closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volvo V70 with D5 Engine - Rising Oil Level

Volvo V70 with D5 Engine - Rising Oil Level

At the end of this month I'm planning to purchase my Volvo V70 company car with a D5 engine. I get it for trade price which saves me around £3k over the equivalent in a Volvo dealership, so is a pretty good deal.

Before I hand over my hard earned, I did a search on the internet to see if it was a reliable car going forward. That was when I found out about lots of cases of diesel getting into the oil, and then causing a rising oil level. It also has something to do with the DPF, but since I know nothing about cars it doesn't mean a lot to me.

Now I remember 6 months ago a light came on on the dash and I took it to the dealer, who said the engine oil was high and drained some oil off from the sump. Because it was a company car I thought no more of it.

But is there any petrol, errr I mean diesel-head out there who knows about this and can offer advice. Was the rising oil level a blip, or is it a symptom of an underlying problem that will cost a shed load to fix in the future? The car is immediately out of warranty when I buy it as it's 3 years old. Should I ensure Volvo have it recorded that I had the oil rising problem six months ago, so if it happens again at least I can argue that it started when the car was in warranty, and push for the to fix it gratis?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Volvo V70 with D5 Engine - Rising Oil Level

Not good....

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/05 ... index.html

Sounds like an avoid to me......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Re: Volvo V70 with D5 Engine - Rising Oil Level

Doesn't sound like a blip according to Honest John:
    2010 TSB related to rising sump oil levels in D5 Diesel engines with a DPF which is caused by excess fuel entering the engine sump via cylinders during DPF regeneration cycles. The solution is to reprogram the engine management software to reduce the volume of fuel used during the regeneration cycle and drain the excess oil back to midway between the min/max levels on the dip stick, then keep an eye on it. Really, any engine that has had its lube oil contaminated by diesel needs a lube oil change.
    Copied from: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar...7/?section=bad

Plenty more wrong by design if you read the rest of it on the site so I'd avoid.

I read his regular Saturday Telegraph column and DPFs are nothing but trouble, but usually getting clogged up due to low mileage. You seem to have the opposite problem which demonstrates how impractical they seem to be.