closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OT: Macbook advice please

Master

OT: Macbook advice please

I know that there are a number of Macbook enthusiasts here, so maybe some one could give me some advice. I have a standard 13" Macbook Pro, which is approx 16 months old. I'm considering what would be the best for an upgrade; more RAM (8Gb) or an SSD, or both, or sell it and buy the latest? Mine is the following spec:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B

Is there something really useful that I should be doing?
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f6

Re: OT: Macbook advice please

I would do..........

Nothing - decent spec, will run and process pretty much most things unless you are doing something extreme?

Had a similar spec for 3 years and apart from upgrading to Lion etc. it does everything?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Whilst I did not use my previous 13" MacBook Pro's for particurlarly intensive tasks I did upgrade the 2GB ram on the first one to 4GB and noticed a distinct advantage whereas when I went from 4GB to 8GB I could barely notice the difference in day to day use. I also wanted an SSD but took the opportunity to switch to a MacBook Air as they now come with the two features I had to have namely a backlit keyboard and a high speed input for transfer of the contents of any previous MacBook.

Personally I would keep what you have as there is likely to a MacBook Pro redesign next year which will bring better processors and SSDs plus maybe some other worthwhile upgrades (would love to see a retina display).

I would as already been mentioned stick in a bit more RAM if you must but hang on as there is a new Macbook Pro range immenent, so that will certainly be worth waiting for.

Another +1 for keep what you have, until Apple upgrade the macbook pro.

Master

Thanks All.
    What really triggered this train of thought was when I fitted a SSD to my wife's Toshiba and it improved dramatically and I began to wonder would the Macbook see similar benefits. Is Lion worthwhile then?
    We also have an older (4 years+ ?) white Macbook; one of the first Core 2 Duos, 2.0Ghz. It originally had 512Mb RAM and I fitted 4Gb, although I understand it can only 'use' 3Gb. Would a later OS help it too? Or a SSD - I don't need a large drive and the 64Gb are very affordable now?

Master

I suppose that it depends on what you are using the laptop for or if you are thinking of using a RAM hungry application e.g. photoshop or other similar photo of video editing software.

or whether you wish to store more data

match what you have to your future requirements and see how they compare - then it's upgrade or buy another

recent Apple products always sell well if in good nick

Thomas Reid

Although not an Apple user, I am a fan of SSDs. It makes a huge difference from the user perspective. I have a 80GB SSD on my office machine (use about 29GB). I have a 64GB SSD on my home workstation (use about 30GB). I only use it for the OS and standard storage. But, they zoom. My home workstation boots in about 15seconds, and shuts down in about 6 and things load really fast (partly due to having 8GB of RAM, most of which seems to be used as cache)

Things such as audio/video are on a larger, slower disk. When I work on still images (tif mostly), they are on the SSD, but then get moved to a slower disk. The way that I have it, it is immediate use on SSD, easy access on workstation HD (2.5 inch, 5400RPM), and storage on NAS.

So, I think that if I were in your situation, and were planning on upgrading soonish, I would, as others have said, let well enough alone. If you want to string things out, then a SSD might well be the way to go. (I don't know if you are allowed to upgrade the Apple machine with non-Apple parts, but I've been really pleased with my Samsung SSD.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

I have an earlier MacBook Pro with a 2.53GHz processor. The details are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

In May I fitted 8GB of RAM which made a big difference to performance. I then fitted a 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD which has transformed performance. From a cold start, it takes 17 seconds to be to the login screen. It then takes a further 4 seconds to get to a fully working computer. Photoshop CS 5 starts in 4.91s. iTunes starts in 1.8s. Aperture with a database of 18152 photos starts in 6.89s. Those are all a lot faster than they were before the upgrade.

Edited to add system info because I realised I had an earlier model.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    I have the same MacBook Pro with the 2.53GHz processor. I fitted 8GB of RAM which made a big difference to performance. I then fitted a 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD which has transformed performance. From a cold start, it takes 17 seconds to be to the login screen. It then takes a further 4 seconds to get to a fully working computer. Photoshop CS 5 starts in 4.91s. iTunes starts in 1.8s. Aperture with a database of 18152 photos starts in 6.89s. Those are all a lot faster than they were before the upgrade.
    Impressive
    RIAC

Craftsman

It depends what you use it for. I do a lot of image processing and use multiple virtual machines at a time, so the upgrade to 8GB RAM was the best thing I ever did for my MBP. If you're not using RAM-intensive programs then it's unlikely to be so noticeable. An SSD can make everything a bit snappier, particularly boot time.

I'm overdue an upgrade now as I've had the same machine for 3 years, but I'm going to hang on for the expected update to the MBPs next year...

I am gonna be in the Market for one myself shortly, i use an iMAC and a Macbook Pro, really could use an update on my Macbook mind,,

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72
    I would as already been mentioned stick in a bit more RAM if you must but hang on as there is a new Macbook Pro range immenent, so that will certainly be worth waiting for.

Sell up and buy a i7 laptop, but I would say that as I'm in the Anybutapple camp. :bom:

I don't like using normal laptops anymore :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    Sell up and buy a i7 laptop, but I would say that as I'm in the Anybutapple camp. :bom:

Craftsman

Nice, except that it's got the logo of an half eaten apple on it :)

Upgrade the RAM. At £50 for 8 gig, it's a no brainer.

I have exactly the same Spec as you, cranked up the RAM to 8 gig and it absolutely flies. Bought my memory from Crucial Memory

Master

OK, thanks for all of that. Seems like the best idea may be to wait for a new MBP. Maybe I should sell the white MB now and allow my current MPB to fill that slot when the new models arrive.
    Anyone want a white 2007 MB in excellent condition with 4Mb RAM and complete with box and discs etc?

Craftsman

Another vote for the SSD. A real game changer. I have a 2011 macbook air with a 120gb SSD and find the wife's macbook pro (also 2011) soooo slow. Seems sensible to wait for the new 2012 pro models 'tho.

Grand Master

Got my countdown timer on ready for a new pro. Maybe!!
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Upgrade to a decent SSD and grab a Time Capsule for the overflow storage... Simples 8)

If you must fiddle with it, go for an SSD rather than ram. If you then upgrade macs you can always remove the SSD and fit it to something else/sell it. But as you seem to already have decided anyway you'd be best to wait until end of March for the new line to be announced. And I wouldn't be surprised I SSDs or hybrid drives were a lot more affordable on the new models given that (a) Apple have been working on their own hybrid drive and (b) the current HD shortage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nr73
    If you must fiddle with it, go for an SSD rather than ram. If you then upgrade macs you can always remove the SSD and fit it to something else/sell it. But as you seem to already have decided anyway you'd be best to wait until end of March for the new line to be announced. And I wouldn't be surprised I SSDs or hybrid drives were a lot more affordable on the new models given that (a) Apple have been working on their own hybrid drive and (b) the current HD shortage.
    Seattle do a 500gb SSD hybrid. 8gb SSD slapped onto a 500gb SATA. Very cheap, but not the performance boost you think.

Grand Master

Anyone a ninja at fitting SSD into Macbooks?
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Piece of piss mate :) just make sure you get a 2.5" version and not a ziff!

It's dead easy provided you have the correct screwdriver. Go to iFixit or the Apple Support website for full instructions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    It's dead easy provided you have the correct screwdriver. Go to iFixit or the Apple Support website for full instructions.
    or go here - these guys are very good, if a bit red neck!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerbookMe ... dd+macbook

I should add, the correct screwdriver is needed for the four drive screws. You need a T6. There's a photo guide at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook-Pro ... ent/4305/1

Sooner the better :P

Got my countdown timer on ready for a new pro. Maybe!!

Thomas Reid

It may be a bad time to buy a HD, even a hybrid. The prices have increased because of the flood produced shortage. This shouldn't have an effect on SSDs. But, I suspect that more people are looking at SSDs as the price differential decreased (very slightly), so there aren't as many SSDs on sale at the moment. (I got my Samsungs at about 1£:1GB.)

Best wishes,
    Bob