closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eddie's Latest (PRS 25) Has Arrived!

Re: Eddie's Latest (PRS 25) Has Arrived!

Sorry for being late to the party but it looks like a very good Rolex Explorer homage.

Alex

Re: Eddie's Latest Has Arrived!

Nice pic :)

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    whats it like on the wrist simon?
    It's a step change from anything I own and seems to wear smaller than I had imagined it would. The bracelet is a quality piece with half-link adaptors and screw pins (I had to dig out my copy of Roger's Profanisaurus to get some variation into my vocabulary during the sizing but once done it feels very secure). Very nice weight, very legible and the subtle "Everest" in a perfect sans-serif font is fantastic when it catches the light.

I think that this is a very nice addition to the Time Factors range, a great way to see the Smiths name out there again and at the price, it's the best value I have put on my wrist in an age.

Here's a side-by-side with a Speedbird III to give an idea of relative dimensions.

Love that strap on that , great combo.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    Rather than delay the inevitable any further, it's now having some Toshi Time.

[/quote][/quote]

it's like a fat dude with a small head on the left and a skinny dude with a big head on the right.

the everest is a cracking watch but for me it is just wrong somehow, like the oversized seiko military 5

Sorry to be brutal, but I was very disapponted and have to let some steam out :roll: , I'd have bought 2 if they had been smaller, but there you go, it's the price I have to pay for being a minority and Eddie's done good to give the majority what product they want.

So my search for the 36mm railmaster goes on....

Master

I haven't been following this in the TF forum, so no complaints... but I really wish it hadn't been scaled up to 40mm. The size, imo, is the best thing about the original Explorer.

I know I'm in a minority there! Some great pics in this thread anyway, and the price of it looks excellent.

Eddie's Latest (PRS 25) Has Arrived!

I'm also in the minority, far too big for me. It's more or less the same length as the Italian!!

The Explorer is/was 36mm and 44mm lug to lug the Everest is 40mm (44mm with crown) and just shy of 50mm lug to lug. With these dimensions it's even bigger than a sub!!

So an homage in looks (kind of) but definitely not size.

Oh well, the small wristed Timefactors fans amongst us can always buy another PRS-10. I've got one on my Christmas list. :)

Quote Originally Posted by pashmolean
    I'm also in the minority, far too big for me. It's more or less the same length as the Italian!!

The Explorer is/was 36mm and 44mm lug to lug the Everest is 40mm (44mm with crown) and just shy of 50mm lug to lug. With these dimensions it's even bigger than a sub!!

So an homage in looks (kind of) but definitely not size.

Oh well, the small wristed Timefactors fans amongst us can always buy another PRS-10. I've got one on my Christmas list. :)

Dimensions on paper don't always relate to how a watch wears. It's over two years since I bought my last watch, and I've mulled over the PRS25 ever since it was mooted. I still hung back after it's release to guage opinion, and the excellent photographs we have seen here convinced me that it wont wear as big as the numbers might suggest. Watch (no pun intended) this space. 8)
    F.T.F.A.

I know what you mean, bezel shape dial size lug length/shape etc all contribute to how a watch appears in relation to its on paper specs. But in the end it's always the size it is, regardless of how it appears.

I'm sure it'll be a winner though as has been said, those of us that like a small (used to be normal) sized watch are in a minority.

If I was in Eddies shoes I wouldn't be comfortable making a watch 36mm with a lug length below 45mm because at the end of the day he needs to sell watches.

It seems only Rolex, Patek and A.Lange still make watches 34, 36 and 38mm now and two of those brands are way out of my price bracket!

Quote Originally Posted by bubi

the everest is a cracking watch but for me it is just wrong somehow, ....
    Eddie did say it was for men. dink

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Come on, this watch was discussed for a couple of years and the dimensions were no secret. It's only since it's been available that half the forum seems to want a boys' size.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I do plan to buy one of these. The width of the bracelet in relation to the head worries me more than anything else and when photographed off the wrist looks slightly out of proportion.... but the photo's on wrist look spot on. I will have to just take a chance on it.

The overall size of the watch is pretty standard for the industry and anything less would probably leave Eddie with a pile of unsold watches.

Master

The Speedbird III has always seemed like a small-medium sized watch against my standard fare so I did this comparison from the side-by-side photo to see the difference in the body size of the two watches. On a leather/NATO it does wear considerably smaller than the figures suggest, something which the wrist shots seem to portray quite well. The curves on the watch also detract from the overall appearance of size.

Master

I really like this and I'm hoping someone has one at SWHES tomorrow night. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Come on, this watch was discussed for a couple of years and the dimensions were no secret. It's only since it's been available that half the forum seems to want a boys' size.

Eddie
    I wouldn't say half the forum. The small watch lovers (we'll call them boys) are far outnumbered by the large watch buyers (we'll call them men).

I voiced an opinion on size as did a few others on the Everest thread but 'few', being the important word, meant there was nowhere near enough noise to influence the design decision.

Probably because we were too small to be heard ;)

Eddie
    I wouldn't say half the forum. The small watch lovers (we'll call them boys) are far outnumbered by the large watch buyers (we'll call them men).

I voiced an opinion on size as did a few others on the Everest thread but 'few', being the important word, meant there was nowhere near enough noise to influence the design decision.

I actually love the original size and it's good to get my 1016 back from Germany. It doesn't wear as small as the size suggests.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Eddie

So you suggesting the minority influence the influence of the majority?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Well as a new Everest owner I can say that I am well impressed.
    Explorer looks in a Milgauss sized case is a winner in my book.
    No pictures yet, although they won't be a patch on those already posted anyway.
    A happy bunny. :albino:

Ian.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I just ordered mine, for my birthday to myself.
    I like that it's 40mm.. Probably wouldn't have gone for one if they were smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Eddie

No.

There isn't a big enough market nowadays for new small watches. I accept this.

I also know, from my time spent here that if Eddie made a true homage at 36mm it wouldn't sell anything like this one will. There would be more people saying it was too small than there ever will be people saying it's (the current one) is too large.

If I started a watch company I'd make large watches. If I made ones that I liked at 34/36mm I'd go out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

Eddie

No.

I also know, from my time spent here that if Eddie made a true homage at 36mm it wouldn't sell anything like this one will. There would be more people saying it was too small than there ever will be people saying it's too large.

If I started a watch company I'd make large watches. If I made ones that I liked at 34/36mm I'd go out of business.
    If I started a business that made watches I liked it would be a non starter :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

No.

I also know, from my time spent here that if Eddie made a true homage at 36mm it wouldn't sell anything like this one will. There would be more people saying it was too small than there ever will be people saying it's too large.

Sad but true. And this drives some of us to the wacky world of vintage watches. Maybe we should be happy there, and happy for the PRS-29A.

I actually applaud Eddie for releasing a Man-size watch to Me it appears to be the right combination of size and aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitSecond
    No.

Sad but true. And this drives some of us to the wacky world of vintage watches. Maybe we should be happy there, and happy for the PRS-29A.
    Absolutely, and the PRS-53, PRS-18, PRS-22, PRS-10 all of which I've owned at one point. I'll have another PRS-10 on my wrist again come Christmas day all ready for an all out war over a good game of Risk!

Quote Originally Posted by Routers
    Well as a new Everest owner I can say that I am well impressed.
    Explorer looks in a Milgauss sized case is a winner in my book.
    No pictures yet, although they won't be a patch on those already posted anyway.
    A happy bunny. :albino:

Ian.
    That is an excellent analogy. To add to it, the larger oyster Tudor are far more desirable than the standard cased ones.

To me, those who want a 36mm homage ... just want a Rolex and either they can't afford it or their wives won't let them. :twisted:

For £200 the Smiths version of the Everest watch absolutely rocks! If the PRS-29b did not exist I would have had two of the 25 one on bracelet and one on Natos and would have been just as happy.

The story (mostly fictionalised and romanticised ad infinitum) is only half the story. The other half is the watch itself. The design, materials, execution, and capabilities.

I like what Eddie is doing with Smiths. Most of the models already released are a tad tongue-in-cheek. :wink:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

........if Eddie made a true homage at 36mm.........
    A 'true' homage doesn't have to be an exact copy.
    The 25 is the truest kind of homage in that it pays its respects but isn't just a duplicate of the original :)

Master

I also know, from my time spent here that if Eddie made a true homage at 36mm it wouldn't sell anything like this one will. There would be more people saying it was too small than there ever will be people saying it's (the current one) is too large.

Interestingly the Timefactors website shows the 36mm Smith Military (PRS-29) has sold out, but there are plenty of the 39mm ones available.

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah

Interestingly the Timefactors website shows the 36mm Smith Military (PRS-29) has sold out, but there are plenty of the 39mm ones available.
    could be to do with price. bigger one is substantially more expensive, primarily due to crystal i think.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    The design, materials, execution, and capabilities.
    thats what it comes down to in the end. the endless debates about degree of homageness / relation to previous models is just that - debate
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by simonrah

Not really when you figure-in all the ones who wanted the 36mm because they were alive when the original W10 first came out and probably already have one and they wanted a copy to wear so as not damage their treasured vintage.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

It's not as if 36mm or 40mm were the only options. The dial looks like it was designed for a 38mm case and Eddie ordered a 39mm case, getting 40mm 'by accident'! If this had been 38mm the dial/hand proportions would not have looked so odd, the lug-to-lug distance would not have been so challenging and the lug width could then have been 20mm. As far as the influence of forum consensus on final outcome is concerned, I never got the impression that Eddie paid much attention to this. He just gets on with what he wants to do.

Martin

But the dial / bezel proportions are right and presumably a smaller dial would have had smaller hands. I can understand people wanting a smaller watch, and possibly narrower lugs, but the general proportions are fine.

In terms of the size the Everest really isn’t that big. Sure I didn’t expect it to look quite as large when I removed it from it’s packaging, however when it went on my (admittedly very thin wrists) I was very pleased with the way the watch looks and wears.
    My only problem now is that the Everest has given me a real appetite for picking up a current generation Explorer. Unfortunately that will require quite a bit of saving, thankfully the Everest is such a nice watch it’s preventing me doing something which may immediately dent my bank balance.

Like it, perfect for exploring mout everest ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    It's not as if 36mm or 40mm were the only options. The dial looks like it was designed for a 38mm case and Eddie ordered a 39mm case, getting 40mm 'by accident'! If this had been 38mm the dial/hand proportions would not have looked so odd, the lug-to-lug distance would not have been so challenging and the lug width could then have been 20mm. As far as the influence of forum consensus on final outcome is concerned, I never got the impression that Eddie paid much attention to this. He just gets on with what he wants to do.

Martin
    The dial was designed for the size of the case. For you to say you think it was designed for 38mm, you would have to know what my specification and dial design was, which you don't.

As far as the influence of forum consensus on final outcome is concerned, I never got the impression that Eddie paid much attention to this. He just gets on with what he wants to do.
    I really do take this as a deliberate insult.

Eddie

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    It's not as if 36mm or 40mm were the only options. The dial looks like it was designed for a 38mm case
    The dial was designed for the size of the case. For you to say you think it was designed for 38mm, you would have to know what my specification and dial design was, which you don't.
    I did not mean to give the impression that I thought it had been designed for a 38mm case, just that I thought it looked like it might have been. I say this only because of the small radius of numerals compared to case size. It is something that jars to my eyes but I often find that what might jar initially, I get used to and eventually come to appreciate.
    As far as the influence of forum consensus on final outcome is concerned, I never got the impression that Eddie paid much attention to this. He just gets on with what he wants to do.
    I really do take this as a deliberate insult

Eddie
    I genuinely did not intend it to come across as such and apologise if you took it that way. I made the comment more out of a begrudging admiration of someone who knows what they want to do, and just gets on with it. But this impression has been formed from your more recent projects which, at least from my perspective, did not appear to result from any collective process but just sort of arrived fully formed.

Martin

I really do take this as a deliberate insult.

Eddie

Eddie
    I think the comment was intended to say something in the spirit of "Eddie's designs are not necessarily shaped by forum-opinion" - not intentionally insulting, just a bit thoughtlessly worded. As it happens, forum-opinion or not, the end-results are lovely, of unparalleled vfm, and popular-enough around here, aren't they?

Trying to persuade myself that an early everest-shaped Xmas present to myself is not necessary!

If everyone buys an Everest till its sold out maybe the next one could be a K2 slightly smaller obviously and for the tiny of wrist maybe a Ben Nevis ?

I am loving my Everest the dial size is great it doesn't wander round my wrist like most bracelet watches and great value. I took it to my local jeweller to resize the bracelet for me and he was very impressed with quality and build. Great watch keep them coming but not till I have some more spare cash :)

Craftsman

thats a very nice looking watch if only it was a few mm bigger.

Master

I saw one in the flesh (Ben's) at the SWHES GTG last night and it's a great watch. The proportions are right, don't be deceived by the photos as the domed plexi has a way of making things look different than they are in real life.

I liked it so much that I placed my order there and then on my iphone. In fact I almost ordered two :?

I'm now really looking forward to Christmas :santa:

Cheers - Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot
    I saw one in the flesh (Ben's) at the SWHES GTG last night and it's a great watch. The proportions are right, don't be deceived by the photos as the domed plexi has a way of making things look different than they are in real life.

I liked it so much that I placed my order there and then on my iphone. In fact I almost ordered two :?

I'm now really looking forward to Christmas :santa:

Cheers - Simon
    So that's what you were doing!!! :D

I was pleased to get to see the PRS-25 last night as I can never tell what a watch will actually look like from plans/pics! :roll:

Having now handled it I reckon it's going to be a very popular model: it wears really well IMO, the size is just right, very legible dial & hands combo and I love the way the 'Everest' brightens and darkens as the watch is tilted. Many favourable comments from the attendees and nothing to fault it either.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

congratulation, very nice!

The fact that it's a homage to the ZEX (it has also been noticed on other forums) just does it for me. :lol: 8)

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Anyone tried wearing this under shirt cuff?

Got mine this morning and first impressions are it's a very bold looking. well proportioned and well constructed watch. I really could not be happier happy with it and size wise it's just what I want.
    I think come the 'It's Friday thread' there will be a fair few pics of these on the wrists of happy new owners -including me- :D
    Joe

Craftsman

TTT!

#51 arrived in Kiel, Germany, this afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K
    first impressions are it's a very bold looking. well proportioned and well constructed watch. I really could not be happier happy with it and size wise it's just what I want.
    What he said! :)

Really a lot of details to explore, particularly the domed crystal and what it does to the marks and numbers on the dial!

Thank you Eddie! :)

Cheers,

Andreas

:)

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum
    Anyone tried wearing this under shirt cuff?
    It fits fine under a casual shirt cuff. I've not tired it under a work shirt but don't see it being a problem. It's very similar in size to a Speedy Pro which fits fine.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus

That's lovely. Where do you get such a nice grey RAF style NATO, if I might ask?

Master

Mine's just arrived :D but I can't wear it until Xmas :cry:

Had a good look at it though and I have to say that the size and proportions are just right. I certainly would not want it to be a smaller diameter.

Well done to Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus

Where do you get such a nice grey RAF style NATO, if I might ask?
    It's one of Eddies, with the "extra bit" cut off. It's a lighter shade of grey in reality than my picture might suggest.
    F.T.F.A.