closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SEIKO New 4R Watch movement

SEIKO New 4R Watch movement

Watch Talk :roll:

Seiko SRP176J1

What do you think about the new Seiko 4R36 Movement. Is it as accurate as they claim. Anyone with any information on this topic?

Gerrimac

Re: SEIKO New 4R Watch movement

Uhh, hi to you to....Welcome....

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrimac

:?:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrimac

Seiko SRP176J1

What do you think about the new Seiko 4R36 Movement. Is it as accurate as they claim. Anyone with any information on this topic?

Gerrimac
    If you are very fussed about accuracy get a quartz. With mechanicals expect some deviation. The 4R36 is Seiko's latest so it's as good as it's going to get for the price.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Exceptional entrance.

Its a good movement, welcome.

Master

Welcome :roll:

Can anyone offer some information on the movement--specs, etc.? What watches are Seiko putting it into?

Thanks.

Craftsman

They are basically updates of the 7s26 movement family, with extra jewels and manual winding.

SPECIFICATIONS
    1 Features
    4R35 ??????????????????????????????? 3 hands, time display (Hour, minute and second hands), and date display
    4R36 ??????????????????????????????? 3 hands, time display (Hour, minute and second hands),day and date display
    4R37 ??????????????????????????????? 4 hands, time display (Hour, minute, second and 24-hour hands) and date display
    4R38 ??????????????????????????????? 3 hands, open heart, time display (Hour, minute and second hands)
    4R39 ??????????????????????????????? 4 hands, open heart, time display (Hour, minute, second and 24-hour hands)
    2 Vibrations per hour ???????????????????????????????????????? 21,600
    3 Operational temperature range ???????????????????????? Between -10 ºC and 60 ºC (Between 14 ºF and 140 ºF)
    4 Continuous operating time ???????????????????????????????? More than approx. 41 hours
    5 Driving system ???????????????????????????????????????????????? Automatic winding type with manual winding mechanism
    6 Jewels
    4R35 ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????? 23 jewels
    4R36, 4R37, 4R38 and 4R39??????????????????????? 24 jewels

Blog Entries

And a warm welcome to you as well :) .
    Nothing new under the sun old boy, released a while ago, and as said before just a variation on an old theme.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

I think it's quite interesting, it's a hacking, handwinding day-date movement that should fit the classic diver line. I'm considering getting a cheap Seiko 5 with the movement and doing a transplant.

:lol: Thanks to you all for your very positive and informed comment. I have purchased this watch SRP176J1 Presage and I'm delighted with it. I accept that for the best accuracy then quartz watches are difficult to beat but am I right in believing that the Seiko Kinetic Drive and Spring Drive models are as accurate as a quartz or is this just a marketing ploy?

I have had several Rolex watches and two Omega (Aqua Terra and the Constellation Perpetual, the previous model) and I must say that I prefer to see the second hand gliding around the watch face as opposed to the quartz movement.

However I amazed that the new Seiko only loses three second per 24 hours which I think most of us can live with. Much more accurate than the Rolex mechanical watches which I have had in the past. Rolex look good and cost a lot, but accuracy is not one of their greatest assets. Although I may have been unlucky"!

Thanks to you all for welcoming me to the site. It is aa pleasure to hear from people who really know about watches.

Gerrimac

Spring Drives are not quartz as such - waits for repeat of heated debate - but they're accurate. Kinetics, of which I have three, are quartz and thus quartz accurate.
    Having said that I have a Tag Calibre S quartz which gains four or five seconds a week and is an pain to adjust. Need the manual out every time since it's a perpetual calendar.

My latest Seiko has one of the new movements.
    I haven't measured it, but it's noticeably more accurate than my other Seikos and the handwinding and hacking make it much more user-friendly.

hi There

i know it sounds silly to you experts. What does Hacking mean?

Gerrimac

Craftsman

second hand stops when you pull out the crown.....(methinks, I aint no expert tho)_

Quote Originally Posted by RobinTR6
    second hand stops when you pull out the crown.....(methinks, I aint no expert tho)_
    Yes you are correct. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Spring Drives are not quartz as such - waits for repeat of heated debate - but they're accurate. Kinetics, of which I have three, are quartz and thus quartz accurate.
    Having said that I have a Tag Calibre S quartz which gains four or five seconds a week and is an pain to adjust. Need the manual out every time since it's a perpetual calendar.
    Spring drives are as accurate as a quartz because they use a quartz to control the unwinding of the spring. (And you ain't gonna hear it better than that. :D )

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Hello Robin and Gerard

Many thanks. I thought that's what it meant, but I was not sure. thanks for the information.

Gerrimac