closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Results 1,001 to 1,045 of 1045

Thread: Smokers - the greatest invention ever in history, ever, ever

Is vaping addictive? I can't for the life of me see the point of vaping as a recreational activity. The only positive to vaping that I can see is as a means to wean yourself off the ciggies if you don't have the willpower to simply stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    But you're still addicted ... You're an addict ... addicted to nicotine ... Win for the vape manufacturer
    Correct on all counts, but enjoying it and doing myself far less harm at much lower cost than before.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Correct on all counts, but enjoying it and doing myself far less harm at much lower cost than before.
    I enjoyed my vaping. A holiday in Thailand where it is illegal forced me to go cold turkey for 2 weeks or start smoking again.

After the 2 weeks I didn’t need my vape any more, so didn’t use it once I was home. Cured of the addiction. Worked out really well for me.

Reviewing this thread, I notice that it is nearly 11 years ago that I started vaping and stopped smoking all tobacco whatsoever, and about 9 3/4 years since I stopped vaping as well.
    All prompted by this thread, which gave me the impetus (and peer endorsement) to give giving up a go.
    I am very grateful, and a lot fitter and healthier.
    Vaping provided a fantastic, lower risk alternative to smoking, one with the inbuilt ability to wean oneself off nicotine (as all the liquids could be bought in all nico concentrations, to zero).

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Is vaping addictive? I can't for the life of me see the point of vaping as a recreational activity. The only positive to vaping that I can see is as a means to wean yourself off the ciggies if you don't have the willpower to simply stop.
    Agreed.

If it weans people off being helplessly addicted to cigarettes it is a good thing but it seems many people who wouldn't think of smoking (often the young) are taking up vaping as a "cool" trend.

Forcing any type of vapour into the lungs can't do you any good IMO.

Johns Hopkins pretty much think so too.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...20you%20inhale.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I fully quit about 17 years ago and thought i had got away with it, but last year i was diagnosed with a lung disease.

Of course i cannot for sure say it was smoking but i would advise anyone here who still smokes to quit,
    it was considerably easier to quit than i thought, you just need to wait out the first stage where you feel melancholy, restless and generally unpleasant for a fairly long period but it slowly eases off and eventually starts to fade more and more.

Craftsman
    Looks like the Australian government is going to ban ‘recreational’ vaping, only allowing vapes and liquids containing nicotine to be purchased with a prescription. Personally, I understand the concerns about kids and teenagers using vapes (my sixteen year old son is just about daft enough to try it I’m sure, if he hasn’t already), but banning them will just drive the cool kids to cigarettes, which the Aussies haven’t (yet) banned… I imagine such a move will also lead to a black market of illegal vapes and liquids.

I honestly thought this thread was going to be about Smokers to cook food. I love my smoker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Here’s an earlier paper from the same scientists , published with references , not a mere study. 2015 so not like they only woke up and reacted in 2018 just to react to the flawed study.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25988311/

Again metals in evape vapour not a concern when measured with relevance.

Again no press bothers to report studies that contradict and point out flaws in studies reported in scaremongering stories.

referenced article;

Disclosure statement

In the past 36 months, two studies by KF were performed using unrestricted funds from the nonprofit association AEMSA and one study by the nonprofit association Tennessee Smoke-Free Association. BR is supported by unrestricted grants from tobacco manufacturers to the University of Louisville and by the Kentucky Research Challenge Trust Fund
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I’ll not give this up any time soon. No time for fags though.

Gents, sorry to quote myself here but I’d appreciate a bit of advice.

No, I’m not giving up my briars and meerschaums and daily intake of Virginia flake.

However I’m rethinking what I do when travelling and in need of a quick nic hit. A pipe lasts me an hour, so if I need a quick 10 minute puff I usually travel with some mini girl-sized cigars in my pocket- for preference the mini Cohibas but at a push Cafe Crème will do.

I’m thinking about getting an e-pipe vape as an alternative for those moments. If anyone can make a recommendation I’d be grateful.

And if any current or ex cigar smokers can recommend a medium-to-high nic cigar flavoured vaping fluid that tastes as close as possible to the real thing I’d be even more grateful.

Cheers.

Master
    The plain simple truth is that smoking, including substitutes, makes an acceptable smell and sets children a bad example.

If you smoke, do society a favour and pack it in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The plain simple truth is that smoking, including substitutes, makes an acceptable smell and sets children a bad example.

If you smoke, do society a favour and pack it in.
    The smell of a fine Cuban cigar is nothing like a nasty cigarette or vape. I’ve even had non smokers come up to me on holiday asking what I had as they loved the smell at an outdoor bar.

Wafts of strawberry etc are awful, but you cannot class all tobacco in the same bucket. But you will, and you are correct.

Gents, sorry to quote myself here but I’d appreciate a bit of advice.

I’m thinking about getting an e-pipe vape as an alternative for those moments. If anyone can make a recommendation I’d be grateful.

And if any current or ex cigar smokers can recommend a medium-to-high nic cigar flavoured vaping fluid that tastes as close as possible to the real thing I’d be even more grateful.

Cheers.
    I'm an ex-smoker (and ex-pipesmoker - Falcons/Petersons were my pipes of choice). Switched to vaping over ten years ago and still vape though not as much as previously. I've tried all the gear and all the best 'tobacco' flavours, 'best' meaning naturally extracted from tobacco leaves (NETs).

Sorry to say that you won't find any juices that taste exactly like tobacco. Unless you're actually burning something, the best you can do is the closest approximation which I'm willing to bet, as a new vaper, you will find tastes like bathroom cleaner sucked through a sweaty sock. Your taste buds are shot and will need time to adjust. That's why the majority of new vapers switch to fruit flavours. NETS aren't that cheap either. To find something you can even tolerate could be a long and expensive process (ask me how I know!)

I'm not trying to put you off! Au contraire, by all means give it a go, but if I were in your shoes I'd stick to the Cafe Cremes and keep some patches/nicotine gum in your pocket for emergencies.

Non smoker here.... I quite like the smell of pipe smoke and to a lesser degree cigars

However I’m rethinking what I do when travelling and in need of a quick nic hit. A pipe lasts me an hour, so if I need a quick 10 minute puff I usually travel with some mini girl-sized cigars in my pocket- for preference the mini Cohibas but at a push Cafe Crème will do.

I use tobacco snus, perfect for traveling.
    The non tobacco ones (white) which most shops sell now are ok but if you want a nice tobacco flavour get the proper ones from Sweden. Snus24 deliver to the UK, mine always get stopped at customs but then forwarded on the next day.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    One thing I noticed while spending 3 weeks Switzerland/Italy was no one using vapes. Although there were a lot more smokers. Even took me back to the old days seeing the cigarette vending machines knocking around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I'm an ex-smoker (and ex-pipesmoker - Falcons/Petersons were my pipes of choice). Switched to vaping over ten years ago and still vape though not as much as previously. I've tried all the gear and all the best 'tobacco' flavours, 'best' meaning naturally extracted from tobacco leaves (NETs).

Sorry to say that you won't find any juices that taste exactly like tobacco. Unless you're actually burning something, the best you can do is the closest approximation which I'm willing to bet, as a new vaper, you will find tastes like bathroom cleaner sucked through a sweaty sock. Your taste buds are shot and will need time to adjust. That's why the majority of new vapers switch to fruit flavours. NETS aren't that cheap either. To find something you can even tolerate could be a long and expensive process (ask me how I know!)

I'm not trying to put you off! Au contraire, by all means give it a go, but if I were in your shoes I'd stick to the Cafe Cremes and keep some patches/nicotine gum in your pocket for emergencies.
    Agree with you completely here. When I quit, went down the tobacco route flavour wise & wasted a fortune trying to find what didn’t exist, and probably still doesn’t.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agree with you completely here. When I quit, went down the tobacco route flavour wise & wasted a fortune trying to find what didn’t exist, and probably still doesn’t.
    My recommendations for non sweet flavours are things like mint , menthol , cinammon , I did find the “Digby’s” juices to be decently adult and interesting tasting , they had one that was apple/red tobacco and jasmine that was decently complex . Not sure they are still in business ,

Is the general consensus still that vapes are most likely harmful but less so than fags? Probably? Could be? Nobody knows?

I love living in a world without cigarette smoke and some of the vape vapour actually smells quite nice so selfishly I'm better off. I know a fair few mature smokers who have quit fags and gone onto vapes. All of them said right at the beginning that they saw vapes as a way of quitting the addiction all together but some decade or more on, all of them are still vaping. They're clearly highly addictive and are a massive, massive problem in schools. Teachers and staff I know are saying the epidemic of vaping amongst children is totally out of control.

So I guess I'm wondering, are we as a society better or worse off with vapes instead of cigarettes?

I've been quit over nine years now, I vape using zero nicotine menthol flavor which costs me about 0.50 pence a week so it has saved me a fortune as I was a 20 a day guy, i'm pretty sure my health is better.

For me the vape is more of a dummy than anything else and long may it be so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Is the general consensus still that vapes are most likely harmful but less so than fags? Probably? Could be? Nobody knows?
    Don’t think there’s any debate vape is less harmful than tobacco but what the long-term effects of (a) nicotine and (b) flavours are unknown. I heard on the radio recently that disposable vapes contain nicotine salts which are potentially more problematic especially in developing brains of adolescents.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I've been quit over nine years now, I vape using zero nicotine menthol flavor which costs me about 0.50 pence a week so it has saved me a fortune as I was a 20 a day guy, i'm pretty sure my health is better.

For me the vape is more of a dummy than anything else and long may it be so.
    I went down to zero too. It was a holiday to Thailand where it is illegal that saw me put away the sub-ohm machine and go cold turkey for 2 weeks.

Hated seeing the buggers that ignored the legality and brought their own with them, but after a few days I didn’t notice or miss the vape.

I’ve forgotten how long ago this was now, must have been 6-7 years ago now. Still not vaped or smoked since. Alas also includes my cigar collection which rarely gets smoked. Might have to put a special effort into the remaining 80 or so I have left as fancy another trip to Havana.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I stopped smoking and started vaping, did so quite happily for a couple of years then had a phase of huge stress and went back to the fags.
    Im going to try kicking the cigs in favour of vape again this week.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I heard on the radio recently that disposable vapes contain nicotine salts which are potentially more problematic especially in developing brains of adolescents.
    And they are becoming a big litter issue.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think we need to be careful of our wording. The general consensus is that vaping is most likely LESS harmful than fags, and is the number one method enabling folks to successfully give up tobacco. The NHS agrees but doesn't consider vaping to be risk free They are unable to tell us what those risks might be. I quit tobacco in favour of vaping over ten years ago and still vape but less so than in the early days. i have not suffered any ill effects at all as a consequence, nor have I heard or read of anyone having done so.
    Last edited by Geralt; 11th September 2023 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I think we need to be careful of our wording. The general consensus is that vaping is most likely LESS harmful than fags, and is the number one method enabling folks to successfully give up tobacco. The NHS agrees but doesn't consider vaping to be risk free They are unable to tell us what those risks might be. I quit tobacco in favour of vaping over ten years ago and still vape but less so than in the early days. i have not suffered any ill effects at all as a consequence, nor have I heard or read of anyone having done so.
    Lots of young people now vape and were never smokers, it's almost as if it's seen as cool somehow?.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lots of young people now vape and were never smokers, it's almost as if it's seen as cool somehow?.
    Indeed - I wonder if there are any statistics about vapes being a "gateway" to new smokers.

What's the tobacco industry's stance on vapes? Might give us a clue.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Indeed - I wonder if there are any statistics about vapes being a "gateway" to new smokers.

What's the tobacco industry's stance on vapes? Might give us a clue.
    They own the companys that make them don’t they?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I stopped smoking and started vaping, did so quite happily for a couple of years then had a phase of huge stress and went back to the fags.
    Im going to try kicking the cigs in favour of vape again this week.
    Good luck with quitting the fags again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m sure vaping isn’t risk free, but I’ve been cigarette free for many years, I do vape a lot more than I used to smoke but on balance I’m sure it’s the lesser of two evils, one thing about the juice though, there are a awful lot of cheap unregulated juice sold cheaply that I’m sure has been mixed who knows where containing who knows what, always buy decent quality juice from a retail shop and not the market or car boot sales.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    They own the companys that make them don’t they?
    BAT (British Associated Tobacco) are one of many manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I’m sure vaping isn’t risk free, but I’ve been cigarette free for many years, I do vape a lot more than I used to smoke but on balance I’m sure it’s the lesser of two evils, one thing about the juice though, there are a awful lot of cheap unregulated juice sold cheaply that I’m sure has been mixed who knows where containing who knows what, always buy decent quality juice from a retail shop and not the market or car boot sales.
    Talking a a Dr mate, he says that the medical people are worried that the issue with vapes is that it has huge potential to be a 'at hand, readily available' fix - unlike cigarettes. People who vape that I know often seem to be always taking a drag where's a smoker will go and have a fag and then move on.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 12th September 2023 at 08:51.

Master
    Watching my father smoke all the money that came into our house was the best incentive for me to never smoke. Ive never even tried one (or a vape)

Master
    And they are becoming a big litter issue.
    That’s one reason I switched away from disposable vapes. Another reason was that disposables cost more.
    You can get a rechargeable stick from shops like VPZ for a few quid, and refill the pods many times.
    They do most of the same flavours as those Elf bars in 50ml refill bottles for £8.99 which last an absolute age.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    That’s one reason I switched away from disposable vapes. Another reason was that disposables cost more.
    You can get a rechargeable stick from shops like VPZ for a few quid, and refill the pods many times.
    They do most of the same flavours as those Elf bars in 50ml refill bottles for £8.99 which last an absolute age.
    And (of course) disposables add batteries into the waste stream, another big issue.

Former me:

The "new" me:

Talking a a Dr mate, he says that the medical people are worried that the issue with vapes is that it has huge potential to be a 'at hand, readily available' fix - unlike cigarettes. People who vape that I know often seem to be always taking a drag where's a smoker will go and have a fag and then move on.
    Thats certainly true, however, when you smoke a cigarette, you are forced to smoke the whole thing, whereas with a vape, you can have one puff here and there. I see that as a benefit, not a drawback, I understand the point, vaping is easy to do unlike smoking these days, kids have always smoked behind the bike sheds to be the cool kids, its the same for vapes now but now its easily hidden from teachers and parents, no lingering smells to give you away. On a side note, I was behind someone in the petrol garage the other day, she bought a packet of Lamberts, I was absolutely shocked as to how expensive they had gotten, £16.50 for a pack! I had no idea.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thank you for the practical suggestions to my “travel nicotine” question.

I’ve been evaluating a couple of the disposable options- so far a couple of the Elf Bars and a tobacco/vanilla Killa Switch.

I’m entirely unimpressed by the Elfs. They come in a range of lurid colours and sickly sweet synthetic fruity flavours. I can only conclude that they are intentionally targeting kids. I found that I have to do an awful lot of sucking for little if any nicotine effect, so they seem pointless too.

The Killa is definitely better, both flavour and nicotine wise. Even so you really have to suck whatever they produce into your lungs and hold it there for any real effect.

In contrast I’ve just had my morning bowl of Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake. An absolute avalanche of rich and complex flavours and plenty of Vitamin N even though it only gets swirled around my mouth and nasal passages and doesn’t get fully inhaled.

Serious pipe smoking (and cigar smoking) is a very different thing from fags where the user is inhaling combustion products in abundance with every use.

I’ve never liked cigarettes - I don’t trust the additives used to keep them burning and inhaled smoke can’t be a good thing, plus they have no flavour and smell nothing like good cigars or pipe tobacco, which I believe are generally far better produced niche products.

I will continue to evaluate the vapes as a travel/outdoor alternative to the baby cigars. But the bloke who mentioned snus has definitely piqued my interest too, I must say.

I’ve been evaluating a couple of the disposable options- so far a couple of the Elf Bars and a tobacco/vanilla Killa Switch.

I’m entirely unimpressed by the Elfs. They come in a range of lurid colours and sickly sweet synthetic fruity flavours. I can only conclude that they are intentionally targeting kids. I found that I have to do an awful lot of sucking for little if any nicotine effect, so they seem pointless too.

The Killa is definitely better, both flavour and nicotine wise. Even so you really have to suck whatever they produce into your lungs and hold it there for any real effect.

In contrast I’ve just had my morning bowl of Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake. An absolute avalanche of rich and complex flavours and plenty of Vitamin N even though it only gets swirled around my mouth and nasal passages and doesn’t get fully inhaled.

Serious pipe smoking (and cigar smoking) is a very different thing from fags where the user is inhaling combustion products in abundance with every use.

I’ve never liked cigarettes - I don’t trust the additives used to keep them burning and inhaled smoke can’t be a good thing, plus they have no flavour and smell nothing like good cigars or pipe tobacco, which I believe are generally far better produced niche products.

I will continue to evaluate the vapes as a travel/outdoor alternative to the baby cigars. But the bloke who mentioned snus has definitely piqued my interest too, I must say.
    Many pipe / cigar smokers are under a misapprehension that they're not bathing their upper respiratory system in all the same / similar carcinogens present in cigarette tobaccos – they are wrong: https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessat...n%20nonsmokers.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Many pipe / cigar smokers are under a misapprehension that they're not bathing their upper respiratory system in all the same / similar carcinogens present in cigarette tobaccos – they are wrong: https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessat...n%20nonsmokers.
    That’s a disingenuous article, in that it fails to acknowledge the differing levels of risk associated with pipe or cigar use versus cigarette use, as well as the differing nature of additives used in pipe tobacco.

There’s a more balanced view here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16884817/

Furthermore, and given that money talks and insurance companies are unwilling to pay out any more than they have to, it is notable that in some countries where pipe smoking is more common (although it is increasingly a minority activity anywhere), those who partake are treated as lower risk than cigarette smokers.

Yes, there are risks associated with all kinds of tobacco consumption along with alcohol, foods and the entire gamut of human activity. Thankfully adults in a more-or-less free society do still have some discretion to carry out their own risk assessments.

That’s a disingenuous article, in that it fails to acknowledge the differing levels of risk associated with pipe or cigar use versus cigarette use, as well as the differing nature of additives used in pipe tobacco.

There’s a more balanced view here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16884817/

Furthermore, and given that money talks and insurance companies are unwilling to pay out any more than they have to, it is notable that in some countries where pipe smoking is more common (although it is increasingly a minority activity anywhere), those who partake are treated as lower risk than cigarette smokers.

Yes, there are risks associated with all kinds of tobacco consumption along with alcohol, foods and the entire gamut of human activity. Thankfully adults in a more-or-less free society do still have some discretion to carry out their own risk assessments.
    Titty bottles!!
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

What mg were the elf bars you tried out of interest? They do 0, 10 & 20.
    My wife’s uses the 20 and it gives me a head buzz. I was using 10mg previously but have now gone down to 3mg elf juice on my rechargeable.
    I find I don’t need to ‘suck’ too hard on my rechargeable either (it’s an AEQ 2.0).
    I was thinking about getting a vape pipe as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    What mg were the elf bars you tried out of interest? They do 0, 10 & 20.
    My wife’s uses the 20 and it gives me a head buzz. I was using 10mg previously but have now gone down to 3mg elf juice on my rechargeable.
    I find I don’t need to ‘suck’ too hard on my rechargeable either (it’s an AEQ 2.0).
    I was thinking about getting a vape pipe as a backup.
    They were the 20 Elf Bars. Compared to a bowl of a medium strength pipe tobacco like my Marlin, Gowrie or Full Virginia, let alone something heavier like the mighty Condor, they seemed pretty nic-light.

Apprentice
    I think vaping is pretty cool, way better than old-school smoking for sure. Ever since I switched to vaping, I've been having a better time because it feels cleaner and there are so many fun flavors to try. I don't stick to just one kind of vape; I like mixing it up and trying new stuff all the time, thanks to the huge selection at Nexus Smoke products. They've got loads of options, so I'm always finding something new to keep things interesting. Vaping has definitely been a big win for me, making the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. Nexus Smoke products help keep my vaping game fresh and exciting.
    Last edited by keiron99; 18th March 2024 at 21:17.

Does anyone know if there are any hacked accounts on the forum....... asking for a friend?