closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprised Rolex 5513 owner

Surprised Rolex 5513 owner

Saw a chap at work in the canteen, haven't spoken to him in a while and noticed that he had a Rolex Sub on. He told me how he always wanted one and that 28 years ago, just after he got paid, he went into the local watch shop in Cardiff, and bought it for the princely sum of £350, and that he didn't go for the date version cos it was another £50!

He clearly uses it as his tool watch as it is well worn, plexi is badly scratched, but it is totally genuine, never been polished or serviced, but still keeps great time. Managed to take a (not great) pic of it with my iPhone.

When I asked him how much he thought it was worth, he said a "mate" told him it was worth around £700. Now I'm no expert but knowing how hard it is to find a totally genuine, unmolested 5513 with 1 owner and box and papers, I'd imagine it's worth significantly more...!

I said I'd post this up to see what people's views were on it.

Blog Entries

Re: Surprised Rolex 5513 owner

Tell him I'll stretch to a grand but that's it :wink:

£2.5k if you factor in a service etc and £3k + if he had the presence of mind to keep all the original boxes and papers etc

Nice watch

He says he's still got the box and everything that came with it.

Would the plexi polish up or would replacing it devalue it?

2K easy and thats a nice watch to have the 5513, good to see someone uses the watch what it was made for, Wearing ! lol :D

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut
    £2.5k if you factor in a service etc and £3k + if he had the presence of mind to keep all the original boxes and papers etc

Nice watch
    Not many 5513 matte dial complete sets for even close to £3K.

If it does have full B&P's, then it should be worth £4k plus all day long.

Thanks chaps, I didn't really feel informed enough to give him a value, I just knew it would be worth more than he thought, think even if I told him it was worth £2.5k he'd be over the moon, thought I doubt he'd sell it after all this time!

and SSK007, you're absolutely right, he has used the watch as a tool, which is what the watch was originally designed for!

Quote Originally Posted by 12manywatches
    Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut

Nice watch

No but you could pick one up for around £3.6 ish so as i said factor in a Rolex service and £3k+ seems about right to me

[quote=watch-nut]
    Quote Originally Posted by "watch-nut":3kg3q5ch

Nice watch

No but you could pick one up for around £3.6 ish private so as i said factor in a Rolex service and £3k+ seems about right to me[/quote:3kg3q5ch]

I do like to see a well used watch even at that price, its what it was made for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza
    Thanks chaps, I didn't really feel informed enough to give him a value, I just knew it would be worth more than he thought, think even if I told him it was worth £2.5k he'd be over the moon, thought I doubt he'd sell it after all this time!

and SSK007, you're absolutely right, he has used the watch as a tool, which is what the watch was originally designed for!

Looks like a maxi to me, nearer 5kGBP with B&P
    C.

[quote=watch-nut]
    Quote Originally Posted by "watch-nut":2jdm091d

Nice watch

No but you could pick one up for around £3.6 ish so as i said factor in a Rolex service and £3k+ seems about right to me[/quote:2jdm091d]

You're well off if you value box and papers at £500,and if you know of any box sets for £3600 do let me know as i'd be keen to snap them up.

Decent 5513 Box sets fetch anywhere between £4000-£6500 depending on numerous factors.

I would expect primo examples to have the following.....

Punched papers not written......possibly original purchase receipt.
    Unpolished case.
    Correct caseback.
    Movement in good working order.
    Original T19 Superdome plexi.
    Original dial and hands in perfect condition with patina match.
    Original period correct bezel insert with nice even colour in tip top condition.
    Correct 93150 bracelet and clasp with virtually no stretch.
    Correct box set inner and outer.
    Period correct anchor,calendar,translation booklet,swimpruf tag with matching serial no,leather wallet. :D

Thanks for all the comments chaps, I wonder what his reaction will be when I show him this feedback...!?

I really want to polish that crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist
    I'll make him aware of you're offer :wink:

Master

nice watch,don't think i would sell it if i had it for that long either.
    maybe clean up the crystal if it,s possible otherwise i would keep it as is.

Thanks for all the comments chaps, I wonder what his reaction will be when I show him this feedback...!?
    Stick it on here for him and he can book an exotic holiday, perhaps? :D

Surprised Rolex 5513 owner

Nice but looks like it needs a new bracelet and just about everything else. This is where the 'classic Rolex' thing leaves me cold - it just looks knackered and will need so much replaced (remembering a Rolex service on a watch this age is £950) that I would steer clear. It sounds like it has been pretty neglected too and you will probably end up replacing everything bar the case hands and dial. I owned a few 5513's over the last 10 years and never paid more than £1500 for one. I know there are all manner of dial variations etc but IMHO £1500 is what they are really worth. Unfortunately because it has a crown on the dial prices seem to have gone bananas!

It's amazing how people value authenticity differently... for some people the fact that it's in its original state, no service, therefore everything is as it left the shop 28 years ago is of great value. For others they want the look and feel of a vintage, but they want it to look and feel like a new watch. No right or wrong here at all, but fascinating all the same!

I've got similar dilema with my Omega Constellation. The dial has a pitted look and the bracelet and crystal are marked. It's 20 years old, do I send it off to Omega and get them to replace the crystal, dial and polish the bracelet, or do i keep it as is?? I'm never gonna sell it cos it's sentimental value is too much, so for me do i want something perfect or original???

Discuss...

So tempting isn't it lol

Rare with papers easily worth 4k - 5k. Can't beat the 5513 pure class!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    Nice but looks like it needs a new bracelet and just about everything else. This is where the 'classic Rolex' thing leaves me cold - it just looks knackered and will need so much replaced (remembering a Rolex service on a watch this age is £950) that I would steer clear. It sounds like it has been pretty neglected too and you will probably end up replacing everything bar the case hands and dial. I owned a few 5513's over the last 10 years and never paid more than £1500 for one. I know there are all manner of dial variations etc but IMHO £1500 is what they are really worth. Unfortunately because it has a crown on the dial prices seem to have gone bananas!
    If it were mine i'd get it serviced by a Rolex trained watchmaker.
    Refurb the bracelet myself and sell it for whatever i could get,put that money towards a nice used example with less stretch possibly even keeping the original clasp.
    Replace the plexi or give the original a good polish.
    Give her a sympathetic case refurb.

Job done and with all the bells & whistles it'd be worth proper money and a nice clean Maxi dial example to boot.

I hear ya with regards to how much they go for now but in all honesty they were too cheap before and people got wise to that......once you jump off the train it's a bitch to get back on.

These are gonna look like bargains when the 14060's are finally discontinued. Modern pieces have had to play catch up for a few years on the vintage,but now they are there the vintage prices will steadily rise once more.

If it were mine i'd get it serviced by a Rolex trained watchmaker.
    My thoughts exactly.

I'd take it to Bill Rice for a sympathetic refurb.

Craftsman

Could you take a pic of his face when you tell him it's value :lol:

Craftsman

I really love stories like this, will be something great to leave to his son (if he has one!) or can fund a lovely cruise with his wife one year :)

Keep an eye on this one for reference.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-SUBMARI ... 500wt_1202

Craftsman

This lol

Master

I've got similar dilema with my Omega Constellation. The dial has a pitted look and the bracelet and crystal are marked. It's 20 years old, do I send it off to Omega and get them to replace the crystal, dial and polish the bracelet, or do i keep it as is?? I'm never gonna sell it cos it's sentimental value is too much, so for me do i want something perfect or original???

Discuss...
    If its got sentimental value I reckon you should leave it as original as possible and let it grow old gracefully. Scuffs, scratches and dings are all part of the watches history and experience :) .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner

Discuss...
    If its got sentimental value I reckon you should leave it as original as possible and let it grow old gracefully. Scuffs, scratches and dings are all part of the watches history and experience :) .
    Yup, that's my feeling too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The scratches and dings are proof of the pudding, proof of a usefull life. It is the ´sabi´ part of ´wabi-sabi´.

Also is makes such a wathc unique and telling a story.

´Refurbishing´ is not ony removing material, it also removes the history ´written´ on it.
    Clearing up a crystal that renders a watch illegible is correcting a defect but replacing it with new is already stretching it all imo.

I see the sense in this logic - but things have moved on substantially in this market and you would be lucky to find a working 5513 for £1500.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner

Discuss...
    Yup, that's my feeling too.
    Me too.

That's why I'd send it to someone like Bill Rice. That way you can take full control of the situation and have as much or as little done as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I see the sense in this logic - but things have moved on substantially in this market and you would be lucky to find a working 5513 for £1500.
    Well if he does, he's got a buyer once he does come to sell it... as I'll happily pay £1,501 for it :D

I'd be tempted to give it a sympathetic restoration and keep on wearing it. It is a beauty in my eyes.

Do let us know how he reacts when you tell him the good news (and of course tell him that we need much better pictures!)

Its gorgeous as it is .... wouldn't touch it

only perhaps polish the plexi a bit and leave the big deep scratches - thats history on there and would be a shame to lose it

I think he needs to be made aware its not worth £700 and is worth 'a good couple of grand'...

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib
    Its gorgeous as it is .... wouldn't touch it

only perhaps polish the plexi a bit and leave the big deep scratches - thats history on there and would be a shame to lose it

I think he needs to be made aware its not worth £700 and is worth 'a good couple of grand'...
    Agree with you completely on both counts. I'd love a Rolex like this
    "A man of little significance"

I would love to see some better pictures! You don't often see them in this condition, but it really has a special charm.

As long as it's working fine, I say leave it as it is. (maybe with the gentlest polishing of the crystal)

Is this true?

even if you polish or change the plexi, chances are it will end up as it is now soon.

Quote Originally Posted by explorer 1
    even if you polish or change the plexi, chances are it will end up as it is now soon.
    Are you the same chap who says "no point in washing your car, it'll only get dirty again"? :roll:

Needs a Plexi change as I doubt its not waterproof.

Other than that leave as it.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Some great comments chaps, much appreciated, he's going to be quite shocked when he sees how many people have responded to this post! He's going to come in the office tomorrow and said he will bring in the original box and all the bits with it, I'll bring in my newly purchased DSLR and try to take some better pics of it!

Wonder what he will make of all this fuss (particularly those of u who offered to polish the plexi!)

28 years without a service! What sort of time does it keep?

Quote Originally Posted by Windandwave
    28 years without a service! What sort of time does it keep?
    Well he did think it was still 1997... :lol:

Master

I think it looks awful!!
    I wouldnt want to wear any watch that looks that scuffed up, I agree the history etc... but I should think it will need a new bracelet, new plexi, dial, hands and a full on service of the movement. It could turn into a money pit.
    I like nice shiney pristine watches, call me a watch snob if you like. :lol:

When i bought this beaut it was in a state not far from your friends.
    The plexi was buggered, bezel wouldn't move (filled with muck and skin and other lovely things) case was a little be marked, the only redeeming factor was the bracelet wasn't too stretched.

About half an hour of work on the jewelers bench (buffing and sorting the bezel) and 15 mins on the polishing mop and this is how it came out.

A little bit of attention can go a long way...

If it where me, considering its a full set, i would keep it as original as possible, don't change a thing, even the Plexi, a good polish will bring it up like new, and to a collector would be worth so much more! As any old 5513 could have a new plexi along with all the bells and whistles of being "like new", very rarely will you see one complete and original...

Just my 2 pence but hope that helps... Also let us know what he says! :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dougjim8
    When i bought this beaut it was in a state not far from your friends.
    The plexi was buggered, bezel wouldn't move (filled with muck and skin and other lovely things) case was a little be marked, the only redeeming factor was the bracelet wasn't too stretched.

About half an hour of work on the jewelers bench (buffing and sorting the bezel) and 15 mins on the polishing mop and this is how it came out.

A little bit of attention can go a long way...

If it where me, considering its a full set, i would keep it as original as possible, don't change a thing, even the Plexi, a good polish will bring it up like new, and to a collector would be worth so much more! As any old 5513 could have a new plexi along with all the bells and whistles of being "like new", very rarely will you see one complete and original...

Just my 2 pence but hope that helps... Also let us know what he says! :lol:

Thats more like it. 8)

I now want one of these. And I don't even like Rolexes. (OK - I do quite like them but am slightly put off by the bling factor.)

Quote Originally Posted by Windandwave
    I now want one of these. And I don't even like Rolexes. (OK - I do quite like them but am slightly put off by the bling factor.)
    Bling! 5513! My god man the honest royal navy divers amongst us (im not one but worked with one) would spit on yer eye mate!
    Cracking bit of kit with a bling free persona..get yourself one and become a better man.. i did and its slowly working (very slowly... :) )