closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What travel watch for a year off?

Journeyman

What travel watch for a year off?

Gents,

Any ideas? I am after a watch to go travelling with for a year, (I am taking voluntary redundancy from Banking) needs to be inexpensive, say £200 max, waterproof, tough and automatic.

Any ideas?

I was thinking a Seiko SKX.........what do you think? Anything better?

Cheers.

Re: What travel watch for a year off?

Got to be a seiko

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorG
    Gents,

Any ideas? I am after a watch to go travelling with for a year, (I am taking voluntary redundancy from Banking) needs to be inexpensive, say £200 max, waterproof, tough and automatic.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
    EDIT: Didn't see the automatic bit...sorry!

A fair few of Trasers' line up fit the bill I think:

http://www.traserh3watches.com

I'd go with a Seiko diver. It's robust enough to take whatever you throw at it, but not too expensive so as to get the wrong sort of attention.

A Seiko diver sounds ideal. I would go for the monster personally.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

The first thing that came to my mind was a Seiko Monster as well.....fits the bill,tough as old boots...sorted!

I've just bought the SKX007 for £130 (new) can't think how anything could better it for the money.

Wear and forget and no big deal if it gets bashed, lost or stolen.

A few options options spring to mind:
    (1) Seiko SNZH55K1 or SNZH53 (black and blue versions)
    (2) As the others stated: Seiko Monster
    (3) Orient Mako

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorG
    Gents,

Any ideas?

Not a bad idea, although almost no Seiko 5s are handwind-able. Quartz is also more rufty-tufty, depending on your expected activities. But you could look at one or two Citizen Promasters; a few are available with automatic movements, all with screw-down crowns and can be handwound.

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Thanks.

Traser is an interesting option as are the Citizens.....thanks.

Not a fan of the Monster, I know many love them but I don't like the "modern" styling.

If it hadn't been for the automatic part I'd have said a Citizen Skyhawk was the perfect travel watch.

Master

its already been said, but I am in the Seiko SKX crowd - you cant go wrong

Craftsman

Hi

I know you said auto but if I was traveling I would get a Mutlifuction watch like the Casio Pro Trek PRW-2000T-7ER
    Will do the job great: alarms, light, compass, etc all will help along the way :D

Main Features

Multi Band 6 Radio Controlled
    A built-in radio signal receiver ensures that the exact time is displayed across Europe, The United States and Japan AND China.

Solar Power
    A Solar cell provides power for operation.

Auto Illuminator
    An electro-luminescent panel causes the entire face to glow for easy reading. Auto light automatically turns on the illuminator when the watch is tilted towards your face for reading.

Digital Compass
    A built-in direction sensor detects magnetic north

Barometer
    A built-in pressure sensor measures barometric pressure, which is shown on the display.

Thermometer
    A sensor measures the ambient temperature around the watch and displays it in °C (-10°C /+60°C)

Altimeter
    A pressure sensor detects changes in the air pressure and converts the result into an altitude up to 10,000 m.

World Time
    Displays the current time in major cities and specific areas around the world.

Sunrise / Sunset Function
    Sunrise and Sunset times are displayed based on your current latitude and longitude.

Stopwatch
    Accurate measurement of elapsed time with a touch of a button

Countdown Timer
    A stopwatch that counts backwards: When 0 minutes, 0 seconds is reached, the timer emits a 10-second signal tone.

5 Daily Alarms
    The daily alarm reminds you about recurring events with an acoustic signal at the time you have set. You can also activate hourly time signals (each hour). This model has 5 independent alarms.

Hourly time signals
    The Hourly time signal causes the watch to beep every hour on the hour.

Low Temperature Resistant
    The timekeeping module is designed for operation at very low temperatures. The value indicates the lowest temperature at which the module will operate.

Water Resistant
    100 Metre / 10 Bar , 10 Bar Water Resistant means that the module is also suitable for swimming or snorkelling

Journeyman

+1 for the Protrek...

Great for checking what time it is at home for those update calls & will do everything else too 8)

Journeyman

Like the Protreks but I already have a Suunto Observer, and maybe its just me, but I find it very complicated to use and so I don't use any of the functions.

Maybe I am just thick........

PRS-25 Everest. Put shoulderless springbars on (take a few spares in case :wink:), fit a Nato (take a couple of different colours for variation and keeping clean rotation), then when you get back polish it up, refit still new bracelet and you have a "new" watch to wear or sell and get most of your money back.
    F.T.F.A.

I am using a Suunto. Compass comes in handy when you are out in the sticks (or try to navigate a local market...)

How about an O&W if you can find one, especially one of the divers with a 12 hour bezel.

regards,
    Nick

Craftsman

I took my SInn U1 when I went on an extended wander, after getting into a few scrapes in Colombia (me not the watch) - I swapped it for my orange monster on a short trip back home. Throw a handful of NATOs in your bag..... job, jobbed

Blog Entries

Go for Eddie's Everest 8)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

If it was me, I'd go for a Seiko or Citizen (hand-wind might be useful on occasion). But I'd also take a G-Shock for backup, time zones and for time corrections.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

G-shock mudman ? Or any other 'atomic' G-shocks.

G-Shocks are the best travel watches. All the important features, including multiple alarms, tough enough that they can take anything you can, and affordable enough that you never have to worry about them. Since this will be literally your only watch (good luck with that :lol: ) I would recommend one of the steel cased ana-digi versions so you can wear it to dinner, and bars in nice hotels, and still look smart.

Apprentice

My ultimate travelwatch is a Casio G-Shock Riseman, with altitude and baro.

One more vote for the Gshocks, very capable and no worries about getting mugged either.

A Riseman might be a good call then: it is really easy to do home time/here time without pressing lots of buttons. And you could afford to have one and maybe a nice Seiko 5 for dressier things, all for your budget (easy if you buy one on SC).

Craftsman

What is the reasoning for going Auto?

I'd say a traser for sure. It tells the time & date, is water-proof and glows in the dark, and most importantly (for me) isn't huge on your wrist... There's no doubt G-Shock are MUCH better value for money, but personally I find them far too big, never use the features, and in countries where it's going to be very hot they do get very sweaty and uncomfortable. Take a few spare nato's with the traser and just bin and replace them when they get manky!

Master

Seiko Monster

If you could find an amazing discount on a watch like a Hamilton Khaki that would also be good.

Personally, I'd go automaic Citizen over automatic Seiko if you're going for a diver style.

______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    Personally, I'd go automaic Citizen over automatic Seiko if you're going for a diver style.

Absolutely. They're great.

Mine says hello :D

why auto? go 6900 solar atomic on bracelet anytime
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman

A used Steinhart Vintage Red.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get one just within budget.

Another vote for the Smiths Everest from me.

Another vote for the Smiths Everest from me.

Journeyman

TBH If you are travelling for a year, i'd say g shock and let it live in your rucksack most of the time. Live simple

I would go for either a Smiths Everest with a few natos / zulus or a G-Shock Riseman.

Not automatic I know, but I agree with many of the above posts that G Shocks are pretty much unbeatable for travelling.
    Solar powered, radio controlled, world time zones, waterproof etc etc.

Obviously no idea what sort of travelling you intend to do, assume from your initial post more likely to be backpacking than the Orient Express. As such I'd probably suggest going with something like a G-Shock GW-M5600. Simple, reliable and low key. Sure a Seiko 007 would be more than able to able to take any abuse, however bare in mind a smart looking silver divers watch may get you attention you might not 100% want. Whatever you decide on would also probably suggest going with resin or stainless bracelet esp if you plan on going swimming with the watch. FWIW when I did similar a long time ago now I took a quartz animal watch which was more than adequate, the main issue was the fabric strap wan't great after a year away....

PRS-18Q

Go anywhere, do anything watch.

Master

I'd go with the quartz vs auto crowd - especially if you get either a solar powered Casio or one of the long life (8-10 year) Seiko quartz divers. I'd recommend the ana-digital Casio GW-2500 which would be pretty much perfect for that sort of trip, or the Seiko SBCM023 which is slightly smaller and therefore less conspicuous than the Monsters, etc. In any case, I'd take a few NATOs for wash and wear security and lack of bling. Quartz or auto, for a tough analogue watch, it's hard to beat a Seiko diver, and pretty much anywhere in the world, you'll find locals wearing them, so you won't stand out too much. Other than because of your pale skin and the 80 litre travel pack and daypack combo on your back, that is...

Casio GW-2500

Seiko SBCM023

For myself, I'd spend another £100 or so and buy myself another Revue Thommen Airspeed Quartz Chrono on a NATO - quickset hour hand for easy time zones, changes, robust, low profile, great chrono and enough WR for anything you're likely to do.

Revue Thommen Airspeed

Banned

This

I by 'travel' the man means trekking across the Kalahari or spending a year in the Amazonas, then obviously, a G-shock or the like is preferable. But if it just a 'normal' travel year then an ordinary automatic should be more than sufficient. He also requested ideas specifically geared towards an automatic.
    Then the man needs something like:

Seiko diver or Casio G-shock would be my choices too!

Craftsman

Maybe it depends on which mobile phone your taking?

In the old days pre smart phone, minimum you needed on a good travel watch was: an alarm,a light, waterproof/rot-proof and two time zones but now with smart phones they have everything you will need and more on it?

So what mobile you taking???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo

In the old days pre smart phone, minimum you needed on a good travel watch was: an alarm,a light, waterproof/rot-proof and two time zones but now with smart phones they have everything you will need and more on it?

A phone? Surely no :?

Gotta be a G-shock, maybe this one;

my current fave.

Of course with an Everest you get to play with the crown when changing time zones....... :wink:

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    You also get the added bonus that you can read "Great Britain" on the dial and go all melancholic reminiscing about whatever you can think of getting sentimental about in GB. Remember it's probably best to tape that bit over if you're caught in a hostage situation, though...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo

Bottom end Blackberry probably, no iphone for me!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    I'd go with the quartz vs auto crowd - especially if you get either a solar powered Casio or one of the long life (8-10 year) Seiko quartz divers. I'd recommend the ana-digital Casio GW-2500 which would be pretty much perfect for that sort of trip, or the Seiko SBCM023 which is slightly smaller and therefore less conspicuous than the Monsters, etc. In any case, I'd take a few NATOs for wash and wear security and lack of bling. Quartz or auto, for a tough analogue watch, it's hard to beat a Seiko diver, and pretty much anywhere in the world, you'll find locals wearing them, so you won't stand out too much. Other than because of your pale skin and the 80 litre travel pack and daypack combo on your back, that is...

Casio GW-2500
    I like the look of this Casio......maybe I should make an exception to my usual automatic/mechanical only rule.....