closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New York, New York

New York, New York

I've arranged a week in New York for the family (boys 11 & 15) in early June but I'm a bit stumped as to where to stay. Checked a few guide books but can't decide which is most convenient area to stay. We will obviously want to visit the usual attractions but not esp. interested in theatres or late night activities.

Looking for somewhere reasonably priced with easy dining nearby. So any suggestions as to what area to stay or, even better, particular hotels. Any other advice/suggestions?

Re: New York, New York

We stayed on lexington this year in between 28th & 29th street. Fantastic location, tons of differing kinds of restaurants, and very close to 28th metro.

The previous two times we've been, we stayed just off Times Square (on West 45th). Was great for the sightseeing etc but definitely preferred this years location.

Master

Herald Square is usually my port of call. Good location, good rates and nice modern clean rooms. Okay the lobby area is a bit basic but who wants to spend time in the hotel? :)

Master

Just got back, we took our 2 daughters 10+12 just before Xmas, we stayed here

http://www.hotelpenn.com/

TBH i wouldnt recommend it, ideal location but past its best and a bit grotty

The other times i have been we stayed here
    http://www.thirtythirty-nyc.com/

+

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... _York.html

both were pretty good, the Manhattan is right off Times Square

Master

It's best to see who is doing the best deal at the particular time, I travel there every year on business and I've never stayed at the same hotel twice. I would avoid the Financial district as you are simply too far away from most of the best places to visit. But anywhere between the Chrysler building and the south end of Central park would be good. There are loads of great restaurants in the Meatpacker's district, so somewhere close to there might suit you.

Last April we stayed at the Affinia Shelbourne, located in Murray Hill.
    Quite central(if there is such a thing), in Murray Hill, and we walked to a lot of sights.
    Close to the Empire State Building and The Chrysler Building, Grand Central is less than a mile away.Good locations for the subway too which opens up everywhere.
    The hotel also had a very good steakhouse , Rare, which had a rooftop part too.
    Personally, I d stay away from the Times Sq area as its always so busy and noisy.

Craftsman

can only speak from my own experience, I stayed at the Hotel Chandler this year http://www.hotelchandler.com/ Smallish hotel on east 31st, very close to the empire state building.

great hotel, very cosy atmosphere, immaculately kept and i think had a refurbish since i stayed. I would definitely stay again when i go back to NY.

plus, there is a brother jimmys BBQ just around the corner..best BBQ food i have ever tasted and a cracking atmosphere, your boys will love it

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    plus, there is a brother jimmys BBQ just around the corner..best BBQ food i have ever tasted and a cracking atmosphere, your boys will love it
    We went there too - absolutely fantastic.

New York, New York

We've always used the New Yorker, can't fault the place to be fair.
    Very reasonably priced, a great location and decent rooms are pretty much all you can ask for if on a budget.

Although I've not stayed there, the Radio City Apartments always seem to be well spoken about. You could get a 1 bed place so you and your kids have a bit of space/privacy...

http://www.radiocityapartments.com/

On our last trip we stayed at the Affinia Manhattan and found it to be a good location - a walk to Time Square but not too close, Macy's very close and Madison Square Garden literally across the road - we could see it from our window. (The Killers were playing and we managed to pick up a couple of returned tickets on the night which was fab!) Big rooms for NYC too...

http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City-Ho ... -Manhattan

Master

I've never been to New York but Mrs Bond went quite a few years ago when we first started going out, so can't help on places to stay.

But, will suggest that you look up an organisation called Big Apple Greeters - http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/

She used their services and had a fabulous day going to places a little off the beaten track :wink:

Master

If your issues are price, location for landmarks and location for food, then just find the best priced hotel you can and book it.

New York is packed with great places to eat - regardless of where you choose you'll be a five minute walk in any direction from a great restaurant. Manhattan is too large to explore on foot, and the 'big' landmarks are spread over every corner so it's hard to choose an area convenient for everything. Fortunately, you'll always be within a couple of minutes form the nearest subway station too!
    Last time we went we stayed at the New Yorker, which is a great hotel and sensibly priced. It's a stones throw from the Empire State and the big stores like Macy's, but it's on Broadway - so perfectly placed for theatre and shows which you're not bothered about.
    In your shoes I think I'd stay in the Upper East or Upper West side - which border central park, house plenty of attractions and are convenient for Times Square.

Quote Originally Posted by cat123
    Very reasonably priced, a great location and decent rooms are pretty much all you can ask for if on a budget.
    I'll second that. Went earlier in the year with my son and stayed at the New Yorker. A fantastic location, our room had a view of the Empire State Building and was clean and a decent size. I stayed at the Double Trees in Times square the month before with the rest of my kids (eldest son couldn't make it hence the trip a month later) a great location but I preferred the New Yorker.

Master

Burger Heaven for a good breakfast

Wollensky's Grill for a steak

Ice Skating at Rockerfeller, if you can get on, for some family fun

Barneys to empty your wallet in no time at all

http://www.hotelgiraffe.com/
    Reasonable hotel, pretty central to both ends of the island and walking distance to loads of eateries.

The Tenement museum is worth a look http://www.tenement.org/ It made my 15 year old realize how lucky she was......well for an hour anyway :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak
    Manhattan is too large to explore on foot, and the 'big' landmarks are spread over every corner so it's hard to choose an area convenient for everything.
    Maybe too large to go to each and every part of it, but my best experiences have been just wandering and exploring my way around Manhattan. Times Square to Battery Park and back is easily doable in a day - you'll see loads of fascinating stuff and feel you have earned your beer and food each night!

Blog Entries

Apart from all the fab hotels mentioned, there's also another way if you want to stay in NY: http://www.homeaway.com/.

I waited to post a reply until I mentioned this thread to my wife.

My wife used to travel a lot to NY for her work up to few years ago. Sort of 1x every 3 to 5 weeks for a 4-5 days stay. She always stayed at the Gansevoort: http://www.hotelgansevoort.com/ but that was paid by her company. She runs her own business now and she visits NY on a 'once every six months' basis. She not longer stays in the Gansevoort, but uses Homeaway.com for a nice place to stay. Often a small appartment or a loft, sometimes a larger appartment etc.

If you want a list of nice places to visit, just drop me a PM, I will ask my wife for an answer. And there's a nice iPhone app for your travel plans: http://www.worldmate.com/iphone/

About flying: flights out of NY to Europe on Friday tend to be more expensive than flights on Saturday. Often, it's even cheaper to stay in the hotel/appartment for an extra night and fly out on Saturday!

Menno

Banned

My favourite city 8)

First day, get a tourist bus!

They operate a hop on - hop off policy and run constantly.

A few hours on and off and you will get a great idea of what you want to see more of and what you don't in the time you have.

we have used the lucerne a few times, its is within walking distance of the museum of natural history, a subwat on the corner of the block, a sports bar across the road, an irish bar 2 doors down, an american bar opposite another corner, oh yes it houses an fantastic resturant, and has eateries every where.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Apart from all the fab hotels mentioned, there's also another way if you want to stay in NY: http://www.homeaway.com/.

My wife used to travel a lot to NY for her work up to few years ago. Sort of 1x every 3 to 5 weeks for a 4-5 days stay. She always stayed at the Gansevoort: http://www.hotelgansevoort.com/ but that was paid by her company. She runs her own business now and she visits NY on a 'once every six months' basis. She not longer stays in the Gansevoort, but uses Homeaway.com for a nice place to stay. Often a small appartment or a loft, sometimes a larger appartment etc.

If you want a list of nice places to visit, just drop me a PM, I will ask my wife for an answer. And there's a nice iPhone app for your travel plans: http://www.worldmate.com/iphone/

About flying: flights out of NY to Europe on Friday tend to be more expensive than flights on Saturday. Often, it's even cheaper to stay in the hotel/appartment for an extra night and fly out on Saturday!

Menno
    We stayed in an apartment this year also booked via homeaway (I also use vrbo).

However it's worth noting it is apparently illegal to rent in New York for less than 30 days. This came to light after we booked and did make me pretty nervous although all went well in the end. The way around it is that short term rentals are all booked for 30 days but if you stay less you effectively agree early termination. Could be a minefield if you ever encountered problems.

Obviously your wife does this more than I ever have but just thought it was worth pointing out.

We’re going in February for the wife's 40th and we're staying here:http://www.thejewelny.com/index.php It's a brand new, purpose built hotel opposite the Rockafeller Centre and, as it's new, there are bargains to be had if you book online.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cat123
    Another vote for the New Yorker. Stayed at the Edison, just off Times Square a couple of months ago. It was a bit "tired".

Master

Dont forget to get a New York Pass before you go - well worthwhile.

Do the round the island tour on the boats that go from alongside the Intrepid aircraft carrier, and if at all possible see if you can get on one that has David Parker as the tour guide - he is superb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by senwar

Menno

However it's worth noting it is apparently illegal to rent in New York for less than 30 days. This came to light after we booked and did make me pretty nervous although all went well in the end. The way around it is that short term rentals are all booked for 30 days but if you stay less you effectively agree early termination. Could be a minefield if you ever encountered problems.

Obviously your wife does this more than I ever have but just thought it was worth pointing out.

There's a legal way around: From the NY Times webpage:

Class B apartments may be rented for less than 30 days; rentals on Class A apartments must be 30 days or more. Renting a Class A apartment for less than 30 days is the most common type of rental violation, Ms. FitzGibbon said.

So, how to tell which is which? On the Buildings Department’s Web site (nyc.gov/buildings), people can use the computerized Buildings Information System to view a particular building’s certificate of occupancy, which will reveal its classification. Or they can visit the department’s borough office.
    Menno

Quote Originally Posted by senwar

There's a legal way around: From the NY Times webpage:

Class B apartments may be rented for less than 30 days; rentals on Class A apartments must be 30 days or more. Renting a Class A apartment for less than 30 days is the most common type of rental violation, Ms. FitzGibbon said.

So, how to tell which is which? On the Buildings Department’s Web site (nyc.gov/buildings), people can use the computerized Buildings Information System to view a particular building’s certificate of occupancy, which will reveal its classification. Or they can visit the department’s borough office.
    Menno
    That's a really interesting site. Glad I didn't see it before I went, as the most recent complaint against the place I stayed states:

ILLEGAL HOTEL ROOMS IN RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS
    Eek!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'll do a bit more surreptitious (trip's a suprise) research over the next few days.

Might be back with other questions!

I agree with burnsey66. It might sounds a bit of a cliché, but the open top bus tour is an excellent way to see the sights in a relatively short amount of time. You will also get to see other areas, such as Harlem and Brooklyn, that you might not venture to by yourselves.

And in terms of hotel, we stayed at the Hampton Inn Times Square North, which is a couple of blocks from Time Square and only two and a bit blocks walk fromm where there open top bus your is based!

Master

+1 on the bus

we used this one http://www.citysightsny.com/tourpage.php?item=SNY

decent value, even if you dont use it everyday, i think i got around another 10% off just by gogling for a discount code

Master

Another vote for the New Yorker Hotel, stayed there three times now and we spent Christmas and New Years Eve there over 2010/2011.

Brilliant location, great period hotel and very friendly staff.

It has the Tick Tock Diner in it for breakfasts which are pretty good. Plenty of good food places within walking distance up towards Times Square, such as Virgils BBQ ( we ate there for Christmas dinner!), Carmines and plenty more.

Fast food places are of course a plenty but worthy of a visit is Schnippers just opposite the 42nd Port Authority terminal, freshly cooked fast food and excellent value!

As for places to visit, Empire State, Grand Central, Air/Sea Museum and Broadway are all within walking distance of the hotel.

Right outside is the Madison Square Garden and Penn Station for subway lines up and down, ideal for the Staten Island Ferry and up to the Natural History Museum.

We absolutely love NYC, would live there given the chance in the Chelsea District/Flatiron District.

I think my overall favourite place though is Grand Central, just sat on the stairs (although not strictly permitted) drinking a coffee from Joe's and just people watch, I think we went there about 3 times in 10 days. Love the market in there too, especially the Juniors cheesecake shop!

We wouldn't stay anywhere else except the New Yorker it's perfectly placed on the corner of 34th and 8th and about 2 minutes from Macy's. There's also a K-Mart there and plenty of Duane Reade stores in that area for cheap day to day essentials.

Stef

Master

NYC is a great city +1 for the Gray line coach tours. Avoid the Wellington Hotel, More than a bit tired!

If you're on Manhatten island you can't go wrong with any decent-ish hotel. Public transport is easy and even by foot it easy to cover a lot of ground as you take in the sights. I stopped at the Rosevelt Hotel a few years ago witch was a few minutes east of Times Square. I just had new year there an stopped in the Club Quarters just off Wall Street.
    Get on a hop on hop off bus tour (we stick with Grey Line). And that can double as more public transport. :)

Fantastic place you'll love it. :D

I'd like to have a good time in New York when it's christmas, must be wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by twomen
    It is - and it's freezing! :)

I stayed in The Mave on Maddison, boutique-ish but modern and was great value when I went with a really nice interior, bit snug but then you are in NY. No dining facilities either but when in NY....

Its Mid-town, which in my opinion is ideal for everywhere.

A couple of other recommendations....The Cupping Rooms for breakie... you will not be disappointed! The rest i had proposed there so prob not typical family recommendations.

Have fun!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    Quote Originally Posted by twomen
    It is - and it's freezing! :)
    We had over 2 feet of snow over Boxing Day and the day after when we were there last year.

Stef