closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SKX007 and SKX009 'Sticky' Bezel

SKX007 and SKX009 'Sticky' Bezel

I'm thinking of selling my Seiko SKX007 and SKX009 as they aren't getting any wrist time. They were my first dip into WIS and was never really satisfied with them because the bezel didn't 'click' or move easily, I assume this isn't a fault but a design feature for people who actually dive with them, where an easily moved bezel could be dangerous?

As a desk diver one my favourite things is to play with the bezel on my Ocean One or 2254.

Do I need to highlight the stickiness of the bezel, or is that how they should be?

Thanks

Grand Master

Re: SKX007 and SKX009 'Sticky' Bezel

when you say "sticky" does it turn ok or is it really stiff? might need popping off and cleaning.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

They turn but it does require a bit of force to do it.

I've popped off the 009 and had a fiddle. It's slightly better but not by much. How should they be cleaned?

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.

Soap and water normally should shift the dirt that builds up.May require a light lub,try a little WD40 after the clean up and see if that makes a difference.

I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Craftsman

My experience is that clean & dry bezels turn best, since most lubricants seem to make the o-ring swell up a bit, and bezel feel is very sensitive to this. My recommendation would be just a clean, dry & reinstall.

The proper bezel action on these watches is among the best in the industry, so if they are too hard to turn, something insn't quite right IMO. I currently have 4 of these (used to have more) and all have very nice bezel action.

-Marin

Craftsman

I had argument with local AD when they refused to take stucked bezel off because it might be broken. :roll: It was stucked because of two lovely holidays in Mediterranian salt water. :)

After some water, soap and gun-lube its been working perfectly ever since....

-OD

The SKX009 I got from Creation Watches and has always been a bugger, whilst the SKX007 was a Yobokies mod that whilst not as bad, didn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by marin
    The proper bezel action on these watches is among the best in the industry, so if they are too hard to turn, something insn't quite right IMO. I currently have 4 of these (used to have more) and all have very nice bezel action.

-Marin
    When you say "nice action" does that mean I should expect a smooth slide, or firm click?

Craftsman

The bezel should turn smoothly, and while the clicks should not inhibit the rotation, they should be noticeable. Kind of hard to describe 8)

I think I know what you mean. Will share the outcome.

I have just bought a new 007 and can confirm that the bezel has a really nice action, turns smoothly with little pressure required (only thumb and one finger needed) and gives a satisfying "click" as it moves over the indents (if that's what they are).

A new o ring and some silicone grease should get that bezel clicking nicely

I'd echo the comments on my seiko divers that a little soap and water has always gotten the bezels moving again....

pop it off or use silicon spray

The Seiko watches you mention have a better bezel action than anything else I've worn, Rolex included. They can all get gummed up if not used regularly - stick the watch in warm water, turn the bezel swiftly 20+ times and it will be perfect. I use my bezels daily for timing cooking etc, but my brothers Sub bezel jammed completely and I fixed it using the above method.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit
    I have just bought a new 007 and can confirm that the bezel has a really nice action, turns smoothly with little pressure required (only thumb and one finger needed) and gives a satisfying "click" as it moves over the indents (if that's what they are).
    On further inspection the SKX007 has a bezel displaying the above characteristics.

Just need to get the Swiss army knife out tomorrow and operate on the 009!

Journeyman

It is an easy fix.
    Pop off the bezel very carefully. You see a aluminium ring with 2 detents. Take it off carefully.
    In the Bezel is a rubber gasket. Take it out. You will see everything is full of dirt/sand. Clean it with water and soap (dishes).
    Careful with the aluminium ring, bends easy. Take a look at the gasket. It has to be flexible like rubber, not hard.
    If it is hard, replace it, ore soak it in WS40 for a feww hours. Make it as dry as possible, and replace it in the bezel.
    Some people use grease, some people want to have it as dry as possible. Put back the aluminium ring, and replace the bezel.
    You may have to need a press. It is mounted ok when you here click.
    Bezels with the aluminium ring are always uni-directional, they only turn counter-clockwise.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Dibergio
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit
    On further inspection the SKX007 has a bezel displaying the above characteristics.

Just need to get the Swiss army knife out tomorrow and operate on the 009!

Quote Originally Posted by Tentotwo
    It is an easy fix.
    Pop off the bezel very carefully. You see a aluminium ring with 2 detents. Take it off carefully.
    In the Bezel is a rubber gasket. Take it out. You will see everything is full of dirt/sand. Clean it with water and soap (dishes).
    Careful with the aluminium ring, bends easy. Take a look at the gasket. It has to be flexible like rubber, not hard.
    If it is hard, replace it, ore soak it in WS40 for a feww hours. Make it as dry as possible, and replace it in the bezel.
    Some people use grease, some people want to have it as dry as possible. Put back the aluminium ring, and replace the bezel.
    You may have to need a press. It is mounted ok when you here click.
    Bezels with the aluminium ring are always uni-directional, they only turn counter-clockwise.

Sounds straightforward, hopefully the OP will be back shortly with photographs to illustrate the procedure :D

Well I made that harder than it should have been.

Got the bezel back on to find it moved smoothly - in both directions! :shock:

Removed bezel again to find the 'aluminium ring' wasn't there anymore. It had fallen out somewhere between me washing the bezel etc in the kitchen and me popping it back in the bedroom. 45 minutes of frantic groping around on the floor later (fuse has gone in the bedroom dimmer) and then I think to look in the kitchen.

It's just sat there on the side. :x

Working very nicely now though. :blackeye:

And 2 hours later its stiffened up again. Bah!

:x

Journeyman

Try to remove the gasket in the bezel (sandwiched in it).
    It is dried out. Replace it, if you dont have e new gasket, put the bezel on without the gasket. No watertight guarantee, but smooth turning bezel....

Quote Originally Posted by Dibergio
    And 2 hours later its stiffened up again. Bah!

:x