closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Big Man' tackles fare dodging teenager on train

'Big Man' tackles fare dodging teenager on train

Telegraph link
    Youtube link

Love the comment at the end, "cheers big man".

The video called ScotRail No Ticket was posted onto YouTube three days ago and has already been viewed almost 200,000 times.

The incident happened on a ScotRail service between Edinburgh and Perth on Friday night when a ticket conductor caught a teenager trying to travel with a single ticket that was only valid in the opposite direction.

After realising the ticket was not valid and that the young man was not going to pay the fare, the conductor told the driver to stop the train until the lad got off.

A shouting match ensued, with the conductor insisting, "we will sit here all night. Why should they pay and not you?" as the youth swears at him.

One unidentified passenger having has enough, gets to his feet, asks the conductor if there a problem before grabbing the teenager by the scruff of his neck and bundling him off the train.

The youth tries unsuccessfully to barge his way back on the carriage but gets pushed off repeatedly by the man when he tries to reboard.

A ScotRail spokesman said: "While we welcome the public's support of our zero-tolerance stance on anti-social behaviour, our staff are trained in conflict management and we do not expect members of the public to take matters into their own hands.

"We are investigating the incident, which appears to show a person travelling without a valid ticket, refusing to pay for the journey, and swearing at a staff member in full view of customers."

Re: 'Big Man' tackles fare dodging teenager on train

Just awesome. No complaints received, no investigation needed.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo
    I haven't viewed the footage or read the article but...

According to Radio 2 (I think) this afternoon, the police have been informed and are going to look into it.

edit.........Just viewed the youtube clip....I can see that going viral ( receiving large viewing figures) :wink:

Banned

The lads' parents have been on Radio 2, apparently the young lad us a little angel and this is completely out of character for him.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by taz417
    The lads' parents have been on Radio 2, apparently the young lad us a little angel and this is completely out of character for him.
    I expect they've said that every time they've appeared as character witnesses for the little ................

Quote Originally Posted by Guz

According to Radio 2 (I think) this afternoon, the police have been informed and are going to look into it.
    Trouble is, if the police are true to form the bloke will get done for assult and the kid will get off scott free

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by taz417
    And he has been good as gold since he got caught in in all the excitement of the riots!

Question is where was that big fella when the woman was spouting off the racist remarks?
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw

Trouble is, if the police are true to form the bloke will get done for assult and the kid will get off scott free
    Don't worry - I saw what you did there. Very clever.

Grand Master

Brilliant!

The teenager got what he deserved and his father should stop bleating in the lad's defence.

At 19 he's old enough to fight his own battles, he's not a kid.

Whoever decided to film this would've been better assisting the Big Man to throw the lad off the train, not provide a bloody video of the event.

Paul

Craftsman

Am I the only one who thinks the 'big man' came across as a bullying thug?

Probably.

Fat man assualted fare dodger and went too far literally throwing him off the train. I hope fat man gets what he deserves, or better still, develops a he-man complex and gets sparked out by someone who stands up for themselves.

He came over as someone who wanted to get home to me.

How is he a bullying thug? You have an abusive passenger that is under the influence of alcohol and is refusing to show a valid ticket or obey the ticket inspector's requests. Therefore you have a train sat there full of passengers wanting to get to their destination because some 'yoof' thinks he can behave like a complete tit and has no care for anyone but himself. So a passenger gets up and moves him towards the door. He then tries to get back on and he is then thrown off. Looks like reasonable force to me. We need more people like the 'Big Man'. He wouldn't have mysteriously cut his face if he had just got off first time around. To be honest, he is lucky he didn't incur a right boot up the arse for his trouble. He should shut up and so should his family who think their little lamb was in his right to sit there swearing on a train. Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudspud2005

Probably.

Fat man assualted fare dodger and went too far literally throwing him off the train. I hope fat man gets what he deserves, or better still, develops a he-man complex and gets sparked out by someone who stands up for themselves.
    Not a bully (in reality) the world has become a place where people turn a blind eye to bad behaviour and abuse.

Good effort.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Probably.

No he asked politely before chucking him out :o
    I'm fine with that!

Banned

A pat on the back to the fat jock 8)

If my daughter had been on the train (for example) I'd be glad of decent folk like him, as opposed to a load of spineless politically correct do gooders.

edit.........Just viewed the youtube clip....I can see that going viral ( receiving large viewing figures) :wink:
    Viral? You bet. It's just been shown on Channel 4 news!

Probably.

I think you are the only one supporting your mate, judging you on your past posts.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Probably.

I think you are the only one supporting your mate, judging you on your past posts.

Eddie
    I'm not supporting 'my mate', I'm simply saying that fat man was over the top and came across as a bullying thug.

IMO.

Probably.

Eddie
    I'm not supporting 'my mate', I'm simply saying that fat man was over the top and came across as a bullying thug.

IMO.
    Why was he 'over the top' ?

I love the little rat trying to push his way back on LOL.

Good to see a decent citizen beating the feral scum for once.

Craftsman

He throws him off the train onto the platform with some force after he tried to get back on the train. You can even hear someone saying that it was out of order.

Over the top and hope he gets done for assault.

Anyway, this is G&D not BP so I'm off before I say something I'll regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Probably.

Eddie

IMO.

It's just Pudspud playing the contrarian again. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Probably.

Eddie

IMO.
    It's just Pudspud [s:jm14r1h8]playing the contrarian[/s:jm14r1h8] being a ponce again. :wink:
    Fixed it :)

Banned

Over the top and hope he gets done for assault.
    If I'm ever passing you whilst getting a good kicking (you not me obviously), I'll step over you and go about my business as usual. I do hope though the nasty assailants will get done for assault :wink:

Give the big guy a medal! Just awesome.

Master

The guy was simply taking the pragmatic approach to a problem affecting numerous (probably hundreds) of people. The runt didn't have a right to be on the train, but was refusing to leave, so the chap removed him. Well done and exactly the kind of no-nonsense approach we should see more often. The scrote's behaviour was closer to that of a bully. The type of bully who cries and tells the teacher when his victim turns round and gives him a smack.

When things happen to you that are unpleasant but are as a direct result of your behaviour, any reasonable person looks back and thinks "You were being a dick - you deserved that". A lack of accountability and an inability to accept consequences is one of the major problems with the UK (world?) today.

^^^^^

What he said

The reason this country has all but ground to a halt is the excess of people who do nothing for fear of what might happen to them, in these situations, almost no one does anything,

That's why we have videos of grannies tackling ram raiders and this one, it's so rare an occurrence, people naturally film such a phenomenon

Why should everyone on that train and probably the one behind it and all the people waiting on that rail network put up with the little worm thinking he was safe to mouth off because no one dares confront anyone anymore.

More "big men" needed I think,

Master

Quote Originally Posted by de30m
    That's why we have videos of grannies tackling ram raiders
    Love those handbag swingers! Boom!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Paraphrase of Edmund Burke muthafu...!!!

Thinking about it a little more,

The internet is as ever our friend here,

We should hopefully all now recognise the key players in this little extract of modern life,

So therefore,
    I can only assume that for whatever career our foul mouthed student is planning to enter this video CV of his character is in all probability lodged somewhere in the mind of anyone thinking of employing him

And just for balance, that it is now very likely the big man's hand will never forget the warmth of the many people Who on recognising him will want to shake it firmly.

That's justice in my mind irrespective of what our legal system decides

While I commend the big guy for taking care of the problem, it would've been interesting to see (purely from a behavioral perspective) his response if there was 5 or 6 yobs involved and they were hounding and harassing passengers as can happen on public transport.

Can't help feeling though, that the 'big guy' dealt with this merely because it was an 'easy' one to resolve and to show a bit of bravado and stamp his authority over the situation.
    It was a single teenage fare dodger, hardly someone threatening a to rob woman with a knife or harassing old folk in which case he may have sat and kept stum like the vast majority of public would do.

If the general public were a bit more pro-active in dealing with more serious asb rather than an opportunistic fare dodger then we might have had less burning and looting during the summer in London. Just an observation.

Master

Well done that man, another zero tolerant Scot. He reminds me of John Smeaton, the straight talking Glaswegian baggage handler who helped the police in the 2007 Glasgow Airport attack. We need more people like them in the world who are prepared to make a stand.

Banned

For all the big man knew the teenager may have had a knife, all he did was do what 98% of other passengers wanted to do. Good on him IMHO

Have almost done similar on a bus, but the youth got off before it got physical. People need to stand up for what's right a bit more IMO

:arrow:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

For me, the key issue is that the other passenger asked the guard if he wished to have the passenger removed from the train - and the guard said 'Yes'.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    For me, the key issue is that the other passenger asked the guard if he wished to have the passenger removed from the train - and the guard said 'Yes'.

R
    Quite.

I escorted some louts out of an offie after the sales lass confirmed she wanted them out.

I've stepped in to sort out other loutish behaviour too - my Mrs has as well - much to the amazement of the head down, carry on, equally able-bodied passers by.

Not foolhardy (yet) just judging each situation as it happens.

Saying nothing would be an option of last resort.
    Gray

Craftsman

The Ned mouthed off to the guard (sorry train manager) reaptedly; when an MOP offered him assistance, he accepted. Open and shut case. Normally when this happens the guard/driver/platform staff will ring their control or a signaller if their on the move, and get the train stopped at the next stop (to give the local police a chance to meet it). I'd say I make a call to the police every few months for this, occasionally I call ambulances for staff too - some times its a hepatitis worry (spat in face or mouth) occasionally more severe: broken nose by headbutting for one driver.

I think the only crime being the young kids hearing the f off repeatedly....

Master

Probably.

No, you're not the only one.

Whilst what he did might have been right, I would be very, very suprised if the fat lout's motives were altruistic. People like that invariably intervene because they want to be the 'big man'. I wonder if he would have been quite so eager to wade in had the fare-dodger not been a scrawny teenager?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters

Probably.

No, you're not the only one.

Whilst what he did might have been right, I would be very, very suprised if the fat lout's motives were altruistic. People like that invariably intervene because they want to be the 'big man'. I wonder if he would have been quite so eager to wade in had the fare-dodger not been a scrawny teenager?
    Said 'fat lout' being a fireman.

Just saying. You know. Perhaps we should give him a bit more credit and not leap to conclusions.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal
    While I commend the big guy for taking care of the problem, it would've been interesting to see (purely from a behavioral perspective) his response if there was 5 or 6 yobs involved and they were hounding and harassing passengers as can happen on public transport.

Can't help feeling though, that the 'big guy' dealt with this merely because it was an 'easy' one to resolve and to show a bit of bravado and stamp his authority over the situation.
    It was a single teenage fare dodger, hardly someone threatening a to rob woman with a knife or harassing old folk in which case he may have sat and kept stum like the vast majority of public would do.

If the general public were a bit more pro-active in dealing with more serious asb rather than an opportunistic fare dodger then we might have had less burning and looting during the summer in London. Just an observation.
    as much as i applaud the guy for doing what he did, i can't help but think you're right.

also looks like he's now going to have problems with ? charged with assault. :(

Probably.

No your not.

I would imagine the anti social fare dodging scrote thought 'big man' came across as a bullying thug too. Birds of a feather stick together and all that.

I would think judging by the comments and applause that the rest of that train were extremely thankful for his actions.

I hope 'fat' man as you prefer to call him does get what he deserves. Some recognition from the authorities and a nice community reward would do for starters.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    I love the little rat trying to push his way back on LOL.

Good to see a decent citizen beating the feral scum for once.
    +1. Actually, no. +1,000,000.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal

It was a single teenage fare dodger, hardly someone threatening a to rob woman with a knife
    "Aw, the lad". :roll:

When there are 5 or 6 yobs "steaming" a train, what you need are 5 or 6 upstanding citizens to give them what-for. Upstanding citizens do outnumber yobbos by quite some margin, after all; it's really refreshing to see people no longer standing for that sort of shit behaviour from feral louts.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Its an interesting scenario this one, when i was a kid (15 ish) i dodged a few train fares because i didn't have any cash and needed to get home after seeing a girl in the next town, not to say that i'm endorsing what the lad did, but it happens.

The mistake this lad made was his reaction to being caught, swearing and mouthing off.

I was on a train out of guildford in to London, a young lad sitting opposite me didn't have a ticket when asked, he was around 14, he was going to Woking which is around a 20 min journey. It was around this time of year so it was dark at around 5pm. When he was asked for a ticket he just dies on the spot went bright red and explained he had spent his cash, he was polite and pretty humble. The guard said he would have to ask him to get off the train at the next stop, a deserted small village station, he was clearly upset.

Kicking a kid off a train in the dark with no way of getting home can't be the right thing to do, so i paid the boys fare of £3.20, the gaurd wanted to charge the fare plus £10 penalty but had a change of heart when i moaned a little. I would happily do it again if i felt it was the right thing to do.

The problem for this lad in the clip was his attitude, had he been a little more humble, polite and accepted he had been caught then perhaps the gurad of another passenger might have been willing to do a good deed for the day. I think he was asking for a clip around the ear but i also think that these situations can develop in to a bit of a pack mentality, i don't think the guy that threw him off was some sort of hero, in many ways i think the opposite. Stop at the next station and call the police would have been more appropriate IMO, as soon as they did call the police that lad would have got off the train and legged it anyway.

Im not soft of thuggish behaviour but for some reason i find the clip a little uncomfortable.

I'm amazed that people are denigrating 'Big Man' (can we call him Allan Pollock?) because (they assume) he wouldn't have intervened if it'd been 5 or 6 yobs, or someone bigger than him - so what? I've intervened in the past, but because I'm a little chap and not physical, there are many times when I don't intervene - does that mean when I DO intervene I'm a bully? Of course not, I'm just doing what I can, when I can.

I reckon Mr Pollock should be tried by a jury of his peers in court - I think we all know what the outcome would be.

It's a pity the five minutes of previous footage wasn't captured. Maybe then people wouldn't be so quick to condemn the Big Man. It actually sounds like the ned was an even bigger dick than previously thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16173835

Grand Master

Can`t help but question why the guy who did the filming decided to publicise his film and therefore (potentially) incriminate the big man. By appearing on TV he's obviously enjoying his 15mins of fame. 2 bad decisions IMO, a good example of someone not thinking things through and considering the impact of their actions.

Had he kept quiet about the whole thing and NOT posted the film on youtube there's a good chance the whole thing would've blown over.

If I was the 'big man' I`d be annoyed at this pillock for milking the publicity and showing the film.

Despite being 53, 5' 10" and 11 stone 5, thus lacking big-man's obvious physical advantage, I reckon I would've lost my temper with this youth. Big Man used minimal force to eject the lad IMO; he didn`t punch him first or rough him up to subdue him.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut
    Its an interesting scenario this one, when i was a kid (15 ish) i dodged a few train fares because i didn't have any cash and needed to get home after seeing a girl in the next town, not to say that i'm endorsing what the lad did, but it happens.

The mistake this lad made was his reaction to being caught, swearing and mouthing off.

I was on a train out of guildford in to London, a young lad sitting opposite me didn't have a ticket when asked, he was around 14, he was going to Woking which is around a 20 min journey. It was around this time of year so it was dark at around 5pm. When he was asked for a ticket he just dies on the spot went bright red and explained he had spent his cash, he was polite and pretty humble. The guard said he would have to ask him to get off the train at the next stop, a deserted small village station, he was clearly upset.

Kicking a kid off a train in the dark with no way of getting home can't be the right thing to do, so i paid the boys fare of £3.20, the gaurd wanted to charge the fare plus £10 penalty but had a change of heart when i moaned a little. I would happily do it again if i felt it was the right thing to do.

The problem for this lad in the clip was his attitude, had he been a little more humble, polite and accepted he had been caught then perhaps the gurad of another passenger might have been willing to do a good deed for the day. I think he was asking for a clip around the ear but i also think that these situations can develop in to a bit of a pack mentality, i don't think the guy that threw him off was some sort of hero, in many ways i think the opposite. Stop at the next station and call the police would have been more appropriate IMO, as soon as they did call the police that lad would have got off the train and legged it anyway.

Im not soft of thuggish behaviour but for some reason i find the clip a little uncomfortable.
    Dave, a very reasoned perspective in my opinion.

What a twat for posting this on you tube, in this day and age you really can't do anything without someone getting it on their phone. tough luck that the ticket dodger got the boot.
    I used to be a bit of a fair 'avoider' when I was a kid but when caught I would do a runner it would never had entered my mind to get lippy with a guard, what is it these days with people who just can't cope with admitting any kind of culpability.
    Grumble grumble
    Joe