closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seamaster 1000M on ebay, again?

Seamaster 1000M on ebay, again?

The same seller sold (about £3,900) this, or one exactly the same, just a few days ago:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 690wt_1165

Seems curious that there's another up for sale straight away, and if it's the same one then why no explanation for why it didn't sell last week?

I wish I could afford one of these :(
    "A man of little significance"

Re: Seamaster 1000M on ebay, again?

Stunning watches.

So many watches seem to suffer the fate of relisting a few days later - I can only assume due to non payment / people backing out of deal.

That watch looks to be in very good condition, seems like a very good price to me at 3,900 ish £££.

Craftsman

This Seller has fairly a big amount of nice pieces for sale.

Craftsman

That is a very pretty watch. However worth the asking? I would rather have a newish ploprof.

Would you be paying tax/import duty on top of that as it's in Switzerland?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum
    I'd fly over and back same day and collect it. Best to see exactly what you're getting!

If it´s sent to the UK, or EU yes. Unless they ship it from within Germany, Italy, France or Austria, which would still leave you with a watch for which the tax hasn´t been paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    I'd fly over and back same day and collect it. Best to see exactly what you're getting!
    Fair point. Particularly as this seller doesn't guarantee that any of his watches will keep time after he's shipped them....

It's usually only £100 or so to fly out and back in a day, I would meet up with some customers out there and let me buy them some lunch! The import duty would just be too prohibitive, 20% VAT would add £800 to the bill.

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia

I spent a fair bit of time at the weekend with my nose pressed up against the window looking at this one.
    http://www.brisbanevintagewatches.com/s ... hp?id=1104
    I'd want a better bezel tbh

They are big. One thing to see pictures on here but very different to see it in person. (and a very rare opportunity, down here, for me).

Imagine your +20% on that. :lol:

I still don't have the nerve to go in and ask to try it on. :roll: One day, perhaps, when I can walk in with one of my own examples, to give me courage and keep the conversation going. (Just don't mention eBay. I did once and didn't really get away with it )

Just wanted to chip in with an observation on this one. The case is clearly new and remanufactured, as are the dial and hands. We have a picture of the inside of the case but no picture of the movement. The movement has been out to photograph the case, so why not photograph the (hopefully 1012) movement?

My suspicion would be that his watch has been made up from parts, if you ran an extract the movement number will probably not match a 1000. The movements in these rebuilds can often leave a lot to be desired...

It's still a nice watch though, if you don't mind it not being of Omega manufacture. Value wise, it cant be worth the same or even near that of an original example with some history. This may also explain why he has more than one for sale....

Quote Originally Posted by MR T
    Just wanted to chip in with an observation on this one. The case is clearly new and remanufactured, as are the dial and hands. We have a picture of the inside of the case but no picture of the movement. The movement has been out to photograph the case, so why not photograph the (hopefully 1012) movement?

My suspicion would be that his watch has been made up from parts, if you ran an extract the movement number will probably not match a 1000. The movements in these rebuilds can often leave a lot to be desired...

It's still a nice watch though, if you don't mind it not being of Omega manufacture. Value wise, it cant be worth the same or even near that of an original example with some history. This may also explain why he has more than one for sale....
    That's very interesting indeed. Where do you think the cases, dials and hands come from? Bespoke, Omega (somehow) or something like a modified Helson? One of the Australian ebay sellers has new dial and hands available for sale. Surely the Bezel would be a pain to reproduce? One would be possible but to have two watches (so far) available? The first one mentioned that it had been to Bienne, I wonder if this second watch is made up of the spare parts with new reproductions thrown in where necessary?

The listing says:

MOVEMENT:Mechanical Automatic Movement Exclusive 0MEGA MANUFACTURE CAL.1012 signed also OMEGA Swiss Made. working condition.

:wink:

This seller has had quite a few of these on the 'bay over the years, and the photos always look very similar. Every time he (or she) lists one I always email them to ask why there is no photo of the movement, and I always get the same reply - 'BECAUSE THIS WATCH IS CAME FROM SERVICE AND THE WATCH IS WATERPROOF SEALED. I DON’T OPEN THE WATCH .THIS IS AN MONOCOC CASE THE MOVEMENT COMING OUT UNDER THE SCREWED GLAS', -or a variation thereof.

Now I'm no expert but I would have thought that if you can get a photo of the inside of the caseback a photo of the movement would have been relatively easy?

Anyway it's enough to make me have a chuckle and wonder who he (or she) is going to fleece next...

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy
    Stunning watches.

So many watches seem to suffer the fate of relisting a few days later - I can only assume due to non payment / people backing out of deal.
    ...or the sellers also bid on their items to raise the price and probably win :lol:

I have seen this seller list a load of franken Heuer's over the last 5 years. She (the seller is a woman) has been discussed a number of times over on the Heuer forum with general consensus as her being able to have amazing access to rare and desirable parts but often we see a mis-match in Heuer executions and model cross over. It would not be difficult for me to imagine the same types of errors and build ups in other brands she offers.
    I would guess less than half of the Heuer's she has offered up during this period have been correctly specc'd.

Cheers

"She (the seller is a woman)"

Well I wish my wife had "access to rare and desirable parts" - other than my own.

And I wish she could knock up a Franken, even an inaccurately specc'd one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O
    Well I wish my wife had "access to rare and desirable parts" - other than my own.
    LOL :P

i bought this watch or one similar from this seller. I believe they have a few. The movement and all parts are Omega, but the case is odd. Not the same as the original Type 1 SM 1000 although i have never seen an original Type 2. The brush finish is sunburst and not radial as you would expect. The lugs are milled in a different direction to the other (very original)one i owned and the finish is of a lower quality. They only have one set of spring bar holes, they should have 2 pairs per lug. They all seem to have a defect running down the case back in a line. I have seen a few for sale with this case from various sources, always with a new dial,hands and restored case. They have Omega movements and the seals and bezel all fit and even pass water resistance tests, but i am still not happy with them. I returned mine for a refund, in person!

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays
    i bought this watch or one similar from this seller. I believe they have a few. The movement and all parts are Omega, but the case is odd. Not the same as the original Type 1 SM 1000 although i have never seen an original Type 2. The brush finish is sunburst and not radial as you would expect. The lugs are milled in a different direction to the other (very original)one i owned and the finish is of a lower quality. They only have one set of spring bar holes, they should have 2 pairs per lug. They all seem to have a defect running down the case back in a line. I have seen a few for sale with this case from various sources, always with a new dial,hands and restored case. They have Omega movements and the seals and bezel all fit and even pass water resistance tests, but i am still not happy with them. I returned mine for a refund, in person!
    Any chance it could have been a remodelled one of these?

http://www.helson-watches.com/sharkmaster/

i was in touch with Peter at Helson and his opinion was while it would be possible to make a case, his would not be a starting point.

i was in touch with Peter at Helson and his opinion was while it would be possible to make a case, his would not be a starting point.
    I have to apologise I now realise instead of chuckling I should in fact have posted a thread on this Forum to warn others - but I wasn't sure that the watches weren't 100% genuine. I am now.

I also thought about the possibility that the Helson Sharkmaster was being used as a base - in fact I believe there was another thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy1
    I have to apologise I now realise instead of chuckling I should in fact have posted a thread on this Forum to warn others - but I wasn't sure that the watches weren't 100% genuine. I am now.

I also thought about the possibility that the Helson Sharkmaster was being used as a base - in fact I believe there was another thread about it.

i must say that i can't state categorically that these watches are not genuine. The movement, dial, hands,bezel, crystal, crown and seals are all genuine Omega SM1000M service parts. Even the interior case engraving is good. Either they are service cases or made by some other case manufacturer commissioned by Omega to make spares or by some rogues, who knows? All i do know is they are very much like the Watchco SM300 watches, not vintage Omegas. BTW I got mine and returned it over a year ago so i am sure any warning may have been to late for me!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy1

i must say that i can't state categorically that these watches are not genuine. The movement, dial, hands,bezel, crystal, crown and seals are all genuine Omega SM1000M service parts. Even the interior case engraving is good. Either they are service cases or made by some other case manufacturer commissioned by Omega to make spares or by some rogues, who knows? All i do know is they are very much like the Watchco SM300 watches, not vintage Omegas. BTW I got mine and returned it over a year ago so i am sure any warning may have been to late for me!

I agree with everything you have said Simon ,

I worry about the Cases here as I have owned several SM1000`s over the years and the Genuine cases all have 2 sets of Spring Bar holes . I had a friend purchase one of these from the same seller ( she has sold at least 20 of these by now which is even more worrying ) Definitely seems like a put together watch and not a genuine SM1000 . Looks very nice nonetheless but buyers beware .

All the best,
    Vic :)

Is it OK to say here that this is ebay seller "watchmeisterin" so that when the link goes dead and/or someone Googles her ebay I.D. they can see this here?

Maybe Eddie or a mod will come along and say otherwise or even delete this post but until then it's watchmeisterin that we're talking about.

That's watchmeisterin.

Got it?

:lol:

Im with Vic and Simon on this, Yvonne has some 'interesting' watches and is almost always hard work with refunds. I was involved with Simon and his watch and STS did a thorough check on it for him to help him out and were very good to give their time freely for that as they were concerned about the watch too.

These days the prices of 1000ms are the lowest they have been for years, i would get one now if i didnt already own one.

Quote Originally Posted by JonW
    Im with Vic and Simon on this, Yvonne has some 'interesting' watches and is almost always hard work with refunds. I was involved with Simon and his watch and STS did a thorough check on it for him to help him out and were very good to give their time freely for that as they were concerned about the watch too.

These days the prices of 1000ms are the lowest they have been for years, i would get one now if i didnt already own one.

Yes i would like to thank Jon, and also Simon at STS for their help. It was a naive purchase by me and the help and information provided by them was invaluable! I have been back to STS regularly for there excellent work and superb service! I know Jon gets a lot of his watches serviced by STS and now i am lucky enough to know why!

I wrote the following post on the wrong thread, so let's keep everything in the same topics for future reference as there aren't a lot of references online about this rare beast:

Hi guys, sorry for bumping an old thread...

I've been offered (by an online dealer, who very often sells watches put together from different pieces etc) this SM1000 in a sterile condition that I've never seen before until I opened this topic...

This is definitely a franken watch even though it has the cal 1012, mesh looks like from baby ploprof, hands, dial look brand new, is it possible that they built these cases or it could be true that these are NOS cases from OMEGA? I really have doubts.

Thanks to this topic I am definitely staying clear of this one...
    Tom (dickstar1977) has been called out for his opinion but anyone else can chip in too...

Master
    Hi Guys ,

Simon has this one bang on . I have seen one of these in person and the same seller has sold at least 20 like this over the past 2 years . The Parts are all genuine but I do not know whether the cases were replacement cases built that they somehow got a bunch of and have been putting together SM1000`s for eBay sales . I own an SM1000 and have had several over the years and all of the cases I have owned have had 2 sets of lug holes whereas these do not .

This seller has been around a long time and sometimes has some wonderful Vintage Pieces . I do wonder about how many have been cobbled together from parts though and would be in no rush to purchase unless happy in the knowledge that this is what I would be buying and wearing .

All the best,
    Vic

Thanks Vic, that is appreciated. Might be a long shot, is there a photo of the lug pairs how they should look like?

Thank you

I've just gotten an answer from the seller that indeed there are 8 holes in total (2 pairs on each side)

Is this the real deal?! I'm PM Tom now.

I just understood that the watch in the photos I posted has been offered by the same seller (Yvonne) on ebay.

Just saw this today at my watchmaker, the original owner left it for service...What a piece!

The 1000m is a fantastic watch, no bones about it... no divers collection is complete without one :)

They are rare birds. I was offered one for 8K USD recently.....wish I could have done it.

Thread Resurrection!

I was chatting to a collector the other day who was buying an SM1000 and I ended up doing some photos for him to identify the replica cases from the originals. I thought I would post them here before they went in the bin! The more people who know about these the better! Here is a very nice original.

Last edited by simonsays; 5th September 2014 at 13:23.

And here is a Replica case.

Whilst we are twisting the knife into the reputation of the original ebay seller , i would also like to point out that she sells reprinted 70's Heuer instruction/warranty booklets as genuine even though the colours are wrong & there are spelling mistakes present.

Good info, thanks Simon!