closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from America

Craftsman

Buying from America

I can't help but notice on ebay that watches in general are a lot cheaper from the states. They look like reputable sellers/shops so why do we all not buy overseas?

Sorry if it's a stupid question I just can't keep ignoring the prices!!

Banned

Re: Buying from America

Quote Originally Posted by TT300
    I can't help but notice on ebay that watches in general are a lot cheaper from the states. They look like reputable sellers/shops so why do we all not buy overseas?

Sorry if it's a stupid question I just can't keep ignoring the prices!!
    20% import duty is a big problem. Some sellers do use parcel pro & will mark the value down, but you need to ask.

Journeyman

I thought the same when I first started collecting and bought a few from The States.

First one I had to pay duty, at the time an unexpected expense, but the watch was worth it.

Second one arrived ok, but not in the condition as described, I kept it anyway.

Third one arrived as an empty package ( padded envelope with a slit cut in the bottom?! ) This was when a delivered package was seen as a delivered item, contacted the seller who didn't respond to my emails....

There was no fourth time, too much hassle if something goes wrong+potential duty= no real bargains, all in my eyes of course.

Chris

Craftsman

Bought two oldies from the US recently, both exactly as described, very helpful sellers. Had to pay duty on one but not the other. P+P about the same. Guess its like anything unless you know the seller or they have good credentials beware. I think for some US brands then there is more stock out there in the US hence the prices reflect availability.

Import duty and the waiting game have put me off buying from outside the EU. My last purchase secured a watch at almost list price, even though it was a year old, and it took weeks and weeks and weeks to arrive.

My last purchases from US have all been fine: nothing too great mind
    1) Omega constellation cal 561 circa 1960
    2) 2 separate waltham riverside pocket watches

I also got the Timezone watchschool kit sent (from US I think?)

All arrived- No hassle. yes I had to pay import duty before parcelforce would give them to me however.

Master

It used to be worth it as not all packages caught the notice of the tax man. These days every one seems to be hit for duty, often with annoying delays in processing payment. I don't both now.

Duty is the problem - the parcel companies will declare packages to the revenue on the basis of their insured value. I've been hit on replacement items and have ended up having to pay the duty to get hold of it then try to claim it back afterwards.

Craftsman

Thanks guys,

I guessed as much with the duty i guess as long as a decent seller is found its game on.

Its the majority of the Rolex's which are priced alot cheaper than over here which almost make it far to tempting! Also alot of the US adverts have very detailed listings/photos etc much more so than most UK ebay adds.

I'll let you know how i get on.. :twisted:

I purchased a few things both watches and tech from the USA, never been lucky enough to not get taxed.. :( did have to wait a long time in customs as well, think it spend 3 weeks in customs 'waiting' state..

The annoying thing is the £15 quid parcel force charge for 'handling' - very annoying, more so on lower price items where the handling charge is more than the tax.. I've heard of people paying more in tax and handling than the item itself cost!

Have bought several and picked them up within the US. I bought all my vintage stuff from there from reputable sellers

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

they are cheaper but once you pay all import taxes ect is it really worth it?

If you've got friends in the states you can always get stuff sent to them and they can forward it to you as a gift. A lot of stuff is free delivery within U.S. borders

Quote Originally Posted by taz
    they are cheaper but once you pay all import taxes ect is it really worth it?
    Sometimes, it depends on the dollars value, currently it's somewhat (too) strong.

And sometimes you only can find what you want there, buying used but wanting exactly some strap and dial.

Just to be clear, there is no import duty payable on watches imported into the UK from the USA.*
    There is of course V.A.T. to be paid at 20% and the customs clearing agent's fee which varies but is normally in the £8 to £15 range.

Import duty, where applicable, varies dependant on the goods being imported and where they are imported from.
    V.A.T is payable on almost anything imported to the UK from anywhere outside of the E.U.

* Quote:..
    Like other products, watches are subject to an ad valorem rate of duty, which is 4.5%. Unlike other products, the rate is subject to minimum and maximum amounts per watch (0.30 Euro and 0.80 Euro respectively).
    This effectively means that the duty payable on a single watch, irrespective of value, cannot exceed 0.80 Euro (app. £0.70), as per the below calculation:
    1 x Rolex watch @ £5,000 + freight/insurance @ £50
    Total value for duty £5,050 x 4.5% = £227.25
    As this exceeds the maximum payable per watch, duty defaults to 0.80 Euro. With the minimum duty threshold of 10 Euro, this in turn defaults to nil. That’s right, zero import duty on your Rolex!

The last thing I bought from the states cost me $600 = £62 vat and duty a few years back. And yes they charge vat on the duty they just added. And as mentioned the value and description is written on the outside of the package. Perfect for any would be thief.
    When I opened the package all I had was an empty box. It was fully insured but as the insurance is with the seller its not worth a dot if he is the thief.
    I filled in all the forms for the seller then heard nothing. I can only assume the seller had the watch and the insurance money. Nice scam. Never again for me.

I got my reduced Speedy from america was a great sale for 600 quid including posing :D

Craftsman

Apologies for the slight change in topic, I have friends going to Florida over Xmas and thought that I might get them to bring me a non date sub back, any ideas of how much for a new one from an AD?

Craftsman

D'oh!

Did a google search and found it online.

Sorry for the stupid question and slight change in topic.

I buy from all over the globe. As I type this I have two incoming from different parts of the states, one from Australia, one from Israel and one from Norwich! Vat and Duty is a hit and miss affair at best - some you win some you lose but I always factor in 25% on top of the buying price and see if it's still worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    I buy from all over the globe. As I type this I have two incoming from different parts of the states, one from Australia, one from Israel and one from Norwich! Vat and Duty is a hit and miss affair at best - some you win some you lose but I always factor in 25% on top of the buying price and see if it's still worth buying.
    May I ask, what other resources do you use to locate possible purchases?

Quote Originally Posted by daxr
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    May I ask, what other resources do you use to locate possible purchases?
    I use eBay if I have to although I must admit eBay is more for parts and parts watches as far as I'm concerned. Other sources are a number of forums I frequent, and contacts I have made through said forums. Friends of friends if you like.
    I tend not to see something that catches my eye then buy it, I have a list of watches I would like to own and search for those in particular, either by scouring forums or asking other collectors if they know of where to find whatever it is I'm after. As I collect vintage pieces it can take months if not years to track them down sometimes :shock:

Craftsman

I was in the US last month and was looking at a new Rolex from an AD. They were almost 30% more expensive than in the Uk and that was before the local sales tax and potential tax bill when you bring it back.