Just acquired this Seiko quartz clock and the chime and strike work when tested ie when the AM and PM buttons are pressed. However, I cannot make the chime and strike work on the quarters and hour when the movement is running- they seem to be turned off but I cannot find any on/off switch . The only controls on the movement are (from the top, clockwise) : switch between Whittington and Westminster chimes, AM & PM buttons , Start and Stop switch (which zeros the seconds hand and stops the clock) , hands turn button, and volume.

Movement caliber is QF144S but I cannot find any references to it on the net.

I have searched the net for Seiko quartz chiming clock instructions but none traced so far explain how to switch on the chime and strike .

Pressing (beeping) the AM or PM buttons 'X' times makes the strike sound 'X' times. Switching the chime works on test - but the clock is silent when the movement is operating.

I suspect that maybe the AM & PM buttons might need pressing in a certain sequence to activate the chime and strike on the hours and quarters??

Any assistance would be appreciated.

It's a very nice clock - well made and a good weight - and I'd like to hear it chime.

Thanks

dunk