closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this Tag?

What do you think of this Tag?

I know Tag gets little love other than he Monaco, but I think this is the business, and a complete bargain.

I thought the current AquaRacer was that 500m thing with the cyclops and the date window on the wrong side; I wasn't aware of the more classically styled 300m version, the WAN 2110 and 2111. I accept it is very Sub in its styling, but for an easily achieved £1000 for a quality brand, with classical styling, and a Sellita SW200 powering it, I think it is the steal of the century.

Why is this model so off the WIS radar?

David

If Photobucket goes wrong, it is the WAN 2110

Re: What do you think of this Tag?

Personally I like Tag's a lot. No idea why people don't seem to rate them either!

I like the look, but I have never handled one to comment on the quality.

Master

Never seen that model before. I must say, though, I like that a lot.

I think the model above seems to be just a little bland, that's why it doesn't really get much love, it just looks like any other sub clone with a very basic movement in it and quite expensive. It's a pity because it's a nice watch. It seems the 500m is/was very popular and sort of stole the limelight in comparison.
    I really like some of the newer tags aswell, the newer Carrera 1887 is lovely.

Trouble is resale value is very poor on tags, it tends to put people off.

Master

I'm a bit of a fan of this one, tried one on the other day in Chester. It's pretty similar to my current WAF2010 so not sure it would be much of an upgrade.

I believe this model has been around for a 2 or 3 years but was not available in the UK until now. Aquaracers are generally underrated IMO, I'm on my 2nd now and they have both been solid and dependable.

I like it, But Tag's just aint cool........unless their vintage of course..... 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Juice
    I like it, But Tag's just aint cool........unless their vintage of course..... 8)
    +1... that is, if they aren't TAGs at all but Heuers :lol:

I agree is is a very derivative style, let's be honest, it's a Sub clone. As for it being expensive, a quick search of the net gets you this for £975. That is rather less than half the cost of a B&R or Anonimo with the same movement, from what most people would accept is a well regarded luxury watch manufacturer. Looking at the crazy price inflation we have seen with everything from Rolex, to Omega and Breitling, I think it's fantastic value. There are cheaper sub-alikes to be sure, but not with the quality of brand, and the quality control you would hope that gets you.

Master

Really like the look of that; yes it looks a little sub-like, but that has never been a bad thing!

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice watch but personally and it's just my humble opinion but I'd prefer something like the Longines Hydroconquest, ....several hundred quid cheaper, more original looking, equal in terms of movement and probably better finished. Also a very credible brand, a little more low key and less mainstream than Tag Heuer.

I do agree with you that the Rolex's, Omega's and Breitling's of this world have got out of hand in terms of pricing. To me it's becoming much more interesting these days looking for quality in the sub 1K category.

I've got the earlier version of this Aquaracer, the WAB 2010 with ETA 2824-2 movement. It is a cracking watch and great build quality.

TBH, I've seen the watch that you have posted and think it looks great and is well made, but personally think the quality is not as good as the similar Aquaracers of 3-5 years ago.

The model you have mentioned I think is the cheapest sports model Tag do with an automatic movement, and whereas prices of other sports watches have rocketed over the last 5 years, this watch is not much more expensive than what you would have paid 3-5 years ago. That's why I think the quality has suffered a little - or at least when you spend time looking at it, it doesn't have the appear to have the quality of earlier Aquaracers.

That said it is relative, and still a cracking watch for a modest price. I've got mine on a tan leather strap and love it. My subby gets a lot of gentle wear, but my Aquaracer is my beater that goes anywhere, and doesn't look a day older than when I got it.

I think they make nice watches but their customer service via LVMH in my experience is really bad and the watches tend to be associated with football shirts and lager.

I think its a ok watch, inoffensive but there are more exciting alternatives.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Lovely. Not everyone wants a sub, or a Rolex at all in some instances.

Compared to the other models in the range I think it's quite acceptable, but I think I'd always go for another brand such as Longines in preference.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    Compared to the other models in the range I think it's quite acceptable, but I think I'd always go for another brand such as Longines in preference.
    Out of interest alone - why?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    Out of interest alone - why?
    Like a lot of others my first real watch was a Tag, but it's no longer brand that appeals to me.

Journeyman

I would also go for the Longines, especially if you get a secondhand bargain.

It's a perfectly nice looking watch: but if you wait a while for a minty SH example to turn up you'd probably save £250 or so - enough to buy something nice to go with it.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc
    I know Tag gets little love other than he Monaco, but I think this is the business, and a complete bargain.
    Nice - no-nonsense and still despite price increases, not bad value given that discounts are always available. IMLE, better made and specified than they used to be, too. TAG saved Heuer from death nearly 30 years ago now, but some people still haven't got over it :). That Longines mentioned above is tough competition, though, and cheaper.

Other TAG Heuers that get love, aside from the Monaco, are the Carrera (esp the smaller reissues and the new 1887), the Aquagraph, the Aquaracer 500, the Monza...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

Well I like it a lot and when you come to sell just drop me a message.

BEst wishes

Mark

Craftsman

I like the understated style , unlike other offerings from Tag also my first real watch was a Tag F1 in 1987.

I Like it .Though I wouldn't buy it as I have a PO and ceramic sub soi ti would never get worn .I like TAGs new 1887 chrono and the new dressy carrera at £2k.Even the new LInk is nice .I like the way TAG are heading more than Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by mark563
    Well I like it a lot and when you come to sell just drop me a message.

BEst wishes

Mark
    It isn't mine, or my photo, it was from a review elsewhere.

It was the recent thread about the Portuguese themed F1 that got me looking at Tag again. 18 years ago I bought a Tag for £450, was dismayed at a bracelet failure and long costly repair. That put me right off them and luxury watches in general for years, but time has mellowed me, and I seem to like them.

Master

A lot of Tags are over designed, but this one I like

I also really like the WAP2010.BA0830 which is more dressy.

I like it.

looks a bit like the old 1000 series...which i do still like, and wear daily(despite my new submariner purchase!)

Quote Originally Posted by sceneshifter
    looks a bit like the old 1000 series...which i do still like, and wear daily(despite my new submariner purchase!)

Nice, but with a Jubilee bracelet and Mercedes hands, you can see what the inspiration is!

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    Don't get me wrong, it is a nice watch but personally and it's just my humble opinion but I'd prefer something like the Longines Hydroconquest, ....several hundred quid cheaper, more original looking, equal in terms of movement and probably better finished. Also a very credible brand, a little more low key and less mainstream than Tag Heuer.

I do agree with you that the Rolex's, Omega's and Breitling's of this world have got out of hand in terms of pricing. To me it's becoming much more interesting these days looking for quality in the sub 1K category.

The Aquaracer is a good looking watch, but in terms of vfm, the above Longines is hard to beat.

Nice, but with a Jubilee bracelet and Mercedes hands, you can see what the inspiration is!
    ...Agreed but for £250 ish it`s a nice little classic in it`s own right now, especially the full lume version....

Craftsman

It's a nice looking Tag but it does look somewhat like alot of other diving watches.

...Agreed but for £250 ish it`s a nice little classic in it`s own right now, especially the full lume version....

I love it!

Blog Entries

Never seen it in person, but it looks very nice from that picture. Classic diver style. But there are a lot of watches with that look for half the price, so I hope it has a great movement...

Master

Personally I infinitely prefer the Tag to the Longines; the dial on the Longines is rather fussy, and as a result a little cheap looking. In fact, it looks like an Orient.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson
    Never seen it in person, but it looks very nice from that picture. Classic diver style. But there are a lot of watches with that look for half the price, so I hope it has a great movement...
    Which ones? Apart from the 48x16 Helsons etc which do look very similar, as long as you stand several feet further back :).

It has a decorated Sellita, which is basically an ETA 2824 clone built by one of ETA's suppliers/manufacturers that is now supplying the market directly. One I can think of in that price range with a "better" (read more expensive) movement is Victorinox, which uses a 2892 in a broadly equivalent model. Most others are quartz or have the same sort of movement.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Quite like that TAG and considered purchasing it before purchasing the 500M. I also had a look at the Longines Hydorconquest but was disappointed by the build quality.

I am very happy with my 500M, however, it is a big watch which sometimes means its difficult to tuck under my shirt cuff.

I like this one a lot, especially in blue. I have tried on my wrist a few months ago and I was very tempted, but at the end I didn't pull the trigger, don't know why, probably because I'm not a great fan of the brand any more.

Craftsman

I like the looks. It's not the only Sub clone on the market and not the worst in terms of design and quality.

Master

!

It's just another Tag, nothing special, nothing what will ever become a classic. Just one of the bunch of lookalikes on the market. A grand well spent...for 200 quid worth of watch.
    But it's just my humble opinion :roll:

Craftsman

I like the understated design much more than the Longines. I have a couple of older Tags and like them a lot for sentimental reasons. Quality has been good for me, but as others have said I've moved on from the brand mentally.

If I was 20 years younger and after a first good quality, branded watch I'd probably get one. As I already have similar watches, if I was in the market for this style of watch nowadays, I'd get an alternative clone as a beater (prob Steinhart) and save £800 towards a 70s Heuer.

I have an older Aquaracer Chronograph, blue face, have had it for a few years, Its my only watch (for now) so wear it daily for pretty much what ever i do.
    Never noticed it to lose time from what I can tell, it's a nice watch but in my view its a little much for "dress" occasions.

But its been bashed about in dive boats, knocked against walls, and generally used and abused and I think it still looks great, probably better a little lived in rather than brand new.

Very nice Tag, but I prefer the hydroconquest.

Saw these a lot more in the US for whatever reason, until they were discontinued. A couple years ago it was reasonably easy to get one of these for about $800 new from grey market online retailers.

one of the cleaner Tags.... nice.

Master

If Photobucket goes wrong, it is the WAN 2110
    I'll wait for the 2112 model.

In my opinion you're just buying the brand for that money. The watch doesn't look better than anything released from steinhart and other similar brands.

I like the look of it but not sure I would add it to my collection

Quote Originally Posted by wosk
    In my opinion you're just buying the brand for that money. The watch doesn't look better than anything released from steinhart and other similar brands.
    Surely you could say that about rolex and omega too? Or any number of brands for any number of items....