closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: pam radiomir ..views?

pam radiomir ..views?

Ok, the rad bug is calling again,what do we think of them? Funds may only allow a base /low end model not sure on model numbers 380,210 ,differences in the models? How much new and what do we think a second hand value would be?
    cheers

Master

pam radiomir ..views?

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    Ok, the rad bug is calling again,what do we think of them? Funds may only allow a base /low end model not sure on model numbers 380,210 ,differences in the models? How much new and what do we think a second hand value would be?
    cheers
    I'm a fan of historic Panerai. The PAM210 does it for me. Love the simple dial.

The differences between the 210 and 380 are:
    - sandwich dial vs painted dial
    - no OP logo and sub seconds dial on 210
    - no display case back on 380
    - 380 is a few hundred quid below 210 (£2700 vs £3200 me thinks)
    - different movements, but both manual wind

That's all I can think off on top of my head, I'm sure Panerai experts will add if there are more.

As for the resale value, those historic models tend to do abit better than others, IMO.

Master
    Blog Entries

Re: pam radiomir ..views?

The PAM 210 is a great watch but used not so eay to come by and pretty expensive new.

A 380 at a deal price :wink: is a great piece too. Try not to buy just with resale in mind but with the endless price increases we're all becoming too familiar with, keep it for a year or more and i think you'd get your 'investment' returned.

This could have been a nice 'taster'?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270874603566? ... 831wt_1185

Master
    Blog Entries

Here is what I think is the most up to date list:
    http://www.paneraisource.com/forum/v....php?f=4&t=932

I'm a big fan of the 210 - I did consider both but the sandwich dial, display back and simple 3,6,9,12 dial just did the trick for me!
    One small downside - the crown can dig in to your wrist if your not careful but I just tkae it as a reminder that you are wearing a really great watch....
    Gratuitous pics to help?

Mike Seal

In a lot of ways the simpler Panerai are the most attractive.

I would try and get a sandwich dial model though as it is really one of Panerai's most outstanding features.

I've got a Luminor.

Just noticed a 183 on SC. This has the benefit of a display back as well as the sandwich dial.

Master

I used to own a 231 for a while and it was a great looking watch. Pure simplicity and understated class!

Loved mine - [s:1vsh4pg6]would[/s:1vsh4pg6] will have another :)

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Love the Radiomir & for a long time believed my Ceramic 292 would be a keeper ........but its on its way to a dealer on Saturday

But to be replaced with something new (to me) I hope soon :lol: 8)

Still a cracking watch though ........

Master

I love the 210 and the 183.

The big appeal to me is the big, bold simplicity and the endless combinations of straps!

I've been looking at 2nd had Rads recently and there are not very many around. There is a 183 on SC but the watch is abroad.

For anyone with the experience of Rads, is the 210 thinner on the wrist than the 183?

Thanks

Craftsman

In case theres any interest I'll probably be putting my PAM 287 J Series up on SC (soon) (also bought on SC) . Its got 1 dink on the side of the case but otherwise crystal etc all very good. Both boxes and papers, black croc strap + others ( vintage ammos black and brown). Not sure about price so get some photo and post up here for some guidance.

Agreed they are lovely, simplicity and presence but not getting any wrist time so its time to move on

Another vote for the 183; great little watches. The rads are versatile too, being either dressy or casual depending on strap choice.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra
    I love the 210 and the 183.

The big appeal to me is the big, bold simplicity and the endless combinations of straps!

I've been looking at 2nd had Rads recently and there are not very many around. There is a 183 on SC but the watch is abroad.

For anyone with the experience of Rads, is the 210 thinner on the wrist than the 183?

Thanks

The 210 and 183 share the same case and movement so are identical physically :) 186 G series is the most sought after but will have a premiun tag. It differs because it has the earlier, nicer decorated movement and the dial is unique to the G series.

It is laid out as RADIOMIR/PANERAI/BLACK SEAL The later and 'regular' models are RADIOMIR/BLACK SEAL/PANERAI

BLACK SEAL PANERAI

A difference that makes the G series more desirable/collectable to some.

Master

Had my 210 fro two years from new and still love it. Beautiful and simple watch, very comfortable, stylish and with the selection of straps out there always capable of a little change. On saying that I just tend to keep it on the OEM tan Croc job that I bought with it. Of all the PAMs I tried (had a try of a few more in Berry's earlier this year) this is still the only one I knew was for me from the second it closed around my wrist.

Master

Pdog,

Could you post a pic of the case thickness i.e. how high it sits on your wrist?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye
    I used to own a 231 for a while and it was a great looking watch. Pure simplicity and understated class!

crikey does that pass for understated these days.

its a lovely watch but not what I would call understated.

Master
    Blog Entries

210 wrist shots and a couple of others for comparison (mines a 7 incher :wink: )

Master

Only this pic at the mo as I am at work and wearing the Carrera today. Hope it helps.

so the 380 is a poormans 210? how much price new /used if you can find them?

Master

Cheers fellas.

Is the 380 the Logo version? If so, not for me.

Get a U-Boat instead.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ducks, gets his coat and heads for the door.... :walk: :wave:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlistairD
    Get a U-Boat instead.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ducks, gets his coat and heads for the door.... :walk: :wave:

As long as you are prepared to laugh everytime you look at yourself in the mirror! :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    so the 380 is a poormans 210? how much price new /used if you can find them?
    List is £2700 for a 380 I think. Blowers advertised the last 2 they had at £2900, it's quite a new model so I guess that's why they are trying to get a premium. I wouldn't say it's a poor man's 210, if you want a rad with sub-seconds dial it's a bargain (relatively speaking), also it has the logo which I think is 8) what it lacks, however, is the awesome sandwich dial.

I only really like the Luminors, the Rads leave me a little cold. If I was after that style, I'd get a PRS20
    Gray

I like Rads, even with more complications - my 214...

the white gold rodiomir with small date at 4 o'clock is IMO the best panerai.

its stunning.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    I only really like the Luminors, the Rads leave me a little cold. If I was after that style, I'd get a PRS20

Without the Radiomir there would never have been a Luminor. One evolved into the other, but you probably know that already 8)

pam radiomir ..views?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    Quote Originally Posted by gray

Without the Radiomir there would never have been a Luminor. One evolved into the other, but you probably know that already 8)
    No doubt about it.

I've been down the hate, admire, love, lust, get it, got it, had it, want it route - more than once ;-)
    Gray

Craftsman

+1 on the 183G. Bought a used one a few years ago and it's a fantastic watch. The 210 is cleaner looking, but I just couldn't live with a watch without a seconds hand.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin
    +1 on the 183G. Bought a used one a few years ago and it's a fantastic watch. The 210 is cleaner looking, but I just couldn't live with a watch without a seconds hand.
    That's the dilemma with all PAM's for me, there's no doubt that aesthetically the simple dials suit the particular PAM style, but if it's going to get used a lot, I really need the date on a watch. Hence I went for the 312.
    More gratuitous PAM pics.

Craftsman

Great pics of the 312. And I really like your assortment of straps. I have to say that, of their more recently introduced models, the 312 is my favorite. It just ticks all the boxes for me. How do you find the Panerai in house movement, I've heard some people have had some problems with them? While from a philosphical perspective I've always thought in-house movements are preferrable, from a practical standpoint the ETA movements found in most PAM's are real workhorses and are both accurate and reliable.

If you don't mind, I can give you an answer regarding my 320 (which is very closely related to the 312) and the in-house movement.
    I bought mine 20 months ago and it has steadily got less reliable. The 320 is not COSC certified but when I bought it, it lost about 2-3 seconds a day which is perfectly acceptable. Over time, this has deteriorated until during November I ran a few home made tests and it was averaging -15 seconds a day.
    It is now on its way back to Panerai under warranty and I'm hoping to get the timekeeping back to nearer COSC.
    Having said that, I wouldn't get rid of it for the world - 40th birthday present, stunning watch, fabulous looks etc........
    Just my 2p on the subject and sorry for butting in!

Mike Seal

Quote Originally Posted by pippin
    Great pics of the 312. And I really like your assortment of straps. I have to say that, of their more recently introduced models, the 312 is my favorite. It just ticks all the boxes for me. How do you find the Panerai in house movement, I've heard some people have had some problems with them? While from a philosphical perspective I've always thought in-house movements are preferrable, from a practical standpoint the ETA movements found in most PAM's are real workhorses and are both accurate and reliable.

Like Batonman I had to send mine back for regulation. It was running v. fast initially. However it came back from Panerai (RIS?) in a couple of weeks and has settled down to about +3.

I think you have to expect a degree of teething problems with a new(ish) movement and it doesn't detract from the watch's appeal to me. I know what you mean about the in-house vs ETA issue. I think in general a good ETA will probably run as accurately (if not more accurately) than a lot of in-house movements, but on balance I prefer the fact that an in-house movement feels that little bit special (rightly or wrongly).

Irrespective of this, I really love the look of it - the casework really is very attractive, it wears very comfortably for such a large watch (especially on the Toshi strap which is sooo comfortable), and the sandwich dial is attractive and readable in both dark and light. I think the size works better with PAM's than many other large watches as they look like rugged tool watches rather than simply a supersized version of some other design.

Craftsman

Thanks for the replies. I have a PAM 183, which has the ETA 6497/2 movement. Bought it used a couple of years ago. When it first arrived it was losing 30-40 seconds a day. Brought it into a local dealer and it turned out to be magnetized. He took it into the backroom, de-magnitized it, and now gains a steady two seconds a day. :D

Love them but they don't seem good value
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    Love them but they don't seem good value

In what way? No 'hi-end' piece is when new, and most brands lose a percentage as you walk out the door, like a new car off the forecourt. Bought well a PAM312 is a brilliant bit of kit. All the 'basic & classic' looks of a Panerai, but auto and with a date.

What's not to like :? :P