closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strap softening.

Craftsman

Strap softening.

Hi All,

I'm lucky enough to have 1960's breitling cosmonaute which came on a stainless mesh bracelet that just doesn't it for me. I managed to get a new black leather OEM strap from a fellow forumite that sets the watch off beautifully but it's very hard, almost rigid not following the curve of my wrist.
    I only wear the watch on special occasions so it's going to take an eternity to soften up nicely. Does anyone have any advice on speeding up the process of softening/ageing?

Thanks,
    Wads.

Re: Strap softening.

I would not recommend it on an OEM strap, but I make my own straps and dab them with tiny amounts of leather oil, if I want them more supple.

I you do oil a strap, do not go overboard with the amount of oil, but go easy on the leather oil.

Not that I oil that many straps. I like to wear the straps to soften them.

Just wear the strap and it will conform over time.

Once it takes the proper shape, you might prefer that to a too soft (oiled) strap.

Top strap is a MF Manifatture Firenze strap which was very stiff to begin with, but once broken in it was very comfortable to wear. Further more, it just had that nice rounded shape to it, that only a non-oiled strap will retain.

leather oil or saddle soap , failing that let the dog chew it awhile :)

Craftsman

Hi WatchScout,

Not what I wanted to hear as I only wear the watch about once a month so by the feel of the strap now it's going to take years!

That said I appreciate your advice & with your post count will probably follow it.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

I don't know the size of the strap, if it's a normal size (20 - 22mm, you could consider wearing it on an other watch until it's soft enough.

Menno

(Edit: grammar police - is it 'an other' or 'another' and can you tell me the correct use - perhaps a PM?)

Craftsman

From memory it's a 22mm strap so could try breaking it in on another watch but that would spoil the enjoyment of the other watches for a while. Note to self, try to be more patient, good things come to those that wait.

Personally I just fasten them securely around a watch pillow for a few days. Just use the same buckle hole or maybe one smaller. That gets them curved.

Are you looking for shape or softness? If it's shape, I have misted water over a strap before and fastened it into the right shape, but it's probably not a sensible thing to do on an expensive strap. For softness, and again probably not something I'd recommend for a really nice strap, I use the same stuff I use for my Brook's saddles - Proofride. That said, the only real way to break in a watch strap is the same as the Brooks saddle, I get out and ride it (the saddle, not the watch!). 100 miles or so and a Brooks is the most comfy saddle you'll ever ride. Same for straps.

Most sensible suggestion was wearing the strap on another (that's another, btw :)) watch

Richard

Saddle soap (in small amount) is better than oil, keep applying it on a regular basis will soften it in time.

best is to just wear it and soon will mould to your wrist..

Master

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg
    Personally I just fasten them securely around a watch pillow for a few days. Just use the same buckle hole or maybe one smaller. That gets them curved.
    Tried this myself and it works. Helps the strap retain its curve and feels comfier when I put it on. Thanks for the tip.

Journeyman

Get yourself a nice cordovan strap –*soft from the start and will last long.

Craftsman

Most of the products that soften leather will also change the colour so be careful.

Journeyman

I use the watch pillow method as well. It won't soften the leather, but it will put the proper curves in it so it will conform to your wrist. This is probably the safest bet as it won't change the color or texture of the strap and it'll work even if you don't wear the watch that often.