closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miyota a dealbreaker?

Blog Entries

Miyota a dealbreaker?

Eddie's new watch has the new(ish) miyota movement in it.
    For me this makes the watch more interesting, I really would like to try this very well received movement.
    But for someone who replied to Eddie's post it was a "dealbreaker".

Is the boring 2824 preferred by most, or are there more people who would like to try out this miyota movement?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Re: Miyota a dealbreaker?

As far as movements are concerned, for me variety is the spice of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Miyota a dealbreaker?

Ok it's a bit new, but by all accounts pretty damn good. Up there with the ETA-2892, it a top end movement. So no, not a deal breaker by any stretch.

The Miyota 9105 wipes the floor with the bog-standard ETA 2824, and that's a fact :D

Blog Entries

The base of the movement is even used for the high-end "The Citizen" movement.

Daddel.

Not a deal breaker for me, Im actually keen to see how it performs.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a direct comparison review of the 9015 and 2824, none that I can find anyway. There's more info and pics of the 9015 on the link below though.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/miyota ... 78224.html

Cheers,
    Gary

total non issue. if they dont like that movement they can wait for the vanguard.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Miyota a dealbreaker?

I think the 9015 is a great movement. It is a world away from the well known 8215. Total non-issue

What's not to like? 24 jewels, manual / auto-winding (clockwise only), slim (under 4mm thick), small (26mm), relatively accurate (10-30s / day). Cheap (c200USD discount vs ETA on other micro brand models). Not as shock-resistent as some, but... Seems like a winner, given the current plans that Swatch Group has for ETA movements... the non-use of the date is interesting tho.

Blog Entries

Good to hear the positive thoughts about this non Swiss movement being used.

Daddel.

Craftsman

I have three 9015's and three 2824's

One runs as well as the other, one is Japanese and the other is Swiss, both have the same features and I can't see either from the outside of the watch ;)

Most Japanese things tend to be super reliable, why would this be any different?

Certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Grand Master

For my money I'm happy with that miyota. I have too many 2824 as it is
    And I would trust eddies judgement on the quality and reliability of any
    Movement, he knows a lot more that I do!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Apart from a couple of Seikos, all my autos are 2824s (sheesh!) so the fact that the new Smiths has the Miyota makes it MORE appealing to me. From what I've read, it's a first rate alternative to the ETA, so very much looking forward to it. (Come on, Eddie!)

Quite the opposite, it's a point of particular interest for me.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

When Eddie used to stock the Zeno Explorer with a choice of ETA or Miyota movements I bought the latter as it was cheaper without, in my view, any reduction in quality or efficiency; or to put it another way the ETA-equiped model was unjustifiably more expensive. And of course it functioned perfectly well.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    When Eddie used to stock the Zeno Explorer with a choice of ETA or Miyota movements I bought the latter as it was cheaper without, in my view, any reduction in quality or efficiency; or to put it another way the ETA-equiped model was unjustifiably more expensive. And of course it functioned perfectly well.
    but the eta one is made by cute gnomes working in crystalline caves
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

What watch? Where and when? :lol:

No issue with the movement so long as it is reliable and keeps good time. Case, hands and dial are a much higher priority for me.

Id be happy to try a miyota movement. My only concern is the following:-

1 I take it any watchmaker can work on miyota movements without any problems???
    2 And that obtaining parts for them will be easily enough??.

If both those arnt a problem then im happy.

Dave

Of course it is... but only when you're specifically looking for a Swiss watch. Seems fairly obvious to me!

Can only welcome alternative movements. Personally, would have been happy with any movement of any origin as can certainly trust the manufacturer that the quality is up to the standard.

As they say, "buy the seller" ;)

Not a problem for me at all, I'm actually looking forward to buying a watch with one inside. :D

Given that the Japanese seem to have mastered the art of mass producing reliable mechanical watch movements along with exquisite high end craft/manual assembly hand winds I do not think there is much to worry about as far as quality and reliability are concerned . I would like to be in on this one.

Never had any issues with a Miyota & can't say that about ETA, definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Craftsman

IMO it's a good news.
    Then ,watch makers (as Eddie) will have an alternative to ETA 2824.

I quite like my 2824 ,but I'm not opposed to try something else.
    The big question for us ,I mean european customers,is :
    is it easy to service this new movement at reasonable price ?

If you read my reply to Eddie's response, it was a deal breaker for me based on my previous experience of a Miyota movement, which was non-hacking and sounded like someone was sharpening a carving knife every time I moved my arm.
    I also said if the movement in the Everest addressed theses points then I would be tempted to try it. Later replies confirm that they appear to have been, so I will certainly be watching the Timefactors site on Monday.

Craftsman

Wouldn't know as I have neither an ETA or miyota movement but looking forward no less.
    AND if a big if here: there's an issue with the movement, I have spare omega movements I can used

Eric

Is the movement decorated?
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman

Foxy
    Here's all the info you need about the 9015
    http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/9015/spec.html
    The only advantage in a 2824-2 is the screw regulator which allows us to adjust the watch accuracy with ease where else the miyota has a standard regulator but it doesn't mean it can't achieve the accuracy either. I am only speaking theoretically.

Eric

Craftsman

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    None of Eddie's are decorated, other than the 5 and the 20, are they?

Doesn't seem much point with a solid case back and as long as the finish is sufficient to ensure that the performance is on spec.

Grand Master

For me this makes the watch more interesting, I really would like to try this very well received movement.
    It's quite clear, actually rather obvious, that the person for whom a Miyota was a "deal-breaker" did not know that this was actually a new movement with the same sort of refinements as a good 2892 or similar, not the basic auto they sell to Laco, Junkers etc. And if this watch had one of those 8203 or 8215 movements, which are both a bit clickety-clack for a watch with an otherwise premium build, he'd have a point.
    Is the boring 2824 preferred by most, or are there more people who would like to try out this miyota movement?
    No 2824 obsession here to see. Move along ;).

This new movement has no track record but it is pretty simple, and is probably very well backed. I don't share the general admiration for the ETA 2892 so I'd be happy to try it out.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    It's quite clear, actually rather obvious, that the person for whom a Miyota was a "deal-breaker" did not know that this was actually a new movement with the same sort of refinements as a good 2892 or similar, not the basic auto they sell to Laco, Junkers etc. And if this watch had one of those 8203 or 8215 movements, which are both a bit clickety-clack for a watch with an otherwise premium build, he'd have a point.
    No 2824 obsession here to see. Move along ;).

This new movement has no track record but it is pretty simple, and is probably very well backed. I don't share the general admiration for the ETA 2892 so I'd be happy to try it out.
    Nobody was talking about an obsession :) .

Just trying to find out the opinion of my fellow forum membersconcerning the use of a non-Swiss movement.........

Daddel.

Grand Master

Just trying to find out the opinion of my fellow forum membersconcerning the use of a non-Swiss movement.........
    I think the typical buyer of a watch like this from a brand like this will be more interested in the engineering content, so it will be interesting to see if the movement type is promoted. I also don't think that having a 2824 is a drawback (they are after all a very safe option) at this level.

The typical 82xx Miyotas are probably too low rent for a watch like this. If this new 9015 did not exist, the 2824 is one of the few movements that would do the job at the right price, even given their inflated cost these days. Otherwise it's a Soprod 2982 clone, something from Sellita that's probably just as expensive, or a lower-beat, non-hacking 2842 - which is similar to the Miyota 82xx.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

I think the typical buyer of a watch like this from a brand like this will be more interested in the engineering content, so it will be interesting to see if the movement type is promoted. I also don't think that having a 2824 is a drawback (they are after all a very safe option) at this level.

The typical 82xx Miyotas are probably too low rent for a watch like this. If this new 9015 did not exist, the 2824 is one of the few movements that would do the job at the right price, even given their inflated cost these days. Otherwise it's a Soprod 2982 clone, something from Sellita that's probably just as expensive, or a lower-beat, non-hacking 2842 - which is similar to the Miyota 82xx.
    The 6R15 (or whatever SII's equivalent is called) would have done, too.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetboy
    Foxy
    Here's all the info you need about the 9015
    http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/9015/spec.html
    The only advantage in a 2824-2 is the screw regulator which allows us to adjust the watch accuracy with ease where else the miyota has a standard regulator but it doesn't mean it can't achieve the accuracy either. I am only speaking theoretically.

Eric
    And the 2824 rotor winds in both directions. :)

It looks really good. I'm pleased to see it has direct centre seconds, so no more juddering second hand.
    It's just a shame they didn't make it a 100% drop in replacement for the 2892. It's so close - the same stem height, the same position and size for the date window, a similar thickness, but the dial feet are just a tiny bit out. Otherwise Eddie could presumably have easily made Swiss and Japanese versions of the Everest, like with the old Zex.

Let's face it: Miyota movements have always looked cheap...sheet metal bridges, gears, and rotors, plus little or no decoration. By contrast most ETAs are very pleasing to the eye.

In my long experience with both, the Miyotas have performed in bullet-proof fashion while a lot of ETAs have niggling problems.

Just sayin'... :wink:

Blog Entries

THe 2824 is a fine movement, never had a bad example so far.
    The one in my Kingston runs better than every Rolex I've owned, 0 seconds in a week!!!
    But with all the fuss about the Swiss movements and delivery to outsiders, the new Miyota will be a welcome newcomer, if performing well in the long run.
    Indeed shame about the regulator, but I really don't know how much extra trouble that is for an experienced watchmaker.

Daddel.

I didnīt say it was a dealbreaker, although I thought it. But after seeing a picture of the movement, I realised it was not a cheap movement with plastic parts, but a very interesting one. So the Miyota went from being a dealbreaker to being a dealmaker....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger

Doesn't seem much point with a solid case back and as long as the finish is sufficient to ensure that the performance is on spec.

A non-decorated movement in a solid case case back watch seemed to be the topic of much debate and anger and people were never going to buy from that brand again a couple of weeks ago....... :D. Hopefully this will not be the case with Eddies new watch

Quote Originally Posted by SIB
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger

A non-decorated movement in a solid case case back watch seemed to be the topic of much debate and anger and people were never going to buy from that brand again a couple of weeks ago....... :D. Hopefully this will not be the case with Eddies new watch
    Difference is in the pre-sale disclosure. The Everest movement has been disclosed fully. The other movement was only described.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    I didnīt say it was a dealbreaker, although I thought it. But after seeing a picture of the movement, I realised it was not a cheap movement with plastic parts, but a very interesting one. So the Miyota went from being a dealbreaker to being a dealmaker....

I am quite excited because I win on both ends
    1. if it runs not to specs, I can regulate it to specs
    2. if it runs good, then its good!

Eric

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SIB
    That's a fair point, but there was some misdirection on the part of the R*chemont group luxury brand, and there's the small matter of the price, which was 12-13 times higher ;).

The standard Miyota 9015 appears to have a bit of decorating on it anyway, some perlage on the bridge and a sunburst rotor with an edge that looks like it's sintered. Would like to know how quiet it is in operation, whether there's any wobble, and what the winding and setting is like. The 82xx calibre movements are a bit clunky in those respects.

You've got to be joking?!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    You've got to be joking?!
    Afraid not mate it was some Panerai watch which, whilst admitedly higher priced than Eddies offering, was the cause of great concern and outrage when a member of another forum took the back off it and found out it didn't have a decorated movement :roll:. As far as i understand (and i may well be wrong as i didn't read all 40+ pages of the ensuing post....), Panerai never said the movement inside the case was decorated however there was an expectation on peoples part that as the watch cost so much it should naturally be so.

Tempest have just announced that they cannot get enough 2824s and so are switching to the 9015, with an (undisclosed) discounted price. The 9015 is a good movement but ultimately not as refined as a top grade 2824 and at the premium at which the Tempest is targeted I would rather have the ETA.

As long as it keeps good time I don't see a problem.

Master

Before too long, there are goign to be more and more manufacturers using Miyota movements as the Swatch group put the clamps on suppying ETA movements. Nothing wrong with Miyota. Swatch will be seeing Swiss competition coming from the East again. You would have thought they have learned their lesson from before, whcih is how Swatch was created in the first place :roll: