closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grail arrival: Seiko SBDX003 (Marinemaster limited edition)

Journeyman

Grail arrival: Seiko SBDX003 (Marinemaster limited edition)

First of all I want to say hello to everyone, I've joined the forums almost two weeks ago and although I don't post very much I really like to scroll through the watch forum to see all these amazing watches :) I've been a 'true' watch fan since december 2010 when I bought a Seiko SNZG17 and since that moment I bought and sold quite a few watches.

One of my latest arrivals was the popular (blue) Sumo. The bracelet needed to be adjusted, but my local jeweler wasn't able to adjust my bracelet properly. He lost the small part that needs to be put at the other end of the split pin (or whatever it's called), so after getting it from Seiko I was finally able to wear the watch, what I've also been doing for over 50% of the time since then. Unfortunately due to all these problems I wasn't really able to enjoy this watch as I wanted to. I still like it, but it somehow misses something I cannot describe properly.

Almost at the same moment on a Dutch watch forum someone was showing his latest arrival and that was an SBDX001 (MM300). I've been a fan of this watch for quite some time but I really didn't like the huge amounts of text on the dial. In an other topic we discussed about what you would buy if you had £2500 in your pocket. Someone showed a watch I've never seen before and it was truly stunning! The Marinemaster without loads of text, very nice golden accents. I wanted to know more about the watch and I discovered what this watch exactly was (although some of you might already know that ;)):

In 2000 Seiko released a series of watches under the 'Seiko Historical Collection The year 2000'-line. This doesn't only contain the watch I saw on that forum, but also a re-issue of the legendary Tuna, the Seiko Astron and a few other notable watches that have been made throughout the years. A useful link: Click!

This one was released as the SBDX003, which looks very similar to the 'other' Marinemaster being known as the SBDX001. As all of these watches are re-issues, this one is a re-issue as well and it's none other than the legendary 6159-7001.

It's a true limited edition of only 500 watches ever being made and it's very rare to see this one being sold on the internet and even if it's sold, it's almost never within Europe.

Hehe, but that picture shown on that Ducth watch forum was no ordinary picture...it was the one Wingtsun was selling here! :D After I found out about that I thought about it for a few days (as my most expensive purchase was 'only' £375 and this was was sold for a lot more), but eventually I wanted to buy it. The biggest problem was to actually reach the seller. Every time I wanted to register on the forums I wasn't able to do it. I saw the watch slowly getting away from me... One of the members of that other forum that also has an account here was willing to help me and got me in touch with Wingtsun and after some negotiatings the watch was mine :D It arrived a few days ago, but as I wanted to make some pictures in clear daylight I wasn't able to make some until yesterday. Well, now I've got them so here we go!

This is the outer sleeve of the box. Notice that this box it completely different compared to the normal cardboard Marinemaster box. And it says SBDX003, which is awesome :D

The leather(look) box, which is quite nice.

And there we have the contents :) It has the service paper (serviced in september 2011!) and a sealed(!) movement manual. Finally we have the watch of course ;) What's interesting is that this re-issue has never been sold with the Marinemaster bracelet. You only get the rubber strap.

And there it is! :D As said previously the watch has gold colored accents on the dial, the hands and maybe even the most important thing: the text on the dial! Not only has it got a nice color, there is also a lot less text on the dial. The darker color makes the dial even more clean. It's absolutely stunning!

The bezel is very, very smooth (unlike the Sumo) and it also has a nice glossy finish. It's remarkable has this glossy bezel is still in such a great condition. It truly has been kept stored safely throughout the years.

As I said I also have the Sumo and it's hard not trying to compare them (unfortunately I haven't made a picture of both watches in one shot). The official diameter of both watches is 44mm, but due to a thicker chapter ring on the SBDX003 and bigger text on the dial itself it looks a lot smaller than the Sumo. I don't mind that at all actually as I like the size of the 'vintage' Marinemaster a lot more!

Another note about the rubber strap: It really fits this watch nicely, I'll bet it looks better on this one than on the regular Marinemaster. It's just a perfect combination. Unfortunately the strap doesn't fit my wrist perfectly. On the 3rd hole the watch is too tight, but on the 4th hole is too loose. I like my watches a bit tight om my wrist, but not as tight as this is. I could buy a official bracelet in the future, but as I said I think this watch really needs this strap.

Another image of the dial. I want to show the special color of the lume. Instead of being 100% white or some sort of greenish white, it's more of a yellowish white color. It's pretty awesome and different from the SBDX001 as seen from pictures throughout the internet. When it's dark it still has a green color, but the standard color is different and it fits perfectly within the rest of the dial.

It's quite a thick watch when seen on this picture, but I don't really notice this when it's on my wrist. Another comparison is made with the Sumo if you look at how the case has been done as they both got both polished and non-polished parts. One thing some people complain about is the absence of a signed crown. I was somewhat worried that I wouldn't like that as well, but it really doesn't bother me and even better: I don't think this watch needs it, it doesn't make the watch any better.

And finally the caseback. As regular readers probably know this watch has a solid caseback. That means the watch can only be opened from above. Differences to the regular Marinemaster is the text: Normally it's 8L35-0010, but on this watch it's 8L35-0020. It also has the limited edition part engraved on the caseback. I have a somewhat early version of this watch, which is also nice.

The watch has the unmodified 8L35 Grand Seiko movement which beats at 28800 bph. I have an other watch in my collection with an ETA2824-2 movement and I've noticed that the seconds hand of the Seiko is much smoother than that of my other watch. It's really nice to look at hehe :) This makes the watch even more of a stunner :D

I cannot descibe how happy I am with this watch, it's truly a grail for me and I can't think of another watch that blows my mind more than this watch ever did. The moment I saw a picture of this watch I knew I had to buy it, no matter what!

Re: Grail arrival: Seiko SBDX003 (Marinemaster limited edition)

So it went to the Netherlands,been admiring it too @ SC! :shock:
    You´ve done the right thing,congrats.

Brilliant review, makes me wish i'd gone for it :mrgreen: Congrats on a lovely and somewhat rare watch.. and now that the MM300 won't be produced any more i wonder what will happen with these? hmm

Just seen this watch on the Friday 13th thread.

Until joining this forum I've never taken much notice of Seikos but I think I've been missing out. I'll probably be predictable and go down the monster route though.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    Just seen this watch on the Friday 13th thread.

Until joining this forum I've never taken much notice of Seikos but I think I've been missing out. I'll probably be predictable and go down the monster route though.
    Monsters ? cheap cheerfull and yet very dull !

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    I'll probably be predictable and go down the monster route though.
    Why - you've seen they do nice watches, so why go for the runt of the litter?

As for the SBDX003. Cracking watch, but I'm sure it would look even better on the bracelet.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Hi Puringa. Congratulations on finding your grail watch, and also too for taking the time to introduce yourself as a new member to TZ. Your delight in your new MM is really evident, well done (and also to Wingtsun for making him so happy 8) )

Blog Entries

Someone showed a watch I've never seen before and it was truly stunning!
    I confess, it was me. And here we meet again! I love this MM. These golden / gilt accents on the dial and hands look awesome. Ever since I received my Kingston, I've become aware of the fact that these gilt accents look very good on a watch. I've been selling watches like mad lately, to achive a goal. And then this watch came along. The only thing that kept me away from sending a PM to the seller, is the fact that I was (and am) focussing on something else. I think I will have to find a 'ordinary' MM instead...

But if you ever want to sell it...

Wear it in good health!

Menno

Wowsers! Wear it in good health!

Congratulations! It's a stunning watch.
    Was also considering whether to go for it when I first saw WingTsun's FS post.
    Wear it in good health.

Apprentice

Tumbs up, i already read it on the Dutch forum, nice story, gefeliciteerd!

Very nice indeed, those gold accents on the hands and dial do place it a cut above the "bog standard" MM300. If it were mine, I would purchase an original bracelet for the option, as all that SS would emphasize the gold hints.

Congratulations on a lovely and unique piece.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman

Welcome to the HMM club! Only 500 members. :D
    Interestingly, these were issued on Z22 rubber straps only.
    Of course, they look great on the MM strap, as well as the MM SS bracelet. 8)
    Cheers.

Congratulations on a fantastic watch. :)

Interestingly the box is different to the one I had.

Never knew they did two styles of the box for this one.

Master

Great post and stunning watch! Congratulations :thumbleft:

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Congratulations on a fantastic watch. :)

Interestingly the box is different to the one I had.

Never knew they did two styles of the box for this one.
    Another friend of mine has that box for his. I never could figure out why there were two different ones. The guy I bought it from said the box I had was the one his came in it was bought new in Japan. The only thing I can think of is that it's a replacement box from Seiko as it does have the SBDX003 Seiko sticker on the back.
    Could very well be a replacement I guess since the paperwork seems to be different as well.
    Here you can see some of the paperwork that came with mine.

Craftsman

I wondered about that box too.
    I believe those are the same as SBDX001 box.

I have the same as SL, with Historical inscription on the inside of box lid. 8)

Either way, the way is gorgeous and serviced. Good to enjoy for a while before another service. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by sharkfin
    As above the SBDX001 is more square with a pillow and space for the rubber strap. In two halves, no hinge. The one in the OP is the same as one I got with a Tuna.

Craftsman

Ah ok, my mistake guys. I remember I seen them somewhere just didn't remember which watch.
    So, they are also used for the Tuna's.

Quote Originally Posted by fornowagain
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkfin
    As above the SBDX001 is more square with a pillow and space for the rubber strap. In two halves, no hinge. The one in the OP is the same as one I got with a Tuna.

Craftsman

Here's the historical kit for mine.
    On this box, you can see the inscription.
    The HMM only came originally with Z20 rubber strap. Unlike the regular MM with both MM strap and bracelet.
    Which is kind of a let down in that regard.

Stunning watch. Very much in love with the SBDX001, but this is absolutely beautiful :shock:

Normally not in to the gold, but it works really well on this baby...

Congrats !!! :D

Have to agree that the gold certainly gives it something.
    Mind you the "ordinary" is also pretty damn lovely.

Journeyman

Thanks for all the nice replies! :D The more I have it on my wrist, the more I like it :)

About the comments about the bracelet: I've heard that a used bracelet sometimes show up on SC so maybe I'll grab one of those if it shows up again. At this moment I don't know if I want to spend the full prize for a new bracelet, because as I said before I do like the looks of the rubber strap :)

Also thanks for the extra information about the box. I had my doubts about the box as I've only seen the other box shown here so far when searching about it on the internet and it has now been comfirmed. So it's a replacement box from Seiko. Well, I'm thinking about what to do now, because I do want an 100% complete set with original box and all the papers also referring to this limited series. Who knows I might end up with two SBDX003's on here some day :D I'm definately not selling this one as the watch is in mint condition and it has been serviced not too long ago.

An other option is to convince someone to trade/sell the box with all the contents with/to me :P
    The last option is to buy (and maybe sell) an other watch from the historical collection as I believe that all the boxes are the same. I do like the SCVN001 (King Seiko re-issue) and that one has shown up a few months ago, so maybe it'll show up again? :)

Well, again, even if I couldn't retrieve the box, I'm still extremely happy with this watch and it will never be sold :D

BEAUTIFUL!

Best of luck for your hunt for the B&Ps.

In the meantime have some pics of the watch on bracelet,

I sourced the bracelet separately and whilst I think it looks ok I almost only ever wore the watch on the MM-rubber.

Great Watch congrats. :wink:

I am liking this watch more and more every time I see it, the clean purposeful lines make it really attractive.

Stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by minimadgriff
    Stunning!
    Careful - the forum policeman will have you ;)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by S.L
    Best of luck for your hunt for the B&Ps.

In the meantime have some pics of the watch on bracelet,

I sourced the bracelet separately and whilst I think it looks ok I almost only ever wore the watch on the MM-rubber.
    Although these are very nice pictures, it doesn't convince me to buy a bracelet, certainly not a brand new one, so I can see why you didn't wear the bracelet as often ;) I think the bracelet suits the SBDX001 a whole lot more than this model. I think that due to the rubber strap, the 'golden' accents are highlighted more than it would do on a bracelet. But I do want to at least try the bracelet some day.

I think it's :love4:

I was told that basically both LE and normal are the same except the dial, hands and bezel insert. But I think the gold accents makes it look smaller/more compact....or Japanese ..

Mine 001 says hi.

Apprentice

Congratulations !
    I stopped looking for this model 2 months ago ................. :cry:

Journeyman

brilliant looking Seiko want want want