closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex crowns; are they better and if so why?

Rolex crowns; are they better and if so why?

From discussions on here it seems that screw down crown issues and repairs are common to most brands. I've had a few myself over the years.

The cause is usually failing to get the crown the engage properly before turning , then carrying on turning and stripping the threads.

My experience suggests that Rolex crowns perform significantly better in this respect and it's made me wonder why? On examination they seem to employ a more robust thread that requires fewer turns but is easier to engage and more forgiving when it does.

Is that the secret? Or have I just been lucky with my Rolex watches.

Blog Entries

Re: Rolex crowns; are they better and if so why?

Can't give you a technically informed answer.
    Haven't got a Rolex at thje moment, but the action on the ones I owned was indeed buttersmooth and very precise, never any fear of crossthreading or multiple attempts to get it screwed-in.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

I think the much thicker than normal threaded tube A) has thicker threads therefore less damger of cross threading B) the tube seems to support the crown, even when unscrewed, giving or at least giving the feel of a more stable crown.

Craftsman

You may have a point about Rolex crowns - the crown on my wife's 1985 Datejust is tiny but is far more positive in operation than the larger crowns on some of my watches.

You can clearly see the thread on the crown tube whereas on other larger watches magnification is needed to do so.

I guess the obvious follow on question is why are't all crowns made the Rolex way? It doesn't seem more costly or intrinsically difficult.

Very true, after all everything else seems to be an iteration of the original Rolex design :D

The 1964 Rolex I own has very sturdy and positive crown action, but the peculiar Vostok screw down crown is the best I have used - it is entirely free moving/wobbly and not spring loaded, so very easy to engage/start off on the screw threads.

I never thought they were any different :P

Rolex crowns tend to sit on the case ... the problem with that is that it is easier to strip the threads when too much force is used.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

SImilar thing happened to a friends DJ, the crown would no longer screw down properly after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Rolex crowns tend to sit on the case ... the problem with that is that it is easier to strip the threads when too much force is used.

john

Journeyman

I agree about Rolex crowns. Eterna are very solid too. The only screw down crown I had a problem with was on my Tag 6000 and it was replaced. I am still wary of screwing and unscrewing it. It just does not feel too robust.

Helmbarrie

Craftsman

It would be impossible to cross-thread the crown on my Sea-Dweller... there is absolutely no wobble of the crown even when fully unscrewed. One of the reasons why the whole thing feels so solid.

Cheers,
    Effortless.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

john
    stupid user error.

Rolex might just machine them with more precision and tighter tolerances.

Master

The best locking crown I've tried (but I didn't buy the watch, so don't know about long term) was a "bayonet" crown on an Anonimo, so only needed a half-turn to lock. Seemed to make much more sense to me, although the crown was large so wouldn't work on all watches.

I've never tried a Panerai so don't know what that's like.

I think there are too many variables to be honest. A few years ago all I wore was my Air King; I'd had it for 10 years. I would unscrew the crown twice a year come change of the clocks and things remained tight and precise.

Once I got the Daytona I wore the AK less and less. When I did wear it, given it wasn't in a winder, I had to reset the time and wind. The more I used it, the more 'grimey' the turns of the crown appeared to get.

On my experience therefore I'd say the combination of user-ineptitude, number of uses together with the crown construction can give a different result.

Grand Master

Ideally, the crown and stem should be fully removed to allow the threads to be completely cleaned and re-lubricated. The problem with Rolexes is getting the back off to do this; a good quality set of caseback tools is required (which I don`t have).

Dust and dirt builds up and acts as an abrasive, causing the threads to wear. It only needs a tiny burr in stainless steel for the threads to get sticky as metal transfers from one thread to the other, a process known as 'picking up'. Lack of user care and general heavy handedness is the main cause of problems; over-tightening is the favorite.

Always worth checking the 'feel' of a screw-down crown when looking to buy a used watch. I`ve had one with damaged threads....but it was still a bargain :)

Paul

Only had one on an omega dynamic but that felt very solid

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408

john
    stupid user error.
    Oh absolutely!!! I've had tons of watches with screwed crowns and they left my hands the same as when they arrived. I always felt that perhaps the metal used in Rolex crowns might be extra hard but we will never be told and it doesn't really matter. The crown in my MM600 is a delight ... feels like it's screwing on a rail, with a definite stop at the end. The supposed problems with the MM300 was what put me off at the time. The Damasko crowns are superb too with self lubricating elements and extra hard metals.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

One of the reasons may be that Rolex crowns and stems are countersunk in their drilling meaning that threading becomes far less likely and also means that generally a Rolex crown is quite firm in comparison to other brands.

john
    stupid user error.

:D :D :D by a monkey

I have owned Rolex for 30 years - never had a problem.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman

A good thing about the trip-lock crowns is that the tube is very easy to replace. A tool fits inside, allowing it to be easily unscrewed from the case. Unfortunately, genuine replacements tubes/crowns aren't easily had, and after market parts from cousins aren't brilliant quality.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mat
    A good thing about the trip-lock crowns is that the tube is very easy to replace. A tool fits inside, allowing it to be easily unscrewed from the case. Unfortunately, genuine replacements tubes/crowns aren't easily had, and after market parts from cousins aren't brilliant quality.
    mat, i thought the tubes were drilled after they were placed in the case to remove the splines????

Why do all owners NOT always turn the crown back until the click sounds and the threads are engaged to avoid cross threading! Then they would avoid those pesky crown issues or as it is bluntly put "stupid user errors." I always turn the crown back a little on mine before screwing it down on my manual winders. Works a charm.

Craftsman

mat, i thought the tubes were drilled after they were placed in the case to remove the splines????
    Ah ok, I have only removed one from a homage before, and replaced it with an aftermarket tube and crown from Cousins. It worked fine with the splines left intact. The crown wasn't much good though and its spring was too strong. :(

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Why do all owners NOT always turn the crown back until the click sounds and the threads are engaged to avoid cross threading! Then they would avoid those pesky crown issues or as it is bluntly put "stupid user errors." I always turn the crown back a little on mine before screwing it down on my manual winders. Works a charm.
    I guess it's because they don't expect to have to and given that you don't need to with a Rolex and certain other brands, maybe they have a point?

If you need to be that careful with something like a GMT watch, that you could reasonably expect to unscrew a few times a week, I'd say its quite a serious design flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade

If you need to be that careful with something like a GMT watch that you could reasonably expect to unscrew a few times a week I'd say its quite a serious design flaw.
    I disagree.

If we look at non-GMT manual winders, that have to be wound every morning (which are the manual winding watches, that I have most of and have owned many of in the past), I would just call it being extra careful ... bordering on the anal

Truth be told, I liken it to the sheer pleasure of winding a manual also. The turning back of the crown until it clicks and the turning it down the other way, is as much a ritual as the winding itself, I must admit.

After winding a manual in the morning, it is all downhill from there :lol: :wink:

As for your claim in regards to it being a design flaw, that one has to turn the crown back a little before screwing it down: There has been a few instances of PRS-20 Italians suffering from crossthreading mentioned on the forum.

If you are of the persuasion, that Eddies Italian has an inherent "serious design flaw," you are on your own on that one.

I am inclined to believe, that simple user error happened in those instances.

I have/have had several PRS-20 (5-6, I forget) and always turn back the crown a little, before screwing it down.

I call it simply common sense.

If you need to be that careful with something like a GMT watch that you could reasonably expect to unscrew a few times a week I'd say its quite a serious design flaw.
    I disagree.

If we look at non-GMT manual winders, that have to be wound every morning (which are the manual winding watches, that I have most of and have owned many of in the past), I would just call it being extra careful ... bordering on the anal

Truth be told, I liken it to the sheer pleasure of winding a manual also. The turning back of the crown until it clicks and the turning it down the other way, is as much a ritual as the winding itself, I must admit.

After winding a manual in the morning, it is all downhill from there :lol: :wink:

As for your claim in regards to it being a design flaw, that one has to turn the crown back a little before screwing it down: There has been a few instances of PRS-20 Italians suffering from crossthreading mentioned on the forum.

If you are of the persuasion, that Eddies Italian has an inherent "serious design flaw," you are on your own on that one.

I am inclined to believe, that simple user error happened in those instances.

I have/have had several PRS-20 (5-6, I forget) and always turn back the crown a little, before screwing it down.

I call it simply common sense.
    OK "serious design flaw" is too strong but the idea that users are entirely at fault and the winding back trick is just "common sense" is a little arrogant. I've worn Rolex Precision for months on end in the past and never found the need to do anything other than screw it in when I'd finished daily winding,

That suggests that there are different approaches to crown design that have different results and that some have greater degree of; reliability, robustness and idiot-proofing than others.

FWIW i think we place too much stock in the screw down crown's benefits and suspect that most modern designs don't need them. Didn't the Non-LE Italian loose the screw down crown at one point but keep the same WR rating?

Thought it was common practice to reverse the thread until it starts. I've certainly always done it, especially with fine threads.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg

john
    stupid user error.

:D :D :D by a monkey

I have owned Rolex for 30 years - never had a problem.

Andy
    Me neither. I've had Sub's, Explorers, GMT's for probably a bit longer than 30 years & never ever experienced a problem with crown/stem tube. The best in the business IMO. I could sit here and screw/unscrew my GMTIIc (triplock) all day & all night till Kingdom Come & I know it would never fail. It is, after all, one of the great features of the Oyster case. Rolex got it right in the beginning, and have never wavered on the quality of this since, only improved I would assume. Many years ago I paid well over the odds for a totally knackered 1675 GMT from the late 60's, it probably had never been serviced in its lifetime, in other words a real minger, but strangely, (or rather, not) the crown action was as if it had been purchased from an AD yesterday.
    P.S. I wish I still had that watch today!!!£££. :cry:

Master

no, crown and crown tube replacement are standard items in a Rolex service.

OK "serious design flaw" is too strong but the idea that users are entirely at fault and the winding back trick is just "common sense" is a little arrogant. I've worn Rolex Precision for months on end in the past and never found the need to do anything other than screw it in when I'd finished daily winding,

Hmmm, why you needlessly would go on record calling that opinion for "arrogant," I do not understand. It is just watches on a forum after all... but to each his own of course.

How can the common sense winding back trick in any way, shape or form be called arrogant!? It has after all been an oft repeated advice from WIS with far greater insight than I here on the forum. It is just a simple precaution against damaging ones watch.

Again, you are needlessly calling Eddie arrogant, as he himself hinted, that the PRS-20 crown crossthreading problems was indeed caused by butterfingered user error (Eddie, if I am wrong, please correct me. It is after all a while ago).

Further more: As I think, I did imply, the turning back of the crown is not only being careful with ones possesion bordering on the anal and maybe being overly careful taking that precaution. It is also part of the ritual of winding, as mentioned.

That suggests that there are different approaches to crown design that have different results and that some have greater degree of; reliability, robustness and idiot-proofing than others.

FWIW i think we place too much stock in the screw down crown's benefits and suspect that most modern designs don't need them.

Having for years been a fanatic about WR counted in kilometres (UTS 3000 ProDiver, GP SeaHawk etc) and screw down crowns (The UTS, GP SeaHawk etc), these days I find myself having changed to watches with less WR and also some watches with just push down crowns. These watches work fine.

Didn't the Non-LE Italian loose the screw down crown at one point but keep the same WR rating?
    The PRS-20 went from early batches having screw-down crowns to non-screw-down crowns in later batches, yes (see above).

Hmmm, why you needlessly would go on record calling that opinion for "arrogant," I do not understand. It is just watches on a forum after all... but to each his own of course.

How can the common sense winding back trick in any way, shape or form be called arrogant!? It has after all been an oft repeated advice from WIS with far greater insight than I here on the forum. It is just a simple precaution against damaging ones watch.

Again, you are needlessly calling Eddie arrogant, as he himself hinted, that the PRS-20 crown crossthreading problems was indeed caused by butterfingered user error (Eddie, if I am wrong, please correct me. It is after all a while ago).

Further more: As I think, I did imply, the turning back of the crown is not only being careful with ones possesion bordering on the anal and maybe being overly careful taking that precaution. It is also part of the ritual of winding, as mentioned.

FWIW i think we place too much stock in the screw down crown's benefits and suspect that most modern designs don't need them.

Having for years been a fanatic about WR counted in kilometres (UTS 3000 ProDiver, GP SeaHawk etc) and screw down crowns (The UTS, GP SeaHawk etc), these days I find myself having changed to watches with less WR and also some watches with just push down crowns. These watches work fine.

Didn't the Non-LE Italian loose the screw down crown at one point but keep the same WR rating?
    The PRS-20 went from early batches having screw-down crowns to non-screw-down crowns in later batches, yes (see above).
    Don't get me wrong on anything but a Rolex I too wind the crown back wait for it to drop and then wind forward.

I don't think i've ever cross threaded a crown myself but have received watches when the problem has occurred. The word arrogant was not aimed at you or Eddie any more than it was aimed at me. i guess if it is aimed anywhere it is at the WIS community. As you say yourself it is obvious to WIS that you use the wind back technique but i suspect than many casual users who just want a good watch will be caught out. They have access to the same websites we do and buy the watches we buy.

My original post asks whether Rolex crowns are indeed easier to use and if so why? I think we groped towards an answers to those questions. Maybe the reason why all crowns can't be like that should be saved for another day.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    no, crown and crown tube replacement are standard items in a Rolex service.
    not sure on your post quoting me mate,??
    i always thought that once a pendant tube had been fitted into the case using the rolex tool, the splines inside the case were drilled out to leave a smooth finish? you obviously disagree, so whats your input.>

mike

The crown on my DSSD has the most smooth and well-engineered feel to it of any watch I've owned. 8)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

i always thought that once a pendant tube had been fitted into the case using the rolex tool, the splines inside the case were drilled out to leave a smooth finish? you obviously disagree, so whats your input.>

I'm not sure if they are drilled out Mike, as ofrei sells two sizes of tube removal and fitting tools for rolex cases.