closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stockport Air Disaster (1967)

Master

Stockport Air Disaster (1967)

Some relatives of mine were killed in the Stockport Air Disaster, which has I think had some influence on my own feelings WRT aviation, which has been somewhat love-hate, but happily somewhat more love these days (e.g. see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86854&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15).

Anyway, apropos of not a lot I have been thinking a bit about this incident and its effect on my family, bearing in mind I was too young to really be aware of it at the time, but it had a fairly marked effect on my mother in particular (it being her relatives killed) which of course rubbed off on me to some degree I guess.

So I did a bit of googling to find out more and of course wikipedia came up with some good information.

What is interesting though is that of the 12 survivors, one was the pilot, Captain Harry Marlow. He had no memory of the crash afterwards, but some believe he managed to guide the stricken aircraft onto an open space, although the AAIB found no evidence to support this.

Anyway, I also found this link: http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=45016 which I found quite surprising, firstly to show the remains of the aircraft on what would be mainstream news and secondly that Captain Marlow, looking slightly dazed was required to view the wreckage and be filmed doing so.

Certainly it shows how time have changed with regards to events like this.

Hope those of you keen on aviation find the link interesting.

Re: Stockport Air Disaster (1967)

Thanks, that made an interesting read.

Grand Master

I remember it being in the news; I was 9 years old.

Paul

I grew up and went to school a short walk away from the crash site, and know the area well.
    My family are all from the area. My Father's Uncle watched the terrible incident happen, and was one of the first on the scene after the crash. He said he saw the plane coming down and it was so low he ran for cover in a doorway nearby. He was with his wife who just froze in shock standing in the doorway, I believe she had to be lead home by someone - although he ran over to help immediately afterward.
    You mention that there was talk of the Pilot guiding the plane to an area of open space - if you look at the site it would certainly seem that way. He wasn't far from the town centre and Stockport is a pretty industrial mass.
    The sad thing was that according to my relative, there were reportedly numerous survivors inside the aircraft when he first arrived, but for whatever reason they could not get them out and the fire brigade had difficulties in accessing the site - the ensuing fire on landing lead to a greater number of lives lost.
    I may be able to get you some better info. if required - My great relatives have passed away now, but my Father and other folks are still around and know about the incident.
    The area remains still un-developed apart from a car park and there is a small memorial facing out onto Waterloo Road (out of interest, about 100 yards down from Strawberry studios which opened at around the same time - Joy Division, Neil Sedaka, The Smiths, The Stone Roses and Paul McCartney all recorded there).

Hi,

We’re making a short film about the Stockport Air Disaster, and we would like to interview people who were at the scene/who remember it. If you were there/remember it, or know someone who was, and would be willing to be filmed, please email stopfordproductions@gmail.com*
    We’d require your account/what you can remember. The film will be no longer than 10 mins, so we only need a small amount of footage.
    If you would be interested in taking part, send a brief outline of your account or what you remember, and the dates you’re available to be filmed.*
    Thanks,
    Kristina
    StopfordProductions

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Some relatives of mine were killed in the Stockport Air Disaster, which has I think had some influence on my own feelings WRT aviation, which has been somewhat love-hate, but happily somewhat more love these days (e.g. see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86854&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15).

Anyway, apropos of not a lot I have been thinking a bit about this incident and its effect on my family, bearing in mind I was too young to really be aware of it at the time, but it had a fairly marked effect on my mother in particular (it being her relatives killed) which of course rubbed off on me to some degree I guess.

So I did a bit of googling to find out more and of course wikipedia came up with some good information.

What is interesting though is that of the 12 survivors, one was the pilot, Captain Harry Marlow. He had no memory of the crash afterwards, but some believe he managed to guide the stricken aircraft onto an open space, although the AAIB found no evidence to support this.

Anyway, I also found this link: http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=45016 which I found quite surprising, firstly to show the remains of the aircraft on what would be mainstream news and secondly that Captain Marlow, looking slightly dazed was required to view the wreckage and be filmed doing so.

Certainly it shows how time have changed with regards to events like this.

Hope those of you keen on aviation find the link interesting.
    Hi,
    We’re making a short film about the Stockport Air Disaster, and we would like to interview people who were at the scene/who remember it. If you were there/remember it, or know someone who was, and would be willing to be filmed, please email stopfordproductions@gmail.com
    We’d require your account/what you can remember. The film will be no longer than 10 mins, so we only need a small amount of footage.
    If you would be interested in taking part, send a brief outline of your account or what you remember, and the dates you’re available to be filmed.
    Thanks,
    Kristina
    StopfordProductions

Master
    I also know the area well and used to use an office on the corner of Waterloo Rd and Hillgate,
    If anybody is interested here are a couple of shots of the area.

Master
    50 years ago today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-40095542

RIP Marjorie and Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    50 years ago today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-40095542

RIP Marjorie and Ivan.
    I was three years old at the time and don't remember the accident.

I do know that had the crash been 100yds to the left I'd have grown up without a father and my youngest two siblings would never have been.

My father has never spoken about the events of that day.

Just 9 at the time and living in Cheadle Hulme mid-point between the crash site and the airport. Recently read Paul Morley's book on the North which has a chapter on the crash. He was a similar age and living in Stockport at the time. My feint recollection is my parents talking about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember my nan showing me the site of the crash when I was little, 8 or 9 years, old when she looked after us whilst my Mum was working.

I'm 50 so the crash happened the year after I was born. Luckily no one from my family was involved but plenty of friends and neighbours were.