l've never even used.

Ideally l find 1.2 at 13-15 watts ideal and l don't really see the benefit of the sub ohm thing unless your into cloud chasing. currently l'm using a coolfire lV with an aspire triton 2 tank on 13watts and find it an excellent set up.
    Last edited by the big fella; 23rd November 2016 at 03:03.

I'm not really a cloud chaser, but I've been looking to upgrade my current kit for a little while and fancied giving sub-ohm a go, so I've just ordered a Smok Alien kit, along with the top-filling 6ml TFV8 Beast tank. Does anyone here have experience of these?

Master
    Wow, just read a few posts from this thread, it's a whole new language!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Been off the smokes 4 weeks, been using an Innokin endurance t18 with great success. Have not thought about a smoke since switching. Interested in what others move onto. Never tried the sub ohm stuff. Currently using 18 and 12mg liquids.

Master
    Its been 6 weeks since I last vaped or smoked.

A few weeks ago after a particularly stressful day I gave in and bought 10 Marlboro lights.

They remained unopened for 2 days until I threw them in the bin. I no longer have any desire to smoke under any circumstances.

I totally put this down to having switched to an evape 2 years ago then gradually weaned myself off of it.

Thanks Evape

Unfortunately I now drink a bottle of whisky a day since quitting

I moved on and quit smoking by 'autosuggestion'. After writing down all the reasons why I should quit, I allocated 10 minutes every day, to reading and repeating the reasons … over and over again … and for several weeks. And also told myself I'd quit on a specific day several weeks hence. When that day arrived I was ready to quit and had also 'suggested' to myself there would be no withdrawal symptoms. I stopped on that designated day and experienced no cravings - and haven't smoked for 26 years. If I can do it then anyone else should be able to do the same. Why not give it a try and set a target to quit e.g. on a convenient day after Christmas? Could be your best ever achievement and would likely improve your health, increase your lifespan, and ££enable you to enjoy more of life's pleasures.

dunk

In January 2010 I had a large pulmonary embolism (blood clot on lung) as a result of deep vein thrombosis. I started using E-cigs within weeks of this, and after three months I ran out of the oil and never bothered either smoking tobacco or E-cigs again.
    This is after being a up to 40 a day smoker, and regular smoker since 1973. Never had the urge to start again, I put this down to the E-cigs.

It's been a while since I visited this thread, so an update on progress......

Mrs Mouse and I haven't touched a cig for well over a year now. We're both down to a 6mg juice, from starting at 18mg, and I would imagine that in due course we'll be on zero - at which point, total quitting could well be on the cards. We may just end up sucking on an empty e-cig with a flat battery.........daft no doubt, but I'll settle for that!

Interestingly enough, as we've gone down onto lower mixes, it's then been impossible to tolerate the last higher one anymore.

So, all going well

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It's been a while since I visited this thread, so an update on progress......

Mrs Mouse and I haven't touched a cig for well over a year now. We're both down to a 6mg juice, from starting at 18mg, and I would imagine that in due course we'll be on zero - at which point, total quitting could well be on the cards. We may just end up sucking on an empty e-cig with a flat battery.........daft no doubt, but I'll settle for that!

Interestingly enough, as we've gone down onto lower mixes, it's then been impossible to tolerate the last higher one anymore.

So, all going well
    Well done and look forward to hearing that you've achieved your 'zero' target. Although vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes, the nicotine will still result in an adrenaline rush - which is addictive. We all need adrenaline but too much can be harmful because it increases blood pressure.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Well done and look forward to hearing that you've achieved your 'zero' target. Although vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes, the nicotine will still result in an adrenaline rush - which is addictive. We all need adrenaline but too much can be harmful because it increases blood pressure.

dunk
    Thanks dunk.

To be completely nicotine free is the next major hurdle/goal, but we've done very well so far considering we've both smoked for years (in my case getting on for 40!! - I often think I'm damn lucky to still be alive given all the crap I've inhaled in that time). I'll probably get off them altogether and keel over.......such is life

As for needing an adrenaline rush........I can get than from looking in SC

Onward :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks dunk.

To be completely nicotine free is the next major hurdle/goal, but we've done very well so far considering we've both smoked for years (in my case getting on for 40!! - I often think I'm damn lucky to still be alive given all the crap I've inhaled in that time). I'll probably get off them altogether and keel over.......such is life

As for needing an adrenaline rush........I can get than from looking in SC

Onward :-)
    When I smoked (well over 40 a day - and 26 years ago), whenever i was in a stressful situation e.g. before making a speech or if i wanted to ask a lady for a date, my heart would 'race'. On one occasion I thought I was experiencing a heart attack after confronting a hooligan neighbour - my heart was racing so fast - and likely compounded by me chain smoking both during and after the experience. I thought I needed a fag to tackle the neighbour. After quitting smoking I noticed that I was able to deal with stressful situations without any noticeable 'heart racing'; being nicotine-free opened up new experiences and enabled completion of challenges that I'd previously avoided. Quitting the nicotine habit was and still is my finest achievement. I was subjected to tobacco smoke (and thus nicotine) from birth i.e. my father's smoking and now realise that inhalation of his s/h smoke compromised all our family members' health; my mother and my sister and brother all suffered. When I was child aged 14 years I experienced severe headaches caused by blocked/infected sinuses; hospital outpatient treatment involved drilling into the sinus bone via my nostrils and inserting a tube - via which the sinuses were pumped out every week over several appointments. At the time there was no 'dangers of tobacco smoke' awareness - but I now realise that years of s/h smoke inhalation compromised my respiratory system's functioning. Adults should not smoke in the presence of children - but many still do.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 22nd December 2016 at 14:12.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    I'm not really a cloud chaser, but I've been looking to upgrade my current kit for a little while and fancied giving sub-ohm a go, so I've just ordered a Smok Alien kit, along with the top-filling 6ml TFV8 Beast tank. Does anyone here have experience of these?

SMOK Alien is a great bit of kit (apart from the paint chipping on earlier models). I have had more expensive and cheaper mods - and still prefer the alien over all others. SMOK seem to be leading the market at the moment, I was an avid fan of the Innokin stuff previously. Personally i prefer the Cleito tank (original, not cleito 120). The Cleito doesn't produce the vapour (clouds) like the TFV8 does, but also doesn't use as much e-juice either.

I started vaping many years ago, and have been on again/off again kind of thing. I still have an urge for analogues, but a few minutes vaping soon takes this away (nicotine hit). Recently started back in the gym and have also noticed i don't get out of breath as quickly as I once used to.

Yes, it's easily the best of the few mods I've had, but the TFV8 does tear through the juice and (mine at least) is prone to the occasional leak, for no obvious reason.

I've also had problems with the top seal on this tank expanding over time, to the point where it no longer sits properly in its seat and jams up the filler cap, preventing it from closing. Replacement seals seem pretty hard to come by, to boot.

On the plus side, though, the T8-V8 coils I use with it seem to last for ages, and on the whole I'm pretty happy with this set-up.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Cleito - I'll look into that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Cleito - I'll look into that.
    I've been using the Cleito for a long time now and for me it's the best tank on the market. 0.4 colis at 40-42w.

Journeyman
    From my perspective, the alien does it all - until you start going to mech mods and 'self buld' coils etc - none of which i do. I wasn't aware of the leak issue with any of TFV8's really. Although, do be careful some SMOK tank coils are becoming difficult in supply and as such prices are rising (this has happened in the last 3-4 weeks).

I would suggest (if you haven't done so already) look to get yourself an external charger for the 18650 - i recently bought a XTAR VC2 Plus master, charges pretty quick. Charging via usb on the alien takes forever.

The Cleito (as petewon has said) works well with the 0.4 coils (I tend to get the SS316L 0.4 ohm coils and vape at about 55W). I find them best balanced with flavour/cloud production. This is in comparison to the 0.2 ohm coil which i have tried an deveryone i know who has a clieto sticks with 0.4ohm coils. However, I have had some coils burn out quite quickly in a recent pack of 5 coils, 1 produced a burnt taste after about 5 days - although there are other variables involved such as type of liquids used etc and I was vaping a lot that week!. Typically otherwise i get approximately 2 weeks out of a coil.
    Last edited by eternalife; 31st January 2017 at 21:10.

Master
    Just like to say that since switching to an evape about 4 years ago and having the odd relapse to the fags once in a blue moon , I'm now off both the evape and the cigs for 5 months. The evape was definitely instrumental in gettimg me off the cigs.

Master
    I quit at 40-60 a day many years ago before vaping was invented. It all seems very technical. Can't imagine what state I'd be in if I was still puffing.
    Just as a matter of interest, can you put anything in these devices? even naughty stuff?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I quit at 40-60 a day many years ago before vaping was invented. It all seems very technical. Can't imagine what state I'd be in if I was still puffing.
    Just as a matter of interest, can you put anything in these devices? even naughty stuff?
    commonly oil is extracted from weed and then mixed with VG to give a hit, another I have heard of is crushed crack cocaine set in a VG Nicotine mix, and smoked, I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    commonly oil is extracted from weed and then mixed with VG to give a hit, another I have heard of is crushed crack cocaine set in a VG Nicotine mix, and smoked, I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work
    Commonly?
    Doesn't it still stink when puffed or whatever you call it?
    I had to google VG btw.
    All new to me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Commonly?
    Doesn't it still stink when puffed or whatever you call it?
    I had to google VG btw.
    All new to me.
    yes it smells the same, although you can mix 'flavours' with it to disguise the smell

it can be done with no smell for the naughty smoke :wink:

Master
    I’m getting bored with flavours in general. Partly because I find it difficult to find anything that I like, and partly because of my (unfounded) suspicions that vaping some of these flavours might not be safe.

I’ve ordered some nicotine base to see what it is like - apparently it’s quite vapable and slightly sweet without added flavour, is this so?

- - - Updated - - -

I’m getting bored with flavours in general. Partly because I find it difficult to find anything that I like, and partly because of my (unfounded) suspicions that vaping some of these flavours might not be safe.

I’ve ordered some nicotine base to see what it is like - apparently it’s quite vapable and slightly sweet without added flavour, is this so?

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post

- - - Updated - - -

depending on the quality of the nic base it is vapeable on its own. and i know a few who do this. I've done it myself, and its fine. there is some peppery taste no lower quality nic which might not agree with you so get the best quality nic you can find, which is only going to become more difficult in the coming months

I had smoked a pack of 20 a day for over 20 years-
    not touched a fag now for 5 months-- no vape or patches-nothing-
    just cold turkey and after just a day or two it was easy.......wish I'd done it ages ago.
    It's all in the head, you don't need nicotine replacements when you are truly ready to quit.
    And Marlboro now 50p a cigarette- ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I had smoked a pack of 20 a day for over 20 years-
    not touched a fag now for 5 months-- no vape or patches-nothing-
    just cold turkey and after just a day or two it was easy.......wish I'd done it ages ago.
    It's all in the head, you don't need nicotine replacements when you are truly ready to quit.
    And Marlboro now 50p a cigarette- ridiculous.
    Well done! I managed to quit 'cold turkey' too - but prepared for the day when I knew I'd be able to stop. Those who vape are still nicotine addicts but also appear addicted to all the hardware paraphernalia required to get their 'fix' / 'adrenalin rush'. The vaping culture is lining manufacturers' and retailers' pockets.

dunk

Well, I hit the 9-month mark last Friday (haven't had a single cigarette in that time, and I seem to have settled on (for me) a perfect combo of the eLeaf iStick Power (an 80w box mod with a huge 5000mAh capacity via an internal battery); coupled with an Aspire Cleito tank. There's almost nothing I'd criticise about this set-up save for two very small niggles. Firstly, the iPower charging port is on the bottom of the unit; and secondly, if the coil goes on the Ceito the tank has to be emptied in order to change it. Save for those very minor irritations this is giving lovely flavour and loads of cloud.

I've also got a smaller and more pocketable alternative to the above in the Apollo Portal. This is a conventional self-adjusting battery with a maximum output of 50w and a capacity of 1900mAh, and the kit comes with really nice tank with a maximum 3ml capacity (so an excellent choice if you're nipping out for the evening and want something small and light).

Between these two, actually, I can't see that I'll need to spend any more money on alternative set-ups. Mind you, that doesn't mean that I wont
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th February 2017 at 08:27.

Talking of tanks, just bought the Mrs a Nautilus X after she dropped and broke her Aspire Triton, the X is really nice, top full so easy to use but as with most new tanks it's only 2ml which is a bit limiting. We've both got Coolfire IV batteries which are proving to be nice and reliable with great life between charges.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Talking of tanks, just bought the Mrs a Nautilus X after she dropped and broke her Aspire Triton, the X is really nice, top full so easy to use but as with most new tanks it's only 2ml which is a bit limiting. We've both got Coolfire IV batteries which are proving to be nice and reliable with great life between charges.
    Yes, it's definitely the right time to stock up on a few spare tanks, Jase!

Indeed Tony, I just can't see the rational over the new rules on limiting tank sizes!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Indeed Tony, I just can't see the rational over the new rules on limiting tank sizes!
    It's worse than that, as I think we'll only be able to buy 10ml bottles of juice too. Seems daft to me.

you can get a 4ml tank here

http://www.ivapour.co.uk/cartomisers...apter-kit.html

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It's worse than that, as I think we'll only be able to buy 10ml bottles of juice too. Seems daft to me.
    thats correct and only in 18mg strength. but there is a few companies that have already had all their liquids tested and had them passed as safe and can apply to sell multi-packs 5x10ml bottles. here is a couple

https://thedruidsbrew.co.uk

https://houseofliquid.com

i have no affiliation with either of these companies

but have met the owner of druids brew through vape forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gestarp View Post
    Thank you.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    what new rules?..

Journeyman
    Been off the smokes since October. I have settled on a coolfire 4 with the tank from the innokin T18. Juice wise I have tried loads and now just stick to one juice all the time, its 12mg ry4 (tobacco, caramel and vanilla). I get it from here

http://www.onepoundeliquid.com/

Unsurprisingly, all flavours and strengths are £1 for 10ml

Master
    I’ve switched to flavourless nicotine base, 1.2%, 50% PG, and I am very happy with it. It’s quite pleasant to vape - vaguely sweet but almost neutral, no aftertaste at all. Throat hit is good, perhaps better than flavoured e-liquids of the same strength, and it feels as if there is more nicotine.

I’m really glad to have chucked the flavoured stuff in the bin. The safety of the flavourings used seems uncertain and it never sat well with me.

I’m using a Nautilus X with a 4 ml tank.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerBabz View Post
    what new rules?..
    The one I was referring to was the new 2ml tank one.

https://cigelectric.co.uk/tpd-vaping...7-regulations/
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I’ve switched to flavourless nicotine base, 1.2%, 50% PG, and I am very happy with it. It’s quite pleasant to vape - vaguely sweet but almost neutral, no aftertaste at all. Throat hit is good, perhaps better than flavoured e-liquids of the same strength, and it feels as if there is more nicotine.

I’m really glad to have chucked the flavoured stuff in the bin. The safety of the flavourings used seems uncertain and it never sat well with me.

I’m using a Nautilus X with a 4 ml tank.
    Where are you getting the flavourless stuff from?