closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETERNA super KonTiki watch I.D.

Journeyman

ETERNA super KonTiki watch I.D.

i recently purchased this watch from what seems to be a reputable dealer (it was not cheap!!!), however i cant find any information on this model whatsoever. its claimed to be an Eterna Super Kontiki mark 1 from 1957-58. it is slightly smaller than the superKontiki's of the early 60's that most of us know. any info would be greatly appreciated. i have a feeling that its a regular 50's Kontiki that someone has added a bezel to
    [img]/img]
    [img]/img]
    [img]/img]
    [img]/img]
    [img]/img]

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: ETERNA super KonTiki watch I.D.

Hey.
    You don't need to hit img on tz if you're pasting the image code straight from photo bucket.
    Here's your pics.

Journeyman

thanks verv - i was rushing out the door this morning and couldnt work out what went wrong.

from a response i got on another forum it looks like i may have a 1958 non bezel version with a MK II dial and a bezel attached. im starting to think that i have been taken advantage of here and that this watch really never existed from the factory, but im hoping its not the case.....
    anyone with advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated

Have a look ->here<- (an old review i wrote in french though, but nothing google translate can't sort out ;) )

To me, it looks like a mark II dial from the beginning of the 60's with a mark I bezel :?:

No Kontiki medalion on the caseback is more "disturbing" I'm afraid

Can't say about the case, but I suppose if the bezel fits, it might be legit ... ?!?

I'm not an expert but i think "franken" (sorry to say that). If you bought it from a professional, you should probabably ask for a refund :? ....

Regards :)

Journeyman

hi Pepere13, now we may be getting somewhere. in your article you have a model with a bezel and yellow or gold face. it is very similar to that one, and in fact the seller has sent me that exact photo only today as an example to verify it is legit, although mine has obvious differences like date and dial wording. do you have any more knowledge regarding this gold dial model? i couldnt really get anything from your article about it

Journeyman

well, i must admit to becoming a little disheartened with this purchase but i didnt want to give up on my search for info on it. on about page 20 of my Google search i found this photo tucked away in a very interesting French article.[url]http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa381/mickygeebanger/mk1kontiki.jpg/url]
    http://www.montres-de-luxe.com/Kon-T...1947_a210.html

its a photo of Jean-Jacques Weber's collection, he was the CEO of the company that distributed Eterna watches in France
    looks a lot like the one i have here, anybody know any info on this new bit of information?

forgive me if the pics and link dont post - im still trying to work this out

I've looked through my Eterna archive and I've got no KonTiki's with the bezel in feet (all the graduated bezels are 60 - 18), but it may have been made for the American or British market.

Also all the casebacks have the ship insignia - yours you can still very faintly see the 5 Eterna dots, but no ship, so may have come from another type of Eterna watch.

Master

Actually, if you enlarge the case back pic enough, the ship is there, so the case bck is right.
    Looks like you might have bought an uncommon version there.

Journeyman

the boat is on the caseback guys, its faint but the kontiki raft is on it

I'm pretty sure my SuperKontiki (my first serious diving watch) had the same bezel markings and was definately a GB market watch, I managed to bend mine :shock: Eterna couldnt/woulnt replace the case so I sold it -with a heavilly water damaged dial - wish I'd kept as I realise now that Eterna had probably got cases but the AD just did'nt ask the 'right way -You live, you learn!
    Good luck with it, they are lovely watches.
    Joe'

Quote Originally Posted by mickygee
    well, i must admit to becoming a little disheartened with this purchase but i didnt want to give up on my search for info on it. on about page 20 of my Google search i found this photo tucked away in a very interesting French article.[url]http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa381/mickygeebanger/mk1kontiki.jpg/url]
    http://www.montres-de-luxe.com/Kon-T...1947_a210.html

its a photo of Jean-Jacques Weber's collection, he was the CEO of the company that distributed Eterna watches in France
    looks a lot like the one i have here, anybody know any info on this new bit of information?

forgive me if the pics and link dont post - im still trying to work this out
    It looks like you may have a one of a kind
    Gray