closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miyota a dealbreaker?

Master

Re: Miyota a dealbreaker?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    When Eddie used to stock the Zeno Explorer with a choice of ETA or Miyota movements I bought the latter as it was cheaper without, in my view, any reduction in quality or efficiency; or to put it another way the ETA-equiped model was unjustifiably more expensive. And of course it functioned perfectly well.
    Yes. Actually I didn't know there was an ETA version when I bought mine (in 2001), but that was my experience as well. Certainly wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but I can't say I found it particularly interesting either. Just did the job.

Master

Prefer the 2824. Lack of etachron and that cheap japanese shock-proofing is a hassle to work with. The 2824 looks alot more sturdy too.

Quote Originally Posted by SIB
    Afraid not mate it was some Panerai watch which, whilst admitedly higher priced than Eddies offering, was the cause of great concern and outrage when a member of another forum took the back off it and found out it didn't have a decorated movement :roll:. As far as i understand (and i may well be wrong as i didn't read all 40+ pages of the ensuing post....), Panerai never said the movement inside the case was decorated however there was an expectation on peoples part that as the watch cost so much it should naturally be so.
    I think the problem was that this $5000 (or whatever) watch was sold featuring the PAM XXIX (or something) movement. When opened, it turned out that this was a basic undecorated 6497 from the ETA bargain bin, identical to those sold in those bargain basement base-metal pocket watches that you can pick up on Ebay for 50 quid.

Miyota 9105

The one in my Armida keeps stunningly good time. Better than most of the ETA's in the box

Craftsman
    This thread is over 2 years old, but since it's been resurrected does anybody know if the hour hand sweeps like an ETA does?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    This thread is over 2 years old, but since it's been resurrected does anybody know if the hour hand sweeps like an ETA does?
    Not sure what you mean, exactly. The Miyota 9015 is a perfectly normal mechanical automatic much like the ETA 2824-2. In terms of wearing or using the watch you would not necessarily be able to tell the difference.

I have 2% movement related returns under guarantee with my ETA2824 powered watches, it's not even 0.5% with the Miyota powered watches.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Personally I will definitely get a watch with the 9015 in the future. I read only good things about it, I would like to try it, I like having different movements in my collection, watches with the 9015 are still reasonably priced, I like several models with this movement, with our hosts PRS-18 being in the top of my list of the watches I like with this movement. Definitely not a dealbreaker, the opposite for me.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I have 2% movement related returns under guarantee with my ETA2824 powered watches, it's not even 0.5% with the Miyota powered watches.

Eddie
    That reminds me of that anecdote about the Japanese parts manufacturer misinterpreting a request for "not more than 1% defective parts" as "1% defective parts" and so shipping the entire order of perfect parts plus a note apologising for not being able to provide the requested defective parts as they hadn't made any.

In reply to the original question, I'm a Seiko junkie, I doubt I'd turn my nose up at a Miyota movement.

On my Miyota-powered Halios, unscrewing, winding and screwing the crown back down feels like mixing cement, but I don't know what to blame that on. The Miyota in my Everest is much smoother.

If the beat rate of the movement is the same, I would expect the sweep would be the same(i.e. the number of times per second the second hand moves, making it look smooth from a distance), unless some strange cam mechanism was used to slow or increase.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    If the beat rate of the movement is the same, I would expect the sweep would be the same(i.e. the number of times per second the second hand moves, making it look smooth from a distance), unless some strange cam mechanism was used to slow or increase.
    Although note that coldwarkid asked about the hour hand sweep, which is why I was unsure of what he meant.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Although note that coldwarkid asked about the hour hand sweep, which is why I was unsure of what he meant.
    Yes, I'm an idiot. I did of course mean the second hand.

It would have no impact on my decision

Blog Entries
    Yes, I'm an idiot. I did of course mean the second hand.
    Ah. :-)

I can't recall what the frequency of the 9015 and the 2824 are (although I'm sure others can tell you) but I can confirm that there is no noticeable difference in day to day use.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 8th March 2014 at 23:42. Reason: Fixed typo in name of Miyota movement

Craftsman
    I mentioned on the Orient forum on watchuseek that I found the ETA2824's sweep more aesthetically pleasing than the second hands sweep on my Orient, which because of it's slower beat seems to stutter. Big mistake. It was just a casual observation but several guy's took massive offence and very personally attacked me for being a swiss-o-phile ( whatever that might be), and gave me a long, rambling, saying a lot but not really saying anything, lecture on the reason why I was full of sh*t for stating a personal preference. Weirdly, after someone else suggested they keep it on topic they all immediately did and one of them deleted all his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Ah. :-)

I can't recall what the frequency of the 9105 and the 2824 are (although I'm sure others can tell you) but I can confirm that there is no noticeable difference in day to day use.
    both are 28,800 beats per hour

Master
    I have had a miyota equipped watch before, it was a microbrand, the name of which i cant remember. It was perfectly fine, but i did notice that the second hand had a bit of a stutter, it didnt seem to affect time keeping in a terrible way but there was a noticeable and irregular stutter.

Given a choice, i would not choose a miyota again given my current experience but if i was to see one which ran as smoothly as my other movements, i would happily update my opinion

Blog Entries
    I had Artego with the same second hand problem,miyota thing...

The seconds hand on my Miyota 9015 powered Kemmner watch looks as smooth as my Swiss watches. It's running +1.8 seconds a day on the wrist, which is better than your average 2824. The movement decoration/finish looks better than your average 2824 as well.

Master
    The jitter in the seconds hand could be due to the length of the seconds hand making it more visible in a longer hand, or a longer run to the banking on the pallets, where the escapewheel actually moves backwards for a few hundreths of a second.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I have had a miyota equipped watch before, it was a microbrand, the name of which i cant remember. It was perfectly fine, but i did notice that the second hand had a bit of a stutter, it didnt seem to affect time keeping in a terrible way but there was a noticeable and irregular stutter.
    Was that a 8215 rather than a 9015? The 8215 was well known for having an occasional 'stutter' that was due to the mechanical design of the movement. To the best of my knowledge, the 9015 is not known to suffer from this.

Master
    Just done some searching and remembered that mine was a benarus sea devil and was fitted with an 8215.

If newer movements runs smoothly, id have no particular issue depending on price.