closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: After selling a watch...

Journeyman

After selling a watch...

Just wondering if people mind to share how they feel after selling watches...... is it normal to feel a bit sad :? ?

I just sold my Omega constellation yesterday (http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/const ... 0?type=501). The watch is in top condition with full B&P etc (bought new 7 years ago) having just come back from a full service with Omega. I sold it for £1000 cash which I thought was a good price.

Two quick questions, hope people do not mind as might seem silly:

1. Please do others feel sad when they sell on their watches? Not sure if it is because it is the first time I sold a watch (and it happens to be my first 'proper' watch) - but there was a feeling I lost something forever even as I literally took the cash to the bank and deposit in my bank account :( .

(Maybe I would feel better when I buy another new watch :roll: ? I am hoping to get my hands on the new Explorer II by end of the week, not decided on the white or black dial yet thought I like the black dial but when I look at them in the flesh / on my wrist the white seems to be nicer... but then apparently the lume shot on the black dial is more impressive?)

2. Please did people think the price I got was good or could I have sold it on for a bit more. The reason why I thought I did ok was comparing to the quotes I got from other dealers I thought the price I managed was alright. (The service costed £275 so perhaps I only got £725 after deducting service cost from £1000 cash, but long story short I was given a voucher for use against a full service for any Omega future in future because of all the issues I had with the service of this watch and the watch got sent back for a few times - so in a sense the service for the Constellation I just sold did not cost me anything).

Any thoughts / comments would be much appreciated :bounce: .

Re: After selling a watch...

I have only sold one watch in my life, and it is abit of a sad occasion when it happens so its normal to feel that way i think :)

How about buying a new one to help you get over it? :D

afterall is is nearly christmas :D

Quote Originally Posted by maxw

Quote Originally Posted by maxw

Agreed ! .....I very rarely sell for teh sake of selling now ......there has to always be a reason , and 99.9% of the time , its to buy another watch :D

Got watches in my box, nice, expensive watches at that, that I just never wear, and though I've tried, I cannot bring myself to sell them! A watch is just too personal to be dispassionate about in my opinion. So I'm with the OP, I think I would be gutted after a watch sale.

Plus 1. It is a watch and unless it has true sentimental value, it should not make you sad at all. Life and love are way more important than watches.

Quote Originally Posted by highland
    Do I get sad? No, it's just a watch and there's more important things in life to worry about

Master

It depends on the reasons why it was sold.

If its not being worn - Not sad
    If its to fund another purchase - Not sad
    If its because I need to raise money for something other than a watch - Very sad

Master

Price is probably reasonable - I bought a 6 years old one with diamond dot dial in mint condtion from a dealer well known on here for £1100 about 8 months ago.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by catflem
    It depends on the reasons why it was sold.

If its not being worn - Not sad
    If its to fund another purchase - Not sad
    If its because I need to raise money for something other than a watch - Very sad
    Yes thats quite true.

I get sellers remorse quite a lot, I certainly did after selling my mm300 anyway (see the third 'reason for selling' listed above). I also get buyers remorse too if I'm spending a fair wedge of cash that could probably of been used for 'other' things, say round the house or something....

Just cheered myself up by buying a seiko skx007 for less than a tenth of the price of the mm300, very pleased with it, just goes to show you don't have to spend loads to get pleasure from this hobby/disease :shock: :lol:

:D

Master

Whilst there will be reasons for selling it, there were also reasons why you bought it in the first place, and often those still apply.

So yes, I often feel a bit sad when selling a watch. I find the worst part is when you're hovering over the 'submit thread' button to put the thing on Sales Corner :(

Always sad to see a watch i have painstakingly researched, hunted, tracked down & acquired let loose into the wild again but it is always in order to procure my latest "must have" so the sadness is tempered by the thrill of the new acquisition. My biggest WIS nightmare would be to win big on the lottery & just be able to buy any watch that takes my fancy, i think once i'd cleared out SC & all my local AD's the novelty would soon wear thin & then all the magic & thrill of the chase would be gone. :cry: :lol:

I was sad when sold my IWC mk XV earlier this year, but happy with what I bought with the proceeds.

But would still like to replace it one day :)

Had to let a few go when I was between jobs, sad times but helped get things going...

Yes. Some I haven't been worried about but a few I've had to sell I do miss and will probably try to replace them at some point. I'm going to see if I can keep hold of the watches I have now and just try to expand the collection.
    "A man of little significance"

I was relieved. Seriously :)

I had to sell two watches because of I had Omega Speedmaster in local pawnshop for incredibly low price.

Master

I plan to never sell a watch, unless I have to financially, because I am trying to build a collection. Aiming for twenty watches.

Journeyman

Thank you so much to everyone for sharing...... I sold the watch to fund a new purchase, and yes when I got hold of the new watch I also got over the loss of the one I sold :D .

I was torn between the white and black dials of the Explorer II 42mm, having looked at both on my wrist decided the white looks better so went for it. I was a bit OCD about the watch needing to be as fresh from Rolex as possible (i.e. not been on display and tried on / knocked about too much) and the AD was good enough to locate one in London for me that fits the bill, this I was happy about as not impressed about the condition of a display one I saw over the weekend with a small ding on the caseback.

Not posted pictures before and rubbish with cameras but would take some pics using an iphone tomorrow and give the uploading a go (I remember seeing instructions about how to post pics sometime ago so would search for it). Peeled off all the protective stickers already hope that is alright as I note people normally leave the stickers on etc when I see pics posted on this forum. Still trying to get used to the weight of this new watch though v happy.

That doesn't surprise me....the only time it doesn't work is if you get new watch and are underwhelmed by it....

I find its the same with cars...worse actually. You even forgive them all the idiosyncracies as soon as someone offers to take it off your hands and hand over car with tear-in-eye.....that is until "new car" turns up.....

So I am guessing you are happy with "new watch" and your sellers remorse is forgotten.....we'll see you flipping on SC before too long then! ;)

Grand Master

Not so much with watches more so with bikes, I decide to sell a bike on as its last years and I have the new years colours etc and think oh well Ill never ride it then when the new owner wheels it away Im gutted to see it go and left feeling empty with a pocket full of cash!

Then buying a new one never feels so fantastic
    RIAC

When I've sold a watch, it's always been to make way for another one, so there's been a good side to it.

Quite often there is some regret, then I'll start hunting for something similar again sometimes.

. :wink: