closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches Worn in Space

Re: Watches Worn in Space

What about Fortis? Aren't they space watches or is it just a sales pitch?

Fortis supplied watches to the cosmonauts.

no one mentioned Casio G Shock, i have seen film of those in space, a 5600 i think?

Since 1994 Fortis has been the exclusive supplier of manned space missions authorized by the Russian Federal Space Agency.[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortis_Uhren

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays
    no one mentioned Casio G Shock, i have seen film of those in space, a 5600 i think?
    That was #3 on the list...

Quote Originally Posted by simonsays
    DW5600E

Here is mine with a SAR

Quote Originally Posted by Kutusov
    What about Fortis? Aren't they space watches or is it just a sales pitch?
    Official FORTIS spin from the FORTIS website -

Fortis watches with probably the longest experience in weightlessness:

Space proven since 1994
    The watches with the probably longest experience in weightlessnessCollaborating with astrophysicists, aerospace engineers and an international community of astronauts, the Swiss watch company FORTIS chose a self-winding movement for its reliance on kinetic energy. To insure that seIf-winding movement would maintain accurate time in space, scientists tested the Cosmonauts Chronograph within the Gagarin Centre’s massive high velocity TsF-18 centrifuge. The FORTIS models withstood an overload of 12 G. (12 times the Earth gravitational pulI) from three different angles with no negative effects. By comparison, most combat aviation equipment is engineered to withstand am maximum of 9 G.

The watches were also tested aboard a 1L-76 MDK, a four-engine jet which flies in a parabolic pattern of steep climbs and dives simulating zero gravity conditions. Even under weightless conditions, the watches demonstrated optimal performance. Finally, officials at the Gagarin Centre exposed the watches to extreme vacuum conditions within a pressure chamber. They tested it for 10-minute intervals at 40 mm Hg with no impact on the movement. By comparison, normal air pressure on Earth is 760 mm Hg. After passing all trials at the Gagarin Space Centre, the FORTIS Official Cosmonauts Chronographs made their maiden voyage with the Soyuz TM - 19 mission becoming the first automatic chronographs ever in open space. Crew members wore their Cosmonauts Chronographs in open space during the EVA for a total of more than 11 hours while preparing to dock with the Space Shuttle Atlantis. The Chronographs had to withstood temperature fluctuations between -170 degrees centigrade in Earth shade and a maximum of +130° centigrade when exposed to direct sunlight, at an orbital velocity of approximately 12,500 miles per hour. Since 1994 the FORTIS Official Cosmonauts Chronograph became the official standard equipment of the Russian space flight program.

Test report - Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph under space conditions
    http://www.fortis-watches.com/upload/SP ... t-FOCC.pdf

A selection of space missions with Fortis on board:
    http://www.fortis-watches.com/upload/SP ... lights.pdf

Well, there you have it then... Fortis had a watch in open space for more than 11 hours... I must remember that next time I hesitate between getting one of those or a 100ATM WR diver for those times I go for a swim on the Marianas trench. :mrgreen:

I guess it doesn't take much to be a space watch... here's another one:

Apparently it's no good for EVA duty because electronics don't get along very well with cosmic radiations...

Elektronika! Now we're talking!

They did a boatload of Nintendo Game & Watch clones too, sneaky Soviets :D

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Elektronika! Now we're talking!

They did a boatload of Nintendo Game & Watch clones too, sneaky Soviets :D
    And that one has a lot of cheesy western tunes :mrgreen:

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA
    Okay so how many watches is aloud to preform EVA:s by NASA?
    None. (The question is in the present tense...)

If the question was in the past tense (ie how many watches were once allowed to be used in EVAs?), the answer is two:

1) the Omega Speedmaster, and
    2) the other watch on Ed White's wrist (click here for a big picture, and another, it is quite obvious one is not a Speedmaster)

Grand Master

:D

If you mean "how many watches were allowed" to be worn while the astronaut (not the watch) performed the EVA, then the answer is one per astronaut. One astronaut brought two watches with him, one issued and one not. One broke, so he used the other one.

There's more than a whiff of the "Ferrari road test" about this thread...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    None. (The question is in the present tense...)

If the question was in the past tense (ie how many watches were once allowed to be used in EVAs?), the answer is two:

1) the Omega Speedmaster, and
    2) the other watch on Ed White's wrist (click here for a big picture, and another, it is quite obvious one is not a Speedmaster)
    Do you know wich watch/model the other one supposed to be?

Glycine Airman I and Bulova Accutron GMT 3755
    It is generally thought that Conrad wore a Glycine Airman :

Here someone has enlarged an sharpened the image and it appears to be an Airman along side the Omega

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

^^ Well, that explains Pete Conrad's two watches, but not Ed White's two ^^

What ever it is, Ed's other watch has at least one pusher, other images sometimes indicate two pushers, but i cannot be certain.

I want a go at being an Astronaut lol

I'm afraid you are all missing the right watch:

I know because I've been watching Stargate Atlantis and they all wear this one :mrgreen:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    ^^ Well, that explains Pete Conrad's two watches, but not Ed White's two ^^

What ever it is, Ed's other watch has at least one pusher, other images sometimes indicate two pushers, but i cannot be certain.
    Wow now this thread is getting really interesting.
    Great pics! Interesting Facts! Nice Accutron and what is it for watch on the above picture?

If I can add one more watch to the club.
    Probably a less known fact that, the Hungarian Astronaut Bertalan Farkas was wearing his air force issued Heuer Montreal during his space mission in 1980.
    (and still wearing it today as shown on the second image)

Another two for the list - Yes Inca and Yes Tati worn by 2008 Atlantis shuttle commander Steven Fricke -

Yes Inca titanium on right wrist

Yes Inca on right, Tes Tati on left - the others guys wearing Timex and G-shock?
    Cheers
    Steve

Thats a Timex Ironman right?

Quote Originally Posted by searat
    Another two for the list - Yes Inca and Yes Tati worn by 2008 Atlantis shuttle commander Steven Fricke -

Yes Inca titanium on right wrist

Yes Inca on right, Tes Tati on left - the others guys wearing Timex and G-shock?
    Cheers
    Steve

Guy in the red? Yes i think you're right, strap looks like the Ironman's. Been trying to figure out what the one at the top, resting on the shoulder of the guy in red, is?
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by SSK007

Guessing games are good :P

Quote Originally Posted by searat
    Guy in the red? Yes i think you're right, strap looks like the Ironman's. Been trying to figure out what the one at the top, resting on the shoulder of the guy in red, is?
    Steve

Blog Entries

All the above watches were worn on movie sets NOT in space. No one has been to the moon for gods sake!

Quote Originally Posted by bond
    All the above watches were worn on movie sets NOT in space. No one has been to the moon for gods sake!
    Link to "fake Moon landings thread" please :D

BTW, what movie sets? You believe in movie sets? Don't you know we are all just batteries? :wink:

My two 'space' watches.

Pre-Ironman/Datalink:

From the other side of the tracks to the Omega:

Greg Chamitoff, ISS Astronaut:

Q: Do you use a common wristwatch on board or do you have a special one? -- (Mauricio Londono, Colombia, South America)

A: Well, let me answer the question this way. (Lifts his arm to show the three watches on his wrist.) We’ve got a lot of different watches on board. One of these is actually for an experiment. It’s trying to look at the effect on sleep cycles and studying the amount of light that we’re exposed to and the movement that we have. It’s looking at both of those things in response to being in zero gravity and also the light and day cycles we have up here.

Another watch is a spaceflight-approved watch that NASA issues to us. And, that watch is a regular watch, but it also can keep track of a lot of different times, like GMT and Mission Elapsed Time and regular time, and it has some alarms on it that we can use. So, that’s kind of the daily watch that we use.

And then, I have another watch that I’m using, which is kind of more of a sports timing kind of watch, and I use that to get alarms set by synching it up with a computer for Earth observations because we get – daily – we get a sequence of opportunities to take a picture of something on the ground that has to do with a science observation opportunity from different sites around the world. And, it could be anything from looking at the way water use is affecting a particular region or how a region has changed because of burning or just a current hurricane, something like that that’s happening right now. So, this watch I use to set alarms for that so that throughout the day, the alarm goes off for that, and I can grab a camera, race to a window, and try to capture some pictures.

Anyway, you know, my dad always used to say that somebody with a watch always knows the time, and somebody with two is never sure. So, I’m pretty confused about the time, I guess.

Man thats a nice watch, where did you get that!

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s

I do hope bond isn't serious? Apologies if I'm misreading a joke, but we should respect what those people achieved, and honour the sacrifice of Grissom, Chaffee and White, and their Soviet counterparts, let alone the more recent deaths on the Shuttle programme - not pretend that human space flight is a hoax and that the data returned by Apollo surface instrumentation is rigged.
    Steve

Man thats a nice watch, where did you get that!

Cheers; it's a Soviet Air Force Sturmanskie ('Navigator') 31681 issued in/dated 1989. Calibre: 31659, which is a modified, (to hack), Poljot 3133 which itself is a modified Valjoux 7734.

Same as the one used in 1993 by Alexander Polshuk, engineer for the Soyuz TM-16/MIR-13 expedition, for the 193 days of mission, including EVAs:

(Courtesy Jon'@ATG)

Also used by the cosmonaut journalist Toyohiro Akiyama;

(Again, courtesy Jon'@ATG)

I got mine from Ebay, it's quite rare to find them with the original bracelet.

All the above watches were worn on movie sets NOT in space. !

Like we would buy into Hollywood marketing!!! Pah, I fart in your general direction!!

I mean, it is not like our watch buying is influenced by movies....

....or that watch companies would ever make a watch over a movie theme!!

...ohhhh

(*COUGH* - Appleseed -*COUGH*)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

...ohhhh

(*COUGH* - Appleseed -*COUGH*)

I LOVE that movie! First time I'm seeing someone mentioning it!

Oh, and the Appleseed thing... you are coughing because you are not supoosed to swallow those... :mrgreen:

I have not seen it, but now I want to! :P :lol:

BIG Sci-Fi fan. Makes me want to watch "Mission to Mars" now! Mmmmmmm, X-33.

I do not swallow :mrgreen: :lol: .......... have you seen how big those Appleseed watches are!

Here is another dedicated Mars watch BTW

I have not seen it, but now I want to! :P :lol:

BIG Sci-Fi fan.
    Mission to Mars is crap... but do watch Cargo! Very good for an European (well, Swiss believe it or not) production. Also Pandorum, if you haven't watched that already :wink:

...and I did see an Appleseed on ebay. The only thing I noticed was the price and that was that :shock:

Mission to Mars is not the most unforgettable move, no. But it does have the X-33 and that is a good thing in my book :P :lol:

Just checked Cargo on IMDB and will check Pandorum. Cargo sounds interesting.

In that vein, you need to see "Sunshine" ..... and only because this is a Moon thread, I recommend "Moon" with Sam Rockwell too :mrgreen:

I did see the (a?) Appleseed on ebay; price was Silly with a capital "S"

I am on the waiting list for the next generation Appleseed (or the next batch of the original model - which ever comes first) ... or at least, that is what I have been promised by a Citizen AD who got five (5) of the original Appleseed watches. They were gone in a flash BTW.

EDIT: Pandorum plot sounds interesting too. It has Dennis Quad in it and that is not always a bad thing :lol:

"Sunshine"
    Seen it, great if you pass over that Alien theme sub-plot

"Moon"
    Seen it too and loved it like all the other Darren Aronofsky movies.

You are going for the Appleseed?? :shock: How much will that set you back?

Oh, and just so that no one accuses me of straying off-topic, here's a couple of my space watches :mrgreen:

The leather straps are great for chewing if you end up stranded inside the MIR (RIP) for more than a year... :wink:

I should have elaborated; I am hoping, that a new model will cost less, but who knows, Citizen might want to keep it at a certain price. I am not privy to their price politics.

I was put on the waiting list for the (hopefully) new revised model.

It was then mentioned in passing, that instead of a new model, the AD might receive another batch (generation?) of the original Appleseed.

Right now, I can not see myself shelling out for the the original Appleseed at the original price.

Further more, I did not even for an instant contemplate buying the one on the bay :shock:

Further more, I did not even for an instant contemplate buying the one on the bay :shock:
    I don't blame you... 6K wasn't it? Plus, the thing didn't look as nearly as good as the cgi one on the advertisement. Could be the pictures though... :wink:

My sentiments exactly

:shock: I take it back... it's not that it doesn't look as nearly as good as the cgi one... that thing looks

The Fiyta Spacemaster

The watch comes equipped with an 8 hour rotating bezel since the survival period inside the Chinese Feitian EVA spacesuit is 8 hours.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

The Fiyta Spacemaster

The watch comes equipped with an 8 hour rotating bezel since the survival period inside the Chinese Feitian EVA spacesuit is 8 hours.

john
    That's a very interesting one, I had never heard of that brand. Looking at their website, I've got the impression they use mostly Japanese movements (quartz or auto). I couldn't find what brand of movements though... Miyota?

Master

I'm going to post a lot of words below, but i suppose anyone who has followed this thread so far is interested in the subject.

The below was just posted in the VRF by pitpro in response to a question about why the Speedmaster was chosen and not the Daytona. I would normally link to it but the VRF is such a weird forum that I can't figure out how to copy the link. Apologies to pitpro for pinching his post but I hope this acknowledgment will be ok.

First Speedmasters in Space : Mercury Program

The Speedmaster was first flight tested in space by Walter Schirra aboard Sigma 7, October 1962, it was not an official choice from NASA but Schirra's personnal choice (watch ref number CK2998 : the second model of Speedmaster)

The watch works perfectly and was used as backup to the on-board clock. On-board timing devices in the Mercury capsule were internal to the spacecraft and wristwatches had not undergone specific testing, as the astronaut never left the protected environment of the spacecraft.

On the last Mercury Mission, Gordon Cooper (watch ref number CK2998) wore both the Omega chronograph and a Bulova Accutron Astronaut in order to compare the accuracy of the manually-wound Omega to the then new electronic Bulova. The Omega was used to time the firing sequence of the retro rockets for re-entry.

Walter Schirra in Mercury capsule Sigma 7

3 October 1962

__________________________________________________ _______________

with the Gemini and Apollo programs, astronauts would also need wrist timing devices to help them with EVA activities, such as spacewalks, photographic timing exposures, and timing fuel cell purges. Such a watch should be able to operate in the vacuum of space where there exists wide variances in temperature and pressure.

Edward White during first US EVA : Gemini IV

9 June 1965

Gemini Program

In 1962, NASA decided to equip the astronauts of its future Gemini programm with a highly accurate, legible, resistant and reliable wrist chronograph.

Donald K. Slayton, head of the flight Crew Operations , took action to select the chronographs :

For the purpose of comparison tests, NASA purchased chronographs different brands from Corrigan's, a large retailer in Houston, Texas the following watches where purchased : Elgin, Benrus, Hamilton, Mido, Piccard, Omega, Bulova, Rolex, Longine and Gruen. Of theses only 3 where selected for the comparative evaluation testing :

Longines, Omega and Rolex (Omega movement : Omega 321 , Rolex movement : Valjoux 72 , Longines : Longines 13 ZN)

1965 first qualification program :

Model tested : probably 105.012 no documents found for the moment to firmly state this , but for sure a Speedmaster equiped with Omega 321 caliber

High temperature: 48 hours at 71º C followed by 30 minutes at 93º C. This under a pressure of 0,35atm and relative humidity not over 15%.

Low temperature: Four hours at -18º C.

Temperature-pressure: 0,000001atm and temperature raised to 71º C. Temperature then lowered to -18º C in 45 minutes and again raised to 71º C in 45 minutes. This cycle was repeated fifteen times.

Relative humidity: 240 hours in relatuve humidity of at least 95% and at temperatures varying between 20º C and 71º C. The steam had a pH value of between 6,5 and 7,5.

Oxygen atmosphere: Exposure to 100% oxygen atmosphere at a pressure of 0,35atm and a temperature of 71º C for 48 hours.

Shock: Six 11 millisecond shocks of 40g each in six different directions.

Acceleration: Linear acceleration from 1g to 7,25g within 333 seconds.

Decompression: 90 minutes in a vaccum of 0 10-6 atm and a temperature of 71º C and 30 minutes in the same vaccum but at a temperature of 93ºC.

High pressure: Exposure to 1,6atm for one hour.

Vibration: Three cycles of 30 minutes (lateral, horizontal and vertical), the frequency varying from 5 to 2000cps and back to 5cps in 15 minutes. Average acceleration per impulse 8,8g.

Acoustic noise: 130dB over a frequency range from 40 to 10000Hz for 30 minutes

Results of the tests :

Omega Speedmaster : gained 21 minutes during decompression test and lost 15 minutes during the acceleration test , the luminescence of the dial was lost during the test

Rolex Daytona : stopped running on two occasions during the relative humidity test and during the high pressure test when the sweep second hand wraped and press against the other hands

Longine Wittnauer : Crystal warped and disengaged during the high pressure test , same fault occured during the decompression test

Final conclusion : the Omega chronograph performmed satisfactorily

In 1965, NASA chose the Omega Speedmaster Professional as the official chronograph for the space program.

With the first Gemini flight (GT3) with astronauts Grissom and Young, the Speedmaster Professional became part of the standard equipment issued to the astronauts. The watch was worn on the outside of the pressure suit with the use of a large black velcro band.

The Speedmaster was worn during the first walk in space by an American, Edward White, in 1965. Two speedmasters were worn by each Gemini astronaut one set on mission time , the other one on GMT or Huston time.

1967 : Apollo Program

Due to its performance, reliability and success with the Gemini programm the Speedmaster Professional was selected again as the official chronograph by NASA for project Apollo.

Each astronaut wore one chronograph for spaceflight as a standard issue. Most, however, wore two during spaceflight. some astronauts have used other watches as backup only one speedmaster was issued to the astonauts.

A speedmaster qualified for space flight

__________________________________________________ ______________

The First watch worn on the moon ?

As the official chronograph for all Apollo missions, the Speedmaster Professional was worn by Frank Borman and crew on man's first journey to orbit the moon during Christmas of 1968

Anybody might think that the first watch on the moon was worn by Neil Armstrong ... but ...he did not wear his Speedmaster on his walk on the moon. An instrument had malfunctioned during the LEM's Decent and his Speedmaster was left in the LEM to serve as a replacement :

"our mission timer was out, and we decided we had better leave one wristwatch inside in case it (the one taken outside) got damaged. We would have at least one working watch to back up the mission timer or to use in place of the mission timer, in case we could not get it going again" Armstrong, from the 1969 Technical Debrief

Therefore the very first watch to be worn on the moon was Aldrin's Speedmaster

Which Speedmaster models had Armstrong and Aldrin ?

According to the Early Manned Spaceflight Astronaut Equipment Division of Space History
    National Air and Space Museum :

Neil Armstrong's chronograph has the following information: Calibre 321, Case # 105.012, Movement # 24002981, NASA serial # 046

Mike Collins' chronograph has the following information: Calibre 321, Case # 145.012, Movement # 26552506, NASA Serial # 073

Was the Speedmaster the only watch worn on the moon ?

Apollo XV, astronaut David Scott from a 1996 letter - "I do not recall ever having looked at my watch after egress. In the cabin after EVA-2, I noticed that the crystal of my Omega had popped off sometime during the EVA. Therefore, on EVA-3, I used my backup Waltham watch (which was) of a similar type. It worked just fine during the even higher temperatures of EVA-3.]".

Which models of Speedmaster where worn on the moon ?

For sure at least the two models of Aldrin and Armstrong : 145.012 and 105.012 both fitted with the Omega 321 movement.

Thomas Stafford wore a 105.003 during Apollo X mission he used the same watch as his previous missions in Gemini VI and Gemini IX

Astronaut Ronald Evans, Apollo XVII wore a 105.012 or 145.012 NASA Serial #61 during his mission to the moon . Apollo XVII was the last mission to the moon in December 1972 and we could not find any evidence that later model of Speedmasters have been ever worn on the moon

According to Omega : "Without having a firm confirmation from the NASA, it is obvious that the Moon Landing has been made exclusively with Speedmaster having the caliber 321 : tested by the NASA, hence if delivered in 1968, no chance to be on the trip...as they had more than enough watches, all equipped with the cal. 321 in stock !" Omega Vintage Information

This information concerning NASA stock is confirmed by the document of 1972 stating on watch stock :"NASA has purchased a total of 97 Chronographs. Theses chronographs were used on the manned space missions beginning with Gemini III. Of the 97 watches, 17 could no longer be used or had been lost. In 1972, there where an inventory of 20 unused units at the flight center . The remaining 60 units had already been used or had undergone repairs to bring them up to specification."

Aldrin on the surface of the moon 20 July 1969

Richard Gordon Apollo XII 14 November 1969

Conclusion :

The first watch worn on the moon was a Speedmaster 145.012 fitted with the Omega 321 caliber (Aldrin's watch)

There was at least one other watch brand worn on the moon : the David Scott's Waltham (Apollo XV)

The 3 different types of Speedmaster known to have been worn on the moon are the 105.003, 105.012 and 145.012 all theses models are fitted with the Omega 321 caliber

Occording to Omega informations no other types of Speedmaster have ever been on the moon , excluding the theory of a Speedmaster powered by the caliber 861 worn on the moon (at least as an official watch)

There is no evidence of any Speedmaster 145.022 fitted with caliber 861 ever worn on the moon

So which model is "the moon watch" ?

Funnilly the REAL "moon watch" is NOT the model which is engraved "the first watch on the moon"the 145.022, but the previous models both 105.003, 105.012 and 145.012 !

This does not mean that the 145.022 never flew on Apollo program : Donald K. Slayton watch (published in "Time Capsure") is clearly a 145.022 which flew during the Apollo-Soyuz mission

Bulova vs Omega

The use of Swiss chronographs in the American space program met with political resistance by a number of American watch makers, specifically the Bulova Watch Company. In the early days of the space program, Bulova did not make a chronograph, but makes a considerable pressure on NASA to use Bulova products. There were various meetings with NASA officials in order to promote the use of their products.

The conclusion of the Apollo program was nearing with Apollo 17 scheduled for December 1972. As this date approached, the Bulova Watch Company lbecame increasingly concerned that its products be used for this last manned lunar mission. General Bradley (President of Bulova) having determined that it would be impossible to overturn the support for Omega, switched strategy of obtaining the highest polical support in the US governement.

The wqtch issue was taken up to the congress which asked why the space program, undertaken by the nation, did not use a domestically produced watch

Thus it was decided by the Administrator on NASA, James Fletcher, that if a suitable Bulova chronograph could be found, it would be used on the last Apollo mission. Bulova had insisted that chronographs chosen by NASA follow the policy of the "buy American" regulations estalished by the Senate.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Second qualification program

In August of 1972, sixteen companies were notified by NASA that the Manned Spacecraft Center (MSC) planned to establish a Qualified Product List for possible future procurement of astronaut watches.

This list included: Breitling, the Bulova , Elmore, Elgin, Forbes, Girard-Perregaux, Gruen, Hamilton, Heuer, LeJour, Longines-Wittnauer, Omega, Rolex, Seiko and Zodiac.

Both Bulova and Omega were eager to comply with the "Buy American Act" which meant 51 precent of the products must be made or manufactured in the United States.

In order to comply with this act, Omega had the stainless steel cases for the Speedmaster Professional manufactured in Luddington, Michigan by the Starr Watch Case Company. The crystals were shipped from Switzerland to the Starr Watch Company where they were installed. The completed case and crystal were then shipped to the Hamilton Watch Company in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for inspection and testing. The case and crystals were then shipped to Switzerland where the movements were installed and the entire watch was subjected to final inspection and environmental testing.

The Bulova Watch Company submitted 16 chronographs for testing at this time. It was later learned that these watches were manufactured in Switzerland and that Bulova had purchased these chronographs through their subsidiary in Switzerland, Universal Geneve. The 16 chronographs were disassembled by Bulova in their research laboratory and a new crystal, a new machine case, specifically manufactured pin, a new crown and stem, a new face and dials and certain gaskets, washers and screws were replaced on each watch. The original movements and the back of each watch were retained.

When confronted with the fact that these watches were, in actuality, Swiss chronographs, Bulova stated that they had invested $23,000 of research and development funds in developing and tooling the process. Thus, by utilizing these R&D costs, the watches were found to qualify under the "Buy American Act."

1972 qualification tests :

Omega Model tested : 145.022 according Omega

1. Vacuum testing
    The chronograph shall be subjected to a vacuum of 1x10-6 Torr or better for a total of 72 hours. During the first 10 hours of testing the temperature of the items shall be increased to 160 (+/-10) degrees F. The temperature shall then be returned to 78 (+/-10) degrees F for the remainder of the test.

2. Oxygen Atmosphere/Temperature Test
    The test items shall be placed in atmosphere of 95 +/-5 percent oxygen at a pressure of 5+/-0.1 psia and a temperature of 155 +/-5 degrees F for 72 hours. Gas samples extracted from the chamber area shall be analyzed for organic and CO content per test number 6 of D-NA-0002.

3. Low Temperature
    The test items shall be lowered to 0 +/- 5 degrees F. This temperature shall be maintained for 10 +/-0.5 hours. The test items shall be allowed to return to ambient before functional testing.

4. Acceleration
    The test items shall be subjected to 20's +/- 2 g's in each direction of the three (3) perpendicular axes.

5. Random Vibration
    The test items shall be installed in a fixture and submitted to 7.8 g's RMS for 5 +/-0.1 minutes, as defined in figure 2 in each of 3 axes. The test fixture with the test items shall then be submitted to 3.2 g's for 12 +/-0.1 minutes as defined in figure 1, in each of the 3 axes [Eds. Note: Figures not provided].

6. EMI Test
    The test items shall be subjected to all applicable requirements of Mil-STD-461A, if an electromechanical movement is employed.

7. Humidity Testing
    The test items shall be submitted to a humidity test per MIL-STD-810B, Method 507, Procedure I, except minimum temperature shall be 68 deg F and maximum temperature shall be 120 deg F.

Results of the tests :

During humidity test the bulova watch stopped three times, and stopped again during the acceleration test. According to the criteria, it must be conclued that the Bulova chronograph is not appropriate for the Apollo missions.

1978 qualification tests :

The topic of astronaut timepieces was quiet for several years until 1976 when Bulova became interested in supplying time pieces for the Space Shuttle missions.

Once again, NASA initiated a competetive solicitation. A new deadline was extended several times so Bulova could participate.

In September 1978, astronaut chronograph watches wishing to be considered for the space shuttle program underwent yet another round of prescribed space flight environmental testing.

This included:

Vacuum
    Low temperature
    Pressure
    Vibration
    Acceleration
    Salt-fog
    Humidity
    Shock testing

The test where acheived by two independant laboratories : one in Switzerland : the Neuchatel Observatory and the LSRH and one in the US : : Approved test laboratories of Chatsworth in California

Omega submit 3 different models of watches for thoses tests : the Speedmaster Professional (cal 861) the Speedmaster "125" (cal 1041) and the Speedsonic (cal tuning fork 1255)

The technical evaluation team determined that, of the chronographs submitted by Bulova for space flight environmental testing, no single watch was exposed to all environmental tests. Also, one watch failed in salt-fog testing and all 3 watches exposed to vacuum testing failed. Accordingly, the Bulova chronographs were determined to be in non-compliance with the specified environmental requirements.

Once again, the Omega Speedmaster professional chronograph was superior to the other chronographs tested. The Speedmaster Professional met all environmental requirements, had the highest technical score, and was offered at the lowest price. Therefore, the Omega was accepted for procurement. The watch was offered to NASA at the cost of $0.01 per watch. NASA bought a serie of 56 watches after thoses tests

The 3 Omega models presented to the 1978 qualification :

The Speedmaster professional

The Speedmaster "125"

The Speedmaster "Speedsonic"

In April 1981, STS-1, the first shuttle mission, was launched with Commander John Young wearing the Speedmaster Professional.

Now that the shuttle flights have become operational, there are no longer requirements by NASA for specific watches to be worn during shuttle missions. With the exception of extravehicular activity, all astronauts are confined within the pressurized environment of the shuttle. Nonetheless, the Speedmaster continues to be used by many of the shuttle astronauts.

In 1989, with the Soviet Union's improved attitude toward the West, the Soviet Union selected Omega as the watch supplied to all cosmonauts.

My two 'space' watches.

Pre-Ironman/Datalink:

Greg Chamitoff, ISS Astronaut:

Q: Do you use a common wristwatch on board or do you have a special one? -- (Mauricio Londono, Colombia, South America)

A: Well, let me answer the question this way. (Lifts his arm to show the three watches on his wrist.) We’ve got a lot of different watches on board. One of these is actually for an experiment. It’s trying to look at the effect on sleep cycles and studying the amount of light that we’re exposed to and the movement that we have. It’s looking at both of those things in response to being in zero gravity and also the light and day cycles we have up here.

Another watch is a spaceflight-approved watch that NASA issues to us. And, that watch is a regular watch, but it also can keep track of a lot of different times, like GMT and Mission Elapsed Time and regular time, and it has some alarms on it that we can use. So, that’s kind of the daily watch that we use.

And then, I have another watch that I’m using, which is kind of more of a sports timing kind of watch, and I use that to get alarms set by synching it up with a computer for Earth observations because we get – daily – we get a sequence of opportunities to take a picture of something on the ground that has to do with a science observation opportunity from different sites around the world. And, it could be anything from looking at the way water use is affecting a particular region or how a region has changed because of burning or just a current hurricane, something like that that’s happening right now. So, this watch I use to set alarms for that so that throughout the day, the alarm goes off for that, and I can grab a camera, race to a window, and try to capture some pictures.

Anyway, you know, my dad always used to say that somebody with a watch always knows the time, and somebody with two is never sure. So, I’m pretty confused about the time, I guess.
    Andy, I think you have your photo or title mixed up, this is ( as Im sure you know ) a, a Seiko A839 as used on some early 80s Shuttle missions... Great watch....
    Cheers..
    Jase

The unsung hero of the space program is ... Rolex. Many 'nauts used them as their personal timekeeper. There is word doing the rounds that Omega paid to be on the program, something which does not surprise me.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS

In 1989, with the Soviet Union's improved attitude toward the West, the Soviet Union selected Omega as the watch supplied to all cosmonauts.
    In 1989, with the west interested in investing in the SU market potential, Omega offered to pay handsomly to enter in the russian space program. The sovjets were happy with this source of funding as the watch issue was of little importance to them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    The Fiyta Spacemaster

It is the Taikonaut Spacewalk watch:

It actually was worn going walkabout which makes it one of a select company.

Some more watches is space....

http://digilander.libero.it/generalresearch/main.html

Do not forget to check out the G-Shocks!

Every time I see I Seiko Pogue on here, I think to myself: "Why do I not own one of those yet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence
    Every time I see I Seiko Pogue on here, I think to myself: "Why do I not own one of those yet?"
    And what is the answer?